Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

V_K

Arcane
Pity. I really dig the concept and aesthetics, but with the lack of variety these videos show it's going to get stale pretty fast.

I'm sure that the Darkest Dungeon will be more complex, but probably not much.
I could've sworn I saw earlier videos with different layouts - and if I recall, you're going to have to go into the dungeons more than once.

Anyway - isn't this still in alpha? I'm looking at the bones to see if it has what I like, not the flesh. So far, the bones look pretty damn good. A nice take on the dungeon-crawler with a kickass art style. Hopefully the game is more fleshed out (and I would have to think it would - otherwise why would they need another ~6 months development time).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the bones look great, too :)

My comment was not intended to disparage the game, just to opine that the layouts probably aren't going to be mazelike headaches, since that just doesn't seem to be the focus. The choice between going towards one mystery box or another identical looking mystery box honestly doesn't thrill me in the first place ... really I don't see how that would make the game play differently than a straight line layout would. Shrug!

I think the bones look great, too :)

My comment was not intended to disparage the game, just to opine that the layouts probably aren't going to be mazelike headaches, since that just doesn't seem to be the focus. The choice between going towards one mystery box or another identical looking mystery box honestly doesn't thrill me in the first place ... really I don't see how that would make the game play differently than a straight line layout would. Shrug!
Well frankly, I would be disappointed if it were just five room linear paths. I'm not looking to bang my head against the wall solving some puzzle (my love of dungeon crawlers comes from the idea of limited resources and a lot of enemies - where you have to weigh going that next step or turning back due to not enough resources, not super maze puzzle stuff), but if this were the final build I would be concerned and lose some interest. Like I said, I doubt this will be the final layout - in fact I would lay big odds against it unless that was the introduction part of each dungeon (since I know you are supposed to end up taking multiple trips).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Newsletter #6, two new screenshots at the bottom.

Tales from Below - Issue #6

A Darkest Hello to all of you supporters!
S0X-l18MK_B0mFiwLEtq0VULVyE0i1Djap76V0TjNtLceE4OJ3Th9GifeKm3KP_H8OneOupOHpA1nPzTRmePCO0Z6F1Of1Xi6Frnpfu00QVslImbb74ppSvN_up-ZnVFq6ULueD6reY-Hm2mLtLYrvGZ18OW=s0-d-e1-ft
Pre-Orders Closing Oct 7th!
We are closing pre-orders (aka "Slacker Backer options") THIS COMING TUESDAY, so if you've been on the fence, we encourage you to check out the options and purchase one!

Currently, we offer two premium (more than the base game) pre-order packages on our website:

DELUXE PACKAGE ($50)
Includes:
  • Early Access once the game launches on Steam in early 2015.
  • Original Soundtrack (digital download) by Stuart Chatwood. (will be available at game full release)
  • PDF Art Book, with tons of concept art and in-game illustrations by our Creative Director and Artist Chris Bourassa.
  • PDF Adventuring Journal and Estate Map.
  • Hero Class variant (exact class variant is still TBA).
  • Credit in the final game as a deluxe-level supporter.
http://darkestdungeon.com/buy/

ULTIMATE PACKAGE ($95)
Includes:
  • Everything listed above in the Deluxe package, PLUS:
  • Personalize your own recruitable hero. You will select from our existing classes and quirks and give the hero a name of your choosing (subject to our approval). This hero will be available to recruit in game!)
  • Design an equippable in-game trinket. Trinkets are items that heroes can equip and gain bonuses. You will get to pick from available powers and name the item.
  • PDF Diorama (see HERE)
  • Credit as an ULTIMATE level supporter.
http://darkestdungeon.com/buy/

Question: What about the Base Game / Art Books / Soundtrack?
If you want to play Darkest Dungeon but don't want all the extras, don't worry! You can just buy the game when it comes out on Steam.

The Tuesday cut-off is just for people who want those packages. We will also be selling art books and soundtracks individually in the future, so don't worry there either.

Question: What Will Early Access Cost? Will it cost less than the Deluxe pre-order package?
Yes--Early Access by itself will cost much less than $50. We haven't announced final pricing yet. If you don't want all the extras, you can just wait for Steam!
Early Access Timeline Confirmed
Early Access will be coming exclusively to Steam in January or February 2015. We'll keep you updated with an exact date and price when we set it.

All backers/pre-orderers who pledged at $20 and higher will gain access to Early Access. If you backed at $15, you'll gain access to the full game when it releases later in the year. We are also working on options to allow upgrading should you wish to change to an Early Access level pledge.

For now, just start preparing yourself! If you haven't pre-ordered, consider saving a few bucks for after the holiday rush, and get ready for some dark, stressful, satisfying turn-based dungeoneering!

'Cause it's coming for you...
Screenshots
Aside from all this business, we've been making tons of progress on the game! Here are two new screenshots for you:

THE QUEST SELECT screen is where you will see what missions are availble in the different parts of your corrupted, infested Estate. Some quests are longer, more diffuclt, and rewarding than others.

THE BLACKSMITH is where you can upgrade heroes' armor and weapons. Like all Town Buildings, the Blacksmith itself can be upgraded, providing various benefits.
Darkest Dungeon Subreddit!
Some Redditors who happen to be Darkest Dungeon fans have set up a very nice subreddit that we've given the official blessing. If you are a Redditor yourself, head on over and join in!

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkestDungeon

cavNPqWqaibLHDfTOE5P2fxBXrdBdmd7R-ltzqKqIlXfdZrwHhWCkIrmgFFiFAV5InsruseoH6JLgHiMNGxo7hQxzxsOeOFInpF1LPjCJ8WbqV_5ujKlcudvjeQs5uubMQOA7_gFg5qcRJeVzNAaUItygQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Thanks again for your awesome support!

We are working our tails off and can't wait to get to Early Access. Many monsters will be slain. Many heroes will develop unrecoverable emotional baggage. Most of all--much fun will be had!

As always, if you have burning questions, fire them off to feedback@redhookgames.com and we'll address them.

--THE DARKEST DUNGEON TEAM
(Chris, Tyler, Keir, Brooks, Pierre, PowerUp Audio, Stuart Chatwood)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
The fansite "darkerdungeon" is now official and is logically assimilated by the darkest dungeon one.
So the old site is auto redirected to the new one, and the whole database have been successfully transfered into its new home

SneakyePie:
Looks like you were redirected to the new home for the Darkest Dungeon community! That’s right, we have become official and our new address is now darkestdungeon.com. Fancy right?

I’ve spent the last few days transferring all data from the old domain and server host to this new one and I want to say that (almost) everything works. One thing I learned is that dealing with SQL databases makes me want to stab my eye with a pen, so if you run across anything not behaving properly, please let me know so I can fix it immediately.

Nothing much else to tell at the moment so I hope you all enjoy the new home.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am just fine with them pirting the game over anything they want; the base concept should be very niche anyway for it to be other than a digital release and if they manage to squeeze an exclusive it would be awesome for them to have the knowhow and resources for future proyects

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone know if this is still slated for early Spring?

They've just released an update that the backer beta will begin on, or around, January the 30th, and early access is set to follow a few days after.

They also state in the new update that the full release will be mid-to-late 2015.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Update 26
We have a TON of exciting news to cover in this update, so let's dive right in!

Early Access Steam Launch and Backer Access Dates!
We are happy to announce that Early Access launch (Steam only!) is planned for Tuesday February 3rd, 2015! That's less than two months away!

Backer Early Weekend: EVEN BETTER, we are planning on giving all Early Access backers access starting on the preceding weekend! (We are aiming to send keys out no later than Friday January 30th but will confirm exact time and day as we get closer.)

Other Backer Rewards Will Come Later: Early Access is just one step towards our final release which will come in mid to late 2015. Your other backer rewards (depending on your pledge level) such as personalized heroes, personalized items, art books, soundtracks, and so on will all come later.

You haven't missed anything and we haven't forgotten about those things! First step is getting the game in great shape, and then we'll shift focus to get some of those things taken care of. We are excited about rolling out the personalized heroes and trinkets, especially!

What will Early Access Feature? We are incredibly excited about the Early Access program. Our strategy has always been to make sure that what we deliver as an Early Access game is super fun and doesn't feel like a "half-made" game. Although we will be adding tons of new features and content throughout Early Access, what we launch will still deliver many hours of gameplay. As we get closer, we'll confirm exactly what's in the build.

Darkest Dungeon Confirmed for PlayStation (PS4, Vita)
36e70bf254aaf19a66e68ba067ae5799_large.jpg

Yesterday, as part of the PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas, Darkest Dungeon had some screen time during the keynote! We announced that the game is coming to PS4 and Vita in 2015! We're excited to expand the reach to consoles and handheld gamers.

You can check out the teaser trailer here, and catch a glimpse of the first Warrens boss towards the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D48aUaPZHY

Will I Get a PlayStation Key as part of my pledge? We don't have a firm answer for you yet. We are not free to distribute PlayStation keys in the same way that we can give out Steam keys, so this makes it somewhat unlikely. Also, at the time of the Kickstarter, there was no PlayStaiton version announced, so we priced and set up the tiers based only on PC/Mac/Linux. But we have a few more conversations to have with the storefronts before we can answer with 100% certainty.

Development Update!
We've been like a well-oiled machine this past couple months, cranking away on new stuff! We also added some temporary help in the way of extra programming and design horsepower, to help stay on schedule. This has also helped us do some things before Early Access that we previously thought we'd do later. All together, we have a great team working their butts off! We really enjoy making Darkest Dungeon, and are grateful to all of you for making it possible.

Here's a sampling of awesome stuff we've touched in the past two months:

• New drag and drop interface for town, hero roster, inventory
  • Tons of new interactive objects ('curios') in the dungeons
  • Warrens monsters and warrens boss fully playable
  • Over 100 equippable items ('trinkets') to augment heroes
  • More Affliction act out behaviors
  • More voice-over narration by the one and only Wayne June in work
  • TONS of new combat effects and art
  • Town graphics and user interface
  • Plus much more!
Merchant Class Poll Results
The results are in from the previous Backer Poll, which was about what visual theme the Merchant class hero should be. The "Silk Road" concept won the day. "A wealthy aristocrat and antiquarian with a keen eye for the ancient and the valuable. "

When we begin designing the Merchant class, she will fit this concept. Thank you for your feedback! It is awesome to have almost 5,000 responses! We'll do more of these polls in the future.

e8f4960750cfa4f734292dd4046f35d2_large.png

Merchant Class Poll Results
Backer-Exclusive Rough Concept Art Pack
We thought it would be fun to share some rough/in-development artwork with you all - click here to download the exclusive BackerPack! (Zip, 3MB). This shows a sampling of Chris' work as he builds up to final art. A little "behind the scenes" for you!

852292449b3421eb11e8075c4bc312a4_large.jpg

That will about do it! Don't forget to stop by the forums at www.darkestdungeon.com, or you can catch us on Twitter and Facebook.

Happy Holidays!

--The Darkest Dungeon Team

Art looks sweet, meh at PS4 but good for them if the revenue outweighs the cost.

Renevent

Cipher
Are the equipeable items limited only to 'trinkets' or are we going to find new armor/weapons in the dungeons as well?

Renevent

Cipher
That's fine, but I was asking if there were any other types of equipable items to find other than trinkets. If they don't change the art in anyways that's kinda understandable (time/resource limitations), but was hoping we could find new weapons and stuff.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
That's fine, but I was asking if there were any other types of equipable items to find other than trinkets. If they don't change the art in anyways that's kinda understandable (time/resource limitations), but was hoping we could find new weapons and stuff.

The screenshots show 4 slots per hero (1 weapon, 1 armor, 2 items) and on loot screens, so I think you should be able find and equip weapons and armor.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Update 27 - less notable, but, none-the-less, nice to know there will be streams to watch.

Happy New Year Backers!
The Red Hook team has been working incredibly hard, and Early Access is just around the corner:

• Early Access Backers (Wanderer Tier+) will Get Steam Keys Friday Jan 30th
  • The public can purchase Early Access on Steam starting Feb. 3rd
In the next backer update, we will be providing full details on this Backer Weekend and what you can expect, including details on how your Steam key will be delivered (Humble Store). At this point we can only guarantee the PC version will be available right off the bat, but we are working hard to make Mac available at the same time and will confirm either way as we get closer.

But *this* backer update is about a really cool launch event we have planned. It's the...

The Week of Torment!

As many of you know, Twitch partners and YouTube channel hosts are a hugely important resource for indies, and we want to entice them to broadcast their exploits and stress-induced failures in Darkest Dungeon. The more people see the game, the better our launch will go and this translates directly into us being able to cram even more cool stuff in the game!

WHEN: Friday Jan 30th to Friday Feb 6th 11:59 PM PST

WHAT: Darkest Dungeon is a game about stress, flawed heroes, tragic ends and unlikely triumphs. We're inviting streamers and content creators to preview the game and show it to their subs. During the event days, Content Creators may submit entries for BEST VIDEO in two categories:

1) MOST EXCITING ADVENTURE: Did a party disintegrate into infighting, chaos, and death? Did a lone survivor make it out against the odds? Perhaps an unlikely hero saved the day when all was lost? Show us a good story. Triumph or tragedy, we're cool either way.

2) VIEWER’S CHOICE: This will showcase a Streamer's skills as a host - they can submit a Darkest Dungeon-related video that is informative, entertaining, or both!

THE BEST PART FOR BACKERS: We'll shortlist our favorites, but it will be YOU who chooses the winning videos in a backer poll of epic proportions! That's right, BACKERS will decide which Content Creators win prizes and live forever in our Hall of Fame!

You can get involved by contacting your favorite Streamer and/or Channel Host and telling them to join in. Full details are here: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/torment/

DARKEST DUNGEON ON STEAM!
We have an official Steam page! Tell your friends that missed the Kickstarter to go there and add Darkest Dungeon to their Steam wishlists!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/

QUICK POLL: What catches yer eye?
Want to do us a solid? Take a look at these five images and tell us which one you like the best:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LP9CVK3

EXCLUSIVE WALLPAPER
Last but CERTAINLY not least, we leave you with a teaser image from the cinematic game intro. Fancy a ride with this driver? (CLICK the image to access the full HD wallpaper for download.)

Whip those horses!

Almost to Early Access! We'll have full details of Backer Weekend soon.

Thank you for all your support, backers. You have made this game happen.

--The Darkest Dungeon Team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom