Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darklands Question

Is there any non-retarded way to locate the dragons? I tracked one down earlier in the swamps south of Bremen. I saw some burned down villages, figured the dragon was nearby. Walked around, heard ominous music, ok, jackpot. Then since I didn't see any landmarks, I just kept walking around that area, and from time to time I would run into some event related to the dragon. Some other knight hunting it, etc. Then I finally walked into the dragon, followed it back to its lair, and fought it, and lost badly. The knight told me I would need certain things to fight it, which I didn't have. So I reloaded the previous save, and decided to leave the area for a while, while I get the stuff I need to fight it. Now, much later, I got the stuff, and came back to the area.

The thing is, no matter how much I walk around that area, where the ominous music is playing, I cannot start any dragon related event now. So i went to that darklands.net website, checked out the FAQ. They say it's not just randomly walking around that area, but actually walking into specific pixel coordinates that initiates the events. Wow. I went back to the game, walked around like a retard, but how long would it take to realistically cover all that shit? It's a huge area with tons of pixels, and it's not exactly a grid, so I am kinda fucked.

Any ideas? It's generally a well designed game, but how the fuck would anyone think this was a good idea?

Gozma

Arcane
I've never seen a good FAQ type thing about it, but as I understand it from having done it a few times is there are a few pre-selected "dragon areas" that you can visit that will play the dragon music etc. However, I think they're not always active and capable of starting a "dragon questline", of which the game has a few different versions it selects from randomly. Once a dragon questline starts you will run into different random encounters in the dragon area that eventually progress towards dealing with the dragon. To find out which dragon area is currently open for business you listen to rumors in town, the same rumors that can tell you where a knocker location is active. They'll tell you a general direction the active dragon is at and you triangulate it by hearing rumors in multiple towns IIRC. You'll know you're in an operational dragon area if a grey text box pops up as you enter.

I assume what happened with your save was that the active dragon location changed (I think, like the knockers stuff, eventually you just miss the opportunity and it moves to the next location).

Yeah, thanks man, I was reading some stuff on yahoo boards similar to this. Didn't realize those areas go inactive after a while. I love the way you have to play much more actively in the older games, figuring stuff out on your own and all that, but some stuff is just ridiculously obscure.

I was reading some stuff on yahoo boards

:what:

Haha, that does sound strange now that I think about it, but it was the only place that had that advice. They were weird looking yahoo boards though, probably from way back in the day. Playing RPGs so old, even Yahoo was :whatho:.

Anyways, I took care of that dragon the second time pretty easily with the proper preparation. Just would've been nice if there was some info in the game about those things expiring after a while. Or at least, if that damn music stopped playing when the dragon was no longer there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom