Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space 3, or How To Fuck Up A Popamole Game

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Or maybe EA should tell their studios to hire some good writers and stop following the default EA sci-fi trilogy storyline that just gets adapted for every new fantasy game EA brings out.

They should do a lot of things.. Not that they even fucking care. Best we could do is not worry about it either and focus on the good parts in games, whining about obvious shit never accomplishes anything anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To me, that's pretty much anyone who cares about that shitty story.

I cared about the atmosphere and shit, which is story to some degree. The creepy unitology church in DS2 was great, for example, and knowing they're nutters and enabling the shit going on adds to that. What I don't want is endless exposition and explanation.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I cared about the atmosphere and shit, which is story to some degree. The creepy unitology church in DS2 was great, for example, and knowing they're nutters and enabling the shit going on adds to that. What I don't want is endless exposition and explanation.

This. Not absolutely everything needs to be explained. A little exposition is to be expected, but the

moon in DS3 could really just have remained a mystery antagonist with Isaac thwarting its plans but not knowing what it is or why it wants to spread the necromorph infection.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-following-poor-sales-of-dead-space-3-report

Dead Space is over because this one undersold compared to DS2.

EA keep repeating themselves taking these popular yet middle-selling franchises, trying to turn them into mainstream powerhouses and alienating core fans so they sell worse. It's like watching the same TV show episode over and over again, they never reach the season finale of megabucks or total collapse.

Maybe one day...

EA is too big to change and it's too big to die quickly. I wish this was a world in which big companies get punished quickly for doing same dumbass shit over and over, but it isn't. Anyway, 3 games is enough, isn't it?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Visceral were ordered to take the series into a more action-focused direction in order to emulate BioWare's Mass Effect franchise and broaden its appeal.
This is funny because it's not like any of the ME games sold significantly better than DS, just 1-2 million extra, and that could just as easily be a result of the emphasis on dialogues and characters instead of "more action." :lol:

This fucking game... Last time I exited after the section with being chased around with that regenerating thing where I eventually had to dodge him while waiting for the train to arrive. So I steered that train to the location of side mission and I know for sure it autosaved there. Today, I launch the fucker and I'm back again right before the part where I have to dodge the regenerating fucker while waiting for the train. FUCK YOU! Completely killed my interest in continuing, especially on Impossible difficulty. Great job on removing manual saves, assholes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
UPDATE: Dino Ignacio, UI Lead at Dead Space developer Visceral Games, has denied today's story about the end of the Dead Space series.
"The reports of our death were greatly exaggerated," he tweeted. "Please stand by."
EA's US PR team has reportedly called the VideoGamer.com report "patently false". Eurogamer has once again asked EA for clarification.

potatojohn

Arcane
Smells like a PR conspiracy to me. Sites publish fake news, earn ad money off views. EA issues a retraction making them seem like the good guy for not cancelling a underselling series and of course eyeball fucks us with their brand, and sites again earn more money publishing the retraction. Everyone wins. Well, except us.

RPGMaster

Savant
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-following-poor-sales-of-dead-space-3-report

Dead Space is over because this one undersold compared to DS2.

EA keep repeating themselves taking these popular yet middle-selling franchises, trying to turn them into mainstream powerhouses and alienating core fans so they sell worse. It's like watching the same TV show episode over and over again, they never reach the season finale of megabucks or total collapse.

Maybe one day...

Be afraid DA3. Be very afraid.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I'll never understand people who insist that Dead Space series had a non-crap story at some point. It's about magic markers turning flesh into The Thing-alikes so you could kill them in gory ways.

Except it's NOT about magic markers turning flesh into necromorphs, at least not in DS1. In DS1, necromorphs were created not by marker: scientists created a bacteria using the DNA info on the marker's surface, and said bacteria proceeded to infect people, turning them into infectors, etc. The marker in DS1 had a hallucination magic effect on people, yes, but its main function is to mysteriously suppress necromorphs. I'd say the marker in DS1 is a fair novel concept in sci-fi space horror, not part of the old cliche.

So yes, DS story was interesting at one point.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Or maybe EA should tell their studios to hire some good writers and stop following the default EA sci-fi trilogy storyline that just gets adapted for every new fantasy game EA brings out.

EA being EA, any "good writer" would be fucked by them. The 2012 Syndicate FPS was written by Richard Morgan! Based on the shitty game plot, you'd think it was written by a 13-year-old retard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Smells like a PR conspiracy to me. Sites publish fake news, earn ad money off views. EA issues a retraction making them seem like the good guy for not cancelling a underselling series and of course eyeball fucks us with their brand, and sites again earn more money publishing the retraction. Everyone wins. Well, except us.

Or maybe Dead Space 4 really was stopped, people really were let go or moved to other projects, and they're just using PR speak to pretend nothing is happening.

Gozma

Arcane
Yeah, this shit still has DLC to be sold, there is really no scenario where they could be like "Lol yah its a fuckin disaster you guys got it in one shot"

Deleted member 7219

They sell these games for such fucking high prices (£39.99 for a PC game? Really?), I can't believe they don't make a huge profit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They sell these games for such fucking high prices (£39.99 for a PC game? Really?), I can't believe they don't make a huge profit.

Not sure how monarchy-bucks compare but in the States $60 has been pretty normal since I started gaming. $50 was the average for a while sure, but there were always games that cost more due to size, FMV or whatever. SNES RPGs for example, or multi-CD games like Under a Killing Moon. There were games that cost like $70. And then inflation becomes a factor a well, knocking at least $15 off today's prices in comparison.

Games are the same price they have always been, DLC not factored in. There's just so many of them the market is flooded and no one wants to pay full price for anything not amazing anymore.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Have been playing this for a few days. I loved DS1 and DS2. Some thoughts:
- The autosave is fucking dumb and on the border of being broken. As mentioned above, quitting the game even right after "Saving Progress" and coming back might kick you back to like at least 5 min of gameplay. Good luck fighting those hordes again.

- The DS3 is even less scary than DS2. Well, I can't completely blame the game design. In the game's setting wise, Isaac has fucking went through Necromorph shit for years, building and blowing up whole markers, killing several leviathan class Necromorphs, etc, so it's perfectly understandable the game world becomes more popamole for him - just another Necromorph dismembering Friday. Player wise, I've went through DS1, DS2, the DS shooter of Wii, so killing Necromorphs and preparing for ambushes isn't really different from killing random soldiers in Planetside 2 for me. On the other hand, if you play DS3 like DOOM3, the game is surprisingly fun.

- Game difficulty is still very high, on Hard. Isaac is hardier this time but I had to eat a lot of medipacks. Universal ammo is...well, dumbed down of course.

- The new weapon combination system is fun and actually critical to gameplay. Despite that Isaac is way more tougher than ever, this time you have only two weapon slots, and shooting and reloading is still slow as fuck, so building the favourite weapon combinations to use is much more critical than, say, using nodes strategically to empower your weapons. Of course, you may argue that this is exactly how Blizzard ruined Diablo 3, by forcing the player to use limited offensive ability slots, and making the choice of abilities costless...

- The character interaction this time is very facepalm worthy. It feels like all the characters' are from Twilight. The only cool guy is Carver but I can't get all his story because I don't play co-op.

- Haven't beaten the game yet, only got to around 65%, so no comment on the end game design. But I do admit the Lovecraftian atmosphere on Tau Volantis is very well done. But there's way too many copy & pasting here and there.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you spend 100 million dollars making a game, you need 2 million sales at $50 a piece to break even.

That's before counting distribution fees, support costs, licensing fees for consoles, etc.

And yes $100 million dollar budgets to exist for game, though I doubt DS3 was one of them.

Deleted member 7219

Not sure how monarchy-bucks compare but in the States $60 has been pretty normal since I started gaming. $50 was the average for a while sure, but there were always games that cost more due to size, FMV or whatever. SNES RPGs for example, or multi-CD games like Under a Killing Moon. There were games that cost like $70. And then inflation becomes a factor a well, knocking at least $15 off today's prices in comparison.

Games are the same price they have always been, DLC not factored in. There's just so many of them the market is flooded and no one wants to pay full price for anything not amazing anymore.

In the UK, PC games used to cost over £30 but after the Xbox, PS2 and their successors came out, PC prices dropped to around £25-£30. £35 was considered to be pushing it. £39.99 is just crazy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Started playing this, about halfway through now. Main thing that pisses me off is how much more linear it is. It's not like DS1 or 2 were super fucking open games, so turning DS3 into one long corridor is even more wtf? The side missions are not compensation, they're just linear tunnels of their own.

Also crafting is pointless, you'll want to spend all your shit on suit upgrades and like the first two games the original weapon is the best anyway.

Lastly is it me or does the game look a lot worse? Much more repetitive visually and just less interesting environments compared to 2 overall.

Disappointing game, Dead Space 2 was fine vintage pop-a-mole compared to most modern games but this is several steps back. Guess that's why it killed the franchise. I hope it at least has a decent ending.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Main thing that pisses me off is how much more linear it is. It's not like DS1 or 2 were super fucking open games, so turning DS3 into one long corridor is even more wtf?
Dead Space 2 was one long corridor. They removed the map for this reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom