Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DC Universe Online: Codex League

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
So, any DC fans here, or fans of comic heroes in general want to start up a Codex league in DCUO?

Aside from being a fun supers MMO, DCUO is what I call true free to play. You really don't need to do any micro transactions or buy any of the expansion packs. Till date, the MTs are simply for cosmetic things. You don't really need them to be competitive.

The game is fun to play, and especially the movement modes are a ton of fun. Graphics are nice and the game is not a resource hog at all.

What say you?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, I have a character at max level. It's just that the endgame feels very tedious, and it mostly felt to me that you're a C-lister that the JLA allows to hang around their vast empty base and loan their bad guys so they can have a coffee break. You just don't feel very, well, super. At least not the last time I played.

And I am extremely butthurt they had the "brilliant" idea of enforcing unique names.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
You may feel a C lister in the sense that you don't get to play Superman, Wonder Woman etc. But this is a MMO, if everyone played Superman where would the fun be?

You can still get a lot of cool powers, and stuff like super strength, eye beams, cosmic blasts from your hands, etc. The game should have been more complicated in other respects though, such as a Batman type of character should not be able to take a single punch from a Superman type of character. But the games back-story kind of explains that.

Anyhow, it a fun game, with a fun combat system, and it's the only MMO superhero RPG out there worth playing. Champions may be great, but not only is it old but it costs a damn fortune. DCUO is free. You don't need to spend a single $ of real money.

Vaarna_Aarne

Thing is that those powers felt anything but super. When you load up a big haymaker with the superstrength moveset on a LexCorp security guard, the one that causes a shockwave from the punch... It lifts the guard about 10 cm off the ground and he drops on his ass. Going to that from being able to punch mooks in a 300 feet arc is kinda lame. But that was then, they might have changed how that stuff works. Overall I liked the moveset idea and implementation (even though they were pretty unbalanced, Staff was really OP as an example), the actual powersets themselves felt pretty meh, even if functionally the game had a very tight holy trinity in instances.

Also I found the backstory nothing less than outrageously insulting.

(Also to point out, Champions is free too, though with a lot more microtransactions around)

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Yeah it's the same now, but staff has been balanced AFAIK. Are you talking about Champions where you can punch mooks 300ft?

Yeah the backstory is nothing much, but it's not that bad overall. It gives you a good reason for all these new heroes/villains running about.

Champions is free to play yeah, but only in name. You need to spend a shit ton to just be able to make your own custom character. Also DCUO has better eye candy without hogging your system. It's very stable too, which helps in PVP. PvP is a lotta fun btw, one of the main reasons to play this.

I think I played DCUO almost to level 30 but got bored at some point. Most of my problem with the game was the same Vaarna had, it just didn't feel too superhero and the missions were only playable because I wanted to hear the voice actor go at it.
Then again I generally don't like MMOs so I wasn't the focus of the game anyway. It had some good ideas I liked for example the movements modes though.

i forced myself to reach 30 and play a little more only because i was larping deadpool.
(and because my main contact was mark hamill \m/_ )
limitations for froobs were bearable, then they got worse and worse with every dlc added.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yeah it's the same now, but staff has been balanced AFAIK. Are you talking about Champions where you can punch mooks 300ft?

Yeah the backstory is nothing much, but it's not that bad overall. It gives you a good reason for all these new heroes/villains running about.

Champions is free to play yeah, but only in name. You need to spend a shit ton to just be able to make your own custom character. Also DCUO has better eye candy without hogging your system. It's very stable too, which helps in PVP. PvP is a lotta fun btw, one of the main reasons to play this.
Yea I was referring to Champions with 300 feet punch effect. That's around what you can get with highest knockback Might powers and hulking the fuck out to 320 Strength. But yea, point was that in DCUO you really just never feel superpowered, especially given how much of a candyass you are in terms of taking a beating even when tanking (without Holy Trinity in full swing, that is).

And I agree, F2P in DCUO is a lot more generous in Champions, where I'd still recommend people to just sub instead of spending ten bucks or something at the store due to how vast the sub benefits are.

But really, I don't like that explanation even a single bit. All you really needed was just a blank sheet for people to scribble inanities on if they were so inclined, ultimately in a superhero universe people get randomly turned into SPBs by going to buy a carton of milk and there's superpowered aliens and robots everywhere. The forced origin story basically means that EVERYONE is literally a shovelware knockoff.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a 20something character from back when my roommates wanted to play this. I'll consider reinstalling it if enough people decide to join.

Vaarna_Aarne

I wonder if the chat channel I set up for the Codex (back then you needed to sub to create one) is still alive, along with the original Codex superteam...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom