Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Gord

Arcane
Dev update from a few days back:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/617329920710446499/

Our approach to Early Access is two pronged.
  • On one hand, balancing, tuning, bug fixing and general quality of life improvements will be trickled into the build on an ongoing basis.
  • Content patches, on the other hand, will be bundled, themed, and less frequent. We want to make these into notable events - something to get excited for!
Regarding Balance:
Expect things to change. Heroes, Monsters, Progression, and the Economy will be tweaked, tuned, nerfed, buffed, and generally played with throughout Early Access. We will experiment as liberally as necessary, and we encourage you to post constructive thoughts, observations and discussions.
[...]
The Darkest Dungeon …?
The Darkest Dungeon, essentially the full endgame, will only be released at 1.0 launch. You will have to complete several quests in the Darkest Dungeon, and in so doing, you will progress the game’s story. Darkest Dungeon missions will test even your most battle-hardened veterans, and are non-retreatable! You will succeed and survive, or die trying - the ultimate challenge awaits! Don’t ask for any more details on it, cause that’s all we’re ever going to say :)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Bad news in the mail box: sadly, Tyler's father has passed away

AN UNFORTUNATE PASSING

We are also incredibly saddened to report that Tyler's father passed away on March 10th. They were very close, and it is a difficult time for him.

Because of the nature of our very small development team, it's impossible for an event of this magnitude to not affect the project. Tyler is the game designer/producer on the game, and the co-founder of Red Hook. Right now Tyler is away, spending time with his family and dealing with the unfortunate logistics that occur when a loved one dies.

Although this will undoubtedly affect some of our planned schedule, please rest assured that it in no way endangers the overall health of the game long-term. It is just something that we must deal with in the present as best we can, before eventually returning to our normal routine.

We ask that you are patient and understanding during this difficult time. Some of the updates that require design support may be delayed, and parts of the schedule may need refactored.

Condolences is the only thing I can express to his family friends and DD team.
Strength 'n courage to him

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is a strange thing to even comment on. I'm sure he'll take a week or two to QQ and then move on with life. If they're saying this will delay things by months then that's absurd.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This is a strange thing to even comment on. I'm sure he'll take a week or two to QQ and then move on with life. If they're saying this will delay things by months then that's absurd.
You don't know what you're talking about Metro. If you have ever experienced your last parent dying, and they had a moderate amount of assets and a house, you would know that their death can be extremely time-consuming. Especially if there are siblings involved who don't share the same view of the future of the estate as you. Regardless of siblings, you have to gain legal control of and divest their investments, their life-insurance policy, move all the items out of their house, repair the house, interview and select a real-estate agent and consult with a lawyer and CPA to ensure that you're adhering to the will and are minimizing your tax liability.

Shit isn't trivial, unless your dad/mon died broke as fuck in a nursing home and you're an only child.

agris

Arcane
Patron
When someone dies it is indeed extremely fucking time consuming. My condolences. I've been there before.
Yea, poor Tyler. I lost both of my grandparents, whom I was extremely close with, within 2 months of each other. I remember boring my grandmother to tears with the PC Gamer BG1 articles, showing her the screenshots and whatever. Anyway, they had a decent amount of investments, two pieces of real estate and two children. It took over a fucking year to get it all straightened out. A year!

Gord

Arcane
Something seems to be wrong with me when I mostly consider the emotional consequences of losing your father. Especially if he died relatively young (say below 65), which I assume is the case here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You don't know what you're talking about Metro. If you have ever experienced your last parent dying, and they had a moderate amount of assets and a house, you would know that their death can be extremely time-consuming. Especially if there are siblings involved who don't share the same view of the future of the estate as you. Regardless of siblings, you have to gain legal control of and divest their investments, their life-insurance policy, move all the items out of their house, repair the house, interview and select a real-estate agent and consult with a lawyer and CPA to ensure that you're adhering to the will and are minimizing your tax liability.

Shit isn't trivial, unless your dad/mon died broke as fuck in a nursing home and you're an only child.
I know exactly what I'm talking about, actually. My father died about a year ago... yes there are issues involving the estate and obviously grieving but nothing that requires you to stop working. I didn't just up and take a couple of months off from my job. If things are THAT complicated then you hire an estates lawyer. Bottom line is, the time it takes to do these things is not consumed by your work.

I understand that there will be a slight delay but, again, it's not like you or I or anyone else posting in this thread could stop/put off their work for a prolonged period of time to deal with the paperwork.

Also: In before 'Heartless Bastard' tag.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I understand that there will be a slight delay but, again, it's not like you or I or anyone else posting in this thread could stop/put off their work for a prolonged period of time to deal with the paperwork.
I'm afraid you don't understand then. It isn't just signing a bunch of paperwork; when there is property involved, contractors, realtors, investment managers, lawyers and accountants are involved, it all takes time. You can appropriate an arbiter to sign off on things and deal with this shit, but at a significant fee and decrease in return on the estate.

I'm not saying that there aren't repercussions in your professional life, or that all estates take the same amount of time to get in order, but that expecting all deaths to be resolved in 1 or 2 weeks isn't realistic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can stop being afraid because I do understand. I'm an attorney. And while I'm not an estates attorney I know plenty of them. Again, this is not shit that requires you to stop working. Did you stop working? I'm guessing no. I didn't say it would personally take him two weeks to deal with I said I wouldn't expect a delay to the game's timetable of more than a month or so tops. The 'two weeks' is essentially the man hours he'll spend dealing with it and, again, that doesn't require a 24/7 commitment.

Life goes on. You don't suspend all of your other activities/responsibilities when things like this happen. It's just another personal thing to deal with like time spent picking your kids up from soccer practice, doing your taxes, washing your car, etc.

Also: In before: did you just compare someone's father dying to washing your car?!?! The underlying point is they're all issues you balance around your job not things you abandon your job to address.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also also:

BE_NOT_AFRAID_by_here_but_not.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
You can stop being afraid because I do understand. I'm an attorney. And while I'm not an estates attorney I know plenty of them.
[...]
Also: In before: did you just compare someone's father dying to washing your car?!?! The underlying point is they're all issues you balance around your job not things you abandon your job to address.
I don't get the afraid comment, but I am trying to open your myopic eyes. I didn't take a lot of time off of work, my mother and her sibling had to though. It was a somewhat unique situation with the realty falling into disrepair due to their parents decaying health, necessitating extra time devoted to the repairing the property so that they got FMV from the sales of the homes. Your experience might dictate that in 1 - 2 weeks everything should be wrapped up, but Jaesun's and mine says that it doesn't. That's all.

Whether you're convinced or not, I think it's good for others reading this thread to see that it isn't unprecedented to take more than 14 days off to resolve a parent's death.

RE: death and washing a car.. uh, what?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Are you not even reading my posts? Or do you need a definition of 'man hours?'

I didn't say it would personally take him two weeks to deal with I said I wouldn't expect a delay to the game's timetable of more than a month or so tops. The 'two weeks' is essentially the man hours he'll spend dealing with it and, again, that doesn't require a 24/7 commitment.

Anyway, bottom line: I wouldn't expect this to delay the release of the game by more than a couple of months.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Whether you're convinced or not, I think it's good for others reading this thread to see that it isn't unprecedented to take more than 14 days off to resolve a parent's death.
I'm done, readers can make up their own minds. I'm reading your posts, they're just vacuous.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In addition to man hours you apparently need a definition of vacuous, too. I'm willing to listen to a good response but, unfortunately, you only respond to select parts of my posts and ignore the ones directly on point thereby distorting my entire argument. Initial QQ = attending the funeral and whatnot. Move on with life = handling the issues you laid out without abandoning his other responsibilities.

A month from now his average day should look something like this:

- 8 hours sleep
- 1 hour poop/shower
- 6-8 hours work on DD
- 2-3 hours handling estate issues
- 3-4 hours jerking off/hanging with friends/herping and derping

- and not -

- 8 hours sleep
- 16 hours handling estate issues

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
At least, the latest update :
Hey everyone, Here's the latest from us here at Red Hook!
Early Next Week: The Roster Patch!

• Color Variations: All heroes have 4 different color palettes available for you to choose from!
  • Roster Sorting: Sort by stress, resolve level, class, and building.
  • Party Combo Names 1.0: Certain party combos will be named! When assembling your group, watch for the popup and see if you've uncovered a named combo. We're starting with only a few, but more combo names will be added as we continue development. IN FACT, YOU BACKERS CAN HELP! Check out this tasty link and let us know your favourite crew and what you like to call 'em! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JTC8GC9to
Content Drop:

We know that many of you are chomping at the bit for more content, and while we want to get as much new stuff out as quickly as we can, we also want to make sure that what we release is of a quality level consistent with the rest of the game. We have targeted the end of May for our first major content update, and it's a big one!

• New Hero: The Man-at-Arms - a battle hardened commander with mace, shield, and rallying shouts!
  • New Hero: The Arbalest - a field medic and artillery emplacement wrapped up in plate armor!
  • 2 - 3 new Bosses! We are aiming to get one new boss in each of the existing dungeons.
  • Fear the Dark: New rewards for the brave and the foolhardy alike can be found only in the dark during Medium and Long quests. Tread carefully, however, as such rare and powerful trinkets are not left unguarded... As we focus our content efforts on this patch, you can expected misc. quality of life improvements, bug fixes, balance, tuning, etc to arrive in the intervening weeks.
As always, we want to thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

Chris, Tyler, Keir, Brooks & Pierre

It seems my wishes for an "easy party recall" are fulfilled, although I realize it make more sense if it can also consider personnal afflictions and perks for each characters.A party who can work in the wood doesn't necessarily work in a dark dungeon as it also depend on the creature that can be found here or there.
Perhaps an "easy members recall" would be better so, even if some events can't allow some heroes to join the party.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah well. Only a few more years, I am sure.

Honestly, it'll actually be fun by the time it's out because we'll have forgotten the stuff we did in Early Access by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom