Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or an ex-member of the Toronto Raptors

Quigs

Magister
Bought it last night. Been on the fence, but the update along with the GOG sale convinced me. Got a few minor complaints.

1. I know it's only 2 minutes long, but being able to skip the plane crash would help.

2. The game tells us about lockpicking and it being tied to a mechanical skill, but we don't actually learn how to do it until we find a lockpick. I spent (too much) time going through inventories and menus and character screens trying to figure out how to drag my mechanics skill out onto the main screen to pick a lock that I didn't even know I couldn't actually pick yet. Starting with a single lockpick would alleviate this and I can't imagine it'd unbalance things terribly.

3. When I cleared the first two locations and came back to the safehouse, it was barely noon. I'd already seen several messages about getting in before 8pm, and maximizing each day. There really isn't anywhere else to go, so the day feels wasted right off the bat. Further, I'm told that I need to bring back supplies to fix the fence, because it's desperately needed. However, I don't get the job board and the options to put someone on fence duty until after I've slept and taken a massive morale hit for not having the fence built. While I don't mind the occasional penalty for something out of my control, that initial hit to morale and lack of productivity day one really annoyed me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can I just shoot all these guys? Bloody whiners complaining even when fence is in a decent state.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So do I get bows and arrows anywhere or must they be made?
There are definitely bows around to find, but not many. If you're eager to get one, I suggest getting your crafting game together.

Can I just shoot all these guys? Bloody whiners complaining even when fence is in a decent state.
No, you can't execute people outright just for being annoying. However, sending a guy into a dark alley filled with zombies and "regrettably" deciding not to save him is, I believe, an intended decision-making part of the experience.
devil_emoticon.gif

razvedchiki

Erudite
you can get them as loot,but you can also make arrows after a certain upgrade in the selter.

one strategy i thought but never did was to have 2-3 squad members which are strong on ranged and equip them with bows/crossbows.
that way i could clear an area from zombies much faster and safer,especially when you are playing on hardcore/ironman.

I found a few bows on survivors.

EVUL!EVUL!

i usually left other neutral survivors(neutral means they dont fire you on sight) alone,even if they had better stuff than mine.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last time I checked on this, everyone was complaining about bugs, game-breaking balance issues (armor) and lackluster endgame.
A few months have passed since. Can anyone give me a heads-up whether they fixed this stuff yet? Is the game already as good as it should be?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Bought it when Reanimated came out, completed it. 8/10.
Some bugs/comments:

Bugs:
Stairs in Austin, good that it will be fixed.
Sir Charleston left and I get a talk from Davis every day telling me that he left.
Gillian is not giving me 2 fuel everyday that I told her to look for, or I am suppose to assign her to rest or something?

Other things:
Turns take too long due to:
1: cycling through every non-active zombie
2: Mobs who cannot reach their target spend their AP moving back and forth over 2 squares.
Grenades are overpowered, 4AP, longer range than sniper rifle, 100% hit chance, area damage, pierce damage. Range should be at least shortened, same for the gas grenades. I think it is 18 tiles while sniper rifles are 15.
KO people block their ally path making it easy to pick off the rest off with ranged weapons.
Wish there is a way to craft multiple items or continuous craft.
Consumables like drugs should be in the unique or some other category in the storeroom. Currently I have to search through the whole store.
Wish there is better sorting/stacking in storeroom.

One of my favourite games, some flaws but overall good.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Patch is up, fix for the stairs in Austin among other fixes, plus localization options. No other languages yet, but I know the russian community was working on one.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The last Dead State review:

I have requested my money back on this game. I consider it an Early Access game that requires additional work. Reasons why it is early access:

Game Balancing issues:
Morale Penalties are crippling
It is easy to get injured, and you are out several days unable to collect food, so your team starves.
Combat is very hard - I could forgive this if there weren't the other 2 issues

Design:
This probably won't be fixed, but they really should simplify shelter management. Manually walking everywhere is not fun. If you had some shelter management screens instead, it would be much better.

Reason to like it:
I really love the concept. The problem is the implementation. Maybe a year from now, they will have a more balanced game.
Translation: I want a game without penalties where it's very hard (preferably impossible) to get injured.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
The shelter management is by far the best part of the game. The number of people available and their interactions/requests were of a much larger scope than I was expecting. The part I want them to streamline is the scavenging. It's fun in some of the smaller maps with more humans, but it is a chore when there are lots and lots of zombies; the inactive cycling and general slow pace of combat really detracts from exploration.

I've been playing for awhile now and I've got a pretty solid setup (~25 survivors, plenty of high end guns and armour, most upgrades) but I am lacking somebody with the skills for both mechanical and science, and without that I can't create the science lab. Davis is pretty close but I am wondering if there is anybody on the map? I can't assign any jobs to myself, unless I don't want to scavenge for a couple of weeks and starve.

lightbane

Arcane
I recommend to do it yourself (as in with your MC). High level Science AND Mechanical characters take too damn long to appear and the S. Lab requires both. Fun fact: if the leader of a construction project has the necessary skills, the other survivors don't need to match all of the requirements to cooperate, it's enough if they have a minimum of Science and/or Mechanical points (depends on the project). Therefore, what I did in my (still ongoing) playthrough was to dogpile everyone remotely able to wield a wrench, building the damn lab in 2/3 days tops instead of taking weeks. Then you can shove your scientists inside and create your favorite explosive/ammunition of your choice.

What's more, I may post my impressions about this game in a few days after I finish compiling the gathered data/complains/criticisms so far.

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
“The Making of Dead State” book has been released.

The book is chock-full of behind-the-scenes insights, stories, and surprising facts. Learn about how different team members work, find out the origin story behind DoubleBear Productions and Dead State, and read about the trials and tribulations of everyday indie game development. A lot of work and love went into “The Making of Dead State” and we think it shows, so please enjoy the read and let us know what you think!

Backers, check your e-mail for link.

171 pages.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I have requested my money back on this game. I consider it an Early Access game that requires additional work. Reasons why it is early access:

Game Balancing issues:
It is easy to get injured, and you are out several days unable to collect food, so your team starves.

Design:
This probably won't be fixed, but they really should simplify shelter management. Manually walking everywhere is not fun. If you had some shelter management screens instead, it would be much better.

Reason to like it:
I really love the concept. The problem is the implementation. Maybe a year from now, they will have a more balanced game.
Translation: I want a game without penalties where it's very hard (preferably impossible) to get injured.

When can we get a keyboard shortcut to zoom in and out? i dont have a mouse wheel at work...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Game Balancing issues:

Design:

Reason to like it:

When can we get a keyboard shortcut to zoom in and out? i dont have a mouse wheel at work...
Then maybe you should fucking work instead of playing Zombie games? :obviously:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Want to be my intern you fucking mainland degenerate? You can work for me while i play horrible turn based zombie games.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't mind going back to being something like an intern to be honest. I'd love to not have responsibilities for a while and work make some crappy coffee for some asshole that plays horrible turn based zombie games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Want to be my intern you fucking mainland degenerate? You can work for me while i play horrible turn based zombie games.
Wouldn't mind going back to being something like an intern to be honest. I'd love to not have responsibilities for a while and work make some crappy coffee for some asshole that plays horrible turn based zombie games.

Job also entails pleasuring me, i assume by your effeminate writing that you are a women, possibly an ugly one...

but on your knees you will look just fine, assuming your not bald

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Want to be my intern you fucking mainland degenerate? You can work for me while i play horrible turn based zombie games.

Job also entails pleasuring me, i assume by your effeminate writing that you are a women, possibly an ugly one...

You actually believe women would come close to this place for some reason? :nocountryforshitposters:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

You actually believe women would come close to this place for some reason? :nocountryforshitposters:

Plenty of anecdotal evidence that there are at least 2 women and a pretty hot trannie on the Codex.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Perkel

Arcane

It is new fad to find places and infiltrate them.

Just look at NCAA black organization infiltrated by white woman for 10 years.
What if 90% of people here are women ?

zool

Arcane
Patch is up, fix for the stairs in Austin among other fixes, plus localization options. No other languages yet, but I know the russian community was working on one.

Where can I get this hotfix? (playing the GOG version by the way, no Steam).

Also, can it be applied midgame or do I need to start a new game?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm a few pages into the Making of Dead State and it's a laugh riot. Like how Annie cowrote it with her mom. Or how Annie gave notice to Obsidian after she and Brian signed a lease in Seattle, only for the game developer they were going to work for going bust because "the project they’d interviewed for had apparently not actually been signed, and with no publisher, the project evaporated." Or how Brian fell down the stairs but just stayed "on the couch for a couple of days" as opposed to going to a doctor because they were both unemployed and lol US health insurance. And of course

Brian Mitsoda said:
I can work long hours, I can put up with sometimes insane publisher demands, and I can try and lift the spirits of my coworkers when the chips are down – but I couldn’t stand to lose another year or two of my work because someone, somewhere at the top shrugged and pulled the trigger.

NEEDS MORE REACTIVITY BRIAN

Additionally

I didn’t necessarily want to just do RPGs or even just games, so we called it “Productions” instead of “Games”. Who knows, maybe we’ll do comics, or (if we’re really lucky) courtroom dramas one day.
I want to do some experimental games and allow my team to do the same. Assuming we have a catalogue of titles funding us, we can make that a very real possibility down the line.

Get ready for Gone Home: DoubleBear Edition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom