Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Das Geisterschiff - turn-based cyberpunk dungeon crawler

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
There are far too many design avenues in gaming history that haven't be explored to their fullest. And as much as I like the flood of modern retro indies, very few of them have tried really new things
Agreed.

I'm a big fan of Akalabeth due to the ability to fight inside the dungeon itself, but it's very simple, and yet I barely see any crawlers that explore the possibilities of fighting in the dungeon without going into mindless two-step tango mode.
While playing Wizardry 1 and stumbling upon traps, I regularly had thoughts like 'it would be great to be able to push the enemy party into the pit or find another way to use the dungeon to your advantage'.

The only things remotely close to the stuff I wanted were mobile games from id -- and even there I was pissed off about the fact that enemies have 2 actions per turn, while the player has only one and the combat is not very complex.

Carmine ended up providing some food for thought, which led to this game. A few things had to be toned down to avoid blowing the scope out of proportion, but this gameplay style allows to take ideas from classic (traps, puzzles) and newer games (grr, why this enemy smashes through the wall in this scripted sequence, but I never get to do this cool stuff?) and adapt them into this gameplay formula.

Sure, some traps and features that work in blobbers need to be adapted (and probably changed) to work well with this approach, but as far as the first attempt goes, I think it shows that there's a lot of potential.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
TODO list for v1.0.2:
  • Change the way RNG works in the game so the results are a bit less unpredictable;
  • Tweak the balance & encounters a bit to address the changes listed above;
  • Fix a rare issue where certain objects wouldn't switch their state correctly if multiple switches were assigned to them;
  • Fix rare issues w/ incorrect loading of savegames;
  • Fix remaining issues in the death screen menu;
  • Fix a rare bug on Linux which would lock the game on the start screen while reading one of the archives.

No ETA for now, but I'll start active work on it on Monday and hopefully I'll be able to deliver by the end of that week unless I stumble upon additional issues.

Is this on gog/steam yet?
There's a FAQ link in the OP.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Testing the v1.0.2 update now and it feels like a better game in every aspect. :positive:

Patch notes: https://surt-r.itch.io/das-geisterschiff/devlog/49503/v102-update-notes

Hey hey there, we hope you had a nice weekend and enjoyed the game.

We've spent the weekend relaxing and tweaking the game to fix the remaining issues, tweak the gameplay and polish the game to the point when it becomes even more enjoyable. Here's the changelog for v1.0.2 update:
  • Changed the way rolls work in the game, which makes the combat feel a lot less unpredictable and random;
  • Adjusted enemy stats and encounters to take the changes to rolls into account;
  • Slightly increased the range at which landmines are detected;
  • Implemented additional precautions to avoid floating point precision errors in save data;
  • Renamed Eberbach Enforcers to Jaegers to fix the naming inconsistency;
  • Removed 'Transferring to %AREA_NAME%' message;
  • Removed two unused tracks to avoid bloating the build;
  • Removed an obsolete data archive;
  • Fixed incorrectly assigned 'textures' on one of the walls @ Tunnels;
  • Fixed missing audio reverb zone @ Fortress BF1;
  • Fixed a small oversight which could start ramping up the encounter chance whenever you passed through certain areas;
  • Fixed a rare issue where switches wouldn't set the connected object to desired state if multiple switches were assigned to the same object (e.g. Fortress BF1);
  • Fixed a rare issue where certain objects would sometimes not set to the desired state upon loading the game;
  • Fixed a minor issue where landmines had a slightly different color inside the Hideout;
  • Fixed remaining issues in the Death Screen menu which could lead to buggy results upon loading the game (for example, if you decided to restart the chapter and then selected the 'Retry Current Map' option after dying);
  • Possible fix to rare freezes on Linux upon loading the base data (stuck on 'LOADING LINE DATABASE' message);
  • Additional tweaks and fixes.
We will roll out the update next week with an approximate ETA @ Wednesday.

Have a nice weekend!

EDIT: Combat feels a lot more fluid now, feels as if I'm playing an 8/10 game and v1.0.0 feels like a 5/10 game in comparison.

I spent all night replaying the game and managed to beat it in one sitting. With these latest adjustments the difficulty feels just right -- experienced players who know everything about the game mechanics will have a blast and feel gewd, while newcomers will get a nice challenge.

Imma preparing a pretty lengthy article on how the game was designed btw, in case you're interested to find out where I gathered ideas.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Published a lengthy post about design ideas, where I got them, a few things I want to add in a sequel, etc: https://surt-r.itch.io/das-geisters...ign-decisions-sources-of-inspiration-and-more

Here's a copy-paste in case you want to read this here:
Hello again, RS here.

I would like to take a moment to talk about the design decisions made during Das Geisterschiff, and especially talk about how a lot of abstract features from classic design had to be adjusted to work well with this gameplay formula, as well as things that didn't make it into the game, but will most likely find their way into a sequel once I figure out how to adapt them.

m2gqPU.png

Let's start from the very beginning
As you probably know, I love dungeon crawlers, even though I tend to suck at them. I enjoyed bumping into walls in Wizardry and getting lost on the third floor while carefully traversing through hidden passages to avoid spinners and pits, and the thrill of dragging the dead ones back to town while praying that nobody ambushes me on my way gave me goosebumbs that few horror games manage to pull off.

As much as I enjoyed it, I was hoping that someday I'd play a game where the enemy (or enemy party) can be pushed off into one of these pits as a desperate measure to keep your character(s) alive. Therefore I tend to look back at the simplicity Akalabeth offered for one simple reason -- fighting inside the dungeon itself. The closest things I've managed to find to that experience are the mobile games from id and Fountainhead, which are enjoyable despite the simplicity, and Carmine by MicroCabin/Arrowsoft -- even though it's an adventure game with stats and grid-based movement, it gave me a lot of inspiration to work on this game.

There are a lot of realtime first person RPGs that offer fighting inside the dungeon, but unfortunately, realtime RPGs proved to be very unsatisfying to me, as whatever depth they try to add to their combat is thrown out of the window due to the two-step tango nature of it. Among the first person turn-based RPGs I've noticed that too many of them are just Wizardry derivatives -- which is not bad, but sometimes you really start craving for somewhing different, as there is a ton of ideas unexplored within the genre.

But as you may already know, the abstraction Wizardry offers does not always make sense (which works very well for the majority of blobbers and crawlers out there), which makes it somewhat tough to translate some of the features to the in-dungeon combat.

xbUjo6.png

My personal set of design rules
This is a set of rules I laid out to myself which I aimed to follow as close as possible in this game and aim to follow in future games:

• Every action has a certain price;
  • The player and enemies follow the same rules and have the same tools;
  • The game should be challenging the player until he learns the rules;
  • The game should never hold the player's hand.
Some may argue that this is too cruel, while others may love this. This indeed leads the game into the 'either you love it or hate it with a passion' territory, but my ultimate goal is not making billions of dollars -- it's finding and connecting like-minded people who'll enjoy playing my game(s) decades later.

HIwjeS.png

Features in Das Geisterschiff (and where the ideas came from)
WARNING: HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD, TURN BACK

Das Geisterschiff is a rather uncommon game in terms of gameplay, as it took inspiration from a wide variety of games and genres, both 'old' and 'modern'. Let's take a look at some of the notable features that ended up in the game, challenges that arose during the implementation as well as adaptation of some of these features from classic games and where these ideas came from.

• Movement in combat via Advance/Stay/Retreat commands was inspired by Carmine -- it was the answer I was looking for after feeling rather bitter by the inability to move and attack like the enemies do in Doom RPG and similar games from id/Fountainhead;
  • Ramming was inspired by various movies and games where big characters break through walls and other objects. It was also inspired by the bitter feeling in videogames when your enemies get to do awesome things and you don't. I think this idea first came up after discussing game design with Damjan Mozetic (main developer of Call of Saregnar, check out his game, it looks great);
  • Attacking from higher/lower ground with bonuses/penalties to damage and evasion was somewhat inspired by Starcraft, but later I learned that some tabletop games have this as well. Still, I think this probably makes Das Geisterschiff the first dungeon crawler where the position relative to the target somewhat matters;
  • Ram response was inspired by Heroes of Might & Magic 3 -- a game I love and keep playing today after playing it for the first time in 2000. In this case, however, it's triggered if the target evaded the ramming attempt. Initially entities would step away if the ramming attack failed, but then I decided to add the ability to retaliate by ramming back or shoot the attacker;
  • Running away from enemies by avoiding their line of sight was kinda inspired by Thief and Deus Ex. The implementation is far from in my game, but it's fair to have this option if one wants to get someone off their tail. The game only requires the player to kill 4 (!) enemies during the whole game -- the rest can be avoided with enough persistence;
  • Exploration-based character progression started as a workaround of the large oversight in design -- initially there were no plans for the upgrade system, but then I reckoned the game would become too boring if there was no point to explore the levels. As I'm not a big fan of grinding my way through battles (and battles here were designed as means to challenge the player's ability to manage the resources and outsmart the enemies), I took a lot of inspiration from King's Field and stuffed tiny upgrades in various parts of levels to give the player the incentive to explore and patch themselves up if they hit a tough spot;
  • Not giving any information about the enemy during the first few rounds was heavily inspired by Wizardry. Even though the game doesn't have that many enemy types (and thus this feature plays a rather minor role), it helps to create tension during the first few combat rounds;
  • Scaring certain enemies with a bazooka came from the memories of playing a bit of I Am Alive a long time ago. I thought this feature will be a funny detail that can make the playthough easier for players who find out how this works;
  • Extreme resource management was again inspired by Carmine, although later I decided to add workshops to fix one's armor a bit, otherwise the difficulty would probably make Wizardry IV look like a babby's first RPG in comparison. The main idea was to force the player to LOOK AROUND AND THINK before doing anything. Should I step behind the corner and lure the enemy just a bit closer? Should I switch weapons or keep shooting and hope that one of my shots finally hits the target with high evasion? Should I step closer to get a better chance of landing a shot, but face the consequences if I end up missing it or the target survives my attack? Should I step back to reduce the damage taken from attacks and chances to get hit, but reduce my chances to hit the target? In my opinion, these little nuances offset the general simplicity of the base mechanics -- instead of managing the complexity, you need to get good with what you've got, otherwise you'll end up dying sooner or later;
  • Spinners were mostly implemented for the Tunnels area (and a nod to the third floor in Wizardry 1) to give players an extra reason to pay attention to their surroundings, otherwise they would end up wandering around the area for hours straight (even with multiple hints on where they should and shouldn't go). The implementation had several challenges:
    • They had to be subtle -- if the player saw their character turning, they'd definitely suspect something is wrong;
    • They had to be not too subtle -- that's why there's some static on the screen to give the player a hint that something has happened;
    • How would they function in combat -- this question remains unanswered at the moment, but I do have a few ideas for that that I'd like to implement in the sequel. Here it's the main reason why the spinners are located in areas that are pretty far away from the spots where you encounter enemies.
  • Teleporters are not very frequent in the game, just like spinners, and they were implemented to give the player a nice shake once in a while. I'm still wondering how to insert them into combat system -- throwing off aim if you step into one of them? Telefragging if there's an entity standing on the destination tile? We can only hope to find out if I make another game like this. There were also quiet teleporters, but these didn't end up in the game -- I just couldn't find a nice place to add them;
  • One-way passages were a no-brainer -- just turn them into elevated areas which can be jumped down from. Mostly used for shortcuts in the game (e.g. avoiding some of the sunrays @ Upper Level);
  • Traps and environmental hazards are limited to the following types:
    • Landmines -- can be disarmed, can be shot, enemies can sometimes end up being forced to step onto them;
    • Sunrays -- very rare hazard type, melts the armor. Very dangerous to non-heavy enemies;
    • Jammers of several types, such as:
      • Dark Zone -- blocks main view, gives penalties to the entities within the range. Autonomous robots (Schess, Ruma, etc) get a slight accuracy penalty, while piloted robots (Eagle, Crow, Eberbach Enforcer...) get a noticeable penalty to both accuracy and evasion;
      • Slowdown -- gives a noticeable evasion penalty to both autonomous and piloted robots;
      • Disruptor -- kinda funny name, but not very funny results. Blocks the player's ability to move and attack in the same turn, forcing him to use manual shooting. Nasty stuff.
  • Scripted events or 'specials' -- people usually hate scripted events for a good reason, but everyone knows that some of these can spice up the game is used correctly. A good example in Das Geisterschiff was heavily inspired after reading about Wizardry VII (to my shame, I'm yet to play this one), which as far as I know had multiple parties competing with the player -- in Das Geisterschiff, though, at one point of the game there's another entity who evades the player during the whole chapter and plants landmines all over the place, sometimes blocking the paths and trying to lure the player towards the encounters;
  • Limited saves idea came from Enemy Zero as means to give the player an incentive to live with their mistakes and push forward. The game is rather forgiving in this regard -- you can restart the current dungeon segment if you die or restart the whole chapter if you believe that your savegame is screwed, but the best way to avoid this is analyzing the enemy behavior and current situation and acting accordingly.
8B4amD.png

Features that didn't end up in the game

Ouch. These features were either half-implemented and abandoned, never left the design document for a variety of reasons or came up long after I locked the design and started making content (and will probably end up in a sequel if I ever get around to making one). Let's take a look at them and their potential usage in the game:

• Thin/glass/breakable walls -- never found a good use to them at that time and they would sometimes cause pathfinding issues. Now I have a good idea for them (hiding useful upgrades and alternative passages through levels), but alas, they never made it here;
  • Elevators -- half-implemented into the main game, would serve as means to travel between various sections of the level and quick escapes from combat, but cut after hitting the limitations of the PC I've got (which is a budget laptop from 2010 or so), which forced to design bigger dungeons as smaller segments that end up being seamless multi-floor areas if mapped on graph paper;
  • Laser beams -- would cause damage to the player passing through them, but could be reprogrammed to damage enemies instead. Never made it for whatever reason;
  • Movable/pullable objects -- pushing a huge object to obstruct a path for the enemy, opening a new path or solving a puzzle this way would be an interesting idea, but these never left the design document in this game, even though I have a prototype of an RPG that uses this mechanic a lot;
  • Combat stances -- what the pilot is currently focusing on? Hitting the target, sacrificing some evasion points? Evading the next shot, while sacrificing the accuracy? Or just standing there, maintaining the balance between the two? This idea came up by the end of the development of this game and will definitely end up in a sequel;
  • Special abilities -- this came up when I realized that some enemy types need some unique abilities that bend the rules of the game to make them memorable, avoid exploitable tactics and so on. Unfortunately, not giving the player the ability to rush towards the enemy (like Carriers do) or use an AoE attack (Wraith) kinda broke the one of my design rules ('The player and enemies follow the same rules and have the same tools...'), but this would probably end up in the sequel. Abilities can add more to the exploration and combat, and I'd like to find a good way to add them to the future games to make combat more than picking the right position and weapon against the enemy.
Conclusion: dungeon crawlers as a genre have a shitton of unexplored potential and there are many things that can be used to spice up the gameplay and offer something completely different. I'm sure that the examples provided are just the tip of the iceberg and there's more that can be done with the genre, and you don't have to look too far -- just recall the games you liked or features that caught your eye and see how you can adapt these ideas into the genre or crazy stuff that you pulled off during the tabletop sessions.

Have a nice day and enjoy the game!

--RS

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Aaand v1.0.2 is out sooner than expected.

Devlog entry: https://surt-r.itch.io/das-geisters...store-page-updated-roadmap-for-future-updates
We've updated the full and demo builds to v1.0.2. Consider taking a look at the changelog here.

In addition, the Original Soundtrack and Declassified files were added to the game page for convenience.

With v1.0.2 we believe we've entered the stage where we can finally say that we're satisfied with the quality of the game and can shift our focus towards enhancements, Steam release and planning/prototyping of our next game. Nevertheless, we are going to continue supporting Das Geisterschiff with fixes, tweaks and enhancements.

Currently, our long-term todo list is:
  • Check every map for additional things/details that the players may want to analyze;
  • Make it possible to localize the game into other languages;
  • Add minor QoL features where possible.
Thank you for your support and have a nice day.

--RS

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Results from the first week: sales and reception are better than expected.

This makes me excited about the potential performance on Steam. Might as well end up hitting that 'yuge success for a good little nobody' mark w/ 4K sales.

Thanks for your support guys. :positive:

lightbane

Arcane
Finished the demo at long last. Way easier and "beginner-friendlly" than I had expected, since what I know about blobber games is that they exist and... That's it. The demo is way too short though, although it gives a taste of the game's style.

Overall, I think it succeeds at what tries to do, except for a few minor flaws like the font style, that sometimes makes you confuse "0" with "8", or that the Laser doesn't seem to have much use except for disabling mines. Also, what's the point of the SMG when the Assault Rifle is slightly better? Or that's what I believe, it would be cool to know exactly how much damage your weaponry does (I think that the SMG for example can do more than the base 40 damage, depending on how many bullets impact, right?).

In fact, I miss a proper melee weapon like a combat knife of some sort, it would make perfect sense. Naturally, it would be unusable against doors and weak to balance its usage.

Lastly, is there a way to get more ammo for your guns in the full-game? I'm not sure if Workshops reload your magazines, or if you're meant to complete missions/dungeons with your current gear and be refreshed at the end of each.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finished the demo at long last. Way easier and "beginner-friendlly" than I had expected, since what I know about blobber games is that they exist and... That's it. The demo is way too short though, although it gives a taste of the game's style.

Overall, I think it succeeds at what tries to do, except for a few minor flaws like the font style, that sometimes makes you confuse "0" with "8", or that the Laser doesn't seem to have much use except for disabling mines. Also, what's the point of the SMG when the Assault Rifle is slightly better? Or that's what I believe, it would be cool to know exactly how much damage your weaponry does (I think that the SMG for example can do more than the base 40 damage, depending on how many bullets impact, right?).

In fact, I miss a proper melee weapon like a combat knife of some sort, it would make perfect sense. Naturally, it would be unusable against doors and weak to balance its usage.

Lastly, is there a way to get more ammo for your guns in the full-game? I'm not sure if Workshops reload your magazines, or if you're meant to complete missions/dungeons with your current gear and be refreshed at the end of each.
AR is indeed better, but ammo is not infinite. The basic logic behind each weapon is:
  • SMG: shit damage, several shots w/ low accuracy, might be a good choice against evasive targets;
  • Laser: ok damage, one shot, good accuracy but only useful to snipe targets from far away & against targets w/ low evasion;
  • AR: ok damage, 3 shots, not enough ammo to handle most of the enemies, so it's more of a weapon against fat targets / tough situations;
  • Bazooka: yuge damage, one shot, very slow and clunky to use, not much ammo. Could be used to murder targets w/ good armor.
You can check the information about each weapon @ Unit Setup > Weapons > Slot > Information.
There is a 80-120% spread of damage for each attack, but it can go up to 200% in certain cases (e.g. you missed a shot, the enemy managed to evade the potential direct hit, but they ended up in the same spot).

You're meant to complete the mission w/ stuff you've got -- that's even mentioned in the description on the store page. What you're going to use is up to you -- it's not that easy to show in the demo, although I could just strip down the amount of ammo for the first mission to enforce that, but I never thought about it as a big deal, since the first mission is just a light taste of the game style and allows you to have some fun before you get thrown in a longer mission that requires better planning.

lightbane

Arcane
So, can the SMG and the rifle do more than the base damage if multiple bullets hit? That's what I'm not sure about.
Also, can you encounter and fight multiple enemies at once in the full game?

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
So, can the SMG and the rifle do more than the base damage if multiple bullets hit? That's what I'm not sure about.
Also, can you encounter and fight multiple enmiede at once in the full game?
Yes, but the game does not communicate how many shots hit the target. You can do more damage by getting closer to the enemy (gives a bonus to the hit chance and a slight damage bonus) and/or attacking from higher ground (gives a slight bonus to the damage + penalty to the target's evasion).

As for the fights, they're one-on-one in the game mostly because I had to keep it simple for the first try. Multiple enemies should have some sort of a squad behavior (or fighting between each other if you happen to encounter enemies from two opposed factions) and at that time I didn't have a clear idea of how this could be pulled off. Multiple enemies per fight would be cool to add in the future game(s) though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
v1.0.3 progress as of today.
  • Added 16+ new spots for analysis;
  • Fixed noticeable slowdown on slower configs @ Zivilsektor D33;
  • Fixed noticeable gaps between solid geometry and lines @ Zivilsektor D33 and Hideout.
Hoping to get this update this weekend. I wonder if I can reach 100 new spots for analysis, there are enough spots in the game that the player may want to check out.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Ok, took me longer than expected, but hey, it's worth the wait. Testing the update now, will go live on October 19th.

Changelog: https://surt-r.itch.io/das-geisterschiff/devlog/51766/v103-notes
  • Fixed slowdown on slower hardware @ Zivilsektor D33;
  • Fixed gaps between polygons and lines @ Zivilsektor D33, Tunnels and Hideout;
  • Fixed minor graphical inconsistencies on a couple of maps;
  • Added additional detail to a couple of maps in the Gangland chapter;
  • Added dozens of new messages for the Analyze function. Thanks to Ninjerk, Bpy6 and Deuce Traveler for providing suggestions;
  • Help screen can be closed by pressing ESC along with F1 now;
  • Additional improvements, tweaks & fixes.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
A few screenshots from v1.0.3. I went over each ingame area and added minor details here and there while also adding new places you can analyze. There changes are minor, but should add to that 'the world has already ended and the future is metal' atmosphere. Not shown: subtle polygonal piss stains.

Dpfdse6XgAAsvhL.jpg:orig
Dpfds9oWkAA00fu.jpg:orig
DpfdtbvWsAA0p9y.jpg:orig

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Aaand v1.0.3 is out. You know where to get it.

Right here.

Demos will be updated at a later date.

As for the Steam release...
...things are going smoothly. December 13 is still a valid date. :positive:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Finally purchased this. Now I just need to score some coke, lay some rails to keep at hand, shut all the lights off, and pretend I'm piloting a mech all night long.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Hey zwanzig_zwoelf

What helps you financially more: buying a copy now, or waiting for steam? Assume I’ll leave a review.
Either way is fine by me. Itch takes a smaller cut (10%) from my sales compared to what's known about Steam (30%).

Finally purchased this. Now I just need to score some coke, lay some rails to keep at hand, shut all the lights off, and pretend I'm piloting a mech all night long.
Enjoy.

lightbane

Arcane
Eagerly waiting for the steam version, if only because it will be quite polished by then.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Eagerly waiting for the steam version, if only because it will be quite polished by then.
1.0.3 is already polished enough. I guess this will be the version that ends up on Steam unless I find more issues along the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom