Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun Series

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
There's also this nifty thing once that a thri-kreen may hear a high-pitched sound no one else will hear (if he's the leader iirc).

mutile

Novice
Thri-kreen are the best, a party of Thri-kreen are unstoppable, even tough bosses are rendered useless by their paralyzing bite.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Mmm. Things DO get easier if you multi-class. Damn, I wish there's a mod for this game's interface. Fucking pickup drove me insane and the buy sell interface gets tiresome after a while.

Also, I like it that the game pulled no punches. Fights against dozens of guards are common. And fucking items disappear after the 20+++ bodies hit the floor.

Buggy, yet decent. Thri-keens are bullshit powerful - but I don't understand why they kept missing Dagolar slimes even though I used the Spiritual Hammer? I thought this weapon is supposed to be magic weapon replacement?

Erebus

Arcane
Mass Domination is extremely useful in the Dagolar fight, since it can easily turn most of his slimes against him.

mutile

Novice
RK47 said:
- but I don't understand why they kept missing Dagolar slimes even though I used the Spiritual Hammer? I thought this weapon is supposed to be magic weapon replacement?

According to the manual, Dagolar slimes are immune to crushing weapons.

RK47

Patron
That makes sense! Too bad the game feedback is pretty poor. I'm still confused when my character AC still remains the same even though I'm on Barkskin etc.

mutile

Novice
RK47 said:
That makes sense! Too bad the game feedback is pretty poor. I'm still confused when my character AC still remains the same even though I'm on Barkskin etc.

Barkskin lowers the base armor class, so if you are wearing good enough armor it won't make a difference.

Stabwound

Arcane
When I played DS as a kid (more than once) I would always make a party of all half-giants. Incredibly easy if you do this, though, as far as I remember.

I don't think your party build really matters much overall.

Very, very good game though. One of my favorites, and I am getting the itch to play it again.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS IS SERIOUSTLY ONE OF THE REASONS I LOVE THE CODEX

I GREW UP BEFORE THIS SHIT CAME OUT BUT IT STILOL FLEW OVER MY RADAR I AJM PLAYING IT NOW AND HAVING LOTSW OF FUN

DESPITE BEING D AND D THE SETTING MAKES SHIT COOL KINDA LIKE PLANESCAPE

I ALREADY RESTARTED ONCE AFTER I ESCAPED THE FIRST CITY MY BEST GUY BESIDES MY GIANT HAD LIKE 25 HP AND IT WAS BECOMING ALMOST A SOLO EFFORT

I HAVE A GIANT GLADIATOR, A GIANT FIGHTER PSIONICIST AND A THRIKREEN FIGHTER PSIONICIST DRUID AND A HALF ELF FIGHTER THEIF PRESERVER

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I MUST BE RETARTED

EVERYTHING WAS SUPER EASY TILL THE LAST BATTLE I THINK I SKATED THROUGH TO MUCH SHIT CAUSE NOT ALL MY MULTICLASS GUYS WERE MAXED AND NOW I AM GETTING FUCKED UPI THINK I SKIPPED LOTS OF SHIT

FUN ENOUGH THOUGH RATHER THAN CRY I WILL START OVER THE GAME IS QUICK AND FUN ENOUGH

BROS THIS GAME SEEMS LIKE AN INTERMEDIATE STEP TOWARDS WHAT FALLOUT AND PLANESCAPE WERE TRYING TO DO WITH THE DIALOG SKILL CHECKS AND SKILL CHECKS FOR DIFFERENT SHIT FOR THE PARTY LEADER ALSO THE ENVIRONMENT INTERACTIVITY REMINDED ME ALOT OF FALLOT

TWO OUT OF TWO BROFISTS FOR THIS GAME IT IS A SHAME I MISSED IT WHEN IT CAME OUT

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BRO ITS N OSHAME IF YOUR PLAIYNG IT NOW :bro:

The big battle (well, the last wave only, if you invoke the genie) is tough no matter who you have in your party. But it is possible to miss some quests, and there's one weapon in particular, one of the two best ones, that can be easily missed if you do 2 quests out of order. If you've completed them then you should be able to figure out which ones they are, do them in order, and get the weapon (Terror Blade).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL BRO I AM ABSENT A TERROR BLADE

THE GAME IS GOOD ENOGH THOUGH I WILL BE BACK SOON AGAIN THE SETTING AND THE PSIONICS AND SHIT IS COOL

I WENT PAST SOME SHIT CAUSE EVERYONE SAID THE GAME WAS PISS EASY AND IT WAS TILL THE SECOND HALF OF THE LAST BATTLE YEAH I GOT THE GENIE EVEN HAD THE MOTHERFUCKER HEAL ME IN BETWEEN

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
shit dragonslayer reward sword is shit :rage:

and blobert I hope you met dagolar at least that guy is a card

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THAT IS ANOTHER THING I DIDNT MEET DAGOLAR

I KEPT PRETTY SPOILER FREE EXCEPT FOR A FEW PIXEL HUNTING THINGS THAT PISSED ME OFF

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
well bro darksun is one of the games that you can replay without thinking the starting areas are getting in the way of real fun because the real fun starts once a shielded announcer starts a fight between a mage and a rampager and sometimes the mage wins hells yeah

Nlcxs.jpg

truly a face that launches a thousand arrow clicks

also has anyone ever managed to keep the allies from each village alive in the final battle it was kinda a little objective I set for myself back in the day and it always turned out horribly

Stabwound

Arcane
Fuck it, gonna download this game. Been thinking of replaying it for a while now, and you fucks sealed the deal.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
BLOBRO, do you have a psionicist? Have you tried Mass Domination? That's what made the last battle winnable for me on my last paythrough.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I HAVE 2 PSIONISCISTS MAYBE THEY JUST ARENT GOOD ENOGH

BAD GUYS ALWAYS SEEM TO GET INITIATIVE AND HIT FIRST THEN WHEN I GET A SHOT ONLY CAN GET 2 OR SO GUYS

MAYBE JUST NEED TO THROW ALL MY POINTS INTO IT

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO AGAIN THANKS BUT IM NOT GONNA AGONIZE OVER THIS THE GAME IS FUN ENOGH FOR ANOTHER PLAYTHROUGH SOON SO I WILL MAKE SURE TO HIT EVERYTHING BEFORE I GET TO THE LAST BATTLE

RK47

Patron
A shitload of web, entangle, grease will change things pretty quick. Druids and Clerics are pretty important - but I do find the Mass Doms a hit and miss. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't.

Waterd103

Novice
I played DS more than any other rpg game, i love the interface. I impose rules on myself because the game has so many broken stuff that with it its impossible.

Fighter/Gladiator/Ranger: Dual wielding is broken. There are no penalties So if you dual wield you do insane amounts of damage. Half giants are broken if you roll a 22+ in strength you hit too often too much, and the hp you have is insane. Strength is broken stat, you get +0 up to 15 then +1 at both 16 and 17, then +3 at 18 and +4 at 19. Pretty weird scaling. In any case high level strenght+ dual wielding , fighters are unstoppable.

Psionicst: OP is right psi sucks. Except they have the most broken and powerfull ability in the game, mass domination. I have made a team of 4 psi and just walked through the game mass domination everthing. But outside of that, they blow. I play with no mass domination for that reason.

Preserver: They have haste. Most broken haste, huge range, double speed, double attack, combinie it with dual wielding and you do the same every battle, haste the fighters, and proceed to clean.
For that reason I dont use haste.

Cleric/druid: Hold person is too powerful and they can just make all persons in the game useless.

Multiclassing: Super broken, have Mages with the resistance of a fighter.

The optimal team is 4 fighters with splashes of cleric for hold person, Perserver for haste and psionicst for mass domination.

That's what broken in the game, use any of that and the game is easy, use it all and you cant lose But i dont use any of that and i find the game challenging and fun.

mutile

Novice
Waterd103 said:
Psionicst: OP is right psi sucks. Except they have the most broken and powerfull ability in the game, mass domination. I have made a team of 4 psi and just walked through the game mass domination everthing. But outside of that, they blow. I play with no mass domination for that reason.

Ego whip is even better, especially in situations like the arena because it is not considered an attack you can easily ego whip all your opponents as they are walking toward you, good way to get a head start if you are doing another playthrough, allowed me to defeat in the starting arena a Mastyrial, Mountain Stalker and a couple of Dune reapers, easily in one battle without being attacked.

It is quite easy to max your level before leaving the arena, the game may be too easy but saying psi sucks is not true.

RK47

Patron
yeah, the problem with magic / psi attacks in game are way too binary in terms of effect. In combat, Mass Dominations are simply much better than any domination spell to offer, except if you're facing lesser numbers than yourself....which is pretty rare IMO.

I stopped playing because most battles are just a stompfest...heals are shit in this game. Offense is the best defense. And once my Thri-keen gets hasted, the rape begins.

:salute:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELLL BROS MADE IT THROUGH WITH A DIFFERENT PARTY

WEBS AND FIREWALLS AND A GROUP OF GUYS ATTACKING MY FIRE ELEMENTAL FOR ZERO DAMAGE AND ACTUALLY IT WAS THE ELEMENTAL WHO WENT THROUGH THE WEB AND PICKED THE LAST GUYS OFF

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I found that Mass Domination only works well when you level the ability up to lvl20 at least. Even then some monsters (rampagers and the big black mastyrials) tend to resist. Funnily enough those are vulnerable to Ego Whip and usually it's enough to have Ego Whip at 17 or 18 to work reliably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom