Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

minions.gif

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, watch Polygon instead of someone that's actually good at rts games.:retarded:
While I dislike Polygon, I cannot find any others without the obnoxious shit on the screen for Jaedar. Besides, if that Doom4 video was funny, this should be good entertainment.

Edit: Macha's voice actor may be up there Boreal. WHERE IS ANGEL-ASS?!?
Edit 2: The player in the Polgon video actually plays better than InControl. He actually uses Dark Reapers, which take down infantry better than Specters (what a surprise!). He also utilizes the banchsee hero better.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, watch Polygon instead of someone that's actually good at rts games.:retarded:
While I dislike Polygon, I cannot find any others without the obnoxious shit on the screen for Jaedar. Besides, if that Doom4 video was funny, this should be good entertainment.

Edit: Macha's voice actor may be up there Boreal. WHERE IS ANGEL-ASS?!?
Edit 2: The player in the Polgon video actually plays better than InControl. He actually uses Dark Reapers, which take down infantry better than Specters (what a surprise!). He also utilizes the banchsee hero better.
InControl was a pro sc1 player and he was a pro sc2 player for a short time. He is a pro sc2 commentator atm. Even with clutter on screen his insight and skill far surpases any game reported in existance.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
InControl was a pro sc1 player and he was a pro sc2 player for a short time. He is a pro sc2 commentator atm. Even with clutter on screen his insight and skill far surpases any game reported in existance.

Honestly, I think InControl was too focused on talking (unless it was a replay) or this was his first time playing. There was a pretty big difference between the videos, if only because the Polygon player actually used Dark Reapers and had more practice with the Banshee hero's abilities (he aimed it better). In contrast, InControl only used Guardians and Specters against infantry, which led to comments like the one below:

So shit interface, gameplay is slow and there's a hp bloat.

:shittydog:

Well duh, if you use anti-tank units against infantry. Granted, I think InControl had an easier time beating the final base, if only because he kept massing Specters.

One thing I wish InControl weighed on was whether the Eldar fit the developer comment/designs. If I remember correctly, Eldar are meant to be king of hit and run, but does that actually play out? I think the Space Marine call-down ability could be superior in some cases (drop pods at flank, or drop pods for the knockdown and run, drop pods to interrupt enemy hero)

Last edited:
Specialized units/armor types aside it's just a bunch of meatstacks pew pewing at each other for a while with 0 micro required. I checked other videos (pcgamer) as well, not much has changed. The only micro involves super units/heroes where you just choose how to rape some poor squad in a cinematic way.

Slow ass gamespeed isn't helping it either, that moment when goliath thing charged for the first time looked like it was walking through water, reminded me of that scene

Might as well make it turn based, I could actually see some potential in that.

Let's be real for a moment here, DoW games (and warhammer games on PC in general) have no merit as strategy games and are somewhat popular only due to the setting. Every single offering so far was serviceable at best (first DoW), this shit right here doesn't look any better.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I just don't agree that the combat is too slow. My reasoning is that:
  • The Banshee hero killed several squads with a single ability on the Polygon video (the squads were bunched up). InControl missed the double strike on the Banshee hero ability most of the time, and it was still enough to take over half of an infantry squad's HP.
  • A stack of three to four Dark Reapers was enough to cut through the infantry. Yet, we only saw around 60-70 population used, whereas the max population cap was 250 (I think I saw 250). What is a squad of 8 Dark Reapers going to look like?
  • None of the videos showed heavy hitting units, such as the Fire Prisms, Wrathknights (the smaller ones with Blades), Titan units, or the Eldar equivalent to Orbital Bombardment.
It may not have shown a high skill ceiling, but I do not think that reflects slow combat. We have dozens of ranged units with both long range and damage bonuses. Sniping several squads in sequence should not take long, especially when you have elite units.

Now, if we are talking about the economy/resource system, I can agree that it looks slow. I read the population meter as 250, and I do not think anyone fielded anything above 60 population. I did not watch too closely, were the players resource starved or just not watching maco?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Honestly, I think InControl was too focused on talking (unless it was a replay) or this was his first time playing. There was a pretty big difference between the videos, if only because the Polygon player actually used Dark Reapers and had more practice with the Banshee hero's abilities (he aimed it better). In contrast, InControl only used Guardians and Specters against infantry, which led to comments like the one below:
He was talking over a video of himself playing. He mentions multiple times how he fucked up here and what he could and should have done better. It could have been talking over a replay as well but video starts with mission already running so we don't know. He admits he is still learning the game but he gives a lot of hints that the game is much faster and crazier when played seriously and in MP.

Personally I want something slower than SC2, but not too slow.

Suicidal

Arcane
This actually looks faster than DoW 1 where several squads of infantry could sometimes just stand there shooting at eachother for a few minutes (due to the hp/damage ratios of everything and the ability to reinforce mid-combat)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Personally I want something slower than SC2, but not too slow.
Same here. While I enjoyed SC2 immensely, sometimes the pace felt frantic (granted, I am getting older, so crap reflexes), especially the macro side of things.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't watch preview videos to see someone good at the game play. I watch to be informed of whether the game might be good. A video with the developer talking/playing is infinitely more valuable than some pro streamer, especially this far from release. When they have a "close to final balance" build available, sure watching pros play is some indication but this is not that.

Also, in this particular video, I think it is the developer that actually was the pilot.

My impressions were fairly positive. I didn't like the free respawn of hero units, or their massive instagib abilities. Was quite happy to see guardian plasma nades return to a reasonable form. Inability to reinforce in the field might be good, might be bad. I'm not sure yet.

Definitely not a fan of the new covers. The campaign being round robin is also sad, likely means huge amounts will be tutorial-level difficulty.

Also those fucking new flying eldar shits. Between them and the massive wraith-X spam, I may have to find a new favorite race...
Now, if we are talking about the economy/resource system, I can agree that it looks slow. I read the population meter as 250, and I do not think anyone fielded anything above 60 population. I did not watch too closely, were the players resource starved or just not watching maco?
If resources work roughly as in previous games, 4 resource points counts as fairly starved.

This actually looks faster than DoW 1 where several squads of infantry could sometimes just stand there shooting at eachother for a few minutes (due to the hp/damage ratios of everything and the ability to reinforce mid-combat)
that's why you used flamers.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
what time in the video are there flying Eldar units ?
Watch the InControl video (should be posted on the other page). He uses the flying Specter units throughout the game, but I think it starts around the 10 minute mark, where he pushes out.

Aothan

Magister
a lot of the Ork units appear to be moving much faster than what has been shown from other army units

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hard to say how this will be in game, but from the video, it really looks too flashy and chaotic. There is almost no pixel without some fancy effect going on.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
At this point, I just want the developers to release a beta or demo. While the developers went out of their way to show that elite units were not invincible, I still think the damage is too high on the elite units. We already have high damage with the anti armor and anti-infantry specialized units, why doe the game need even more damage? What bothers me as well is that the developers seem to focus too much on damage and not utility on elite units. For that reason, I think Jonah Orion conceptually is the best so far. He can trap units/heroes or possibly block ramps with his force-field. In contrast, with the Titan units especially, it seems like you mainly aim and forget.

What also concerns me is that each races seems to have 1:1 equivalents, which is fine, but I hope they differ beyond just costs/stats. To bring up WC3 (sorry), each race had somewhat equivalent units, but they varied. For example, compare the basic units (grunt, footman, ghoul, archer) or spell casters (Druid of the Talon, Shaman, Priests, Necromancers) throughout the course of a game. Currently, each race has a ranged anti-armor, a basic shooter, an assault unit, and a beat stick (Dreadnaught, Wraithknight, etc).

Just found this:

Vehicle wreckage, as well as the scrap left behind from destroyed Super Units, can be salvaged to upgrade squads. We'll dive a little deeper into the upgrades and other cool things you can do with scrap in the new year, but rest assured: when there's Orks, there's lootin' to be done.

Also, here is a Gorgutz spotlight from Rockpapershotgun:
1g0z1m.gif

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/15/dawn-of-war-3-gorgutz-ork/

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Goes into the story a little. Macha got demoted. Also, based on the sheer amount of still shots (not sure what to call them), I wonder if instead of "traditional cutscenes," we will get the still shots with the main characters narrating.

A horse of course

Switching to static cutscenes is usually a sign of a reduced budget. Why not just do them in-game?

Suicidal

Arcane
Even if the game turns out to be good, going from 9 (12 with mods) factions of DoW1 to 3 in DoW3 will be a massive bummer. Hope they have some expansions planned or something.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Switching to static cutscenes is usually a sign of a reduced budget. Why not just do them in-game?
I think it is intentional, rather than a budget issue. Those static cutscenes don't look cheap compared to in-game cutscenes that don't involve much scripting. Instead, I think the developers are going for a comic book, 300 style. By "300 style," I remember the movie having near-static scenes with a lot of dialogue and dramatic music. Off the top of my head, the closest game example I can think of is Twisted Metal:Black (link below)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom