Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun Series

GreyViper

Prophet
To be honest its one of the few AD&D games that had psionic and got it somewhat right. In my last play through that was 10 years ago, most used skills were healing one and disintegrate never really was fan of mass domination.
Btw does anyone know what you can do whit the cooked bird that you can kill at the arena and then cook in fire?

And to finish of this post here is the reason psionic is so awesome.

Elan named Silijic escapes from a slave caravan, and wanders out into the desert to live and develop in seclusion, and plot his revenge. He stumbles across the ruins of the destroyed and ruined ancient city of Kish.

A long dead Champion/Dragon/SK named Sargon had made his home there, until he infuriated the Dragon by using the slaves allocated for the levy from his city to power the 28th stage of his metamorphosis. He had accomplished this in utter secrecy, without any of the telltale economic signs of research and construction. Borys arrived for the levy, and Sargon instead attempted to present him with an indestructible tablet detailing the process of Dragon metamorphosis using only a fraction of the usual resources, due to an increased use of Psionics in the process. Sargon wanted to raise all of the SKs to full Dragon status, and proceed to conquer the lands beyond the Known World(the lands included in any printed material), and maintaining the Prison of Rajaat with so many full Dragons and his newer psionic-intensive psionic Enchantments, the need for the levy would be eliminated. The tablelands would slowly come back to life, if the biggest defilers defiled less often.

The Dragon was not inclined to let anyone else match his power, and he did not want the sorceror kings to be free from his levy or his rule. The Dragon cared not for the world beyond the Jagged Cliffs or the Sea of Silt. Here, in the Tablelands, he was the mightiest of all, and the scarred state of the land reminded everyone there of his power and rage, every single day. Who knew what lived in the rest of the world, unscarred by his rage? Perhaps entities mightier than himself, who would come and take his lands and nations and slaves and power from him.

The Dragon would not lose his lofty place, where he commanded all life and death. He wanted the levy to be needed, so he could hoard slaves and peasants and nations and kings as his personal trophies of his war against Rajaat. Sargon's blueprints for an easier, more rapid transformation would take everything from him. So he took the tablet, and discarded it in a deep cave in the desert, so far down that nobody would ever find it, because they wouldn't be able to drag enough supplies and water for the spiraling, miles deep cave he dug to contain it. The air down there was so poor in oxygen, no creature that drew breath could survive.

Borys waited until Sargon began the metamorphosis to 9th stage dragon,(or so Borys thought) and slew him and his entire city. Sargon, however, was not becoming a higher level Dragon, he was becoming something entirely different. With the help of his Templars, and every Psionicist or Wizard in his city, Sargon had been in the throes of a transformation from 8th stage Dragon to 10th stage Avangion,and Borys had just killed a mighty chance for the restoration of the known world. However, when Sargon realized none of the other SKs had ever recieved his gift of knowledge, he secretly sent a copy of his research, and personal journals on ecology and the impact of defiling and genocide, to his only true friend among the Champions, Keltis, who would one day become Oronis of Kurn.

When Silijic destroyed the slave caravan, he manifested the Elan's innate power to sustain themselves on 1 PP a day(repletion), with no need for water or nourishment. He entered the nearest cave he could find, and just kept exploring deeper and deeper. He was a strong defiler, and was moderately strong in the Way. Something deep in the cave was emanating dark power and knowledge, and he wanted it. How fortunate that he had been caught by slavers in his wasteland encampment, after depleting his PP and daily spells in research. The slavers didn't suspect his nature, and treated him like any other prisoner. Escape had been easy. He simply killed them all with minor manifestations. Then he had seen the cave, and wandered in. Absently, he psionically rent a chunk of obsidian from the cave wall, and began to psionically mold it into a sphere. One never knew when they would need some extra PP, and obsidian made for easy storage if crafted properly. And the cave was absolutely encrusted with it, the further down he went. He would only guess later that the deep, smooth obsidian lining was the result of Borys the Dragon pumping everything he had into the psionics driving him deeper into the earth, turning the rock to magma, which cooled to obsidian. Borys didn't remain long enough for the tunnel to cool, and had no idea that he had just inadvertantly created a perfect conduit for the storage of Psionic energy, which Silijic would name 'The Dragon's Coil'.

One thousand years later, Silijic burst forth from the earth with all the force of a volcanic eruption.he had found the Coil, and the treasure in its deepest reaches. He used the Way to decipher the instructions for Dragon metamorphosis, and used the Coil to store the psionic energy required. With no other tasks before him, and only 1 pp daily required to sustain him, Silijic amassed a battery of Psionic power capable of fueling his transformation. Midway through his stages of metamorphosis, he discovered the second use of the Dragon's Coil - it let him absorb life force for dragon magic from any source up to a mile away, and two miles vertically. Silijic was careful not to draw too much at once, lest he be discovered. His secrecy paid off, and even as Dregoth was defeated and Tectuktitlay's Living Vortex was set free by those who defeated him, Silijic drew strong and deep from the lifeforce of everything within his reach, for the final stage of his transformation. The Living Vortex took notice, and attached itself to him. Silijic burst forth from the earth in triumphant fury, ready to rain terror on any slaver he came across before he left to kill the Sorceror Kings,to consolidate his base of power. Then he would leave to conquer the unknown lands described and guessed at in Sargon's journal.

Chloe

Novice
Well as far as the benefit goes, you could throw in lots of attacks in each round which is pretty much useful as far as your level goes. And yes, you should definitely multiclass him with cleric since a multiclass char is at an advantage here. Please reconsider using Psy again as it is one of the topnotches that even we use. Even though entangling at higher level won’t come much to our needs, it is still beneficial.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IS THE SEQUEL WORTH PLAYING!!>>>??!

I HAVE READ LOTS OF PLACES IT IS SORTA SHIT BUT NOT ENOUGH BRO ADVICE

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BROS IS THE SEQUEL WORTH PLAYING!!>>>??!

I'd play it once. back in the day I saw the problems immediately after I started the game proper much like my first hour with baldur's gate

the mines and parrot puzzle guy were good though

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The sequel was pushed out the door far too soon, and it shows. It looks uglier, it's FULL of bugs and glitches (even moreso than the first), and generally the overarching plot is not as interesting (instead of uniting the villages you get to pick up the four elemental artifacts). Not a bad game by any means, and some of the individual bits are great (such as the mines, as sgc mentioned), but the whole isn't as coherent. If you really like the first then definitely give the second a shot. Prepare for some potential headaches in DOSBox though. VOD PMed me with problems he was having with it, and when I tried it I ran into the same ones without finding a way around them (and that's on top of the game's original bugs).

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
At least the site contained something interesting:

If you do not have David Noonan's article on defiling from Dragon 315, here is a synopsis. I think these rules work better than the several different, more elaborate versions from the 1990's sets, and also match the fiction and concept better.

An arcane spellcaster when casting a spell may choose to defile. This enhances the magic, renders some of the surrounding terrain completely infertile for at least centuries, and earns one or more defiler points. Silencing or stilling a spell earns one defiler point. Heightening a spell earns one per spell level. Empowering a spell earns three. Extending a spell earns two. Quickening or maximizing a spell earns four. Recovering an expended spell earns two per spell level. Recovering an expended slot earns three per spell level. Avoiding an XP cost earns one per 250 XP. Avoiding a material component cost earns 1 per 500 gp saved.

The radius defiled depends on the vegetation. In a forest or garden, it is 1 foot per defiler point. In a grassland, active farmland, or abundant mudflat, it is 5 feet per defiler point. In an oasis, scrub plain, or inactive farmland it is 10 feet per defiler point. In infertile terrain it is 20, and in barren terrain it is 30.

If you have accumulated even one defiler point, you take -2 on wisdom and charisma skill checks. If you have eleven or more, you have -2 on constitution, and get fatigued after even one minute of exertion. If you have twenty-one or more it's -2 on wisdom and charisma checks. If you have thirty-one or more, you have -4 on constitution and your alignment has become evil. If you have forty-one or more, you become an undead defiler who draws life energy from any living thing.

If you have even a single defiler point, it can be detected magically.

You can only remove defiler points by meditating among plants. Removing a single point takes two hours in a garden or forest, or four hours in active farmland, or a day in the badlands, or a week in barren land. I would suggest the process should be painful.

Alternatively, you can remove the penalties by embracing the role of defiler. This way, you accumulate a defiler score. Two defiler points becomes one point of defiler score. This becomes a penalty on saves against certain spells cast by druids and probably also by good clergy. The higher your defiler score, the stronger your defiler aura. You can never reduce your defiler score.

Well this seems to be a good game. Without knowing what to do and certainly not bothering to look it up, I have a half-giant fighter-cleric, thri-keen ranger/psionicist/cleric, human preserver mage (he seems to suck butt) and elf fighter/thief/psionicist. Just killed all the guards like an asshole. Some questions :

Mouse cursor lags, the various interfaces lag greatly, scrolling the screen lags like no tomorrow. Is it something typical for this game, or just shit with dosbox I haven't figured out?

Does the party leader matter in some way? I figured maybe the thief can do something, but I have no clue. Does dexterity help with thievery?

And what stat psionism uses, what do you resist it with and what's the success rate?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you are not using reduce person on 4 thri-keen quad wielding scimatars to all be quad wielded by a single thri-keen with enlarge person cast on him you're doing it wrong.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Preservers are quite weak early game due to his poor spell picks, but later on, with Cloud of Confusion and Grease, plus abuse of corners, there's simply nothing stopping your giant and thrikeen front liners from mauling enemies one by one.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I have completed DS: Shattered Lands sometime during 1996-97 and remember having a great time with it. The story was great, the beginning in the gladiator's arena was memorable, I couldn't figure out how most of the spells and combat system worked out but I managed to play it through and enjoyed every bit of it. I'm considering playing it again some time soon.

About the second part I read mostly bad things, like being inferior to the first one, having worse graphics etc. I tried playing it about 5 years ago but hadn't the patience and interest to get past the initial location. So I'm thinking to give it a second chance and asking if it's worth playing. Even if the prologue is not as good as in the first part, maybe progressing in the game could make things interesting and bring back the flavor of the original. So what's your experience with this one?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Indeed.

Also apparently typing

Wake of the Ravager site:www.rpgcodex.net

in google is incredibly difficult. Put more points into INT next time.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
This could have spawned a p. healthy discussion about Dark Sun games and the setting and D&D and what not. :(

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Jaesun said:
Indeed.

Also apparently typing

Wake of the Ravager site:www.rpgcodex.net

in google is incredibly difficult. Put more points into INT next time.

Fucking christ

Are you gonna lock the thread too, shithead? You're a reponsable little boy, aren't you?

Why don't you suck my dick!

fight de powah

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
8864.png

I might have to play through these games again soon. Anyone know if the versions of Ravager floating about have 'The Bug' in them? There is a pre setup version at DJ oldgames for anyone that is lazy regarding dosbox...I wonder if that version is the patched one...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'd replay the first game first. It's great, and if the last time you played it wast 1996/97, it's time to do it again :D

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I have found a package on isohunt containing both games in "GoG style" , preconfigured with dosbox but I haven't tried them yet.

A remake is badly needed, but not with 3D graphics. I wonder why not even fan made clones were attempted. Being an AD&D product require special licensing or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom