Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/15/dawn-of-war-iii-eldar-warhammer-40k-preview/

Hands On: Dawn Of War III

dowheader.jpg

Last month, I visited Relic at their home in Vancouver. As well as spending a few hours with a single, complete mission from the Dawn of War III [official site] campaign, I had the chance to sit in on short presentations from various members of the team, demonstrating how their own contributions and creativity become part of the bigger picture. There was a lot to absorb, including enough environmental variety to excite the extraterrestrial explorer in me (ruined temples on jungle planets? Yes please), but one series of brief videos stood out, despite containing nothing that hinted at previously unseen planets or units.

The best of the videos used simple shapes to tell me everything I needed to know about the game’s races, and how well Relic understand them.

Lead animator Nick Unden showed early test footage that depicted the three lead races – Eldar, Space Marines and Orks – as cuboid gangs, roving across a blank landscape. The Eldar were tall, elongated rectangular blocks of pomposity, rigid and stiff. Marines were bulkier, swivelling as they fell into position, alert and aggressively watching every angle. The Orks were Orks. The spongey green boxes, which swayed from side to side, wobbling and compressing as they bounced along in a ragged formation, couldn’t have been anything but Orks.

Relic describe them as “the football hooligans” of the 40k universe, and the chaotic coordination of their rowdy shambling captures that persona perfectly. They’re a comic take on hooliganism, amusingly nasty and uncouth rather than idiotically violent and destructive, and the game as a whole recognises the silliness of the setting while also reaching for its grim grandeur. This is the 40k of nobility among carnage, gruesome technology and militant theology, but it’s also the 40k that happily shares the same playful and boisterous British blood as 2000AD and even Viz.

16dawnofwar3b.jpg

All of this is important not only in giving character to the game’s three armies, each of which you’ll spend time with during a campaign that flits between them, but also in bridging the gap between the original Dawn of War and its sequel. It’s not that Dawn of War III takes place between the two games in a narrative sense, but in mechanical terms it spans the more traditional base-building RTS style of Relic’s first taste of Warhammer and the more hero-led skirmish-focused setup of Dawn of War II.

The mission that I played, several times, pits the Blood Ravens against an Eldar force. The Eldar are attempting to retrieve a sacred artifact from a planet that is on the brink of some warp-related catastrophe. The Ravens have arrived on a probable suicide mission, hoping to reach the artifact before the Eldar can, no matter what the consequences might be. It’s the kind of mission nobody expects to survive, even if they manage to achieve some kind of victory, and it comes quite late in the campaign. I was expecting a challenge and the relief of a group of Relic employees watching over my shoulder mid-way through my first attempt told me that the game had nearly got the better of me.

Here’s how that happened.

dow1.jpg

After an opening in which Blood Ravens Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos fights his way through some puny Eldar forces single-handed, he’s joined by Lady Solaria, the proud possessor of a devastating Imperial Knight. These are the two hero units that provide the iron fist and shield of your army, with Angelos the more vulnerable of the two, though still capable of turning the tide in the favour of accompanying marines.

A couple of conversational in-engine cutscenes lead to the arrival of a couple of marine squads, and the delivery of both objectives and the necessary resources to begin construction of a base. That doesn’t seem like quite the right word though, ‘base’, because this is more like a staging area. It is, by nature of the fiction, a temporary facility; there’s no intent to fortify the area for more than the hour or two that the planet is likely to survive, and Angelos and Solaria are there to perform a hit and run mission rather than to carry out a successful invasion.

The buildings, which scream down from the skies into position when constructed, are military factories. Whether they’re pumping out squads of marines, which come in several distinct flavours, or producing tanks and other vehicles, they’re purpose is to provide the hardware necessary for the eternal forward push. The targets of that push, in this mission, are semi-constructed Eldar warpgates. These must be destroyed before the smug space-elves can bring in the bulk of their forces and overwhelm the scrappy Space Marines, who are effectively stranded and out of their depth.

Of course, those buildings aren’t materialising in the void. There’s a fleet overhead and they’re capable of sending down reinforcements as well as buildings. Drop pods take a while to prepare and when a unit is loaded into place, a timer (in the form of a bar rather than a numerical display) counts down. A precise or fortunate spot of timing can save your skin should you over-commit and risk losing an army. As in Dawns of War past, drop pods not only provide immediate reinforcements, they also squash any enemies foolish enough to exist at the point where they land. In true Space Marine fashion, they’re weapons as well as transports.

dow3.jpg

Fairly tight unit limits and the delays associated with both drop pods and in-facility production prevent Dawn of War III from becoming a game of ‘who clicks fastest triumphs’. An ability to switch between use of individual active skills during combat and control of reinforcements half-way across the map is certainly useful, but the mission I played rewarded planning rather than perspiration.

There are several paths to take, each presenting certain obstacles, from geographic features that create killzones to areas of cover heavily populated with Eldar. Each route has its own challenges on both a tactical and a strategic level. The gates produce Eldar from time to time, an event signalled by a warning allowing you to prepare, and if you’re not willing to leave troops behind for defensive duties it’s best to position your attacking force intelligently, cutting off potential Eldar routes and taking the fight to them before they can reach your base.

If you lose the base, you lose the mission, you see. It’s easy enough to defend, if you commit even a few units to the task, perhaps even disappointingly so. The Eldar attack in small waves and while it’s possible that they’ll increase their force over time, or that a higher difficulty level would have made them more of a threat right from the outset, I never ran into a marauding group that I couldn’t overcome. Hero units cut through them with ease, and once I’d filled my third slot with a Terminator Assault squad, little could stand in my way.

Except, as mentioned earlier, I almost failed the mission.

dow2.jpg

My mistake was to recognise that I was on the front foot, always pushing toward my final objective, and then assuming that my back foot was secure. A puny Eldar party attacked my base and even though it took them a matter of minutes to burn through the buildings, they were on the verge of destroying my headquarters when I noticed how much damage they’d done and realised I needed to drop some pods on their heads right away. Even the slightest leak can cause a flood if nobody seals it.

There’s plenty of feedback to let you know when your attention is needed, beginning with a very efficient minimap. The only excuse I can offer for my dereliction of duty is that I was enjoying the tactical combat in the thick of the action so much that I didn’t give a crap about anything as lifeless as a base.

When it comes to the actual business of fighting, Dawn of War III finds the sweetest of spots. Every unit is useful, if deployed correctly, and even when the chainswords rumble into action and the heavy bolters send death thudding across the battlefield, there’s enough maneuverability to allow for tactical changes. If a unit is pinned down, you can at least try to move them to cover, or to cause a distraction. Assault squads can use their jump packs to boost into flanking positions, or to disrupt poorly armoured ranged units. Tanks roll ahead while artillery avoid the thick of the fight, picking off the most powerful enemy units.

And through it all the heroes rip and tear their way toward victory.

dow3.jpg

They come in various forms, with the three on show in the preview mission presenting a fairly good spread. Solaria is practically unkillable (they’re all technically unkillable, respawning once a very long cool-down has run its course) but her special abilities require some attention if they’re going to be effective. A missile barrage allows the player to select several targets and is best used either to soften up a tough cookie so that it’ll crumble more easily, or to wipe out an entire defensive front. Her minigun attack – which sees the Imperial Knight adopt the most ludicrously wonderful badass stance as it preps both enormous weapons like a cowboy cocking his revolvers – is much more effective against scattered infantry than against vehicles.

Angelus is trickier. He’s strong, for what is essentially a man, but he’ll end up down and out if you don’t provide some protection when he goes up against overwhelming odds. As befits his character, he’s best used at the head of a couple of Marine squads, leading them and providing support rather than trying to take down the Eldar single-handed. The Assault Terminators, the final available super unit in the build I played, are like ultra-powerful Marine Assault squads, capable of teleporting from place to place, carving up their enemies as they go.

There’s a clever balancing act. The tougher units often require the most attention to get the best out of them, and that filters down to every part of an army. During the final assault, which pits your army against a terrifying, gigantic Wraithknight, every piece of the military machine has to pull its full weight. Without direction, even the biggest block of tanks are likely to fail because the Eldar monstrosity will simply scurry out of range and deal death from afar.

dow5.jpg

That final fight is the realisation of both the army construction that base-building allows and the close tactical attention that the active skills and hero units demand. If it can be replicated through the rest of the campaign, Dawn of War III will be a triumph.

When an orbital laser is raining down destruction, guided by your cursor, and Eldar are evaporating within the beam, this really does feel like the most 40k game ever made. It’s loud, busy and packed with detail, but even as I was playing, I kept thinking back to those colourful cubes marching across the screen.

At its heart, Dawn of War III is that game of cubes screamed through a megaphone. No matter how noisy the battlefield gets, you can quickly read the situation. Those Eldar are burning through your vehicles armour quickly, right? The big, fiery laserbeams that are scorching your tanks are a dead giveaway. And aren’t those the marines that can jump behind the big, fiery laserbeam Eldar and stab them in the back? Yep. The throbbing great jetpacks hanging from their shoulders probably tipped you off.

It’s a game of broad, extravagant gestures, scaling down from that orbital death laser to the idle animations of every individual unit. And as an RTS game, it has the balance between strategic awareness and tactical detail superbly balanced, in this one mission at the very least. While not giving direct control of the units, the special abilities give you the sense of what it would be like to pilot an Imperial Knight. It would be amazing. There’s an almost alarming weight to the physics of the largest machines but even tanks trundle and roll convincingly. Strip away the fancy visuals though and I’d definitely take a minimalist, cuboid version of the game for a spin. Thomas Was In a Grimdark Future-War.

Dawn of War III will be out next year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-15-warhammer-40-000-dawn-of-war-3-the-grimdark-is-coming

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3: "The grimdark is coming"
Hands-on with Relic's PC RTS.

jpg

I've played Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3 for a couple of hours now, and can happily report that it's bloody brilliant.

Dawn of War 3 is a fusion of the first two Dawn of War games. Elements of the base-building and big armies of Dawn of War 1, and elements of the micro-managed heroes of Dawn of War 2, combine to form an immensely satisfying real-time strategy that, based on a couple of playthroughs of a late-campaign mission, feels as weighty and as punchy as any game based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe should, with a zing and responsiveness inspired by the PC's most popular games that emerged in the seven years since Dawn of War 2 came out.

But this concern about the game's new look just won't go away - and with good reason, too.

Let's back up and go through why I think Dawn of War 3 feels great to play. First off, moving Space Marines around and making them blow and carve those space twats the Eldar into bits carries a real impact. Special abilities literally shake the screen. Take Gabriel Angelos, for example. The Blood Ravens commander wields a giant hammer, and doesn't he show it. Everything from his run animation to his cool leap smash attack has been crafted to reinforce the sense that he's carrying around a bloody great heavy hammer that does huge amounts of melee damage. When you pop his smash, the hammer carves cracks into the ground as enemy units are knocked on their backs. Use this special ability to launch Angelos into a squad holed up in one of Dawn of War 3's new cover points for maximum splash damage. Get in.

Then there's the return of base building. Now, it's important to note Dawn of War 3's base building doesn't rewrite the RTS rulebook. It's a relatively simple affair that involves gathering Requisition and Power from Resource Points, plonking down buildings that open up the tech tree in traditional fashion, and expanding your sphere of influence to inch ever closer to the 200 population cap. But despite the simplicity of Dawn of War 3's base building, the mechanic makes a welcome return.

There's something about those downtrodden Servitors that feels perfectly Warhammer 40,000. I loved Dawn of War 2, but I did miss those massive armies made possible by everyone's favourite unsung builder unit. Hey, Servitor, why don't you build me another Doctrine Chapel just because? "This one serves as punishment for [redacted]." Damn straight, you do.

jpg

Big armies and base building are back.

And those big armies, eh? There's a hell of a lot going on on screen in Dawn of War 3 because there's a hell of a lot of soldiers on screen shooting the place up. It's all relative, of course. Dawn of War 3 isn't Supreme Commander. It's not Total War. But, importantly, it's not Dawn of War 2, either.

By that I mean you do feel like you're commanding an army, as opposed to micromanaging a group of incredibly powerful hero units who happen to have taken a few squads and vehicles along for the ride. In Dawn of War 3 you build squads of soldiers and loads of vehicles, such as tanks. Lots and lots of tanks.

So yes, in Dawn of War 3 you can smash up enemy bases with a tank rush. Take that, Dawn of War 2. Or, you can create an army made up of 200 Scout Marines just for the laugh. Or why not a fleet of Land Speeders, which float about the battlefield as if competing in a post-apocalyptic riff on Dancing on Ice? Done and done.

The upshot of Dawn of War 3's bigger armies is there's loads of stuff going on all of the time, which is also great. If it isn't bolter fire that's streaking across the battlefield, it's missiles fired from the towering Imperial Knight Solaria. Her special abilities are just perfect: plant her giant mecha feet into the ground and devastate anything unlucky enough to be caught in the sweeping arc of her twin gatling gun fire, or plant her giant mecha feet into the ground and launch missile after missile into the enemy ranks. There's never a quiet moment in Dawn of War 3, and that's exactly how it should be. There's a lot of warring to be done, after all. This isn't the game for caution. This is the game for painting the battlefield red.

(You can check out a 20 minute supercut of my playthrough of this mission in the video, below.)

You'd expect all this from a Dawn of War game, wouldn't you? None of it comes as much of a surprise, because, well, this is Relic Entertainment and it's Space Marines and Orks and Eldar. Where's the innovation? The hook? The reason to be? Well, it's in the hero units, where Relic's doing something with Dawn of War 3 that reminds me a lot of MOBAs.

There's a big emphasis on hero units, or Elite units, in Dawn of War 3. Gabriel Angelos is one. Imperial Knight Solaria is another. A squad of Assault Terminators is the third I got to play with. To use them on the field you need the corresponding number of Elite Points, which increase as you play. Gabriel Angelos is an ultra cheap Elite, so you can use him from the off. The Assault Terminators are expensive, so the mechanic forces them into late game territory.

And remember, when one of your Elites bites the dust (with Angelos, who packs a punch but has something of a glass jaw, this is bound to happen from time to time) there's a cooldown before you can respawn.

The point is there's a grand strategy to the use of the Elite units in Dawn of War 3 that's unlike anything we've seen in the previous two games.

Here's how it works: as you play the campaign you unlock Elite units. The Dawn of War 3 campaign, unlike the Dawn of War 2 campaign, is linear, and it tells the story from the perspective of each of the three races included at launch: the Space Marines, the Orks and the Eldar. So, you play Space Marines mission one, then mission two you're the Orks, then mission three the Eldar. And so on.

This perspective-shifting campaign lets you take control of a race you've just beaten up in the previous mission, which is a cool hook. But it does mean that the branching campaign of Dawn of War 2, which let you pick your missions, is done away with. As with most design decisions, it was a trade-off.

So, there are more than three Elite units for the Space Marines. I haven't gone hands-on with Librarian Jonah Orion, but he's one. One of the Eldar Elite units is Macha, Farseer of Biel-Tan. Expect plenty more.

You pick your three Elite units to bring on a mission before you start the mission, so you need to be smart about which hero units you pick. There was an element of this kind of mechanic in Dawn of War 2, particularly in the wonderful Last Stand co-op mode, but in Dawn of War 3 there will be many more heroes available to choose from. And unlike Dawn of War 2's hero units, which could loot powerful wargear, customise their loadouts and boost their stats, Dawn of War 3's heroes are fixed characters (Angelos always swings his hammer), who play distinct roles on the battlefield. You can unlock additional passive effects for heroes (Angelos, for example, can heal friendly units when a drop pod is called in), but this is surface level tinkering. Dawn of War 3 feels a lot like Relic dragging Dawn of War kicking and screaming into the popular PC game era, at a time when most reckon the RTS is on its way out.

jpg

The Space Marine's deadly orbital strike seems a tad overpowered to me. But we haven't seen the equivalent ability for the Eldar or the Orks yet.

I haven't touched multiplayer yet, and Relic is saving its discussion of that portion of the game for some future PR beat, but it's safe to say that hero picking is central to Dawn of War 3.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't pay attention to MOBAs or Overwatch or Team Fortress," Relic game designer Philippe Boulle says.

"But I can honestly say the idea of doing that type of hero-swapping with your army came from the tabletop. That's a key element of the tabletop. Your entire army is built with swappable units, each with point values. There are rules for how you can do it, but there's a whole category called elites. HQ units are big hero units you choose to bring in.

"That's where the original inspiration came from."

Clearly, I enjoy playing Dawn of War 3. But do I enjoy looking at it? Here, things start to get a little murky. Or cartoony, as critics of the series' new art style would say.

I've watched with interest the fascinating debate sparked by Dawn of War 3's gameplay reveal. Our video, below, showcasing Dawn of War 3 gameplay for the first time has nearly as many dislikes as it has likes. Almost all the complaints revolve around the graphics. It's too light and bright, they say. It's not Warhammer 40,000.

In a previous interview Boulle explained Dawn of War 3's new art style, so I won't retread old ground here. But I find fascinating Relic's reaction to the reaction. I wonder whether they saw it coming, whether they understand the debate.

"Looking back at it, I will say that the map we focused on in the early release is the starkest, whitest, bluest map we've done," he says. Boulle's talking about the icy environment in which the mission I play takes place. What he's saying is the map is to Warhammer 40,000 what Toontown was to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Other environments are... different. One I saw in tech demo-form only had a dark and dangerous feel, a battlefield blackened by, you imagine, the Balrog monster from Lord of the Rings. There's a lava red coursing through the veins of this map, a Dragon's Maw jutting out of every crag. Would the debate have been different if Relic had used this map to unveil Dawn of War 3? Probably.

"The contrast is the sharpest there," Boulle says of the ice map. "Some of the other environments, there's definitely more grimdark there. I don't think people should worry. They're definitely going to get their grimdark.

"It's going to come down to people getting their hands on it. As we get into other environments, the grimdark is going to come."

And yet you can't get away from the sense that Dawn of War 3 is a brighter affair. Yes, the high contrast art style is by design, but it followed a stunning reveal trailer that went about as grimdark as Warhammer 40,000 possibly could. The scene had been set by CGI. Then, the reality of in-game graphics comes as a surprise.

The tradeoffs are understandable and obvious. Decreased detail helps make Dawn of War 3 a more scaleable game. More cartooney graphics, as the critics would say, make for clearer visuals.

"Don't get me wrong, I love me a high fidelity Space Marine," Boulle says, "but we're a game about seeing a whole bunch of these things moving around, not about coming in and looking at the detail on the purity seal on the left ear of your Space Marine."

This "bigger picture over finer details" philosophy perhaps extends to the gameplay, too. Dawn of War 3 lets you build and control a big army, but getting the most out of it is a more streamlined affair than it was in Dawn of War 1.

Your squads are listed in icon form along the bottom of the screen, so you can quickly jump to each. And while squad upgrades return, managing individual soldiers within a squad is restricted. In Dawn of War 1, remember, you could give one Space Marine in a squad a Flamer, for example, and another a Missile Launcher. In Dawn of War 3, you build a Scout Sniper squad separately from a basic Scout squad, and a Devastator Marine squad with lascannons separate from a Devastator Marine squad with heavy bolters. It looks like only the flexible Tactical Marine squad that can upgrade its weaponry, on the Space Marine side of things, anyway.

There's only so much you can tell about a game from playing a single mission, even if you've played it twice. But I feel confident that Dawn of War 3 is on the right track and feels right, even if it looks very different. I'm looking forward to seeing new environments, new vibes and new Elite units. And, in particular, I'm looking forward to seeing Dawn of War 3's Orks, or, as Relic calls them, Warhammer 40,000's intergalactic football hooligans.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-hands-on-evaluating-the-emperors-finest-one-unit-at-a-time/

Dawn of War 3 hands-on: Evaluating the Emperor's finest, one unit at a time

A few weeks ago I sat down with a finished story mission from Dawn of War 3. The mission united the Space Marine captain Gabriel Angelos with the Imperial Knight, Solaria in a mission to push the Eldar back, form a base, and then shut down the huge portal the Eldar are using to bring their armies onto the planet's surface.

Once the base was up the whole map was available, and I was free to capture resource points and take out the Eldar gates in the order of my choosing. The map was made up of a series of open areas, gated by cliff faces and Eldar shield walls. The Eldar used webgates to launch regular raids on my base from three directions, and ambush forces laid a neat trap around a westerly resource point, hiding out of view on the surrounding cliffs. The mission culminated in a fight with a huge Eldar force, led by their newly revealed super-unit, the huge wraithknight.

I ran the mission several times, and managed to get a feel for how the Space Marines operate in Dawn of War 3. Army building is a vital component, and I was impressed with the variety of forces you can build, even within this single faction. I tried a traditional combined arms mix of infantry, robots and tanks, but had even more fun attempting quirky builds (all Dreadnoughts all the time, servitors as scouts) to discover the Space Marine army I enjoyed using the most. It involved a lot of heavy weapon devastator squads and judicious use of the giant orbital laser ability. By the end of the hands-on session, thousands of Eldar were dead. It was a good day.

If you're looking for an overview of how the single player is structured, how elite and line units work, how elite hero units differ from line units (they're redeployable on a cooldown timer, rather than built at base), what Relic's design aims are and more general info, check out our initial preview feature. Here I'll get stuck into the Space Marine army itself to take a look at how individual units function. The game isn't out until next year, so roles and abilities are subject to change. It should hopefully give you a sense of how the army works and how Dawn of War 3 plays.

Tactical marines
The Space Marines are the Emperor's finest, but some are less fine than others. That's not to say that tactical marines are poor. They're just, well, fine. They are resilient for line troops, but didn't seem to do meaningful damage until I gave them plasma weapons. They can also take flamers, which look amazing, but have a short range that makes them difficult to deploy against the quick Eldar.

Tactical Marines are mainly good for sitting on a capture point while your serious units dent the enemy. Against the Eldar I found that I only needed one or two squads. Resources were otherwise better spent on heavy weapon teams.

It is fun to use tac marines as bait sometimes, however, if you can find a way to taunt an enemy into charging when you have a bunch of heavy weapons squads overseeing the area.

Upgrading a squad's weapon loadout gives all squad members a new weapon. In the fiction only one or two members of a tactical marine squad get the good toys. Here the upgrade choice is intended to fully specialise them. Relic wants every unit on the field to have a clear role.

Good for: Sitting on points, burning chokepoints, slowly whittling down enemy infantry. Plus it's nice to have some Space Marines running around, isn't it?

Bad for: Getting anything done without backup.

Heavy weapons crews
These guys are awesome. The devastator's heavy bolter is a huge belt-fed machinegun that you'd normally find bolted onto the back of a truck. Select Space Marines who have taken their vitamins wield these in underslung posture. They are intended as an anti-infantry squad, but multiple units focusing their fire can trouble larger units such as wraithguard.

As with heavy weapons units in Relic games, heavy weapons crews need some setup time. These guys need only seconds to settle and start firing—seemingly quite a lot shorter than previous heavy weapon crews in DoW 2 and Company of Heroes. When I had two or three of them sat behind some tac marines, the Eldar struggled to get close, especially when the devastators focused fire on individual units. You can put lots of them in heavy cover points, which is a disaster for the enemy if they have no close combat units to hand.

There's also a lascannon variant that kits out a unit with anti-vehicle lasers. Sustained fire increases the power of their beams, and I found that I didn't need many to counter the occasional appearance of one of the Eldar's skimmers.

Good for: Most things. As long as there's some fodder in front of them they even seemed decent used aggressively.

Bad for: Close combat of any kind. Also, running onto a point to cap it, unless it's heavy cover—in that case the risky dash might be worth it, but honestly probably isn't. keep them in the shade at the back. they like it there.

Assault marines
Assault marines wear jetpacks that let them strike from above, scattering enemies and butchering anyone in the same cover as them. Their strike ability feels amazing to use, especially when you're sending them into cover, or into a line of weak shooters, of which the Eldar field many. They are designed primarily to boss enemies out of cover, but in a pinch I've sacrificed them to disrupt the Eldar back line and stop heavy weapons focusing down my imperial knight. Their ability to hop up cliffs gives them good flanking opportunities that other Space Marines lack, but they are quite fragile, and seem to need support from heavy melee (assault terminators and/or Gabriel Angelos) if you want them to make a serious incursive strike.

Good for: Clearing out cover. Looking awesome while clearing out cover. You can kinda scout with them if you keep their jump ability in reserve and use it to escape when they get into trouble.

Bad for: Taking on the enemy solo. They struggled to take capture points without support. I found that it's a good idea to jump them right out of combat if things aren't immediately going their way, they're more fragile than they look.

Dreadnoughts
Fiction-wise, my favourite unit. The dreadnought houses the mind/spirit of a heroic Space Marine severely wounded in battle. They are endearingly boxy tools of vengeance who waddle comically into enemies and then horribly dismember them.

They have a charge move in Dawn of War 3 in which they get really pumped up and excitedly penguin-dash toward the enemy line. For this I love them, even if they're quite easily killed. They mostly melted in big battles, but in time I think I could find a use for them supporting individual tac marines in resource point grabs, or as base guards to stop melee enemies from taking out defensive turrets and heavy weapon defenders.

Good for: Looking awesome, sounding awesome, occasionally making enemies explode in a cloud of blood. Their knockback stomp ability also syncs with Gabe's hammer special to keep enemies off their feet.

Bad for: Vanguard duty. Also most other things at the moment.

Whirlwind tank
This is our first look at tanks in Dawn of War 3. The whirlwind is a long-range artillery piece that lets you target the ground to launch fierce bombardments. It's effective, but not as obscene as the Imperial Knight's insanely good bombardment attack, and the extra micro requirement deterred me from building too many of them.

A better player would do very well with them, however, particularly because their bombardment can hop over walls and cliffs to soften up hard-to-reach enemies. Tanks in Dawn of War 3 are weak to attack from the rear; their tooltips make a point of it. The Eldar flying heavy weapon squads serve as an obvious counter.

Good for: Ambushing ambushers hiding on cliffs. Wrecking the enemy's back line where all their heavy weapon guys tend to hide.

Bad for: It doesn't do much else, but what it does, it does well.

Assault terminators
These are an elite unit that you can upgrade throughout the campaign, and they are hard as nails. Their teleport ability is slow to recharge, but amazing. If there is a problem unit on the battlefield, they will kill it outright, or keep it occupied for a considerable time. I found that pairing them with Gabriel Angelos was a very good idea. In combination with the dreadnought's stomp, Angelos' hammer attacks and the Terminators' abilities, you can effectively juggle enemy squads with knockback. This could be huge in multiplayer, and is quite fun in singleplayer. I can't wait to do it to some large Ork units.

Good for: Mashing up enemies in cover, mashing up enemies out of cover.

Bad for: Standing nakedly in front of enemy heavy weapons fire doing nothing. As long as you don't do this, they're probably fine.

Heavy bolter drop pod
As a Space Marine player you have three drop pods that you can load up with units. You can bring these drop pods down onto the enemy, crushing them and giving you instant deployment to a battleline.

Alternatively, you can build a drop pod that carries four huge automated turrets that unfold on impact and start blasting everything within range. Multiples of these can mince up the poorly armoured Eldar infantry, including dangerous melee units such as banshees.

Eldar players are going to despise these things. They cost a fair chunk of resource and they fall apart after a minute or so, but in the right situation these could be better than dropping troops, and there's very little the enemy can do about them.

Good for: Annihilating infantry blobs.

Bad for: Taking on armoured enemies.

Imperial knight
This huge mini-titan is another hero unit, like Gabriel Angelos and the assault terminators. She's amazing. She has a huge health pool and her ranged attacks are good at killing pretty much everything. She can even swat down a melee unit if they're crowding around her feet, by punching them with her twin gatling cannons. This is not recommended as her primary mode of attack however.

Her best move is her bombardment ability that lets you target six missiles. Put all six of them on heavy cover or a big enemy unit and that's pretty much the end of that. Spread the missiles out and you can devastate an infantry line. If Solaria overheats, the missiles leave puddles of molten slag behind to deal damage over-time. The bombardment ability is a game-winner, and it feels amazing to use.

Good for: Range.Swiftly purging everything that isn't a space marine, in the name of the emperor.

Bad for: Dealing with multiple units in close combat. She will eventually go down to concentrated anti-vehicle fire, and she's too huge to hide behind stuff.

Gabriel Angelos
The leader of the Space Marines in Dawn of War 3, the returning series hero is a veteran, and has the combat chops to match his experience. He's spry for an ageing fellow. Anyone who can somersault in terminator armour with a huge double handed hammer is worthy of leading a Space Marine force. This is is primary closing move that can help him get into a line without getting shot, and he will get shot a lot. The Eldar seem to understand that he's the boss, and will mercilessly pour shuriken fire into him if you let him lope slowly toward the enemy.

Fortunately Gabe's other special move reflects projectiles, which gives heavy wraithguard troops something to think about. Against a small force I found I could let Angelos go about his business, dismantling Eldar line troops for fun. In bigger fights, his relative toughness is very useful as long as he has some bodies around him. Paired with assault terminators, he can barge into a flank and deal damage the enemy can't ignore.

Good for: Hammering everything but a huge super unit. Even then he'll give it a go.

Bad for: Charging into the line alone, even though he totally would without a second thought.

Giant space laser
It's not technically a unit, but it feels like one. Every 300 seconds or so you get to call down a blast from an orbiting imperial vessel. You right-click to move it around the battlefield. Enemies it touches will become trapped in its gravitational pull and eventually dissolve in the heat.

The space laser deletes armies. It's as simple as that. It's a great big eraser with 'NOPE' written on it that you move with slow but horrifying certainty around the battlefield. As it claims more souls, it gets fatter, slower and more powerful. That means that small units have a narrow chance of escaping, but large slow units are, as the God-Emperor might put it, "thoroughly f***ing smited".

Good for: Winning.

Bad for: Toasting marshmallows without overdoing it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The landscape in the video looks like they took the Blizzard cartoonish route.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Imperial knight
This huge mini-titan is another hero unit, like Gabriel Angelos and the assault terminators. She's amazing. She has a huge health pool and her ranged attacks are good at killing pretty much everything. She can even swat down a melee unit if they're crowding around her feet, by punching them with her twin gatling cannons. This is not recommended as her primary mode of attack however.
?????????
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Suicidal

Arcane
I think it looks fun and I'm looking forward to it. The gameplay vids show that a lot of the things I disliked about DoW 1 are gone. But I'm concerned about the amount of content it will have. I know I can't really bitch about it yet, but 3 races sounds shitty compared to DoW's 9. With the expansions of course, but even the base game had 4.

I used to be pretty 'meh' about the DoW games back when they were released, but now that RTS games are pretty much extinct and my friends and I already played all the 'craft and CnC games to death, we're now playing DoW1 and having a good time with it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Here is the twitch stream from today if anyone is interested. It is essentially the same introductory mission. The only difference is the dev answers some questions, such as the Land Raider eventually being made an elite unit choice.

The key thing I heard around the 48 minute mark is that they do aim to have modding tools. Hopefully, the mods will be as plentiful as DoW1.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think this looked cool although I am more interested in how MP and skirmish works.

DramaticPopcorn

Meh, looks like reskinned star craft 2, will still probably d1p though

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want to like it, but I just can't get past how off everything looks. Level of detail and similarities to Starcraft 2 aside, even in terminator armour the commander is way too big compared to regular power armour marines, he looks like a Warcraft 3 hero. The animations are too fast and jerky and have too much unnecessary movement, I've never seen a 40k game that got it this wrong. There are way too many flashing effects, explosions I can live with but there are also those elaborate weapon cut arcs and "ground stomp" visual effects everywhere, it looks LESS clear than DoW1.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Combat would look less chaotic if they didn't add so many particle effects to everything, the giant hero unit doing backflips with every attack is not helping either. Also we've had these little sidebar icons since DoW1 but now it's suddenly a problem to find the commander unit? Bullshit.

K5TmK8f.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
those icons still exist in DoW3, but it is slower than clicking on it on the battlefield. Also it is not just about finding him, it is about being able to see clearly what he is doing.

Neanderthal

Arcane
even in terminator armour the commander is way too big compared to regular power armour marines,

Don't think thats Termie armour exactly, think he's been rebuilt a bit like Marneus Calgar, there weren't much left on him at end o Retribution. Agree wi you though, gone a bit too much down Blizzard path, hope to god they don't design Guard same way.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Also it is not just about finding him, it is about being able to see clearly what he is doing.
Was that even a problem before they invented a fix to it though? If you want to know what he's doing pay attention to what you're doing, attach him to a squad and have the squad bound to a key shortcut. And making a unit bigger and do crazy jumps is a really stupid way of doing what could be achieved by having an icon float over the unit's head or a circle around it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also it is not just about finding him, it is about being able to see clearly what he is doing.
Was that even a problem before they invented a fix to it though? If you want to know what he's doing pay attention to what you're doing, attach him to a squad and have the squad bound to a key shortcut. And making a unit bigger and do crazy jumps is a really stupid way of doing what could be achieved by having an icon float over the unit's head or a circle around it.
Since this game is inspired by Sc2 I would guess what you said is not enough. My guess is they might plan to have some tournaments and such. Also since heroes are half the focus in this game compared to DoW1 where they were not, they were made bigger so they are shown as being important.
Also this character looks very similar to other space marines, if he was same size people would have problems noticing him. When you got assault marines flying into combat you might not notice that small guy also doing blackflips to do melee attacks.

WC3 has heroes but they were very different looking than other units and battles were done with smaller armies.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It always bugged me that casual skirmish in all DoWs produced gazillions of space marines dead, when losing even a hundred was a huge losses fluffwise. Only dow2 tried to mitigate this rts crap to some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom