Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't believe it's boring, but the first Fear gets very repetitive once you realize it's still a linear shooter with a very limited selection of weapons and enemies. It's not insultingly bad or popamole, just a bit overrated.

Linearity in FPS's is the industry standard.

Dead Space is a bit more than just linear though.

Every level drops you off at the exact same train station, just with some of the loot shuffled around.

Past the train station is the level's hub, with a store, savepoint, and bench somewhere nearby.

Let's compare Dead Space to another ultra-linear shooter, Metro Redux.

Metro, while linear, on rails, and full of QTE's, offers incredible variety.
Not really. And the shooting sections of Metro are too broken up by the QTE's and vehicle stuff. I'm pretty sure I quit shortly after that section where you had to keep getting on and off the cart, clear out a room of spider things, repeat, etc. Dead Space's limb severing combat was far more entertaining. And I used the default cutter 90% of the time.

That brings up another problem with Dead Space.

The weapon choices are abitrary.

I didn't experience a genuine need for any weapon other than the plasma cutter.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that aside from linearity, it's the repetitiveness of Dead Space that is tedious.

Linearity + repetitiveness in FPS's makes them boring as hell.

At least the node upgrades offered some variation and the zero gravity rooms were fun and original.
I'm not saying Dead Space is an amazing game -- it isn't. But it's combat beats Metro by a wide margin. If you're breaking up linearity with QTE's and cinematic walking junkets then you're really not breaking up linearity. All you're doing is slowing down the pace of the game.

Silva

Arcane
Dead Space 1 is only good because it monkeys System Shock. Dead Space 2 and 3 tried to do their own thing and are shitty because of that.

Someone cited Soma above. It has nothing to do with any DS game, and is better than all of them.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Dead Space was very good fun. Loved the atmosphere and the gunplay.

Dead Space 1 is only good because it monkeys System Shock. Dead Space 2 and 3 tried to do their own thing and are shitty because of that.

Someone cited Soma above. It has nothing to do with any DS game, and is better than all of them.

SOMA is superior in scares, atmosphere, and story.

It reminded me a bit of Dead Space, but there are other games I could put in the same category such as Bioshock.

Frictional Games in general will probably go down as my top 3 videogame developers of all time.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are very good and very atmospheric.

I'm trying to get through Dead Space 3 but it is a fucking chore. They got rid of the atmosphere by putting in monsters, monsters, monsters. Monsters running at you ALL THE TIME.

I'm about to try the 2 sequels myself.

I would rate Dead Space #1 - 7.5/10

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dead Space 2 and 3 tried to do their own thing and are shitty because of that.

Dead Space 2 improved weapon balance and anti-gravity sections at the expense of level design.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

It reminded me a bit of Dead Space, but there are other games I could put in the same category such as Bioshock.

Frictional Games in general will probably go down as my top 3 videogame developers of all time.
If only they made games.

If only they made games.

Hiking sims to you I take it?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are very good and very atmospheric.

I'm trying to get through Dead Space 3 but it is a fucking chore. They got rid of the atmosphere by putting in monsters, monsters, monsters. Monsters running at you ALL THE TIME.

DS3 is shit. Don't bother.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
In my opinion DS3 is not even shit, it is just boring and mindless. I've reached chapter 7 or 8 and just gave up because of countless enemies that are almost constantly thrown at the player by developers. The visuals are fine, the winterish atmosphere is really cool, but holy fucking shit - playing this game is tiring. DS1 was really fun althought in later chapters number of baddies was getting too high. Second one is somewhere between the first one and last one.

Mozg

Arcane
DS assets and core gameplay are good. Too bad they're trapped in a middle era Xbox360 AAA game design.

I wish there were a tradition of newer midtier devs that could buy up old assets to make new games with cheaply, like hollywood B movies buying old props.

Deleted member 7219

In my opinion DS3 is not even shit, it is just boring and mindless. I've reached chapter 7 or 8 and just gave up because of countless enemies that are almost constantly thrown at the player by developers. The visuals are fine, the winterish atmosphere is really cool, but holy fucking shit - playing this game is tiring. DS1 was really fun althought in later chapters number of baddies was getting too high. Second one is somewhere between the first one and last one.

I will defend Dead Space 2 quite happily. It still had atmospheric sections like the first game had - one memorable section for me being the Unitology stuff - and some outstanding set pieces. It was a little bit like Aliens compared to Alien in that regard, although as you say, DS1 had its fair share of combat too.

Another good thing about Dead Space 2 was how fucking crazy Isaac was getting as the game progressed (well, actually, from the very start seeing as he escapes from a straitjacket). The hallucinations are really well done.

I liked both DS1 and 2. DS3 was only fun when co-oping with friend, otherwise inferior to first two in every way.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I will defend Dead Space 2 quite happily. It still had atmospheric sections like the first game had - one memorable section for me being the Unitology stuff - and some outstanding set pieces. It was a little bit like Aliens compared to Alien in that regard
I've seen this before and I never agreed. The difference is that Aliens was an excellent action movie. DS2 had more action, but it did every single element, both action and otherwise, worse than DS1: worse atmosphere, completely on-rails linearity (DS1 wasn't exactly nonlinear, but it did go against modern standards of linearity quite a bit), QTEs, ruining the spacewalking segments (flames and sounds in space, yay! DS1 wasn't exactly hard SF but the little touches like these added tremendously to the atmosphere), worse gunplay, they even managed to make a completely retarded story, and DS1's wasn't stellar to begin with.

I don't even want to find out how bad DS3 is if it's worse than DS2.

Mozg

Arcane
So if I try Dead Space 1 on PC, is it supposed to feel like I'm trying to steer a battleship if I attempt to move and turn at the same time even with the mouse on the highest sensitivity? Vsync is off. I'm asking because I dunno if the game is just designed like that or what. Even just checking both directions of the hallway at a T-intersection is incredibly cumbersome.

it should be. it's a survival horror and the main character is a welder, not a fighter by a long chance.
maybe they're just bad controls, but somehow make sense anyway.

Mozg

Arcane
It's manageable early on and I could imagine the game being designed to be played with cumbersome controls a la old tank style Resident Evil, but if there are some real action game encounters eventually I don't want to be miserable just because I don't know it's a shit port.

You don't need to have v sync off, just enable it from gpu control panel (applies to all 3 DS games). Unless you are one of those weirdos who do not notice screen tearing. Aiming is inferior to Dead Space II but playable enough, didn't have big problems even on Impossible difficulty.

Mozg

Arcane
Man I fukkin know shit like that I just wanna know if the controls are supposed to be how they is wif a mouse

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Mouse aiming kind of sucks in DS1 by design but gets much better in 2. Don't bother with 3.

The best thing I've found in DS1 is to limit the framerate somehow to 60. Just setting vsync on can give high framerates that slow down mouse movement too much, because the game is really well optimized and easily gave me multiples of 60 on a previous card with vsync forced in the control panel.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Mouse aiming kind of sucks in DS1 by design but gets much better in 2. Don't bother with 3.

The best thing I've found in DS1 is to limit the framerate somehow to 60. Just setting vsync on can give high framerates that slow down mouse movement too much, because the game is really well optimized and easily gave me multiples of 60 on a previous card with vsync forced in the control panel.

This is the right answer. DS 1 has mouse control issues when running over 60 fps. If you can hard cap the frame rate under your graphics control panel through v-sync or otherwise you'll likely see improvement. Controllers work okay too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom