Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
Yeah, but with two people with little experience, working off their own funds... a "different theme" was all this had going for it. As you say, imagine if it *was* high fantasy.

Imagine if it was both. They would be rolling in money

DungeonsZombies.jpg

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I am afraid the game is so bad that no 'controversy' can save it. I mean, I played worst games in my life, but Dead State has to be the worst of 2014.

Gozma

Arcane
Zombiefighting in TB was my #1 fear for something that would turn DS into a click-slog

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If 2 dead bodies are in the same square, how do you get to the 2nd body? Is there a Move the top body out of the way button?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If 2 dead bodies are in the same square, how do you get to the 2nd body? Is there a Move the top body out of the way button?
I wish. You have to crawl the mouse over it and try to find a pixel of the 'under' body that's accessible. Just watch for the cursor name to change from Bloody Girl to Dead Pharmacist. Usually this works; sometimes it doesn't and the 'top' corpse completely covers the other one.

Eventually I learned to try to kill zombies in different spots and/or from different angles so they don't lie directly on top of one another.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately they seem to have landed exactly at the same exact spot, so I cant access the 2nd body at all (and I am pretty sure he has a gun). :RAGE:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately they seem to have landed exactly at the same exact spot, so I cant access the 2nd body at all (and I am pretty sure he has a gun). :RAGE:
Usually Dead Cops and so forth will have like 2 bullets and no gun - in fact I don't remember if I ever found a gun on a zombie corpse - but the bug is still worth :raging: about.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, zombies don't have lootble stuff, which sucks. police zombies should sometimes have handguns, soldier zombies should sometimes have dogtags, ex-looters could have some hand weapons or more food as well.

Lhynn

Arcane
Usually Dead Cops and so forth will have like 2 bullets and no gun - in fact I don't remember if I ever found a gun on a zombie corpse - but the bug is still worth :raging: about.
Yeah, whats strange is that fallout 2 solved the issue with many boddies overlaping in the last century, didnt it?

Zombra

Patron
yeah, zombies don't have lootble stuff, which sucks. police zombies should sometimes have handguns, soldier zombies should sometimes have dogtags, ex-looters could have some hand weapons or more food as well.
Eh? Sure they do. Soldiers have bullets, pharmacists have antibiotics, Dead Cyclists have bicycle helmets, etc., not all the time, but sometimes. Your search fu is weak :)
I can deal with cops not having guns because what do you suppose they were doing just before the horde got them? No Texas cop worth his salt would die with his gun in his holster.

Yeah, whats strange is that fallout 2 solved the issue with many boddies overlaping in the last century, didnt it?
Interesting point ... and Dead State already has the 'right click to change cursor function' thing happening. Seems like they might adapt that pretty easily to flip through 'loot Bloody Boy' and 'loot Failed Survivor'.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting point ... and Dead State already has the 'right click to change cursor function' thing happening. Seems like they might adapt that pretty easily to flip through 'loot Bloody Boy' and 'loot Failed Survivor'.

They could do something even simpler and just have the inventories of colliding bodies merge.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I can deal with cops not having guns because what do you suppose they were doing just before the horde got them?
using the shotguns from their trunks rather than their puny siderms. the loot tables for zombies are still pretty fucked, especially for soldier zeds. generally i'd say the game should have less container and more zombie loot.

Zombra

Patron
using the shotguns from their trunks rather than their puny siderms. the loot tables for zombies are still pretty fucked, especially for soldier zeds. generally i'd say the game should have less container and more zombie loot.
I prefer less zombie loot - suits the genre better when 'clear cutting' isn't profitable. Makes me feel good about sneaking past.

using the shotguns from their trunks rather than their puny siderms.
Oh come now. You've seen the movies. They do that for a while, then run out of shotgun shells, no time to reload, panic, the horde is closing in, the pistol comes hastily out and a few futile shots thunk into the relentless flesh of the dead, they grab him, the last shot fires helplessly into the air, and then ... fade to black over the screams.

cw8

Cipher
61 hours in. I'm either late middle game or near endgame. This game has the potential to be one of the best games this year, too bad about its combat, stupid armour system and some design choices holding it back. Zombies are of no challenge once you get some decent weapons even when they come in big numbers. They quickly become a chore. You can however pull off fancy stuff, at times, like throwing a firecracker into a group of looters, then running away and have the zombies take care of them like I posted earlier, that's pretty much the only respite from the chore of zombie killing, except you can't do that all the time. Getting stucked in endless combat turn because some retarded zombie heard you from the 2nd storey of a damn motel while you're at the ground floor courtyard is silly, so is mowing through the whole multi-storied hospital. I know the comparison's not really appropriate since it's a 3rd person game but with the same gameplay aspects, but when you see a zombie mob approach you in State of Decay, you start panicking or running away, because you can die a perm death easily even with a high level and decent weapons. The human gun totting enemies in Dead State are a decent fight but that can be countered with ballistic armour. Wish it had WL2's combat, at least the shooting part, it felt great killing enemies over there.

Love the events, love pissing off some faction people, love the group meetings over critical events, love having to take time to decide on stuff, love people coming to me to get off for the day. When I told some assholes to get lost when they threatened us for supplies, I was hoping for some base defence missions, instead I get a text report on how much damage they did to my concrete reinforced wall. Got my first murder event, was pretty awesome and all, except how the game handles it. You get a meeting immediately after the person gets murdered like it was some very nonchalant daily work related meeting, no one comes crying/screaming to you over the dead body, no investigations either, the suspects give you a single statement and you choose to convict one with no way to retract convictions. I had to reload a few times to get the real murderer who luckily admitted in his dialogue. The cool part is you get to choose how to deal with the murderer afterwards, execution, imprisonment or exile. Execution and exile makes that person disappear of course. Now the funny part is that you get no additional dialogue options with the sister of the victim, neither does she appear or interact with anyone in the murder meeting, it's as if nothing happened it her world. As a consolation, you do however get a short dialogue with her about the murder in the daily event the next day.
The backstories, messages boards, theories and CDC reports are great. You spend good time learning about what's happening around the world, the time prior to the outbreak, people panicking in message board and what experts think are the causes and cures to the zombie plague. If anything the daily events, the survivors, their interactions, the data collecting, and the upgrading of the base are what keeps me playing the game.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Alright, ive played the hell out of Dead State last night and in all honesty- I love it.
The thing that actually pisses me off a bit is the potential here that isnt/wasnt realized fully.... It really should have been moddable since with updated character models (the zombies and looters are soooo repetitive...) and other additions (like Zombie AI) this game could seriously have been one of the better games I have ever played.

I still know that I will hit a point where it will become boring but atm the encounters are still tense (sometimes even a bit scary) and Im really loving the entire idea behind this game.

-Are there any plans to make this moddable? In my opinion, that alone is the fix this needs.

I think the graphics for the outdoor areas and buildings are great- I think the base building is great- I think the "survivor" idea is great- The exploration is great- The theme is great....Ive more than gotten my moneys worth thus far and ive barely scratched the surface. Another few months of development and this would have been a classic.

imho the "hate" this game is geting is more for what could have been rather than what "is"- if that makes sense.

Oh, well- hate on... Ive been iup all night long, slamming coffee and smoking Cannabis while engrossing myself in this dangerous woirld (which is still dangerous tome right now..havnt reached the point everyone is talking about yet) and the difficulty level is perfect ATM... I havnt had this much fun in a game in quite awhile... I'm getting some sleep now...

EDIT- Ive got to add that after reading the reviews and such I was all set up for a major disappointment and had regreted my early access purchase (I purchased it but never played since I wanted to support them but didnt really want to play an alpha again)- I was pleasantly surprised. game is sweet.... Good job and thanks for making this.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Yeah, despite many, many complaints I may have, I find this game quite awesome and I have a hard time putting it down. Diamond in the rough.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah, despite many, many complaints I may have, I find this game quite awesome and I have a hard time putting it down. Diamond in the rough.

Yeah... We'll do our best to polish it ;)

Regarding modding, we'll see once the the dev process is done, we can divert resources to it now. TBH, it annoys me a little the notion of "Modders will fix it" at this stage, we released the game 3 weeks ago. We are not abandoning the game AT ALL, we'll continue to support the game with updates and improvements, taking notes of all the criticism (especially the late game balance).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Parts seem to be a bitch to find. Didn't find any on the 2nd day(?). :/ So far, so good. I wanted to fix that other thing Davis said, but don't have enough parts yet.

And I really like how the Line of Sight/Fog of war works. It is very good at evoking that OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU feeling :D

Anyways off to Day 3.... we are all probably going to die...

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Once the recycles gets built, and provided that you loot everything thats not nailed down, base construction becomes trivial. Its no longer "scavenging" per se, but just "ffs how long does it take to build this???" . The feeling of finding parts and bringing them to your base dissapears. A lot of the atmosphere and the feeling of urgency and desperation was lost there, something that could possibly be rectified easily (tweak recycler, place more parts on each zone, etc.)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As long as the scavenging missions are still fun.

I knew that drug store run was a total trap. So happy my "friends" helped out and took care of the danger. :D

cw8

Cipher
Parts seem to be a bitch to find. Didn't find any on the 2nd day(?). :/ So far, so good. I wanted to fix that other thing Davis said, but don't have enough parts yet.

And I really like how the Line of Sight/Fog of war works. It is very good at evoking that OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU feeling :D

Anyways off to Day 3.... we are all probably going to die...

You get a crapload of them off junkyards, one of the Coyotes' bases. Like they said, reliable way to get parts is from the recycler, though in Day 3 you probably don't have a lot of items to throw in it. 3lbs worth of items nets you 1 part, if I'm not wrong.

As long as the scavenging missions are still fun.

I knew that drug store run was a total trap. So happy my "friends" helped out and took care of the danger. :D

Becomes a chore eventually since you have to mow through zombies which becomes a chore. Eventually, you'll be swimming with morale and fuel and to some extent, food, depending on how many allies you have. I have about 900+ food but my allies consume 90+ a day, so it'll last about 10 days. If your survival skill is high though, you can pick food from almost everywhere on the map since the food harvesting locales pop up all over the place.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
When a big part of the game is spent in the slow ass clunky combat, it should be the first and only priority, bar game breaking bugs and crashes, to make it better.

To be honest tho, I very much doubt this engine can manage to produce good zombie encounters and combat.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom