Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Admittedly I did, and it's entirely the fault of the people who made the game, but it's easily fixable stuff. With my current graphics card, by default I can get a framerate up around 200-300, which makes input very unresponsive. However, I use Dxtory to limit my framerate to a smooth 62 to solve the problem. Other solutions exist, such as an option to limit framerate in nVidia's control panel, and I believe some Direct3D management application as well, but Dxtory probably has that functionality in its free version as well.

After that, it's quite smooth. DS2/3 still improved on the responsiveness in really nice ways, but I have no problem playing the original now.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dead Space had a UE problem also present in vastly underrated Dark Void. In order to get responsive controls, you had to force VSYNC in game, and force NO VSYNC in driver control panel. Or the other way around, not sure. That was the solution to mouse lag bug.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
By controls I don't mean the keys on the keyboard for the functions. The default key layout is good. The issue is with turning, aiming, line of sight. The character is always in the way, you need to turnaround more than you should just to see around the corner, rotation seem to be faster when you are facing the wall making the turns even weirder - and aiming less controllable. It feels totally unnatural. Same thing with the map - which floats somewhere in front of you. Instead of creating a fixed map layout in the center of the screen you must often rotate your character to get the screen in sight, which is a consequence of the stupid shoulder view. You think it's fine? Well it's not. It's crippled.

I guess the 1st time I played it I dealt with it in an OK-ish manner because of the atmosphere. But this bonus doesn't exist a 2nd time. And now I also recall the commander person always running away from you instead of teaming up. Because he has something oh-so-important to do. And even then he loses track of the woman (who was most likely standing right beside him). It's like he aimlessly runs around like a fucktard. Sorry, can't play that anymore. Even Clive Barkers Jericho did not feature such stupidities.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's made smoother in the two sequels, which were treated more as shooters. The original game did the Resident Evil thing of making it somewhat more cumbersome on purpose to ratchet up the scary. If you hate it fine, I get it, but it was done for a reason not just because derp.

i always thought the perspective of aiming was purposedly skewed because isaac is a gorram welder, not the latest supersoldier.
once you learn to manage your aim, isaac does too.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I had many issues with mouse sensitivity and acceleration in dead space, but I found the rest of the controls to be fine.

Machocruz

Arcane
One of the few popamoles I liked. Not challenging or deep, but there is some danger and a refreshing lack of health regen and icons flashing all over the screen. Production values were top notch at the time, so it was a good pick for someone who wanted to graphic whore but not have their intelligence insulted and wanted something that was an actual game. Sometimes you just want a Might and Magic instead of a Wizardry.

DemonKing

Arcane
You couldn't remap the controls in the original PC version to certain keys (like the numpad) which meant that unless you liked the default configuration you were somewhat borked. I had to use a key remapping program to get it to work the way I wanted but other than that it was a pretty decent game, as was the second to a lesser degree. I haven't played #3 as I'm waiting for a decent sale.

https://www.widescreenfixer.org/ I'm replaying DS1 and using this utility to improve FOV (using 0.2 in "Add to field of view" slider), it's quite a bit better. Should also work with DS2.
Also using 360 pad now only because never played it with pad before and gotta say it makes the game much harder. "Hard" difficulty is actually occasionally challenging with it, whereas with kb/m unlockable "Impossible" is pretty much the only way to play. Is that what people mean when they say PC controls suck? Because they are so much easier than pad controls?

:necro:

Just beat Dead Space 1, first time through.

BIG production values.

Reminded me of SOMA.

Fuck, I preferred SOMA by a good deal.

Dead Space 1 was sorta boring actually, kinda like the first FEAR.

pippin

I don't believe it's boring, but the first Fear gets very repetitive once you realize it's still a linear shooter with a very limited selection of weapons and enemies. It's not insultingly bad or popamole, just a bit overrated.

I agree, linear = bad. Games are only ever linear because dumb developers failed to make them non linear. There's obviously no reason for any game to be linear.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
:necro:

Just beat Dead Space 1, first time through.

BIG production values.

Reminded me of SOMA.

Fuck, I preferred SOMA by a good deal.

Dead Space 1 was sorta boring actually, kinda like the first FEAR.

Dead Space 3 is the best in the franchise.

:troll:

I don't believe it's boring, but the first Fear gets very repetitive once you realize it's still a linear shooter with a very limited selection of weapons and enemies. It's not insultingly bad or popamole, just a bit overrated.

Linearity in FPS's is the industry standard.

Dead Space is a bit more than just linear though.

Every level drops you off at the exact same train station, just with some of the loot shuffled around.

Past the train station is the level's hub, with a store, savepoint, and bench somewhere nearby.

Let's compare Dead Space to another ultra-linear shooter, Metro Redux.

Metro, while linear, on rails, and full of QTE's, offers incredible variety.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
As far as linearity goes, F.E.A.R. was a pretty typical shooter from its era (one of the last, in fact), meaning that it was mostly linear but not just a corridor — there was enough room that the AI could flank you, temporarily fall back or do some basic teamwork, which is something you can't really have when you're limited to a corridor. After F.E.A.R. that school of shooters has all but died, as you usually get either an extremely scripted corridor or an open world where the AI only sits behind a box and occasionally pops up begging for a headshot.

I don't think the game was all that great as whole, to be honest. The combat was great, and the AI had a few neat tricks up its sleeve (which is another thing you don't see anymore), but it suffered from a boring setting and story, lack of enemy variety, repetitive level design (office complex, warehouse, office complex...) and tacked-on horror elements that added nothing of value to the game. It's still good because it gets the most important part right, but I always felt it was a bit of a missed opportunity otherwise.

As for Dead Space, it's been sitting unused on my hard drive for a couple of years at least. Maybe I should finally give it a go.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Every level drops you off at the exact same train station, just with some of the loot shuffled around.

Past the train station is the level's hub, with a store, savepoint, and bench somewhere nearby.

Not really. And the shooting sections of Metro are too broken up by the QTE's and vehicle stuff. I'm pretty sure I quit shortly after that section where you had to keep getting on and off the cart, clear out a room of spider things, repeat, etc. Dead Space's limb severing combat was far more entertaining. And I used the default cutter 90% of the time.

Not really. And the shooting sections of Metro are too broken up by the QTE's and vehicle stuff. I'm pretty sure I quit shortly after that section where you had to keep getting on and off the cart, clear out a room of spider things, repeat, etc. Dead Space's limb severing combat was far more entertaining. And I used the default cutter 90% of the time.

That brings up another problem with Dead Space.

The weapon choices are abitrary.

I didn't experience a genuine need for any weapon other than the plasma cutter.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that aside from linearity, it's the repetitiveness of Dead Space that is tedious.

Linearity + repetitiveness in FPS's makes them boring as hell.

At least the node upgrades offered some variation and the zero gravity rooms were fun and original.

Deleted member 7219

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are very good and very atmospheric.

I'm trying to get through Dead Space 3 but it is a fucking chore. They got rid of the atmosphere by putting in monsters, monsters, monsters. Monsters running at you ALL THE TIME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom