Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DayZ, a zombie mod for ArmA2 - Now standalone on Steam Early Access

MetalCraze

Arcane
You don't go to Chernogorsk unless you have a posse

Luzur

Good Sir
i just watched a 6 part video of some dudes playing this, looked fun but also very glitchy (zombies running straight through walls etc)

mayhaps i look into joining when it is fully patched.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I need to stop playing this. I started having dreams/nightmares of zombie apocalypse and it's no fun.

You should cherish those memories, it's like a free movie in your mind. I've actually had a few dreams about the regular Arma2, some zombie ones would be good. It's nice to finally find a game that's so awesome.

I think DayZ is a good example of 'emergent' gameplay. Today I spawned and headed north right away at Balota. I had a few encounters, ditched someone stalking me and tried looting one place but got a pack of zombies chasing me. And I ran for about an hour, didn't even have time to get a beer or answer the phone or anything. I just followed the roads and it looks like I went through Bor to Pavlovo, to Kemenka then east along the coast. I had probalby fifteen or twenty zombies on my heals at any given time. Luckily you don't run out of stamina but your food goes down. I couldn't even slow down enough to read the signs of the towns I was approaching to get my bearings, one false move and I'd be dead.

I was hoping that along the coast I'd run find some recent respawned survivor to take the heat off me, I can't imagine what it looked like, funning full blast with a horde of screaming zombies behind me down the middle of the highway. I jogged around Chernogorsk for a bit but no takers, lost a few zombies, picked up a few more. Kept running all the way to Elektro and ran up the stairs in the industrial area to the highest point I could get to. That threw them off for a bit but they started climbing ladders and falling off because there were so many of them.

From my high vantage point I could survey the whole area and noticed a bunch of zombies running in a certain direction and noticed an other player there. I went prone to the edge of the building and zoomed in. Even though a bunch of zombies were bee-lining it to him he was leaning around the corner of a shed and was zoomed in on me and shot me. I started spewing blood and backed off and bandaged myself.

I'm not sure if he lived, there were all the regular zombies down there plus the twenty or so I dragged into town.

I figured I had to get out of there, this was Elekro after all. So I started running across the metal walkways and the sound of my boots clanging away alerted all the zombies beneath me and this time they figured out how to walk up the stairs. I shot my way through four or five of them and made it to ground level when I realized I was crawling. I'd somehow broken some bones and couldn't stand up. But that was ok as I was frantically dragging myself along a cement wall and had some cover and none of the zombies were following me.

I guess painkillers are for dizziness after you've been injured and morphine is for shattered bones but I was too panicked to think at the time, I was so happy that I'd made it out of that horde of zombies that had been chasing me for around an hour.

Then I heard a loud echoing 'crack' and everything went white. I died. Must have been a sniper.

THE END

MCA
Something that pisses me off about Arma 2 is very simple stuff that is basically standard in MP games: a favourites list and information about the server you are currently in. It's so stupid that especially the latter is missing.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
In the old days we'd use a third party server browser to show all of that. I guess when they decided to do the BF2 bullshit of paid hosting or whatever it fell by the wayside. It's nice that this is just a standard list though, pick and choose. I've been using the fillter and it works. I agree that being able to tell if you have a crosshair or 3rd person or not would help. Time of day too.

It's 8am on the west coast of NA which means Virginia and NY should be pretty light out (10am?) It's pitch black, kind of hard to test out your controls. Try to fire off a flare (I figured it out) but fire a round, hear some rage grunting and you're being chased by zombies in pitch blackness. Of course, just find a server in Europe and it's bright as day.

Still having a blast though.

thesoup

Arcane
So I was retarded today and decided to snipe some zombies in a little town in the hills. Naturally, 2 minutes later I was being chased by 15 zombies. Eventually I managed to lose them, but then I saw two were still following me. I shot them, but then another 15 zombies from a nearby town came and the cycle repeats.

Destroid

Arcane
2qvt7jd.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
It says which difficulty the server has.

Essentially:

Recruit - the difficulty for complete and utter fags or complete newbies to handling keyboard and mouse. It shows you and your enemies on the map, crosshair which detects other people, 3rd person, enemies having red shine around them seen even through trees and other dumbing down
Regular - the difficulty for pussy faggots, slightly less dumbed down (no red shining) but that's about it.
Veteran - the difficulty for true bros. No crosshair, no 3d person, no map markers, no anything. Also known as normal difficulty. US3, US4 and US5 have it, also some Chicago servers.
Mercenary - if you are into BDSM - by all means, join.

Of course due to nature of the game having very flexible options for the difficulty some stuff may vary but generally that's how it is.

Also there are 3rd party mod launchers with server browsers which let you make favourite lists.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Thanks for that, I did notice the seeing the difficulty level but there's so much about Arma and DayZ that I haven't learned yet.

I do like the no crosshair and 3rd person thing but I can see how it can help when you're learning or just trying to configure the keys. I'm also wondering if there are more zombies than usual spawning in veteran mode or if that's just how it is. It can seem a little overwhelming to a one or two man team with limited rounds and two bandages each. Still fun although I know I'm having trouble looting anything, if I fire one shot I have a trail of eight or nine following me within a couple of minutes and I haven't figured out how to doge them yet. I heard

running up a hill or off a cliff helps but it's usually game over for me at that point.

I'm also curious if their hearing or general awareness changes from difficulty levels. I'll have to check it out later. I have to take a nap now, I just did another marathon, and maybe have dreams of the zombie apocalypse.

Joghurt

Augur
Damn it! Couldn't resist and bought the OA (I had ArmA2) and downloading now. So where can I find a friendly group of people to play this mod together? Or is it better to enjoy this mod alone for now and find some people to play with later when I know what this shit is all about?

MCA
I fooled around with vecihles in "armory" mod in the base game. It's kind of retarded that car (or land vehicle) controls are so arcadey (not to mention they are shit, driving a car IRL is easier than that crap) while flying a chopper is serious work, more like a simulation and requires some concentration.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Damn it! Couldn't resist and bought the OA (I had ArmA2) and downloading now. So where can I find a friendly group of people to play this mod together? Or is it better to enjoy this mod alone for now and find some people to play with later when I know what this shit is all about?

Try surviving alone at first (of course you can always ask questions on how to). If you will stick to groups from the start you may get used to them too much and when it's time to go solo you will be caught pants down. Surviving solo is really fucking brutal.

But basically stay stealthy. Not next-gen stealthy as in "blow all shit up from behind with your stealthy silenced rocket launcher", but really stealthy.
Bandits have to think twice before they will open fire on you in villages and towns unless they have a good position - because zombies going after the sound can fuck them up badly.

And so they will fuck you up if you will make a lot of noise.

For the past three days I'm p. lucky though. Always had a dude with suppressed MP5 in my group.

Today we also created a stash. The plan is to turn it into a tent city on US4.

I kinda find it funny when people go like "I caved in and paid $15 for ArmA2" considering that DayZ is like 1% of what you can have in the game.

MCA
The problem is, the game itself is just buggy shit OLOLO.

Today, I teamed up with two random strangers and we had a game plan: one of us would run through one of the towns, in and out of every little hole to rile all the zombies up and drive them away so the other two could loot everything they could find and pile them up at a relatively safe predetermined location nearby. The runner would run to the next town and back, trying to drop as many zombies from his tail as possible, which isn't that hard once you start heading for the hills. It worked pretty fucking good. The town was literally deserted after that. And the guy came back with only 3 zombies on his tail. Down side is that there was so little loot in the entire town. We should have done that on air strips but I suspect there would be bandits there.

TL;DR: if you got zombies on your tail, run to the hills. Try to run up one and get down from the other direction. Zombies cannot into elevation.

Later on, I was soloing and got the jump on a bandit. He was maybe 30 feet away and had no idea I was there. I wanted to shoot him so bad. Almost did but then I heard noises from elsewhere nearby. I thought a zombie but it turned out to be another bandit. I would probably be fucked if I attacked that one I saw first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom