Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just go an play ELEX. It has plasma rifles, chain swords and jet pack.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Free weekend. :deadhorse:

Did I just see Primaris Diomedes? Are they going to take into account Primaris Marines going forward? Chad Marine elite squad?

You would think their number one priority would be to add new races.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My guess is that they had laid out the plans for new additions for at least one year after release, so they just keep doing it no matter how dead the game already is, because the publisher already paid for it.
They keep adding stuff that really only makes sense with a strong player base, which this one failed to get for a myriad of reasons.

I have no other explanation. They cannot possibly be so blind. Or can they?

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
It's 50% off, and I guess I will buy it. I don't know that if this is a bad idea, but I don't care, I will give a shoot.
The Space Marine campaign missions are decent on max difficulty. Be prepared for the quality to drop off with the ork and elder mission.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Ouch, but not surprising.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...f-war-3-behind-as-it-moves-on-to-new-projects

Relic leaves Dawn of War 3 behind as it moves on to new projects
No major updates planned.

Relic Entertainment has left Dawn of War 3 behind to focus on new projects.

The RTS / MOBA hybrid launched in April 2017 and struggled to find an audience, with long-standing Dawn of War fans put off by the game's art style and MOBA elements. Conversely, the game's MOBA elements failed to attract fans of the genre.

Dawn of War 3's loyal player base was deemed too small to justify further investment in the game, with Relic and Sega chiefs expressing doubt that updates could turn things around. The decision to leave Dawn of War 3 behind means no new races will be added to the game, nor any expansions released, which will come as a disappointment to fans. Dawn of War 3 launched with just three races (Space Marines, Orks and Eldar) and the expectation was more would be added post-launch.

We first heard Relic had considered Dawn of War 3's future late in 2017, but today Relic, via publisher Sega, issued Eurogamer a statement addressing the issue. The statement, below, is ambiguous in that it suggests Relic is still working out Dawn of War's future, but we understand there are no plans for new content.

While Dawn of War 3 has a dedicated player base, it didn't hit the targets we were expecting at launch, and it hasn't performed the way we had hoped since. It's been tough for us as professionals who want to make great games for our players, and for us as people who care a lot about what we do.

When a game underperforms, plans need to change. With Dawn of War 3, we simply don't have the foundation we need to produce major content. We're working in close partnership with Sega and Games Workshop to determine the best course of action, while shifting focus to other projects within our portfolio.
For Relic Entertainment, after a rocky 2017, 2018 looks brighter, with a couple of big projects on the go. The Vancouver-based studio is working on a brand new Age of Empires game for Microsoft, as well as another unannounced project.

Meanwhile, with the disappointment of Dawn of War 3 still fresh in the memory, it's hard to see a new game in the much-loved series any time soon, which for this Warhammer 40,000 fan is sad indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I am mixed on it to be honest. The game was seriously flawed, but I hate to see RTS games completely fail. Feels like an ever shrinking pool.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
with long-standing Dawn of War fans put off by the game's art style and MOBA elements

:philosoraptor:
Why the surprise?
Both is true. Though I personally don't give a shit about art styles (as long as they are consistent and not downright anime), I saw a few comments that were put off by the art style.

Of course, both are just small factors in an ocean of more small and a few bigger factors...

LizardWizard

Cipher
with long-standing Dawn of War fans put off by the game's art style and MOBA elements

:philosoraptor:
Why the surprise?
Both is true. Though I personally don't give a shit about art styles (as long as they are consistent and not downright anime), I saw a few comments that were put off by the art style.

Of course, both are just small factors in an ocean of more small and a few bigger factors...

It's not surprising as nobody wanted or asked for a shitty hybrid moba that played nothing like its predecessors.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
it wasn't a rts to fail. a shit game did. a shit game with shit target audience and shit protection system.
It was a mess for sure, but I still enjoyed parts of DoW III (SM missions on max difficulty to be specific). It was an RTS I could play with some enjoyment. If they just made more content at the same quality as the SM missions, I would have been content, although not amazed. Furthermore, I was at least looking forward to further RTS campaigns in an expansion.

Personally, RTS games are my fall back when I get bored (Broodwar, Starcraft 2, DoW 1, DoW 2, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, etc.). I was hoping to fall back on DoW III on a rainy day as well, but the SM campaign by itself barely warrants a re-download.

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
This is what happens when you don't have fans on board for a franchise like this. I can't imagine DoW3 was made by 40k fans. TW:WH, while certainly not perfect, was made by developers who are WH and tabletop fans, and it shows. There's a respect and appreciation for the source material that shows, while DoW3 feels like using the 40k universe as a vehicle for an unrelated and mostly uninspired RTS. The weird remnants of a microtransaction system didn't help.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Looks like a dev showed up to discuss the recent news: https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15995/well
Hey guys,

Tough morning...we've been reading your comments for the past five hours or so and collecting our thoughts to share.

We know you're disappointed and we are too. This hasn’t been an easy decision to make but it's one we take responsibility for within the studio. We would like to thank all the members of this community for their feedback and support, and extend our sincere gratitude to everyone who stuck with us.

To be very clear, the servers will remain up so those of you who are still enjoying Dawn of War III can continue to wage war. We still have some options on the table for free cosmetic DLC (including a set next week), but we know now that we won't be able to hit your bigger expectations.

Bear with us today. We'll be popping back in this thread to answer questions where we're able to share more.
Ben

The line about free DLC made me chuckle. I guess that shows they were cut off at the knees. He continues on page 5 of the thread: https://community.dawnofwar.com/discussion/15995/well/p5
This is a possibility, for sure.

Edit: laughing at my own nonsense "a possibility, for sure" is dumb.

BETTER ANSWER: we know we won't be doing new factions, or game mechanic reworks. But we're not ruling out smaller updates where they can have a positive impact.

Last edited:

Grif

Learned
This is what happens when you don't have fans on board for a franchise like this. I can't imagine DoW3 was made by 40k fans. TW:WH, while certainly not perfect, was made by developers who are WH and tabletop fans, and it shows. There's a respect and appreciation for the source material that shows, while DoW3 feels like using the 40k universe as a vehicle for an unrelated and mostly uninspired RTS. The weird remnants of a microtransaction system didn't help.

For a WH40k example, look no further than Battlefleet Gothic Armada. Devs actually managed to make something fun, and stuck true to the lore at the same time. (The campaign and VAs hit it out the park, personally. Something which also carried DOW and DOW2 to a large extent.) Gameplay got stale vs the AI, and balance was seriously wonky, but all in all the game was really made with love for most part.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

For a WH40k example, look no further than Battlefleet Gothic Armada. Devs actually managed to make something fun, and stuck true to the lore at the same time. (The campaign and VAs hit it out the park, personally. Something which also carried DOW and DOW2 to a large extent.) Gameplay got stale vs the AI, and balance was seriously wonky, but all in all the game was really made with love for most part.
The BGA forums were pretty dire for a while too, especially with the content drought after the Tau release. At least the wait paid off (for some) with the announcement of the sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom