Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Day of the Tentacle Remastered

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:nocountryforshitposters:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If they change even one bit of the story, gameplay or art style, I'm gonna send Lithuanian Hitmen on their fat asses.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wasn't the studio who made the MI remakes terminated with a "80% complete / just four more bugs" version of Day of the Tentacle in the works ?

Divinity: Original Sin
Purple_Tentacle_by_bschulze.jpg

This above is already remastered.

The next is in full pixelataed glory:

dott1617.jpg

TheGreatOne

Arcane
This fucking guy.
Tim_Freaking_Schafer.jpg

Will it ever stop? Some one please photoshop a "Has Tim Schafer gone too far?" pic
Think of it this way, the NEW AND BETTER VERSIONY will have MORE PIXELS, hence it will be MORE PIXALALIATEDED.
That would be a quite funny twist on the modern trend of imitating pixel art poorly. Remaking an old game with a graphical downgrade.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You forgot mess with Heroes of Might & Magic III remastering where they used more pixelated units than original?

AngryKobold

Arcane
Same as MI1 and MI2. Graphics and music changed to new versions. Both so good it's can't be worse. Character design changed to handicapped moomin style, apparently that's the only thing the hacks are now able to draw. Added commentary full of mammalian yapping I couldn't stand even being drunk.

There's only one good thing about their special editions. The possibility to switch to "old version" and keep it like that.

Can't wait to see how it's possible to screw up character design that already WAS in unshapely cartoon style. They will do it. There's no evidence they won't.

I see no purpose in remake for any game with VGA graphics. At this point it's complete. Any further improvements require to change the visual assets completely. Uniqueness of pixel graphics makes such change a replacement, not "upgrade" of any kind.
And the replacement is flash cartoon drawn by fag watching pony! Great job morons, can't wait for the sun flare to wipe out this crap.

What REALLY COULD use a remake: Maniac Mansion, Zack McCracken, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

But nooooo! Who would waste time on remaking old games nobody heard about. Some clueless moron with no head for business. Everyone knows MI, after all LucasArts released something called like that not so long ago. DOTT is also widely known, as everyone owns a pirated copy...

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I wish it was a sequel. I don't dislike 'Special Editions (or Remastering...whatever its called)'...I just think that so much effort goes into them that you may as well do a new game.

To be honest, a DOTT game with the Broken Age engine would be pretty cool. The engine does the 'exaggerated cartoon animation' thing pretty well. It wouldn't take a lot to update the interface to include verbs, and the engine obviously supports multiple playable characters and inventories.

That said, Ill buy it. I love AG's, and I LOVE DOTT. It just feels like a wasted opportunity.

Side note - Feng Zhu did a pretty cool take on a DOTT remake:

http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/2012/10/dott-remake.html

fzd_DOTT_01_Ref.JPG

fzd_DOTT_01b.JPG

AngryKobold

Arcane

Good you wrote what game it's supposed to be. Would swear it's a crude concept art for some Dark Seed. DOTT location put somewhere as an easter egg. The note at windshield informs about time travel to prevent the appearance of Great Old Ones. The original look of tentacles is certainly replaced with Giger's artwork.

And I love that style! Thousands of useless details, so it's even harder to distinguish active objects from background. Dim colors. Image looking as if the author put extra energy to make brush strokes evident. It's so bad I'd be amazed if he's not making assets for any indie production.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
To be fair Feng is a speed painter and it was an exercise done in his style (much like my isometric interpretations of games). :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-23-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-debuts-screenshots

Day of the Tentacle Remastered debuts in-game screenshots

Double Fine has revealed the first in-game screenshots of Day of the Tentacle Remastered.

186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100

This will be the second time Double Fine has restored an old classic adventure from the studio's founder, Tim Schafer, back when he was still at Lucasarts. Earlier this year Double Fine offered the same treatment to Schafer's Mexican noir classic Grim Fandango.

Day of the Tentacle originally launched in 1993 as the sequel to Maniac Mansion. It starred three awkward teenagers who traveled through time around a mad scientist's mansion and players could toggle between the past, present and future timelines at will. What you'd do with one character in the past would have on effect on future timelines.

This restoration will feature all new hand-drawn, high-res artwork along with remastered audio, music and sound effects.

There will also be a commentary track by the game's original creators: Tim Schafer, Dave Grossman, Larry Ahern, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell and Clint Bajakian.

As was the case with the Special Editions of Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle Remastered will allow you to toggle between the new and old artwork at the touch of a button. It will also feature an optional new UI should you want to play with a verb dial rather than a grid of commands at the bottom of the screen.

Just like the original Day of the Tentacle, this restoration will contain the entirety of Maniac Mansion as an in-game bonus.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered is due in "early 2016" on PS4, Vita, PC and Mac. The PlayStation versions will offer Cross-Buy support.

1381x777

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Actually it looks pretty respectful towards the source. The casual nostalgia-gamer will look at this and notice nothing different whatsoever. That could hurt sales. I'm glad they are including a commentary track. That was a lot of fun in the grim fandango remaster.

I don't have too much of a problem with it.. I wont lie, I was expecting a bit more.. but it looks like a loyal recreation. It could be a lot worse. I'll buy it. Wish they would have announced a fucking release date.

I am glad they included Maniac Mansion as well, like the original game. I was a little worried they would leave it out due to some kind of licensing bullshit. What would really be cool is if they took the trouble to remaster that as well. But I doubt they did that since Tim Schafer is a fat nazi-jew sjw fag.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

That's actually not bad. But it's still a pointless exercise in 'enhancing' something that doesn't need any enhancing, and which has it's own pixellated charm. Why waste time doing that instead of doing something new and original? What? Because that takes original thinking and creativity, whereas a remake is just a mechanical exercise, like turning a handle and seeing money flow in. Oh, well...

Astral Rag

Arcane
I do think this "remaster" looks pretty bad. It's almost like they turned up all ScummVM Scalers to eleven and called it a day. It's not exactly difficult to play the original game comfortably on a modern OS either, just switch on ScummVM's 3X Scaler and Aspect Correction and you're good to go.
CwD52tk.png
d0CE6KR.png
I also wonder what they're doing to the UI.

I don't understand this game's target audience, I mean faux retro games are very popular but at the same time these people cannot into playing actual 90s point-and-click adventures unless they're first re-released with more generic-looking HD graphix, controller support in-game hints and achievements :?

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
They don't have to play it. Buying it and sharing that event on Twitter with their hip friends is enough, for Double Fine and for themselves as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom