Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space 3, or How To Fuck Up A Popamole Game

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Fuck, such greedy jewfucks can't even make their robbery on stupid people properly.

potatojohn

Arcane
While I’m no fan of micro-transactions, particularly in this instance, isn’t posting a way to circumvent them and advocating its use rather dubious at best and potentially drifting into some murky legal grey areas?
:retarded:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Universal ammo is a slight decline, but doesn't change as much as I feared, different weapons use it at different rate and it mostly just leaves more inventory space for other stuff.

Isn't universal ammo exclusive to the pirate and pre-release versions? I thought I read somewhere that universal ammo wouldn't make it into the final game.

Yes, the fights seem to be more tense now, but fuck me if I won't see it as a plus. Although I thought DS2 was already faster than the first one.

Yeah, the fights are a lot more tense. The game also throws a lot more enemies at you than it did previously, but I dunno, something about the shooting still just feels off. The small plasma-cutter feels more like a pistol and the larger plasma-cutter that's the size of the Linecutter from DS2 feels like a normal small plasma cutter.

I'll say one thing for it, though. It's honestly not a bad port. It could've been a lot better, but I was expecting a lot worse. The graphic options are pretty much what one can expect from a port nowadays.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ds1 was fine as a...shooty...sorta game...where you had to sort of conserve ammunition and shit on hard. ds2 seems fairly popamole.
DS2 actually had improved mechanics/balance/ammo pacing, though at the expense of turning it into a linear asset tour with set pieces.

Isn't universal ammo exclusive to the pirate and pre-release versions? I thought I read somewhere that universal ammo wouldn't make it into the final game.

I hope you're right about that. While it's not a deal breaker for me I still prefer the previous ammo system.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Making alike game to GoW or Lost Planet, that show some promise in that part is good? I liked the locations of the first, the hospital, zero gravity sections, necromorphs were fast and brutal. Instead of improving scary elements they just cut it off. No problem for me really, I'll wait for Routine.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
To be honest, playing this SP, the scare-factor is pretty much on par with Dead Space 2. Which doesn't say a lot seeing as DS2 had very little scare-factor, but it's not really diminished. I still find myself jolting at unexpected monster pop-ups and from time to time I'll tense up when entering a new area. It's more the suspense of waiting for the necromorphs to spawn, though. Once the necromorphs are on-screen all the suspense goes out the window. At least I haven't encountered those fucking annoying stalker necromorphs who will hide behind objects and charge at you when you turn your back. Yet.

Either way, maybe it's the fact that I'm still waiting for my university to start and have nothing decent to do, but I'm actually kinda enjoying this game. I spent about 4 hours on it today. The weapon crafting is actually really nice. Quite a bit of variety in what you can build.

I'd say 5/10. It's okay for what it is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I really liked 1 and 2. A lot of things have turned me off about 3 and made me wait for it to be $20 or less. That'll show 'em!

Seriously though I hope it sells less than 2.

Making alike game to GoW or Lost Planet, that show some promise in that part is good?

How about you stop constructing arguments based on exaggerated claims in internet posts? It's not alike to GoW nor Lost Planet. You know what it's alike? Dead Space 1 and 2. Because really, series hasn't changed nearly as much as some people would make you believe, at their core they're all very similar. And it was NEVER scary, unless you're easily scared. Did Doom 3 felt scary to you too?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doom 3 had a very boring system of teleporting behind you, in front of you, and thus it was more of a tedious, than scary experience. As for the other - fair enough, will try it in the nearest time.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Don't forget Imps waiting behind doors, pouncing you the moment you opened them. Near the end of Doom 3 you could pretty much start shooting the moment you came close to a door because you just knew there was going to be an imp waiting there.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I liked the first game. It was a good survival horror/action title with occasionally fun puzzles and exploration, very tense atmosphere, and nice visuals. If you played it on the hard difficulty you actually had to do significant resource management too. The plot was dumb, but it was usually in the background. I liked that the story had a real resolution (even if it's "Isaac's gone insane").

Dead Space 2 fucking sucked. Almost all of the tension and atmosphere was removed, combat became much faster and spammier, the story was, although not necessarily dumber, much harder to ignore, the constant chattering of characters cut into the tension and isolation factor a lot, there were far fewer puzzles, exploration was almost totally eliminated, etc. Aside from one part where you have to do repairs on some orbital array in zero-G (or something) I thought the game was just weak as hell. Even the combat sucked, the old formula of monster closets that the first game showed restraint with was out in full force - like someone designed the game using an algorithm of "there must be X minutes of combat for every Y minutes of no combat." Also didn't help that it was even more "gamey" in that it introduced more and more gameplay contrivances without story explanation ("you found flamethrower blueprints in a preschool!").

I read up on Dead Space 3 and watched some videos. The funny thing is that the premise actually seems cool. You apparently get an open-ended section that is about 30% of the game where you explore a flotilla of abandoned warships. This section has real exploration (can go from ship to ship at will) and is fairly non-linear. The weapon crafting system, while an obvious desperate attempt to freshen up the game, also seems like it's handled decently. But apparently once that section ends, the game becomes super-linear, super-repetitive, and the quality of the gameplay just drops like a rock. They use literal copy-paste level design (you see the same rooms over and over), there are tons of pointless filler side-quests, even the graphics and polish take a nosedive. I've also heard that the ending is the stupidest thing since Mass Effect 3's, as well.

And yeah, the DLC microtransactions, freemium-style timers, etc. are just complete and utter bullshit. I just can't tell if this is purely a case of EA driving the project into the ground and obviously rushing it out the door, or if the developers themselves just ran out of ideas. And the fact that the menus look like they needed a team of 20+ people to work on for months, yet the entire second half of the game is rushed, also suggests just plain bad project management overall.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Urgh, already tired of this. The later levels are definitely not intended to be done solo. The sheer amount of enemies thrown at you is simply ridiculous and then to top it off when you approach a puzzle you get swarmed by tons of enemies. It seems to be intended for one player to do the puzzle while the other shoots all the necromorphs.

Either way, it's tiresome having to enter a room just to deal with thirty enemies and then do it again in the next room 50 feet further. And it's not easy enemies like the pack either, it's enemies such as normal necromorphs, stalkers and the like. I want to see how the game ends, but I don't feel like playing through this crap. Maybe I'll just download a trainer and godmode my way through.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Urgh, already tired of this. The later levels are definitely not intended to be done solo. The sheer amount of enemies thrown at you is simply ridiculous and then to top it off when you approach a puzzle you get swarmed by tons of enemies. It seems to be intended for one player to do the puzzle while the other shoots all the necromorphs.

Either way, it's tiresome having to enter a room just to deal with thirty enemies and then do it again in the next room 50 feet further. And it's not easy enemies like the pack either, it's enemies such as normal necromorphs, stalkers and the like. I want to see how the game ends, but I don't feel like playing through this crap. Maybe I'll just download a trainer and godmode my way through.
Watch an LP, save yourself some pain.

Which difficulty are you playing on? Might keep it in mind myself when I'll get around to playing through this.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Just finished it. What a derp ending.

I was playing on Normal difficulty, but I switched to casual to finish it quick. Some of these fights were definitely intended for co-op. At one point close to the end the game throws 6 giant behemoth necromorphs at you between checkpoints. You don't fight them all in one go, but a checkpoint after the first two would have been nice. They take a ton of firepower to bring down, not made easier by the fact that you actually have to contend with other necromorphs while fighting them as well. I would hate to be the person who solos those sections on one of the higher difficulties.

All in all, DS3 makes a few missteps, but the decent crafting system was enough to hold my attention. I'm probably never going to replay it, though.

Just one thing that I found curious; the Lurkers are no longer mutated babies, but are instead mutated dogs and the Pack, who used to be mutated children have been changed to humans who ate infected flesh. It left me wondering whether these changes are due to all the furore over video games being bad for children etc.

Old MacDonald had a gold farm, EA EA… oh.

:lol:

After the annouce of co-op, it was obvious that horror elements would be washed out. Shame, instead they made it more action-oriented.

Know what would make a cool concept for a co-op horror game? Actually split up the group often. Completely, not some lame 5-foot impassable barrier. Basically have 2 separate storylines. Watching a friend getting ambushed back and forth while you slowly creep through another section of the game would be pretty tense. Like listening to a real world SS2 audio log.

Maybe EA can't afford the bribes any longer? I've been suspecting them of being in pretty serious financial trouble for a while now.

It costs like a handful of millet and a kind word to bribe a game reviewer

Reviewers are just trying to earn Kodex Kool Kredits with the public by minorly tearing apart a game that pretty much everyone will agree is at least a little bad and which will neither get them blacklisted by EA nor massively hurt the game sales.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The worst thing they do in this game is the dam Jump scares and the fact not a single one of these jump scares are even close to surprising. You see a went in a room there will be a fight there no exceptions.

There is also a massive lack of quite unsettling moments the preeschool, the church in 2 and most of Dead space one where you have time to see the level and let your guard down so when something happens it is actually scary or surprising. IN this every scare only made me more and more angry because it was not scary in any way shape or form it was only a loud noise followed by a boring action sequence.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I read up on Dead Space 3 and watched some videos. The funny thing is that the premise actually seems cool. You apparently get an open-ended section that is about 30% of the game where you explore a flotilla of abandoned warships. This section has real exploration (can go from ship to ship at will) and is fairly non-linear.

What chapter starts this non-linear levels?

Dexter

Arcane
Bros, Cheating or even Exploiting Bugs in your Single Player game is THEFT nao!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21367852

Legal questions
Cheats have long been a feature of video games.

Magazines such as Zap Attack used to publish pages of tricks in the 1980s to help gamers boost ammunition or health points. Websites offering walkthroughs and other cheat sheets now continue that tradition.

However, one solicitor told the BBC that the practice became "legally grey" once micro-transactions were involved.

"If you go into a baker's to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that's theft," Sara Ludlam, an intellectual property expert at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley told the BBC.

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well.

"Intellectual Property"
its_magic.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom