Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Tommers

Augur
(Apparently a level 3 char can just leave - he did that after I sent him to pray after a successful quest. Possibly because of his untreated hagiomania.)

He'll be back.

Norfleet

That's insane. Stress has been stated as a core gameplay element from the very first video. Maybe those guys should forget about playing for themselves and wait for that popular screamy YouTube guy to release a Let's Play.
Maybe they want a crew of unfazeable Russians that are simply too drunk to give a shit about anything.

Angthoron

Arcane
Necromania - Fascinated with corpses (started with this, details not specified, not sure how this affects him, may add to text flavour)
The -mania type quirks seem to have character roll a die, and if they fail the roll, they have to use the object they have the mania with. Like my klepto Plague Doctor, who has to roll on loot containers like chests, and if he fails the roll, he steals all the loot. Or used to steal. Something tragic happened to him, somehow, oh the humanity, he looked so uncomfortable in that cauldron for a bit.

So yeah, tl;dr, I'm guessing the Necromania characters will want to loot corpses. They won't steal the loot though - just rush to the corpse without giving you a chance to use a special item to remove disease from it.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But thank you for the report.

No prob, you're welcome.

I've been poking at the keyboard a bit more. Whilst in the dungeons there are a few more keys that can be used. 1, 2, 3 and 4 select which ability/attack to use for the current attacker, and 5 selects the swap position function. O and C change between the two tabs beneath the character portait (the default tab is char info and weapon, armour and items. The second tab shows the positive and negative quirks).

That's all.

Leper feels really underwhelming though - his attacks aren't massive enough, or varied enough to justify the SHIT accuracy. He only becomes decent after a rest, if someone buffs him with Accuracy (well, he can do it himself too). And Jesper's kinda bad in that his attacks are causing Bleed, and that's one dungeon out right away.

Totally agree on leper. I had the Jester de-buffing a lot of the time, so enemies were rarely hitting. Helped massively against those damn crossbow skeletons!!

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Hellion has like 100% trap disarm.

How do you know this? That doesn't make much sense in-universe, it ought to be Grave Robber and Highwayman.

The only trap related stat I can see is the trap resistance stat on the character sheet.
She disarmed every single floor trap I've encountered so far :) Others fail at high rate.
My highway man isn't so bad at disarming traps too.
Don't know if the test to dodge is based upon the dodge stat when failing at disarming though.I guess this should be quite logical

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I don't really understand how stress relief works. I'm sending some of my heroes to the tavern/abbey but nothing happens.
Neat game so far, properly challenging.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't really understand how stress relief works. I'm sending some of my heroes to the tavern/abbey but nothing happens.
Neat game so far, properly challenging.
You need to complete a quest with different party while the stressed ones are recovering. Recovery takes a week or more and doing a quest is the only way to progress time.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Watching some of the gameplay videos and this looks perfect for a mobile game or tablet, suitably simple interface and controls but hardcore gameplay.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
yo, this looks intriguing. Thinking of buying into EA next week. Some questions:
Does it feel finished-y or is the fact that it's EA prominent?
Has anyone tried playing it on a Windows tablet? Verdict?

Angthoron

Arcane
It only has 3 dungeons at the moment, and not all heroes and items are implemented, but it's otherwise very polished. I'd probably compare it to D: OS EA when it became buy-able on Steam.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the Accessory items? Any recommendations? So far most I'm finding are more trouble than they're worth, with a few rare exceptions. All those penalties very rarely outweigh the benefits.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've been poking at the keyboard a bit more. Whilst in the dungeons there are a few more keys that can be used. 1, 2, 3 and 4 select which ability/attack to use for the current attacker, and 5 selects the swap position function. O and C change between the two tabs beneath the character portait (the default tab is char info and weapon, armour and items. The second tab shows the positive and negative quirks).
I and M swap between the inventory and map screens, respectively. If only we had a way to specify an enemy to attack via the keyboard.. and remappable keys.

It only has 3 dungeons at the moment, and not all heroes and items are implemented, but it's otherwise very polished. I'd probably compare it to D: OS EA when it became buy-able on Steam.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the Accessory items? Any recommendations? So far most I'm finding are more trouble than they're worth, with a few rare exceptions. All those penalties very rarely outweigh the benefits.
They are only planning to add one more dungeon tileset (Darkest Dungeon), but that isn't to say the quest progression won't be expanded.

It's hard to say about items, most of the negatives seem to outweigh the positives. I tried to match up an accessory with a debuff to a character where that debuff wouldn't matter, but the UI made it unclear if this was valid or not. For example, I gave a stun resist amulet to my leper (+10% STUN res, -4 DOD) since the leper has 0 DOD anyway. Well, in their character sheet it shows 0 DOD, but if I hover over it it shows (0 DOD, Armor <linebreak> -4 DOD, Amulet). If the leper actually has -4 DOD, that sucks. If it really is 0, then I think this is a viable strategy.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

I don't use low quality trinkets, except 2 for my PD (bonus to blight attacks, decrease to blight resistance) - chance he'll be targeted by blight is low and then I still can use the antidote. Same with bleed I guess.

Don't take anything that lowers accuracy.

Also I learned today that keeping the torch at 75-100 to get the bonus round is kinda neato.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
What's that? As in, never drops below 75?
Check the torch icon to see the current light level and what bonus it gives. Each torch used is +25, if you have 75+ when the fight starts, you have the biggest chance to surprise the enemy and get a free round.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I didn't use the items much - always running on low cash, putting all I have into upgrades and basic provisions.

I'm using skeleton keys on chests - you avoid traps and get extra loot ("hidden compartment").

Renegen

Arcane
Unless you get a special ending where they take off their costume and strip into a bikini like Samus, I'll still call them he.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
They need to make it so the game doesn't stop every time they have to make a goddamn comment.

Angthoron

Arcane

I don't use low quality trinkets, except 2 for my PD (bonus to blight attacks, decrease to blight resistance) - chance he'll be targeted by blight is low and then I still can use the antidote. Same with bleed I guess.

Don't take anything that lowers accuracy.

Also I learned today that keeping the torch at 75-100 to get the bonus round is kinda neato.
Yeah. And there's the Sun Ring and Sun Bracer, which both give some pretty good boosts if you're at >75 Light, which's why I always stock as many torches as possible. Although I gotta say that the Surprise mechanic seems a bit bugged at the moment - I had characters boost Surprise stuff at rest, and still got surprised at 100(!) Light by some lame-o zombies. Gotta love when my party suddenly shuffles so they're all useless and take a ton of unnecessary damage. I guess it's all part of the game, but if it's about management and planning, I want my management and planning mechanic to actually work as stated. Bah. Probably my biggest gripe so far.

I'm compiling a list of item interactions and what they do, but it would be great if you folks could help test stuff out. Things like what happens if you torch bookshelves and papers, or holy water or medicine on corpses/carcasses, altars, effigies, urns etc. I'm still looking for how to use bandages other than to stop bleeding.
Can you actually torch books? I tried once or twice I think, and it didn't work. Remedies seem to work for fresh corpses, and definitely for alchemy tables; holy water is for tombs, ashes, confession booths and statues; shovel for half-dug graves (and obstacles). There was some use for antidote, I think, but can't recall what; bandages are for bleeding only so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom