Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DayZ, a zombie mod for ArmA2 - Now standalone on Steam Early Access

Steve

Augur
First I'm going to make my way to a military base I know the location off that I found before.

Stary sobor, right? If you guys didn't know, deer stands count as military buildings so they're worth checking out for military grade weapons and shit.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
First I'm going to make my way to a military base I know the location off that I found before.

Stary sobor, right? If you guys didn't know, deer stands count as military buildings so they're worth checking out for military grade weapons and shit.

Yep. I tried to make my way there yesterday but fucking zombies got me in a nearby village, got to greedy.
Hopefully no bandits in Stary when I get there.

MCA
LOL I found a dead body with a scoped rifle on the coast. Then hunted down a pack of two moving along the cost from a safe distance, looted their bodies and I'm packing some serious firepower now, plus lots of blood and bandages. Life is good.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Are zombies wandering around in the wilderness as well now? That should be a change that would make plenty of players poop their pants.

And still looking for fun videos and AAR's.

zeitgeist

Magister
Is it true that there are absolutely no melee weapons in the game, and that melee of any kind is not present even in the base game (without the mod)?

MCA
Zombies in 1.5.7 are serious business. After taking down those two players, I moved on to a high vantage point to see if there were other players around. Five minutes later, a pack of zombies were gathering back where I fired the shots.

But one thing that sucks is that you don't see zombies beyond a certain distance. Or *I* don't. I can see players but zombies need a certain proximity to appear. Still a respectable distance, though.

Try removing that single Z from Toggle Lean Left so only 2xZ remains.

That was just an example. It's impossible to have a smooth control set with smart combinations instead of spreading the functions all over the keyboard, which is sad.

As for keys useless for DayZ - ignore cyan and green keys on the keymap.

There is no colour coding in my menu : \

Also you should use ALT too. Holding it lets you look around you while moving/facing the other direction. Supports toggling too (double ALT)

Not using the default keys but I'm using everything that can be comboed and doubled to minimise the amount of reaching.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
How heavy is this mod on your PC compared to vanilla Arma 2? I can run Arma 2 well enough for the most part, but some of the biggest missions in the campaign can occasionally kill my FPS, especially in the biggest cities. Low FPS combined with constant texture popping means that the game can get almost unplayable and still look worse than OFP at times. I haven't bought OA yet and I don't think I'll start upgrading my PC just because of one mod (I'll wait until Arma 3 comes out first).

MCA
Fucking stupid bloated clunky controls got me killed in pitch black darkness when I accidentally threw a flare and somebody nearby was biding his time. Shot me down 5 seconds after the flare.

What's amazing is this happened on a mountain top, with nothing around, not even a flat space. Some fucking coincidence.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
vots: Do you have Visibility set to 100 in Video Options? Makes you see zombies pretty far away.

Patch is immensely more fun imo with these new Zombie AIs and behaviors. Now they walk around and away from the towns and villages to the outskirts, they don't just stay inside buildings and derp around like they did before. This makes it much more tactical to raid villages/towns, because the zombies move around so much, you need to have patience to avoid them. Really enjoying this. Also, they don't bug through walls as much, and the delays between them dying seems to be not as delayed. Still buggy though, but this improvement shows promise.

Anyway, I just lost connection to a server while everything was going absolutely great. Figures. Bullshit I say.

Steve

Augur
arma2oa_2012_05_14_21_03_59_433.jpg

:yeah:

arma2oa_2012_05_14_21_46_30_956.jpg

:rage:

Steve

Augur
I used to ask people if they were friendly or not, after a few shotgun shots to the face I abandoned that policy and just started shooting everybody on sight.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Fucking bandits everywhere shooting me, even in remote locations up north inland. What the fuck.
Then when I'm all geared up I'm heading to the south coast to start shooting some fuckers.
First you complain about them, now you want to join them. :/

Well that's what happens. You get pushed to the edge. Now everyone has to pay for it. :troll:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to ask people if they were friendly or not, after a few shotgun shots to the face I abandoned that policy and just started shooting everybody on sight.
I hear this a lot in chat often: "I keep getting shot! Now I'm just gonna shoot everybody I see!". So you kill other players (someone like yourself in the past who was a carebear), those killed by you will then start killing other players, who will then start killing other players...
It isn't the zombie virus that is spreading.

Also Skyway calling pkers assholes then asking to form a codex pk gang ITT. Thanks for the map though, better than the one I'm currently using.

1.57 is zombie madness, I'm ninjaing the towns now, sneaking by zombies in daylight and looting without shooting, got a full Alice pack but less than 20 zombie kills.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is it true that there are absolutely no melee weapons in the game, and that melee of any kind is not present even in the base game (without the mod)?
Yep there's no melee in a base game. It's a war simulation after all, not BF3.

someone else said:
Also Skyway calling pkers assholes then asking to form a codex pk gang ITT.
I have a bandit skin myself, bro.

Also the direct chat is broken since some version so other people can't hear you shouting or see you writing "I'm friendly!!1" when you are close so everybody suspects the worst.

1.57 is zombie madness, I'm ninjaing the towns now, sneaking by zombies in daylight and looting without shooting, got a full Alice pack but less than 20 zombie kills.

Nice. I guess if someone was to try and shoot you all zombies would go after him lul.
Night is probably harder since zombies react to flares/chemlights (though you can just throw it the other way and they will just chase it)

And here is a quote from DayZ forums

For the sociopaths.
MR DELIGHTFUL (a padre) is the more sociopathic bandit in our little family and he's made a sport, an art of kneecapping people.
Basically, shoot a man through the legs progressively until he runs out of morphine, and then leave him to prone away. Follow him, and wait until he calls for help, then gun down anyone who comes to assist him. The trick is to never actually kill the guy with the broken legs.

He likes to call the game "sneaky slug."

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I forgot to pick up a prepaid credit card on the way home but maybe it's a good thing. It looks like Arrowhead is standalone for $20 but Combined Operations is $30. I know I'll want to play the regular game and not just this mod so I'm guessing I should buy CO to get the full package? I'm not clear on the difference between Arrowhead and CO.

Steve

Augur
You'll need both the main game and arrowhead to play the mod, CO is just a package containing both.

Kitako

Arcane
When Villan mentioned that I needed a key remapper I thought he meant a program made for Arma 2 that edits your INI and makes it easier. I'm thinking he meant AutoHotKey or something similar. Probably have to go that route. If any die-hards here could take a few minutes out and see if you can remap the right mouse button to Move Forward or just confirm that you can't it would save me some frustration.
I happily use X-Mouse for years, on many games. Don't have Arma2, but it worked on anything for me so far.

zeitgeist

Magister
Yep there's no melee in a base game. It's a war simulation after all, not BF3.
Do you know if the engine can support it in some form (I understand why it's not there in the base game, although it could've been, but it should have its place in a zombie survival game) and is it planned as an addition for DayZ or are those just rumors? I've seen posters on various boards defend the lack of melee fiercely but their arguments mostly focused on what the base game was supposed to be, and with no actual technical information about the engine itself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Melee is possible. ACE mod added the ability to knockdown people with a weapon stock (useless when everyone has guns) so I think DayZ lacks it because of the lack of animations and melee weapons sans knife (I never had one so I dunno if it already works). I know people use knives to butcher animals for raw meat which you can cook and it restores blood too apart from fighting hunger.

DayZ is less than 4 weeks old alpha so I bet they will add melee eventually.

MCA
If they added melee attacks, I'd expect death rates to skyrocket because the game is so fucking clunky. I personally wouldn't even think of using it if it were available.

Nice. I guess if someone was to try and shoot you all zombies would go after him lul.
Night is probably harder since zombies react to flares/chemlights (though you can just throw it the other way and they will just chase it)

Actually, night is easier. A few things I've realised last night:

• It's easier to sneak by zombies at night; their sight range is certainly modified.
  • Zombies don't react to flares or camp fires AT ALL. I tested this several times. They don't give a fuck. I don't know about street lights and torches, though.
  • Likewise, light from flare and camp fire doesn't make you easier to see for zombies. You can be lit up like a christmas tree and they still won't notice you. This suggests that their sight range is fixed by time of day as opposed to actual lighting conditions.
  • Their sensitivity to noise is also lowered at night. You can move much faster and shoot without alarming zombies up. It's the ideal time of day to make long fast strides with respect to manhunters.
  • Over all, zombies are more sensitive to noise, though. Gun shots also seem to trigger zombie spawning.
  • Closing doors no longer protect against zombies. They will open doors.
  • They might have buffed zombies up. I shot several zombies twice or thrice on the abdomen and saw the blood confirming my shot and they didn't die but single headshots worked every time.
  • Zombies can also crawl through crawlspaces. I don't know if this is new but I haven't seen it happen on 1.5.6.
  • Another thing new to me was zombies that appeared to be dead bodies, until you were close enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah they did buff zombies up to make them more canon (headshots are the most effective).

I think night time was balanced with more zombies spawning as well. F.e. small airfields at day had like 5-7 zombies guarding them while at night the number was like 15. Although after 1.5.7 the numbers are much bigger I bet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://kotaku.com/5910279/pc-zombie-darling-causes-sale-explosion-arma-devs-happy-to-help

"Bohemia Interactive has always tried to help community mod makers in many different ways and Day Z mod is no different", he says. "We're more than happy to assist DayZ in any suitable way and considering the mod's popularity we are committed to do some related work in the next Arma 2 update (1.61)."

Some more general info in the article. IIRC it's now outselling max payne 3 on steam.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Bohemia are fucking bros. :bro:
If they are on helping the mod out it could take on some great improvements.

Like being able to interact with every building on the map, that would be nice.

MCA
Oh yeah, cardboard buildings are no fun. It's also fucking annoying that you spot a small habitat from a distance, go there to scavenge and find out that only 1 out of 4 buildings is actually a building. I guess it would pay to have played Arma 2 / OA before to know these beforehand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom