Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Got this after sending my vestal to the brothel:

Castillon was caught making... strange... requests.
New quirk: Deviant Tastes (is not allowed to visit brothel)

:incline:

Snozgobler

Educated
Watching some videos it looks like I may have backed a good game here. Unfortunately I backed at the nomad level like Livonya, so I'm not able to play it yet myself.

Looking forward to playing it at some point though.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Castillon has been felled :( (I've made a huge mistake and tried a lvl 3 mission, shit got real, had to retreat after 3 fights)

Really enjoying the game - you're constantly low on resources, barely alive and on the verge of insanity. But when you're so close to completing the mission, just one more room...

So far looks like a complete product, but needs some polish - something to speed up the animations (best would be to have a separate switch for every element - animations, statuses, sanity, speech etc.) and a fix to speech bubbles blocking UI on the town screen.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
My party died in tutorial.

Dis is gonna git gud

EDIT: Either Im retarded or the party is supposed to die :D
Check the warning when the game launches - you're supposed to die or retreat :D

I managed to defeat 2 parties while they were surprised, but now running low on resources and had to enter a dungeon without food and only with 3 torches. Good times.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My party died in tutorial.

Dis is gonna git gud

EDIT: Either Im retarded or the party is supposed to die :D

You're not retarded.

Once you have a few goes at it, you do learn what to do, but it's still hard. I had a team of 4 level 2 guys and they got fucked good in an easy mission. First fight their stress nearly maxed out, plus they missed a few times and got critical too. A few fights later I lost 1 of them, and the next fight I lost another. :argh:

Have to progress slowly. Even when you have a roster of like 11 guys you have to take care of each team. The management side of it is pretty great.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I need to camp & rest while exploring some dungeons, but I can't find the option.Is this already implemented?

Okay, got the answer:

2a07d29e-f782-4a13-9edd-67f98d9ce7f6.jpg

So camping is not possible in every dungeons:yeah:

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
You need to have camping supplies (they are arbitraily given on missions that not there will be camping involved.) I don't think we can buy any more. Anyway - to use them - click in inventory

Renegen

Arcane
More videos from that guy I linked earlier, pretty amazing run he's had.

Fuuck, why must I wait 1 week.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just had the worst fucking fight.

Sometimes at the start of a fight, you're guys get shuffled around. I had a Leper, 2 vestals, and a plague doc. Plague doc got pulled right to the front, leper got slung right to the back, and the 2 vestals swapped place (this was important because of the abilities they had, the one in the second position was an attacker). I was fighting two male ocultists, a skeleton with a sword, and a female occultist.

I kept trying to get the leper to the front, and the plague doc to the back. The female occultist kept using the push and pull spells to keep the leper at the back and the plague doc at the front, and both were entirely useless in these positions. The two male occultists kept making everyone bleed. Eventually managed to take them out, but not before the skeleton went on a critical hit spree, reducing everyone's hp, and everyone's stress got maxed out too. Longest and worst fight yet.

Rage quitted!

Will play again tomorrow. :negative:

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, the limited firewood/camping mechanic sounds nice. Earlier on they had it looking like you could buy firewood when you stock up for an excursion but now you apparently only get some for medium and longer missions, and it's a set amount based on the size of the dungeon. Good both because if firewood was cheap enough you'd rest at every room, and because if firewood was prohibitively expensive it could fuck up your progression in other areas if you lean on it too hard. Keeping the provisions to relatively cheap consumables is gud.

Unfortunately the one thing I can't really tell by watching people streaming the game (Without watching beyond the realm of reason) is how much general content there is and how well the randomization works. I do know they're going to be adding more heroes/dungeons/monsters/items over the course of early access, but a lot of games like this can live or die based on how much variety there is in encounters and dungeons. Something like Neo Scavenger gets away with less random content because of the semi-realistic play system. You don't grind bad muthas to get XP to level up to tackling dogmen, and even some shitty looter with no shoes can get a lucky hit and kill you. Not to mention the sandbox nature of the world, where one raider is different than another depending on if he found a gun/has a spear/is wounded from a melonhead attack. Darkest Dungeon looks brutal but since it follows standard RPG conventions closer (Loot, level, enemy types being standard (Vomit pig always does his thing, cultists always do their thing, etc)) I could see it being a real bummer if it reaches a point where you know the optimal party and provisions for every dungeon due to enemy types and any losses boil down to luck of the dice on crits/misses.

Even with concerns still looking like D1P though.

Eyeball

Arcane
How the fuck do you heal or reduce insanity inside dungeons? Tutorial told me to bring 8 food, but that only heals 1 HP apiece.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
You don't - the game is about attrition. Insanity is hard to reduce (takes for a character not to be on 1 mission and paid for appropraite healing), while there is no way to increase health outside of fights. Except for food which is crap, far better to use it for camping/when "lets eat" event shows up.

Eyeball

Arcane
Alright, guess that\s why the game throws all these duplicate RPCs at me all the time. Half my crew is currently sitting back at base camp sucking their thumbs and waiting for the monsters to go away.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Talk about stress and quirks a bit, hm? I'm mostly wondering if stress levels are easy to manage to the point where I'll never see most of the quirks. Do your guys go crazy a lot? How about positive traits?
I get at least 2 dudes stressed every quest. Quirks are strange - sometimes you get 1 during a mission, sometimes 5 (and 1 more during stress therapy).

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh man, I already have 13 hours in this and barely forced myself to stop. This is one of those games that you look at in KS pitches and go "Nah, this is too good to be true" and then suddenly it is. This thing is addictive and occasionally hilarious instead of grimdark. Like my best Vestal Sister being a nymphomaniac. And nymphomania apparently being a good trait in that setting. Got a good chuckle out of me. Agree that they should add a little more to reducing stress levels/healing in dungeons, but eventually you get to the point where you "git gud" and it's not such an issue anymore.

Some neat group compositions so far:
plague doctor - occultist - occultist - knight (melee knight, 2x stabbing occultists doing sick stab crits, 1x cultist with tentacle hentais for the back row, 2xheals, debuff/mark, doctor with debuffs and stuns)
occultist - bounty hunter - hellion - knight (general "tons of damage + stuns/debuffs" party)
Next, will be trying to figure out a good use for leper, highwayman and grave robber with either bard or vestal, I guess. Got a decent leper and some nice items for him, but the idiot had a Lockjaw so he's really pointless until I have a moment to heal him.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Agreed. The game is bloody amazing. Not just the art and presentation (the voice acting for instance is great but you also have your party members make constant text remarks) but the gameplay is everything I hoped it would be. Every venture into the dungeon feels like a challenge so far. Really polished for a EA as well. Normally I never bother with these as I'd rather wait for the game to be finished before I dig in but I'm just having too much fun playing this.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm reading up a little bit on these guys and it's their first game? That's unbelievable if true. Admittedly, I haven't tried this yet, but it seems to be a great effort for a first game.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
2 feb iirc? Mmmmh it seems I'll have to buy another early access game, the only one I bought so far (underrail) is incredibly good. I hope this one delivers too

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do all the provisions you bring with you into a dungeon get destroyed after the run is finished? I had to completely restock even though I had ended the previous mission with a surplus.

Multi-headed Cow

What is the ballpark release date for this mother again? These testimonials are getting me all aroused.
Steam early access starts February 3rd, and they say they plan on being in early access for around 6th months and releasing some time in the second half of 2015.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom