Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I fucking hope not, as flawed as this is, its still miles better than poe.

He made it pretty clear in the postmortem that they're done with RPGs. Not worth it. They're going full-"indie" to fit in with their new friends.

Cassidy

Arcane
They're going full-"indie" to fit in with their new friends.

DoubleBear Presents: Chronic Depression The Game, featuring a trans-ethnic transgendered non-ableist's ultimate effort to overcome PTSD from jazz hands and reading things in the Internet.

10/10 in all Gawker Media reviews.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He made it pretty clear in the postmortem that they're done with RPGs. Not worth it. They're going full-"indie" to fit in with their new friends.
True? I remember he said RPGs are a pain in the ass, but I can't say it sounded like he was quitting them. I don't know, maybe I just refused to see what I didn't want to.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
True? I remember he said RPGs are a pain in the ass, but I can't say it sounded like he was quitting them. I don't know, maybe I just refused to see what I didn't want to.
I was also given the impression that they were giving up on RPGs. Not worth the time, effort and money.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Indies with literally one game mechanic and kitschy graphics sell much better than games that try and fail in some areas to deliver fully fledged experiences. Indies are poison, but it's easy(ier) money.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
DB is not abandoning RPGs. It will focus on other types of games for a while, but the itch to make another RPG is there. From Brian's post:

"We’d love to make another RPG the future, but unless sales say otherwise, we may have to stick to non-RPGs - which is okay, we like those too, but for RPG fans, more options is always a good thing."

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6479.0.html

lightbane

Arcane
About time. Now it's my opportunity to download the game and play it while I wait for Underrail :troll:
Seriously though, I liked DS' demo, but I wanted to wait for the final release a patch like this before playing. Hopefully now I can craft multiple items of the same kind at once, the lack of that option was one of the things I missed in the demo.

naossano

Cipher
I doubt mister Mitsoda just discovered that RPG were a pain in the ass to make.
All players know that it is much much harder to make a game with branching stories and player agency. And this guy isn't average player. He was rpg develloper for years.
So i doesn't sound like quitting...

Morkar Left

He's basically saying it was a financial failure considering the time spent on it. It's more economical sane to make other, less complicated games in a shorter time by expected equal sales.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
We hope that you’ll agree that there’s never been a better time to visit Splendid, Texas.
Oh I most definitely agree, my good sir.
Download at 44%...
:bounce:

And I do it like Roguey, I don't touch unfinished games anymore. And I don't care if the patches are necessary or optional, as long as the developer is polishing the game I won't touch it. New golden rule of mine.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Damn now i have to find time to play this game. Really digging the effort you guys put up despite all the initial hate for the game.

Perkel

Arcane
Damn now i have to find time to play this game. Really digging the effort you guys put up despite all the initial hate for the game.

yeah. State of the game in which was released didn't help really and whole fiasco with trying to fuck with user reviews probably hurt more them than it was worth (who could have know ? :roll: )

yeah. State of the game in which was released didn't help really and whole fiasco with trying to fuck with user reviews probably hurt more them than it was worth (who could have know ? :roll: )
Yeah, their whole Steam policy was PR disaster. Still, even after release and with numerous bugs and balance issues game was surprisingly interesting, at least for the first half. Last half though... Ugh. Still, if I'd to rate Kickstarter RPGs which came out this two years, Dead State would get the second place, right after Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Doktor Best

Arcane
AFAIK the cencorship thing was blown out of proportion. it was about one dude who kept reposting the same negative review dozens of times. He was reported to steam support and they banned him, developers themselves dont even have the ability to delete those reviews.

I really dont understand those freaks who devote their lifes to spamming metacritic or other rating platforms to downvote a game they dislike. Just write one negative review and be done with it god damnit... Its that sorta self entitlement that something you personally dislike should get bad overall grades which ridicules those platforms and make them infact less reliable. Same goes for the fanboys doing the opposite ofcourse.

Whiran

Magister
AFAIK the cencorship thing was blown out of proportion. it was about one dude who kept reposting the same negative review dozens of times. He was reported to steam support and they banned him, developers themselves dont even have the ability to delete those reviews.

I really dont understand those freaks who devote their lifes to spamming metacritic or other rating platforms to downvote a game they dislike. Just write one negative review and be done with it god damnit... Its that sorta self entitlement that something you personally dislike should get bad overall grades which ridicules those platforms and make them infact less reliable. Same goes for the fanboys doing the opposite ofcourse.
It turns out that having a developer going off on rants about their customers isn't good for sales. Who knew?

"MurderBlonde" (Annie V. Mitsoda) had a fair bit to do with the market failure of this game. The launch of this game makes for an interesting case study on what NOT to do when launching a game.

One should not launch a buggy game. While bugs in games are pretty much accepted the number of them still impacts sales.

That negative impact gets compounded when developers complain loudly and publicly about their own customers and that buggy software is okay to release.

Then compound that negative with silly tweets... and, yeah, you get a PR disaster that strongly impacted sales.

The whole release of this game was a mess. That mess will linger for a very long time (as it has.) There may be opportunity later on to re-release the game (if they make an expansion for it for example) as a rebranded version of the game that isn't super buggy and doesn't come with a developer who goes out of their way to piss off their customers.

Maybe when the game is finally in a release state they could do this but, unfortunately, they dug their hole and the moment of being in the spotlight was wasted by the actions of their own team member.

Perkel

Arcane
Probably will dive into that after TW3. Currently playing Dragon Age Orgins with few mods..

:happytrollboy:

Mortmal

Arcane
I was also given the impression that they were giving up on RPGs. Not worth the time, effort and money.

They said their next game is not a rpg , not that they are abandoning the genre forever. But if this one did not sell, its probably the case. They released way too early they got one chance and only one chance that's all .No matter the improvements and how good the game is now. Too much efforts for no reward, a shame as I had more fun playing this than POE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom