Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this becoming a thing now? First that fake Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter and now this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...dungeon-from-the-windows-game-store-dev-warns

Sigman said the person who published Darkest Dungeon on the Windows Game Store was "scamming" the game by selling it illegally.

There are a number of warning signs on Darkest Dungeon's Windows Game Store page. One, it costs £2.59. Darkest Dungeon costs £14.99 on Steam. Two, it's a 2MB download, suggesting it could be some form of spyware. Three, the game's description is written in broken English.

"Darkest Dungeon is a Strategy game.Player will employee, train and control a team of heroes in Darkest Dungeon Game. They will journey through warrens, twisted forests, crypts and other strangling places and they will be confronted by monstrous creatures which are unimaginable with these there comes calamities like stress, disease and famine."

And four, the game is published by someone called Balaji Chowdary, not Red Hook Studios. This does not appear to be the first game Mr. Chowdary has published to the Windows Game Store illegally. His name is listed as the publisher of Lego Batman 3 Beyond Gotham, Watchmen: The End is Nigh and VMware Player.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
/vg/ and /tg/ have a massive population of fetishists which you can find in certain channels on the internet.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Okay... I've ran out of stuff to play and might buckle and buy this game even in EA. How much replay value does it have?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd say it's not a typical replay type game due to the structure of the game. I'd say each dungeon run is kind of like replaying the game, if you know what I mean.

You may restart a few times while getting the hang of it. Once you've got it, and if you get hooked, you'll put in 40 hours easy on a single save file trying to upgrade the town, your teams and kill all the bosses.

I ended up putting in about 90 hours, and am looking forward to the rest of the content.

Edit: If you do buy it, I really hope you like it. It's just straight gaming with fuck all distractions. :incline:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is it randomized and such? I sunk like 200 hours into Dredmor and Isaac so if there's a good variety in heroes you recruit and the dungeons and whatnot I'm sure I'll be happy. It's either that or wait for a Derp Rising 3 sale.

Edit: Nevermind, yeah, the dungeons are procedural.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I for one dig that artwork. It's actually super well drawn.

Talking about the /vg/ stuff, obviously..

Is it randomized and such? I sunk like 200 hours into Dredmor and Isaac so if there's a good variety in heroes you recruit and the dungeons and whatnot I'm sure I'll be happy. It's either that or wait for a Derp Rising 3 sale.

Edit: Nevermind, yeah, the dungeons are procedural.

Playing it is 100x better than watching it, imo. Being in the hotseat, deciding what abilities to use is great. Stress getting maxed out half-way through a dungeon is great - do you exit the dungeon to save your team, or do you push on to finish the dungeon or just to grab another handful of loot?

But I will say this, the game needs more of everything. It is a bit on the simplistic side once you start to master it. It's a good starting point for an even bigger and better experience.

Last edited:

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
YMMW but I played it like mad...and finished everything within 30 hours. Haven't played it since the 18th according to steam. The game is too easy, only has 3 bosses copy pasted at lvl 1, 3 and 6 and lacks enemy variety, more roguelite than roguelike.

Ellef

Deplorable
Yeah, I wish I could tell you it was a 200+ hour romp like Isaac is to most people I know. I'm no good at reflex games so I'll never get to enjoy it.

Ellef

Deplorable
Ah, I thought you meant Dredmor. I gave my opinion on Darkest Dungeon a few posts ago. I enjoyed it for the 30 hours but I don't have any inclination to return to it.

Machine

Arbiter
downloaded daily pirate build from some china torrent site and game is alright but nothing special really...

I dig the art but gameplay is pretty boring and repeatable as fuck, need more different events to make this game any interesting. The whole "stress managment" means you just need 2 "teams" and rotate between them, bfd.

Also, MUH RANDOM GENERATED LEVELS = ROGUELIKE fad really needs to stop tbh, this shit is a casual facebook game that somehow ended up in wrong place.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The game would indeed probably be better if there were more enemy types to butcher, eviscerate, burn, torture and mutilate. Maybe pirates or something.

The game would indeed probably be better if there were more enemy types to butcher, eviscerate, burn, torture and mutilate. Maybe pirates or something.

I don't think so. the gameplay is a bit too simplistic. Additional enemy types will just be reskin of existing enemies due to abilities and AI overlap.
Heck, even existing enemies already overlap each other with only different types to differentiate them due to how the combat mechanics work.

EDITED: And let's not get started on the actual reskins of the enemies type in veteran and champion tier dungeons.
I think that speak volumes of the complexity of the combat mechanics they currently have.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Went ahead and bought it. Played for 3-4 hours. Enjoyable and you get what you can expect from the gameplay videos. It could stand to be a little bit deeper with some more monster variety but apparently that's going to be added before release. Well worth $20. Not sure what some of you were expecting re: combat complexity. It's certainly no worse than stuff like MMX.

Re combat complexity, more synergies between different chars would be nice. At the moment Bounty Hunter imo is the most fun because of synergies with Occultist and any chars that stun. More synergy/team work options would be the way to go for combat, and prob the way to go for enemies to become more challenging and interesting, i.e., countering enemy synergies.

Last edited:
the fight with the necromancer too for fucking ever. I realize he's a boss but Jesus, 5 minutes out of a 20 minute dungeon crawl was that one fight.

That's Petty Fucking Swell, I think. A boss fight is supposed to be a boss fight. Is your objection to the editing of the video to give too much of the boss fight away or the length of the boss fight itself?

Ellef

Deplorable
That fight shouldn't take more than a minute really. Like the hag, as long as you have back row attacks, you can just ignore his minions and finish him off pretty quickly.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually like that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom