Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Straight man talking about his dead girlfriend: okay
Gay man talking about his dead boyfriend: PANDERING, AGENDA

I will laugh if "You're gay?" results in getting a lecture, assuming they actually leave it in.

Well that's the problem. The answer to "you're gay" results in a lecture of some sort more often than not. That's why people think there's an agenda.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Since any discussion about this results in "ZOMG homophobe" retardedness, let me give an analogous situation to demonstrate how ridiculous the treatment is.

Like it isn't obvious.. the guy called him his boyfriend and the dialog option is 'You're gay??' Isn't that obvious? Why does the conversation have to center around gayness as a concept instead of just dealing with the guy as a character?

It's like product placement in movies. Yes, Pepsi exists, people drink it and who gives a fuck? Imagine the same scene with someone having a drink.

"I sent my boyfriend to get me a Pepsi."

'Get you a Pepsi?"

"He doesn't like cola but think it makes me sweeter."

"Do you like Pepsi??"

This is what I am talking about.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Isn't that obvious?
heh, that is quite a common response, really. incidentally, so is "you're straight??" if you hang out with some gay friends and their buddies who don't know you.
i don't think they tried to push some agenda, it's just that the dialogues are pretty derpy as such, and very awkward in a lot of places.
Talking about Dead State in the Dead State thread is a derailment?
dead state? we're talking about the hidden gay agenda and how the libruls are forcing innocent indie devs into promoting it, fool.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yeah I haven't even played DS but we can see it many places. What really grinds my gears is transparent attempts at social engineering or opinion shaping, regardless of who's message it is.

Tytus

Arcane
Gay population is about 3-4% in any given country, that's about 10 mln people in the US, but there around 300 mln people that are straight. Now, zombie apocalypse happens and 99.9% of the society is turned into flesh eating monsters that are slowly rotting away. So statistically speaking a chances for not being zombified for a gay dude are looking a lot bleaker than a straight guy. My shitty math alone shows that there would be a lot more straight people alive than gays (if any). So putting in a gay dude into the story is a conscious decision. This isn't a situation well gays just exists deal with it - this is how world works - this is - majority of the world is non dead, but this gay guy managed to survive despite the odds being against him.

It would be comparable to a situation if the game was set in Warsaw where we have some black population (but really small) - a zombie apocalypse happaned and the creators would put a black guy into your party because there were blacks in the city. Would it be pushing some equality agenda or would be it - yeah we have some guys from Africa, deal with it? Even if the chances of a blacks suriving longer than whites was a lot lower, because there is just a lot less of them?

:incloosive:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Gay population is about 3-4% in any given country, that's about 10 mln people in the US, but there around 300 mln people that are straight. Now, zombie apocalypse happens and 99.9% of the society is turned into flesh eating monsters that are slowly rotting away. So statistically speaking a chances for not being zombified for a gay dude are looking a lot bleaker than a straight guy.

What?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dead State takes place in a suburb near a city. IME there are plenty of gay people around cities.

In fact my new neighbors are dykes. Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Gay population is about 3-4% in any given country, that's about 10 mln people in the US, but there around 300 mln people that are straight.
3-4% just means any given character has a 0.033 to 0.04 probability of being gay, and during zombie apocalypse the standard deviation would probably be also very high, since just going by gay disregards personality traits and situations that would have a strong effect on survival. plus perceived gay distribution is much higher and then there is the fact that all media overrepresent atypical groups because they make for more interesting characters.
Now, zombie apocalypse happens and 99.9% of the society is turned into flesh eating monsters that are slowly rotting away. So statistically speaking a chances for not being zombified for a gay dude are looking a lot bleaker than a straight guy. My shitty math alone shows that there would be a lot more straight people alive than gays (if any).
disregarding anything else, the chances for any given gay guy to survive would be exactly the same as the chances for any given straight guy: 1 to 99, or 0.01 probability.
So putting in a gay dude into the story is a conscious decision. This isn't a situation well gays just exists deal with it - this is how world works - this is - majority of the world is non dead, but this gay guy managed to survive despite the odds being against him.
um, the odds are HIGHLY against any of the characters you come into contact with surviving, yet there they are. if you disregard possible effects of sexuality on survival chance, the distributions of gays vs straights would still be pretty much the same after the apocalypse, meaning 1 in 25 to 33 or so people would still be totally gay.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing unusual here is that a gay dude in Texas would choose to be openly gay.

So when is this game going to be relesed for real? Supposedly they were talking about summer, but after playing the beta I doubt it will come out before winter.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, that's pretty terrible compared to the likes of Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout, his own performances in Bloodlines, or even ToEE. He sounds bored because he is.

Anyway time for :incloosive:
ss_fbcb399ffba0d2fe311e9d39e420d04e58de9fe7.1920x1080.jpg
Codex-approved alternative:

1. [HHR] Did you know that change is possible? Let me tell you about powerful testimonies from homosexual freed by Jesus.
2. [:fap to anything:] What else did he like? Come on, man, tell me. Did you like take turns or what?
3. You happy now, you fucking faggot? It's people like you who caused all this shit!
4. [SJW] You're gay? You have any idea how offensive it is? Being gay means you hate women so much that you'd rather fuck another man in the ass than be with a woman!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
1. [HHR] Did you know that change is possible? Let me tell you about powerful testimonies from homosexual freed by Jesus.
2. [:fap to anything:] What else did he like? Come on, man, tell me. Did you like take turns or what?
3. You happy now, you fucking faggot? It's people like you who caused all this shit!
4. [SJW] You're gay? You have any idea how offensive it is? Being gay means you hate women so much that you'd rather fuck another man in the ass than be with a woman!
i'd play that. especially if the hhr route would be as rewarding in terms of conclusion as the true evil path in motb.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only thing unusual here is that a gay dude in Texas would choose to be openly gay.
Depends on where in Texas.
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2009/11/age1.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...as_presidential_election_results_2012.svg.png

So when is this game going to be relesed for real? Supposedly they were talking about summer, but after playing the beta I doubt it will come out before winter.
They haven't released an official date, but they said it has to come out this year.

Gozma

Arcane
Is this fun at all as a game yet? I kindaaaaaa want in on it but not if it's completely wrecked and placeholdery because I have zero drive to do any useful beta testing.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Is this fun at all as a game yet? I kindaaaaaa want in on it but not if it's completely wrecked and placeholdery because I have zero drive to do any useful beta testing.

No.

DefJam101

Arcane
Less retarded dialog would be this guy mentioning his dead partner, who is later on revealed to be a man. Then instead of retarded dialog options such as "you're gay?" or "give money please" the player can opt to console the dude or say nothing. Maybe one of your other survivormen happens to be homophobe. Boom, subplot. This is not rocket science.

Also, since we're on the topic of gay people:

Now that games have started including non-heterosexual characters is it so fucking hard to include at least one closeted LGBT character? Just one? I suppose it makes sense for many people to be openly gay in a modern or post-apoc setting like this but even games set ostensibly in the middle ages seem to have loud n' proud gay / bisexual casts. If you're trying to be respectful and inclusive please at least pay some margin of respect to the fucking millions of men and women throughout history who hid this aspect of their character from the world for their entire lives, many of them fearing public humiliation or worse. For fuck's sake.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Moebius has a closeted ex-military dude as one of the protagonists.

DefJam101

Arcane
Now that games have started including non-heterosexual characters is it so fucking hard to include at least one closeted LGBT character? Just one?
Obvious question: how do you know they haven't? :M
Unless you subtly reveal or imply the character's sexuality, it's not actually in the story. It's simply unknown.

And no, you don't need to have "that conversation" just because you include a gay character in your story, especially when having that conversation makes no sense in the time period and/or setting.

For instance, suppose you're making a dark fantasy RPG, and you want to include a gay character. Maybe instead of expressing this through blunt, simplistic dialog, you can have a scene where your party comes across some guards yanking two women along in shackles, and when you ask the guards what these women did wrong, they tell you the pair are to be burned at the stake for having homosexual relations. At this point you can include a quick cut-away shot of that one member of your party (who was earlier implied to have lost a loved one, and who never seems to show any interest in the opposite sex) staring blankly off into nowhere like someone just shot his dog. Oh my god it's almost like you said something notable about a character without hammering shitty dialog into the player's skull

But maybe this would make gay people upset, or something? I dunno? I guess no one wants anything bad happen to non-orc, non-chaotic evil characters in a fantasy story?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gay population is about 3-4% in any given country, that's about 10 mln people in the US, but there around 300 mln people that are straight. Now, zombie apocalypse happens and 99.9% of the society is turned into flesh eating monsters that are slowly rotting away. So statistically speaking a chances for not being zombified for a gay dude are looking a lot bleaker than a straight guy.

What?
He failed at statistics.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless you subtly reveal or imply the character's sexuality, it's not actually in the story. It's simply unknown.
Hmm. OK. That seems like an oddly specific thing to be all pissed off about, but I'm into it. Shine on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom