Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Dayyālu

Arcane
It's desperation. They can't make a a good self-sustaining RTS as there simply isn't an audience for it anymore, so they copy pasted MOBAs.

Won't work, I fear. Whatever, the essence of past DoW games was a blend of SP and MP (even if the DoW2 MP was iffy at best). Doing mediocre SP with poor audio design ( always the strong point of previous Relic games) means they must be working on a shoestring budget.

Pity.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
As I said I am not a huge RTS fan, MP usually has a pretty steep learning curve and most communities I've come across are shit.
Ironically MOBA communities are the worst.

I actually didn't mind most of my (pub) teammates in DoW2. Maybe because I always had rum and coke.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's desperation. They can't make a a good self-sustaining RTS as there simply isn't an audience for it anymore
I wouldn't agree with that.
Look at this forum, look at the reviews on Steam, etc.
Much disappointment means that many people care.

Really, there is an audience for RTS.
But that audience is being faced with either shit (as this one seems to be) and/or downright attempts to clone SC (1 or 2, doesn't matter) instead of something somewhat imaginative, or at least reinterpreting some classics new.
I think that all RTS games that came out in the last years were deeply flawed. Without exception. And that is not a problem of "no audience". Of course a game like Grey Goo won't do too well, if it is just enjoyable for a bit at first but then "meh".

Something to stun-lock people in awe is needed (as Dark Souls did for action "rpg"s, or Stardew Valley for good old Harvest Moon type games, or Starbound for the Minecraft-likes). Or... just something that is not shit.

It amazes me that devs seem unable to produce something that fails at just being, well, enjoyable.
Big publishers are only interested in aiming for the big cash with the least effort involved, and that means producing a MOBA or SC clone - or an unholy mix of those two.
I'm pretty sure it will be up to smaller devs again. Of course, that comes with its own set of problems as RTS games are simply very hard to do from a development perspective. Most likely the hardest genre to pull off with a small team.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
What notable rts games have even been released in the last 5 years?
All you get now is generic rts game with generic units(generic artillery,generic tank,etc),boring and short campaign and shit optimization.
Look at games like grey goo,ashes of the singularity,planetary annihilation,all suffer from those critiques.
When you look at older rts games you can see interesting units,cheesy but fun campaigns and mods.
And where the hell are the age of empire type games?They would be perfect for casuals considering their slower pace.
The market is there but modern dev's are talentless hacks who can't even make a functioning engine(i am looking at you ashes of the singularity),let alone interesting designs.
I mean people can bitch about starcraft and war game series,but at least they get the basics down.

And i also love how dev's still have not understood to not chase the moba/esports angle.
The only successful e-sport games are dota/lol/starcraft,everything else is a failure in terms of viewers and popularity.
Nobody is going to stop watching or playing them because of a new game.
Hell just look at Blizzard's attempt to make hearthstone and heroes of the storm a e-sport,it is a complete failure.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And where the hell are the age of empire type games?They would be perfect for casuals considering their slower pace.
No shit.
The last one was probably AoE Online. Which was actually a nice AoE below that layer of payment wall filth.
Just a well-done "clone" of AoE by now would be very welcome. Give it a nice conquest campaign instead of that story-focused nonsense (never turns out well, does it?), done. If you really want icing on the cake, make that conquest campaign co-op enabled.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-28-dawn-of-war-3-review

Dawn of War 3 review
At last, back to war.

jpg

recommended-large-net.png

Dawn of War finally returns with a fascinating, if imperfect, twist on the modern RTS.

There is great joy to be had in watching big things smash into each other.

It's a fact. A prima facie truth, which Relic Entertainment's long awaited Warhammer 40,000 strategy sequel understands more than any other in its genre. Within minutes of my first multiplayer game in Dawn of War 3 - a feisty one-on-one against an old friend and fellow DoW veteran - I had their whole army, plus one of the most enormous units in the series' history, suspended in mid air and torn apart at the seams with one colossal beam of energy; a last-gasp trap I'd laid in one final, desperate defence. Quite the spectacle, even if my friend did have to 'suddenly leave' soon after.

Dawn of War 3
  • Publisher: Sega
  • Developer: Relic Entertainment
  • Platform: Reviewed on PC
  • Availability: Out now on PC
Dawn of War 3's delivery of these joyous moments, mind, is somewhat inconsistent. It often stumbles, from baffling swings in the competency of its AI opponents to curious missteps in presenting crucial information on units, resources, and interactions. Anyone versed in real-time strategy will likely lament the rigid nature of its online component, and if you've even poked a nose into the 40,000 community, you'll have a good idea of what they think about front-flipping Terminator armour.

These are inevitable byproducts of developer Relic's audacious gamble on merging previously disparate games and genres into one. And it is a gamble, because like so many things, you need to risk a little to gain a lot - and, when it does all come together, Dawn of War 3 is exceptional. Like its own brilliantly realised race of Orks prove, clumsy execution matters not if your Morkanaut lands a hard enough punch.

jpg

A Morkanaut, delivering a hard punch.

The appetite for revolution in Dawn of War games is omnipresent. Previous incarnations of the series' fanatical 40,000 universe have operated on entirely opposite ends of the spectrum. The first Dawn of War - and its superb expansions Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, and Soulstorm - took the more traditional RTS route of grand scale and total freedom for the player, through a range of modes on big, open, widely varying maps. Dawn of War 2 flipped it all on its head for small, squad-based micromanagement, running role-play elements of unit improvement, and a deeper dive into the tactical mechanics of cover, suppression, and active abilities.

Unsurprisingly and quite justifiably then, Dawn of War 3 is an attempt at merging the strongest elements of the two. But there is a third factor in play here: the looming, ever-controversial influence of the MOBA - albeit in far less dramatic a fashion than many would have you believe.

The reality is Dawn of War 3 still very much sits within the boundaries of real-time strategy. Base-building, resource management, and vast, varied armies are all present and accounted for, along with, crucially, a scope for significant variance in tactics. There's also a fully realised single-player campaign which is often brilliant. Equally as often however, particularly in its early stages, missions can feel a little flat.

Still, the single-player story's setup is about as Dawn of War as it gets: three races - the aforementioned Orks, plus the wizened space-elves of the Eldar and the human, ultra-fanatical Space Marines - come together in a mutually violent search for the Spear of Khaine, an ominous MacGuffin found at the heart of the also-ominous wandering planet, Acheron.

I sound more than a little disdainful here but really this inimitably entertaining schlock is exactly what Dawn of War and the wider 40,000 universe does best. The Orks, in particular, are an absolute delight to use, not just because of that race's whirlwind blitzkrieg of a playstyle, but the brilliant comic relief provided by their leader Gorgutz's frothing dialogue (and an impeccable performance from voice actor Nathan Constance).

The campaign does a commendable job of warming you up to the quirks of its three factions. The Orks stand out yet again in that regard, largely because of a scrap mechanic that underpins their ability to both upgrade and occasionally construct units, and indeed main man Gorgutz's own active abilities: a go-go-gadget arm that taunts nearby enemies and draws Gorgutz to its location, even across gaps in terrain, and another which has Gorgutz spin said arm above his head, blocking all incoming ranged damage for a period of time and dishing out its own in a circle. The opportunities it enables - taunting a squad of Eldar Banshees away from your vulnerable ranged units at the last second, for instance, or jumping in front of your troops to block huge amounts of heavy bolter fire - are immensely satisfying.

There are similar moments to be had with the franchise poster-boys the Space Marines, but the same, strangely, can't really be said of the Eldar. Despite occupying arguably a central role in the campaign's story, they suffer at the hands of an extremely steep learning curve, forgettable leader units and one mission in particular that features one of the most alarming spikes in difficulty I've ever seen.

That said, once it ramps up and gives you access to the good stuff, Dawn of War 3's campaign works to a scorching crescendo. It's certainly a shame to see the addictive, globe-trotting conquest maps of the first Dawn of War fade as a single-player mode, and at times this particular campaign can feel a little like a lengthy introduction to multiplayer principles. But some potent, backs-against-the-wall moments, mission design that often forces you to deftly balance focus across multiple areas of battle - with a smart control system to facilitate it - and some quintessential Warhammer 40,000 tone is enough to make the campaign feel just about worthy in its own right.

All of this, however, is secondary. Dawn of War 3 is a game that will live and die by its multiplayer. For better or worse, the competitive implications are at the root of every decision, woven into it the fabric of the game at every level, and ultimately it'll be those that dictate its longevity and influence in the years to come.

A good job, then, that despite another surprising round of abandoned strategy tropes, it's in the colosseum of online battle that Dawn of War 3 puts in its most captivating performance.

jpg

When you get playing this does make sense. Just about.

Venturing online, what you won't find is a huge variety of factions, a particularly large range of maps or, even, an ability to customise just about anything but the number of players in the game. The online segment is extraordinarily rigid for an RTS, to the point where it seems bizarre to even feature a 'Match Type' column when searching for games in the lobby browser seeing as beneath that title you'll only ever read one thing: Power Core.

Dawn of War 3's singular mode is, on the face of it, a game of annihilation played out on a fairly run-of-the-mill type of map. Resource points at various locations, more valuable ones in the more strategically vulnerable spots, and bases at either end. The dreaded MOBA influence comes in a small tweak to that formula, by way of destructible shield generators, turrets, and power cores.

Each team - matches are 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3, that's it - has one power core in their base, a couple of turrets further outside of it, and respective shield generators in front of them. The effect, as much as it alarms some of the more easily spooked in the community, is in fact a subtle one. Most of the game plays out as any traditional RTS face-off would: the early game is a typically fretful dance of micromanagement around the most contested resource points and areas of cover - these operate slightly differently again here, as capturable points which pop up a strong, projectile-blocking shield that only lets certain enemies pass, making them hugely demanding of tactical nuance themselves.

jpg

Flamers are a great way to melt any cowering traitors hiding inside cover, but on another day you may be better served with a melee assault.

As games progress, the emphasis will generally shift to your progress towards calling in Elites - perhaps the last elephant I've left lurking in the room until now. Elites function not so much as the MOBA champions to which they've been compared, but as any other leader, late-game, or special unit would in any other RTS. The difference here is that you select the three Elites you'd like to be available in a game before the match starts - in a similar vein to the Command Doctrines of Relic's own Company of Heroes 2 - and those are then called down in a range of theatrical entrances once you've earned enough Elite Points in-game from special resource points, another callback, this time to the Relic Points in the first Dawn of War.

The functionality of Elites is set apart, however, by two things. First, that element of pre-match planning and choice is crucial. Different Elites cost different amounts - you may never get to the point where you could call in a 9-point Wraithknight, but skew yourself too heavily towards early game Elites and fail to capitalise on it, and you could be left overwhelmed by your opponent.

Second, these Elites have active abilities - just the same as so many units in RTS always have - but they're mapped, deviously, to the QWER buttons (the ones used to control champions in MOBAs) that now populate the memory of the more 'modern' player. It's a simple trick - a sleight of hand even, seeing as you could always remap hotkeys anyway - but one that undeniably works in creating an air of accessibility, and an emphasis on using your actives as frequently and intelligently as possible.

Come the late-game and, as you'd expect, it's time for the payoff from all that early squabbling and mid-game decision-making. Whether or not you've spent Elite Points on balance-tipping early Elites or saved them and 'teched' towards a late-game nuke of huge walkers like the Morkanaut or Imperial Knight - or faction abilities like my own use of the friendship-breaking Orbital Bombardment in that first game - will have a significant impact.

What elevates this to such fantastic, hang-wringing intensity though is the fact that so often, like the very best strategy games, you'll have to discard your original tactics and adapt to what's been thrown at you by the enemy.

jpg

One example of a heavily early-game focused group of Elites. Great for a rush, but what if your teammates aren't up for the same plan?

Abandoning hope, in a split second decision, for the nine point walker unit you were counting on all game and gambling five on an easily-missed Orbital Bombardment instead is exactly the kind of anxiety-inducement I need from an RTS. I want my hopes and dreams shattered, my heart and soul put through the most heretical wringer as I shout at friends, frothing at the mouth and agonising over what to do next, how to respond to this traitorous xeno filth attacking my flanks. Yes, I can't help but lament the loss of those classic, arcadey, eight-player free-for-alls. And I do cast a wistful gaze at even Dawn of War 3's campaign maps, which look perfectly suited for just such a game. But in moments like this all of it is very much forgotten.

There are still flaws, and they are significant. One is an inevitable teething pain of the switch to a greater dependency on abilities and effects: clear and accurate tooltips, in this brave new world of competitive influence, are surprisingly important. Dawn of War 3 falls flat on its face in that regard with near-absurd levels of vagueness. The closest you'll get is something like a "25 per cent increase in resources generated" from a point when you upgrade it - but exactly how quickly was it earning resources in the first place the God-Emperor only knows. It sounds a little ridiculous, but at the highest level the specifics of upgrades, and certain interactions, are essential. I still can't decipher, for example, why some Banshee Charges turn whole squads into red mist, and others seem to pass, ethereal, right through them. Such duels can decide the early game - and snowball the rest with it.

In the same vein I cannot understand the quite significant input lag from both mouse clicks and button presses alike. There is a good, half-second beat between a command and a unit's response. To those with a competitive background this is borderline unacceptable, and whilst the strains on instant response aren't quite so intense in RTS games as they would be in other areas of the field, it absolutely bears mentioning in a game where a feature like the previous entries' gruesome, widely-adored kill animations are removed for the sake of appeasing competitive concerns.

And yet, significant as I believe those points to be, the flowing, eerie, ruby locks of that powersliding Eldar Wraithknight still call out to me. I think of suffering at the hands of an enemy Eldar's 'blob' of mid-tiered Wraithguards all through the mid-game, and then mowing them down mercilessly with one active blast of my Imperial Knight in the late. I think of big Beauty the Morkanaut and the clumps of flailing Space Marines she drags flying through the air with her claw. And those concerns begin to fade.

For every one of them, too, there's an equal and opposite positive to be found. Doctrines, much like Elites, are a smart addition that allows you tack-on three strategy-morphing modifications to your faction before a battle; the Army Painter returns with a more vast catalogue of designs than ever; the breadth of active abilities across units forces you to make smart, difficult decisions with your attention; and what about Relic's tremendous long-term support of its other recent RTS games, that continues even now?

Dawn of War 3 is not going to be universally popular - that much is clear already - and nor is it, despite appearances, going to turn the entire genre of real-time strategy on its head. But like it or not, the clunking, lumbering hulk of Terminator Armor that strategy gaming has become is indeed beginning to creak at the joints. Relic has had the audacity to launch it into an unexpected frontflip, and what a glorious, inventive somersault of design Dawn of War 3 is, even if it doesn't completely stick the landing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/dawn-of-war-3-review

Dawn of War 3 review

Forget your Facebook feed, Warhammer 40K’s depiction of the future is quite possibly the worst imagined in any popular fiction. It’s populated by factions so used to perpetual conflict that they’ve integrated war into the very fabric of their societies, religions and cultures.

All this makes 40K the perfect setting for an RTS game, as we’ve already discovered on two previous occasions with the Dawn of War series. The latest entry, Dawn of War III, is a more self-aware take on the mythos, while also playing like a more traditional RTS at heart. It doesn’t do much new, but Relic Entertainment have made sure that those familiar things it does do are delivered with booming confidence and great character.

In the campaign you rotate between control of three warring factions - the zealous Space Marines, the snobbish space elves of the Eldar, and the Orks… who are every bit thuggish charmers you want them to be. Each side is vying to get their hands on a powerful pointy stick called the Spear of Khaine, while an Eldar prophecy tells of a rogue planet that’s set to crash with the human planet of Cyprus Ultima. The Space Marine and Eldar plots are fronted by old-timer Gabriel Angelos and Farseer Macha respectively, both of whom are having to contend with megalomaniacal, self-serving commanders as well as their rivals. The Ork protagonist, meanwhile, is returning Warboss Gorgutz, who’s amassing an army by overpowering fellow Ork warchiefs and declaring himself their leader, or Megaboss, as I imagine they’d say in Orkish parlance.

9_3.jpg

The plot is nicely presented using still images and conversations between missions, with the sombre horns and space whirs of the background music establishing a weighty melancholy tone. Each side is given enough motive that whoever you align with, you care about the outcome. The multiple perspectives are fitting for a universe of endless war, where things are rarely so simple as a matter of Good vs Evil (in a way, everyone’s a murderous savage, the Orks are just more honest about it). The erudite arrogance of the Eldar and earnestness of the Space Marines contrast nicely with the freewheeling Ork horde, who won me over through the sheer force of personality that runs through every aspect of their presentation - from the architecture of their buildings, to their soundbites and style of play.

Each faction plays distinctly. The Space Marines offer your standard RTS progression and tactics, with stable bases, upgrade structures, and an array of classic combined arms units. The Eldar’s greatest advantage comes with their movement speed and teleporting bases and units. You can zap all of their key structures pretty much anywhere on the map once you’ve acquired the upgrades, making them great for surprise attacks and keeping your enemy guessing as to your next move. Relocating bases all the time and keeping track of what teleports went where got a bit fiddly for my creaking mouse-hand, but the strategic advantages of the Eldar for more pro-level RTS players than myself are clear.

Then there are the Orks. Man, how I love those guys. They’re such a rowdy, personable bunch that I want to hang out with them, drinking grog, partaking in pissing contests and rocking out beneath the blaring speakers of their WAAAAGH towers. Even just hovering around Ork bases and watching their rickety, shaking buildings clanging away, churning units from their shoddy maw-like entrances is a joy to behold. Along with upgrading their army through buildings, Orks can collect scrap around the battlefield to upgrade and build vehicles. Best of all, you can pump them up for battle by standing them around WAAAAGH towers, and making them listen to 15 or so seconds of Ork Metal music, giving them temporary speed and attack boosts; watching them roar then rush into battle after one of these mosh pits climaxes is a moment of RTS sublimeness. But even the little details are great. From the cowardice of the worker Gretchins when you order them to build a structure, to the broken-voice mania of the Shooter Boyz, the Orks are possibly the most heartily fun faction I’ve ever controlled in an RTS (honourable mention to the Orcs of Warcraft II).

8_0.jpg

Casting aside my personal obsession with the Orks, Dawn of War III achieves the crucial task of making each faction viable and satisfying. There’s some nice self-aware swagger to the Space Marines too, as cold ‘motivational’ announcements occasionally blare out on tannoys, offering posthumous honours for Marines doing their duty, and thanking them for their perseverance if they’re experiencing problems with their suit air supplies. It’s a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that every soldier - in Warhammer as in the RTS genre - is expendable and replaceable, and acknowledges that the series is at a stage where it can make a little fun of itself.

Being of the traditional flavour, Dawn of War III doesn’t introduce any mechanics that will convince non-RTS fans that the genre has evolved and must be revisited. For returning Dawn of War players, the most notable difference will be the reintroduction of base-building after a hiatus last time round. The system kills off any hope for those seeking a ‘Dawn of Company of War Heroes’, if you will, replacing it unapologetically with unit-spawning and defensive structures that you can plonk down anywhere on the map. There’s micro-management aplenty, as you split your units into control groups, send out scouts to find the enemy, and engage in sizeable skirmishes where you must show prudence in knowing which units to target, when to switch your units’ attacks between melee and ranged, and when to retreat. It’s all very competent, but take away the excellent presentation and you’re left with a rather old-school RTS that doesn’t feel as ambitious as the devs’ previous work.

Each mission feels substantial, usually divvied up into three mini-acts that are a mix of small-scale quests involving hero units, timed set-pieces, dubious stealth sequences and, of course, beefy base-building followed by epic confrontations and base-smashing. While offering a well-balanced and often suspenseful mix of activities, the pace sometimes falters. There were too many occasions when resources were so scarce that I had to wait five or more minutes to rebuild my army, with no threat from the enemy and nothing much to do but watch those overly familiar resource and power counters tick up to a level where I could convert them into units. You’d have thought that after 20 or so years of the genre’s existence in this form, a stalwart developer like Relic could’ve come up with a solution to this kind of thumb-twiddling nothingness.

7_2.jpg

Every faction’s units brim with unique abilities that balance out their various advantages and disadvantages. Eldar infantry, for example, tend to be more fragile than their rivals, but charge into battle using the Howling Banshees’ Quick Strike, and with them you quickly level the playing field. They also possess plenty of elusive aerial units as well as a genetic propensity for running speed and teleporting. Space Marines have the advantage of concussive abilities such as Whirlwind artillery strikes, jetpacking Storm Troopers, and Dreadnought Slams, while Orks, mindful upcyclers that they are, have a huge array of vehicles they can create out of battlefield detritus.

When all this this machinery of war collides, the resultant carnage is everything you’d want to see from a Warhammer 40K RTS. When armies collide, they do so with impact, as troops wearing seemingly impenetrable armour get disembodied by vicious claws, chainswords and searing laser beams. Battlefields become pockmarked as you bombard them, and strewn with ruined buildings, non-biodegradable corpses and giblets of fallen warriors as you fight for control of them. Seeing a map degenerate from a creaking arena of war into a blood-and-metal bath is very satisfying.

A big swinger in these skirmishes will be Elite units, which are unlocked as you gain battle experience and can be summoned at any point (again, they’re expendable as you can revive them after a set amount of time). These range from clubbing melee tanks like the hammer-swinging Gabriel Angelos and be-clawed Gorgutz, to ethereal caster types like the Eldar’s Ronahn and Farseer Macha, right up to impressive behemoth super-units like Imperial Knight Solaria and the Eldar Wraithknight.

6_1.jpg

As well as offering obvious tactical advantages, these units carry the gravitas of Warhammer 40K history. There’s a good chance you’ll recognise the hulking Space Marine Terminators, for example, while the skullheaded Chaplain Diomedes (great name) and likeable Orks with monikers like Weirdboy Zapnoggin and Beauty da Morkanaut bespeak the universe’s rich lore and character design. It’s all an impressive showcase of the 40K universe’s heritage, and it’s telling that you can admire these elite units in the menus, rotating them around on round platforms much like you would your old physical Warhammer 40K models (unpainted, in my case). In short, the 40K universe is awesome, Relic know it, and they make damn sure you know it too.

While there are no noteworthy modes or innovations to speak of in Dawn of War III’s multiplayer component (no Halo Wars 2-style Blitz, for example), the arena-like maps help ensure the battles are balanced and brisk. There’s a nice crossover too between single and multiplayer, as you can level up to get doctrines - passive and active boosts for your armies and elite units - that you can transfer between the two. With that said, just the one game mode (for now) and a lack of the single-player campaign’s narrative drive doesn’t compel me to keep at it, although more hardcore players and purists will no doubt enjoy its no-nonsense, esport-friendly approach.

Seeing as Relic redefined the RTS with their WWII-based games, it’s a bit baffling that none of the nuances or complexities are to be seen here, especially after Dawn of War II seemed to take a few small steps in that direction. Defensive structures, infantry digging in, and snipers holing up in the endless ruins peppering the levels would’ve fitted brilliantly with the 40K mythos, especially as these things are such an integral part of the tabletop game. Instead, the environments serve as little more than backdrops (featuring the occasional pre-determined defensive structure) rather than actual battlefields offering notable tactical possibilities. It seems a tad wasteful from a developer known for their savvy use of environments and defensive strategies in RTS games.

4_4.jpg

But while Relic clearly had no intention of fomenting another RTS revolution here, they at least worked within the existing order to create a vivid futuristic hellhole of awesome spectacle and scale. Gurning, screaming Orks slamming into a squadron of austere Space Marines, slick giant Darkwraiths colliding with clanging Orkine machinations, and large-scale cosmic carnage sum up the ethos here; DoW III is a game of big, meaty encounters and twitch-quick micro-management rather than sneaky ambushes and environmental tactics, and it delivers on that with the shredding impact of a chainsword slicing through an Ork’s skull.

Within that, Dawn of War III nails the narrative and distinctive mechanics for each faction, creating a firm, steely foundation for more factions to be thrown in at a later date. It thrills me to think of how Relic would integrate the Chaos Marines, Tyranids, or my beloved Imperial Guard into this format, and see them given the same high level of attention as the current contestants.

This is the most conventional RTS in an historically unconventional series. While this fact alone may divide players, its quality of presentation and polished mechanics mean that, as it inevitably expands with more content, Dawn of War III may yet become the champion of a genre that remains stubbornly resistant to evolution.

Verdict: 8/10

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
"Professional games journalism" :lol:

But yeah, journalists are simply incredibly easy to sway with fancy graphics and sound. I think most of those just want an easy to consume product, without putting much thought into it.

My favorite is that it seems like you cannot change the hotkeys.
Why would anyone let a release loose missing such a crucial feature? I don't even... But I think it speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-review/

DAWN OF WAR 3 REVIEW

Outlandish swagger seeps through every pixel of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3, and I can't help but admire it. Here we find a future so advanced that people flit about in spacecraft as easily as we take the bus, and yet one of its greatest heroes is a guy wielding a big frickin' hammer.

And oh, how he uses it. The man is Gabriel Angelos, commander of the Blood Ravens of the Space Marines, and he leaps into piles of orks and sends them flying as effectively as Chris Farley cannonballing a balsa coffee table. I press another hotkey and his hammer swings 360 degrees, causing orc blood and guts to splatter the turf and walls in gruesome imitation of Jackson Pollock. I may have grown weary of other elements in the latest entry in Relic Entertainment's long-running real-time strategy franchise, but from start to finish I admired the gusto of its presentation.

Dawn of War 3 is all about recapturing that classic real-time strategy excitement. Much of the time it succeeds. It accomplishes it not only with (literally) larger than life elite units like Gabriel, but also by stuffing in massive-screen hogging armies, limited base-building, and squabbles over resource nodes. Some good elements from the past get lost in the process, such as the cover system and Diablo-style loot hunts that helped make 2009's Dawn of War 2 so exciting, but nothing shines so brightly in this new dawn as the emphasis on unrelenting, aggressive action. What it lacks in creative scenarios it makes up for in intensity, to the point that I rarely found myself bored in both multiplayer and the campaign.

With a better story, Dawn of War 3 may have even been magnificent. It certainly has the ingredients on hand—a dash of old, favorite characters like the Eldar's Farseer Macha and a crunchy pinch of the Orkish warboss Gorgutz 'Ead 'Unter—but it squanders it on an unappetizing tale about the humans, Orks, and Eldar (space elves) brutally bickering over a mysterious spear and some business about a runaway planet. There's war! There's betrayal! Wacky alliances emerge! In other words, well, it's essentially Warhammer as usual.

The big difference this time around is that Dawn of War 3 lets you play all three factions in the 17-mission campaign rather than limiting yourself to the Space Marines. Each bunch feels distinct, and I found experimenting with each one of the greatest joys Dawn of War has to offer. The Space Marines may be a straightforward bunch with swords and guns, but they march down that straight path with panache, mowing down Orks and Eldar with hulking mechs or smashing through walls of green flesh with Gabriel's big hammer. The Eldar, though, are a band apart. Lithe and lean, they dart across the battlefield with rechargeable shields and an emphasis on strike-and-run tactics, and they can teleport almost all of their base's structures across the field rather than build a new one.

But it's the Orks that steal the show. They can upgrade themselves with the scrap from ruined buildings littering the field, and every one of their ramshackle structures invites admiration. Nothing sets them apart quite like their WAAAAGH towers, though, which look like things that might be loaded on Mad Max: Fury Road's doof wagon and which pump thumpin' heavy metal out to the green hordes around them. Activate one—hell, activate five of them—and the music intensifies until the surrounding orcs revel in a savage ecstasy, gaining enough attack boosts and speed to knock some hurt into anyone who comes near. It's been a long time since I've felt such a satisfying buildup in an RTS.

It can get tough to see all these units in action, particularly when the screen floods with little green men (that do drag the framerates down to around 40 frames per second or so), but the intuitive user interface usually smooths out any potential issues. Every squad that's either in the field or being prepared gets its own little square at the bottom of the screen, making it easy to keep track of which ones are taking heavy fire and need to be directed over to a health boost. They also make it easy to tell which units need to be upgraded, as the icon changes once the upgrade is in place to reflect the newer look.

Such variety. Such potential. But for all of the creativity that went into making each faction feel distinct, only a little made it into the maps themselves. A fairly typical mission might see me stepping into the clanky shoes of an elite like Gorgutz and directing my guys to muscle their way from one point to another, smashing whatever objective was there, and capturing resource nodes throughout the map. I'd then set up a few base buildings like barracks and an advanced vehicle shop, and then take the battle to whoever was on the other side. And that, sadly, would usually be that.

The lack of creativity fortunately doesn't mean a lack of content. At least the missions are long; their objectives neatly scattered. It took perhaps half an hour to plow through the shortest one, and the longest one took a couple of hours out of me. But the pacing isn't always perfect. Even on some of the most intense maps, I still found myself in plenty of situations where I'd end up waiting quietly and awkwardly for resources to pick back up so I could enter some more units into the queue. Worse, at least as far as believable strategy is concerned, in almost every one of these vulnerable cases the enemy showed next to zero interest in taking me out. Cover might as well not exist at all. Sure, you'll find a couple of circular areas with destructible shields across the map, but the battles rarely seem to take place near them.

For better or for worse, it's usually safe to expect a dull campaign from a real-time strategy game. After all, the joke-that's-not-a-joke goes that they're really only meant as lengthy tutorials for the multiplayer mode, and that's true here. The catch? Dawn of War 3 does a shoddy job of it. Rather than sending you through multiple missions at a time with a single faction, Relic passes you off to a different faction every mission. I started off with humans, but one mission later I was turning up my nose along with the Eldar. One more, and I was shouting WAAAAAAAGH with the Orks. (That was my favorite.) And then it's "Hey, humies" all over again.

Stomaching this kind of thing might have been easier if the factions played a little more similarly (which would bring its own set of problems), but the factions play so differently that it's tough to get the hang of micromanaging the upgrades for squads, the specific abilities for three elite heroes and their grunt units, and the queues for specific buildings. Just as I'm getting comfortable with the tactics associated with a certain faction, I'm asked to step into another. The narrative suffers a little as a result as well, as the disjointed story does little to foster the cohesion that comes from a focus on one faction.

Sometimes, though, the spectacle of its setpiece kept my attention. I wish there had been more. Early on, for instance, the Orks cobble together a big gun in an inconvenient spot and then realize moving it might pose a few problems. They realize after the first shot that the gun has a massive kickback, so the latter part of the mission hinges of the orcs fighting off Eldar as they warm it up and fire it toward the next point on the map. Dawn of War 3 also revels in the beauty of carnage. Forums and subreddits leading up to the official launch crawled with complaints that it looked too "cartoony," but the graphical approach here generally works well in action. Dawn of War 3 unfortunately doesn't let you zoom in for detail as far as Dawn of War 2, but from afar, the flashy animations for elites make it easy to find them in the flood of fighters.

Elites are the mighty hero units that dominate Dawn of War 3. A specter of Warcraft 3 heroes looms over their presence, to the point that Gabriel himself—standing twice the size of his fellow men and toting a two-handed mallet—could be sculpted into a modern-day model for Arthas Menethil with little effort. He leaps into battle with arcs perhaps better suited to comic books than grimdark fantasy and his voice actor clearly enjoy yelling out his goofy, noble lines with weighty conviction. (Sound design as a whole is a great strength throughout.) I admire the surprising variety in both appearance and abilities in all of them. Some, like Farseer Macha, who tosses her spear across the map and unleashes telekinetic blasts, are fairly simple. My personal favorite is likely the Orks' Beauty da Morkanaut, a building-sized walking metal effigy of the Ork god Mork that lumbers through the battlefield taking on entire armies on its own with its devastating "rockit fists" and "kustom force shield."

They're like gods on the field, and I can't shake the feeling that they're too powerful. That's not to say that they're immortal, as you could take down a melee-focused elite like Gabriel with some smart positioning of snipers and other ranged units. And to be fair, taking one of the giants down is one of the great thrills of the game.

But there's a good chance Gabriel could just jump into that pile of snipers and scatter them anyway. I normally get the most satisfaction from real-time strategy games by lining up a smart succession of grunts troops, but such meticulous efforts come off as a waste of time here when elites crush your armies within seconds. Elites technically can't even die. You first summon elites of varying power by building elite points from passive play (Da Morkanaut takes a hefty 9), but after they fall, you only need to wait out a short timer before you can set them to wreaking havoc again. They're so essential to the strategy here, in fact, that in the multiplayer maps I'd frequently see players just turtling around their base until they had enough points to throw an elite into the field. I can't even say I blame them.

You also gain 'skull' currency by leveling elites through the campaign, but that leveling unfolds at a glacial pace. Skulls allow you to buy new 'doctrines' for your elites, such as one that heals all the troops around Gabriel when he falls in battle. You're clearly meant to build up most skull points through the multiplayer mode, as a fully unlocked stable of abilities allows for loadouts that give you significant edges over your opponents.

And what about that multiplayer mode anyway? (And unfortunately, for now, there is just the one and it only comes with eight different maps.) It, too, hearkens back to real-time strategy's good ol' days of building bases, scrounging for resources, and slapping armies of humans, orcs, and elves together into a giant, scrappy pile in 3-v-3, 2-v-2, or 1-v-1 modes.

But there are more distinctly modern elements here, too. The battles themselves aren't really about destroying bases. Instead, they're about taking down 'power cores,' but not before first taking out sets of shield generators and turrets. In short, in action, Dawn of War 3's multiplayer mode looks a lot like a multiplayer online battle arena in the vein of League of Legends or Dota 2.
I initially wasn't much of a fan of the approach, but it's grown on me. A bit, anyway. The presence of elites and escalation timers mean that smart players are always on the offensive, trying to keep the elites and bay and trying to slap key enemy structures with permanent damage. Most of the best action takes place around resource nodes, as losing them can quickly cripple a faction beyond recovery. Playing defensively? You're probably going to get a few nasty comments in chat from your teammates for not helping out. I've grown to love the associated energy, except perhaps when they devolve into what looks like pure chaos in the 3v3 mode.

Still, I'm convinced the elites make the battles go on far longer than they should. You can spend several minutes building a smart selection of troops, but they're little more than wheat before the thresher when an elite stomps on the screen. Elites dominate the field so thoroughly that I've sometimes seen matches devolve into two elites just swatting each other in the middle of the field, their armies dead all around them. It's in these moments that they most resemble a MOBA's hero units, and the look isn't always flattering.

Other flaws pepper the experience, too, whether it's the absence of autosaves during the long campaign missions or the mind-boggling inability to reassign keybinds. For all this, I can't say I wasn't usually having fun. I admire Dawn of War 3 for trying to reinvent its formula again. It isn't quite the pure RTS of the first game or the RPG experiment of the second, but it sits somewhere in between. In its finest moments, when armies are crawling over each other and mechs make the ground tremble, it's an exciting place to be.

THE VERDICT

DAWN OF WAR 3
Dawn of War 3 has overly dominant elites, and a merely serviceable campaign, but it captures the power of mass battles well.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
For better or for worse, it's usually safe to expect a dull campaign from a real-time strategy game. After all, the joke-that's-not-a-joke goes that they're really only meant as lengthy tutorials for the multiplayer mode, and that's true here. The catch? Dawn of War 3 does a shoddy job of it. Rather than sending you through multiple missions at a time with a single faction, Relic passes you off to a different faction every mission. I started off with humans, but one mission later I was turning up my nose along with the Eldar. One more, and I was shouting WAAAAAAAGH with the Orks. (That was my favorite.) And then it's "Hey, humies" all over again.

Stomaching this kind of thing might have been easier if the factions played a little more similarly (which would bring its own set of problems), but the factions play so differently that it's tough to get the hang of micromanaging the upgrades for squads, the specific abilities for three elite heroes and their grunt units, and the queues for specific buildings. Just as I'm getting comfortable with the tactics associated with a certain faction, I'm asked to step into another. The narrative suffers a little as a result as well, as the disjointed story does little to foster the cohesion that comes from a focus on one faction.

Wait, you can't even play as one faction throughout the campaign? :decline:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wathed it last night on Twitch played by some CoH pro. Fell asleep after 20 minutes.
Where is the blood and gore?
This will be in xmass humble bundle.

Sykar

Arcane
As I said I am not a huge RTS fan, MP usually has a pretty steep learning curve and most communities I've come across are shit.
Ironically MOBA communities are the worst.

I actually didn't mind most of my (pub) teammates in DoW2. Maybe because I always had rum and coke.

Biggest understatement of the year. Most MOBA communities are full of toxic trolls and irredeemable retards. The codex is highly civilized and cultured in comparison.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Apparently someone in Relic decided it is a good idea to force people that only care for MP to play SP as well. How? You need skulls (ingame currency) to unlock Elite units and many army doctrines. Just playing MP you will get some of these. If you spend 12h playing SP you will get huge amounts.
To make it even worse, the Elite unit you get during the Campaign get XP and level up and that is carried to MP. But if you only use them in MP they level up super slow, probably 10x slower.
So someone at Relic was on some hard drugs when coming up with this terrible system.
This is even worse than later ME games forcing players to play MP to get a perfect score in SP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom