Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Divinity: Original Sin
Ye olde graphics are the best

:love:

elaine-marley-monkey-island.jpg

And here's is how it's with even older graphics:

tumblr_nllf25jRNJ1qjlzaao1_500.png

Ivan

Arcane
Most if Monkey 1 came back to me and I managed to finish it in just a few hours. Fantastic title.

Only things that pissed me off was that the "Fort" location in Act 2 is really easy to miss. Thanks for the tip about playing old school w/ voice, very nice!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally got to playing this game and damn, is it weird.

After playing more 'realistic' adventure games such as Blackwell or New Beginning, it took me some time to get into the wacky logic of DoTT, but so far I am soldiering on without a guide (save shows 37% completion). I managed to get the battery on Hoagie's path, but since then I have been wandering around for thirty minutes, completely stuck. I know I have to get the toy mouse from the cat and move Edna out of the room, but I have no idea how.

I like it. :thumbsup:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I finally got to playing this game and damn, is it weird.

After playing more 'realistic' adventure games such as Blackwell or New Beginning, it took me some time to get into the wacky logic of DoTT, but so far I am soldiering on without a guide (save shows 37% completion). I managed to get the battery on Hoagie's path, but since then I have been wandering around for thirty minutes, completely stuck. I know I have to get the toy mouse from the cat and move Edna out of the room, but I have no idea how.

Subtle hint from a pro: It's a cat. You want it to drop something? Distract it.

Ivan

Arcane
that annoyed me so much that I made sure to open/close every fucking door in the game

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished it. Great game with really cool characters. I shouldn't have postponed playing it for so long.

My favourite moment was probably...

...winning the human beauty contest with the mummy.

It was also the one moment, where I had to resort to a guide, since I would never have guessed to...

...attack Oozo the clown with a scalpel to get the box-o-laughs.

I started playing with the remastered art style, but later switched to the original one, which holds up really well after 25 years.

Next up, Full Throttle, probably.

agris

Arcane
Patron
MicoSelva I'm playing the original Full Throttle right now, it really holds up. Although coming from Primodria, the controls aren't quite as elegant. Protips: use keyboard for interaction: E for examine, T for talk/use mouth on, P for pickup/punch, K for Kick. Otherwise you're click-dragging with the mouse everytime you want to interact with a hotspot.

Ivan

Arcane
Something I really miss when playing these old games is being able to double click transition points and teleport to the desired room

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MicoSelva I'm playing the original Full Throttle right now, it really holds up. Although coming from Primodria, the controls aren't quite as elegant. Protips: use keyboard for interaction: E for examine, T for talk/use mouth on, P for pickup/punch, K for Kick. Otherwise you're click-dragging with the mouse everytime you want to interact with a hotspot.
Am I the only one who used keyboard shortcuts for the verb commands in every SCUMM game starting with MI2? :M
(at least I think it was MI2 that allowed the keyboard shortcuts first)

It was also the one moment, where I had to resort to a guide, since I would never have guessed to...
...attack Oozo the clown with a scalpel to get the box-o-laughs.
I thought this wasn't too hard, you know there's a laughter box inside Oozo from your other interactions with him. and you know you need it if you're preparing for the beauty contest. Though I guess I didn't find the game too hard because I quickly became fully immersed in the Looney Tunes logic, and once you do every puzzle makes perfect sense.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
1.4 Gigabytes?!? For a demo?!?

Oh. Right. Unity. Fine, let's boot'er up...

*A short while later*

Animation is good, but feels off considering it's DoTT. Voice acting is decent, but it's the music that really shines.

The intro tries too hard to be like the DoTT intro, it should have tried to be its own thing.

The writing is... OK. Doesn't feel right.

Gratuitious guest stars are gratuitious.

And I seem to have gotten stuck on the very first puzzle (getting the mole). Oh well. Overall this feels more like a DLC to DoTT than any kind of sequel, but I didn't play it enough to give a full judgement.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Played it some more:

# In direcet violation of LucasArts regulation, you can get killed in this one! Fortunately death can be undone without having to resort to loading saves.

# Laverne has a nice little German accent now.

# Hoagie sounds more mellowed out, and even swears!

# So far Ed Edison's voice is the one they captured the best.

# The UI isn't as swanky as it used to be in DoTT. Easy to use, though.

# You can't give items between characters anymore as easily as in DoTT, and as all three characters are exploring the same area there's some overlaps in which character should do what task. Fortunately the game susses this out for you.

# For a demo it's longer than expected. It's easily about 25% of the length of DoTT, possibly more.

EDIT: Finished it now. It's somewhere between 25-33% of the length of DoTT, but for 95% of the time it relies upon old locations. It's only at the very end that new locations appear, and that's where the graphics start coming in strong - they blend in seamlessly with the rest of the game.

Also, Ed Edison's room in the dark looks awesome.

If I were to point at shortcomings, it would be that RoTT relies on the same pitfalls as DoTT - you have to close doors to find stuff, and some vital things are just a couple of easily-missed pixels. Also the writing failed to impress me. I always felt that the reason for the gang getting back together and Dr. Fred's plan were too convoluted, I'm certain it could have been done better, in half the time needed. Finally, the game rarely managed to be funny like DoTT was - I'm gonna be a slight jerk here and chalk that one up to the devs being Germans.

None of that changes the fact that for a fan-based game this is a phenomenal release. It oozes professionalism and is an extremely faithful fan game - only Star Control 2's "Project 6014" is as faithful as this... and sadly that was just a small demo as well.

Don't be afraid to give it a try!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom