Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Multi-headed Cow

40 minutes of gameplay

Anyone else kinda feel disappointed by how that played out? The look is excellent, the narrator sounds nice but seemed pretty damn useless, and the combat seemed really questionable. Positioning didn't seem to be worth much and the tactical options didn't seem very good. Plus the fight with the necromancer too for fucking ever. I realize he's a boss but Jesus, 5 minutes out of a 20 minute dungeon crawl was that one fight. Admittedly that's from September 2014 so maybe it'll be better by the time it hits beta/early access, but man. Watching the game in motion softened my erection considerably. Kinda hate to say it but even gameplay from that mobile port of Warhammer Quest looks better for randomized fast turn based party dungeon crawling. Even with a level 1 baby party and not explaining rules like deathblow and pinning.

Edit: Too for fucking ever? I'm stroking out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
Anyone else kinda feel disappointed by how that played out? The look is excellent, the narrator sounds nice but seemed pretty damn useless, and the combat seemed really questionable. Positioning didn't seem to be worth much and the tactical options didn't seem very good. Plus the fight with the necromancer took for fucking ever. I realize he's a boss but Jesus, 5 minutes out of a 20 minute dungeon crawl was that one fight. Admittedly that's from September 2014 so maybe it'll be better by the time it hits beta/early access, but man. Watching the game in motion softened my erection considerably. Kinda hate to say it but even gameplay from that mobile port of Warhammer Quest looks better for randomized fast turn based party dungeon crawling. Even with a level 1 baby party and not explaining rules like deathblow and pinning.
I liked the vid, hope the game offers dugeons with a lot lenght and complexity, the one in the vid sorta disappointed me, but it looks like a starting dungeons so its ok. I dont mind a 5 minute battle against a boss if those 5 minutes are intense and it looks like a single mistake could cause your downfall, thats good stuff man.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another game I was more thab happy to back and it looks to be right on shedule to be great. The art dirección is top notch, the narrator is a very good flavour addition to the mood, and yeah the combat seems a bit simplistic (ina JRPG sort of way) most of its depth will surely come out of the different abilities of characters and various party makeups.
If 2014 was magnificent incline, the games for 2015 seem even better

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As a side note, we always see the same player characters. Let us hope that different characters of the same class will have at least colour variations or some sort of customizing options

Multi-headed Cow

As a side note, we always see the same player characters. Let us hope that different characters of the same class will have at least colour variations or some sort of customizing options
Different color palettes for heroes was one of the stretch goals they hit, so that should be in there at release if it isn't in yet. Haven't seen yet (As far as I'm aware) if different weapons/armor change the look of your guys yet or not.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Another thing; there seem to be random chests and loot with traps, perhaps there should be a thief character that has at least a chance to avoid traps to further specialize classes, plus giving different classes specific psychological strengths paired with personality traits (like a heavily armored crusader with a strong paranoia trait which in turn would make him more likely to go berserk) seems the class options per class will be pretty much the same (no branching ability deveoplment) so must of the customization might come from gear and adventuring traits gained from questing

Renegen

Arcane
Judging by how deep the town system works I imagine a full run requires 20 dungeons or more, I hope the difficulty racks up and like any good dungeon crawler you're kept on your toes the whole time. Overall it looks pretty sweet actually.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're going to start selling this on Steam early access for $15 or $20 in February.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Characters have stress levels that need to be managed. As it increases, you gain negative traits and sometimes, temporary positive traits.
Party order does matter. Some abilities only work if your character is in the right position.
16 character classes with upgrades and skilltrees.
Roguelike. I wasn't aware of this but might play it anyway.

Watch the video if interested but don't if you don't want to spoil any boss fights.

Gozma

Arcane
That looked pretty good, and that's even when we don't have any feel for the "strategic layer" where you're worried about long term stress and shit.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
This is looking pretty good, video felt too short for me, ended up waiting for more.

Murk

Arcane
I was also worried this game would be style over substance but that battle sequence looks pretty good. I'm hoping some more 'lets play' shit will go up and i'll be able to make a better decision. This seems a bit more pick-up-n-play instead of a dedicated slog, which is fine, but hopefully isn't _too_ shallow.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm hoping some more 'lets play' shit will go up and i'll be able to make a better decision.
Yep, that's what I'm looking forward to. The videos I've seen thus far put me on the skip it camp, but I'm hoping some full gameplay will push me one direction or another.

Renegen

Arcane
The first LP just came out, it looks good. I watched the 35 minute video that's also on the channel and it seems like 1 dungeon takes 1 hour to complete.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Keys are sent via the humble bundle profile.There backers concerned by this EA can redeem the steam key. :salute:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm really liking this.

:takemymoney:

I shall pick this up as soon as it is available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom