Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Day of the Tentacle Remastered

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Doesn't look so bad I guess. They could've gone full MI remaster....

Then again, the real point of these re-editions, is so those of us who pirated it back in a day, can actually buy it. I have zero intentions of actually playing it.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
So... Am I a heretic for wanting smoother animations, better voices and backgrounds that don't look like something made in Flash by a retard?

Of course not (well, the backgrounds bit might get the odd thrown stone, so maybe a little) - but they don't have to 'enhance' an already existing game to get them. They could make a new game. Graphics don't degrade over time like paper - they were designed in a certain style to fit a resolution and colour depth. IMHO making them higher resolution throws this balance out of whack.

Do you know what I wish? That Bible - it could really have done with some better illustrations and more murders. They should properly update that for the latest technology - can you imagine what how much influence Jesus could have had with better quality clothes and a decent haircut? He could properly have kicked Satan's arse.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
They could make a new game

MojPvp1DOYLIC9SXgY7EhFFuHqxvxhMqgaDxYQuR9VD2J1yuAaTZ-iqir8q8fKxvhg=h900

:troll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wouldn't surprise me if Tim crammed tank controls into it somehow.

As far as remakes go, it looks and sounds solid.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And fucking whiners could finally see that you can change back to the original pixelated graphics if you desire. And that the audio is untouched, they used the original uncompressed assets. And the verb Interface remained even in the console version. Did I touch every aspect of the hate against this game or did I miss something?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
While Ron Gilbert once acted in their supervisor, Schafer and Grossman now found themselves taking on his singular role. But this shared position didn't lead to a battle of egos—in fact, the credits of Day of the Tentacle are programmed to randomly list either Schafer or Grossman's name first—leaving the matter of "top billing" to a random number generator.

Huh.

I love changing the flag, and I loved changing the Constitution, and there's something about those where, again, not so much the puzzle as the very adventure game-y thing of mucking up something large in order to achieve some small personal goal. Adventure games seem to have a lot of that. You're always stealing things from people and ruining their lives, and you get the cook fired and you do this and you do that, and, "No, I just wanted this little trinket that he had, and ruining his life was the only way to get it."

This is true. Goodbye Deponia goes into this detail in earnest, with Bozo's nervous breakdown and then subsequent rant at Rufus...who just ignores it and shrugs it off with a goofy smile.

18607.jpg

[Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition is] the original engine opened up and new things added. A lot of the work went into the new interface... a streamlined, modern one that looks a little bit more like Broken Age, with a verb dial, like you might expect from some of the later Lucas games, mixed in with the interface, the inventory screen from Broken Age. But, you can also switch it back to be exactly like the old one. And these guys went the extra mile to do all combinations of those, so you can actually take the new art, but still have the old interface, so you can have the verbs at the bottom of the screen and the point and click, with the new art. And then, the crazy one is, you can do the old art with the new interface, so there's an 8-bit version of the verb dial. So, the new streamlined interface, but with the pixel art. So, you can configure that any way you want.

:)

So unless something spectacularly stupid happens on release, this looks to be one of the most solid releases of the year.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It's kinda hard to screw up Day of the Tentacle, but this IS Double Fine after all, so waiting until it's actually released is the right thing to do.

Cadmus

Arcane
I've been wanting to play this game for a while now but didn't want to fuck around with what I suspected was some bullshit dosbox or other stuff to get it running. J_C seems to think nothing was lost in the remaster, am I good to go?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been wanting to play this game for a while now but didn't want to fuck around with what I suspected was some bullshit dosbox or other stuff to get it running. J_C seems to think nothing was lost in the remaster, am I good to go?
And if J_C says it, it must be true. :P

Seriously, everybody says that you can play the game with the old graphics, with the old interface if you want to.

Astral Rag

Arcane

1. Install http://scummvm.org/

2. "Add Game..."

3. "Start"

It's not rocket science

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Seems they upscaled/filtered everything except that checklist on the wall.

Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

1. Install http://scummvm.org/

2. "Add Game..."

3. "Start"

It's not rocket science
Where can you buy the original Day of the Tentacle?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
If I will buy the game anyway, why would I buy a more expensive (considering postage), possibly scratched used CD instead of a polished up game from a convenient digital store?

Well, as Unkillable Cat said, do you trust Tim Schaefer & Double Fine not to fuck this up in some way? Given recent history I can't say that I do. Since I already have the original then what do they have to do to get my money? There probably isn't anything, since it already works great under scummVM. In fact, unless the remake also works under scummVM then I have effectively *lost* functionality and convenience.

The best thing they could have done would have been to package up the original with scummVM and sell it for $5, instead of 'polishing it'. But no, there are bills to pay, aren't there, and they've already proved they are bereft of new ideas.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If I will buy the game anyway, why would I buy a more expensive (considering postage), possibly scratched used CD instead of a polished up game from a convenient digital store?

Well, as Unkillable Cat said, do you trust Tim Schaefer & Double Fine not to fuck this up in some way? Given recent history I can't say that I do. Since I already have the original then what do they have to do to get my money? There probably isn't anything, since it already works great under scummVM. In fact, unless the remake also works under scummVM then I have effectively *lost* functionality and convenience.

The best thing they could have done would have been to package up the original with scummVM and sell it for $5, instead of 'polishing it'. But no, there are bills to pay, aren't there, and they've already proved they are bereft of new ideas.
To quote myself:

Playing through Scummvm is the better option only if you already own the game.
Why do you bother if you already own the game? You don't have to buy this, since you have a great version of it. We are talking about people who don't own the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
To quote myself:

The best thing they could have done would have been to package up the original with scummVM and sell it for $5
What for? The remake will contain the original assets as well, plus a few convenient features if the player would like to use them.

And if you have such a hardon for scummVM, do as Astral Rag told and buy some used copy for 5-10 dollars.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
What for? The remake will contain the original assets as well, plus a few convenient features if the one would like to use them.

The point I'm failing to make is that this was a wholly unnecessary exercise designed to make money rather than to do something useful like make a new game. The original game was fine, and the convenience you are after could be obtained by using scummVM. The whole remastering process was utterly unnecessary. The fact that they could have given us the original (for free - it's 20 years old for god's sake) but rather would tart it up a bit for MONEY shows exactly where their priority lies.

And don't try and tell me that Tim is an artist and wants to show people his true vision. I call Lucas on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom