Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hey Elhoim, could you put some light to what the plans are for DS right now? I mean further patches or anymore content? Will there be mod-tools at all?

I bought this, but am yet to play, I am hoping for a nice bug free experience and am very cynic about all game releases.

Yeah, bugs galore at this point. It's a really good game, though, but I would definitely hold off on playing. I do post regularly on the forum, and I read that the latest patch, which will supposedly fix a lot of issues in the main-game, will be released sometime this January. Additionally, they say that they first want to make sure the main game is as bug free as possible before releasing new content like new Shelter meetings, etc.

I'm just not sure how much they will be changing with the game having been released. They say new stuff will be added, but I'm not sure how much. The game really could use a lot of fixes, especially in the ally dialogue; although, mods could easily be made to put in content like new companion dialogues and stuff. I'm not sure when they'll put out the mod tools, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/552320886708396032
@Murderblonde Did I tell you I finished Dead State? I ran out of content well before the end, but overall I was very pleased. :)

I'm not surprised at all to see a strategy vet like Dave completing everything well before the end-game limit. Nor to see him sucking up to the Mitsodas. As always, it's a damn shame Bioware moved him away from game design.

imweasel

It seems like the game doesn't have enough substance to stretch itself for more than 40-50 days. You end up becoming too strong, too well equipped, and the combat system doesn't offer enough variation (aka, is not a system where you will gain more skills, you will just continue using the same ones until the end of the game). The interactions with the other characters, though interesting, doesn't seems to have enough strength to carry the game on the back without the other factors. This can be corrected if the overall difficulty of the game is increased (making it more difficult to fight, with more dangerous zombies, scarce resources, etc), or adding new systems like a) a system that force the player to spend his resources which would force him to look for more or b) deepening the combat system, so it will continue to introduce new ideas until near the end of the game.

As the game has already been "released" (lol bugs), there isn't the slightest possibility of them introduce new ideas at this point, then... They need to work urgently on the difficulty curve and resource management.
Can confirm. I am bored out of mind. I am just ending the day as quickly as possible and only going out when necessary (usually to gather food). Hopefully I finish it soon so that I can uninstall it.

The game started off pretty good, but it gets really boring after doing exactly the same shit for hours and hours. I am sick of scavenging. The UI is flawed, especially the job UI. The pathfinding is retarded and driving me nuts. Area design in buildings often feels claustrophobic. Loads of continuity problems. Fucking bugs. bla. This game needs polish badly.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Man, the Steam reviews for this game . . . . Was it some kind of concerted operation?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There is still one positive review on their front page, holding the line like Horatius Cocles on the bridge. :)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Since when do we need an extra reason to ban Andhaira?
Isn't just being him enough?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Man, the Steam reviews for this game . . . . Was it some kind of concerted operation?
Yeah, but it wasn't gate-related, someone working for DoubleBear censored a negative review, so that person told reddit and it spread from there.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, but it wasn't gate-related, someone working for DoubleBear censored a negative review, so that person told reddit and it spread from there.

Wow, I looked into it... what a shitty thing from one of the developers. I like the game, but it is flawed as hell. I'm surprised they are getting mad at criticism when they released such a buggy game.

It also shouldn't have been released from EA till this next patch comes in. The game still feels a bit like an EA with all the bugs I has.

Starwars

Arcane
They didn't censor anything as far as I'm aware (I don't think devs even have that power on STEAM?). They flagged a review for STEAM to look over and I'm unsure whether they retracted that or if STEAM didn't remove it. But it was brought to STEAMs attention again (through no intervention of the actual devs, but by community members) and STEAM decided it broke the terms of service and removed it.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Never fear... I know the game is buggy and unbalanced and the devs
have more important things to add than mod support which is why the next patch evidently will bring us....trading cards.

EDIT- From Steam....

The DoubleBear team returned from our break on Monday, and we've already jumped back into the thick of things. We have several irons in the fire right now, which are keeping our small team plenty busy:

- Working on our next update to the game!
- Creating a free demo
- Preparing for Kickstarter physical reward fulfillment
- Making all the art assets for eventual Trading Cards (a bigger task than you'd think, since that includes card images, backgrounds, emoticons, and more!)

We don't have an ETA on these just yet, but we wanted to check in with you guys and let you know we're back and working hard, as well as give you an idea what to look forward to in the future :)

We'll check in again when we have another progress update. Thanks, all!

:shunthenonbeliever:

Last edited:

cruelio

Savant
I'm really disappointed this game is so bad since like Age of Decadence I've been looking forward to it forever. Some of its problems are just mind boggling. Surely they were aware that players would very quickly get armor that let them stop taking significant damage at all except on crits, and that late enemies would also get this armor and make fighting them tedious. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. Huge disappointment. They say they're going to continue releasing updates to fix the bugs (including I guess the ones they supposedly already fixed but still exist) AND add new content but I'll believe that when I see it. It took them what, at least ~ 5 years and kickstarter just to get where they are now? Not going to fool me again.

I wonder how many of its problems are related to using the shitty Age of Decadence engine, one that in my experience seems to be even more hacked together to boot.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm really disappointed this game is so bad since like Age of Decadence I've been looking forward to it forever. Some of its problems are just mind boggling. Surely they were aware that players would very quickly get armor that let them stop taking significant damage at all except on crits, and that late enemies would also get this armor and make fighting them tedious. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. Huge disappointment. They say they're going to continue releasing updates to fix the bugs (including I guess the ones they supposedly already fixed but still exist) AND add new content but I'll believe that when I see it. It took them what, at least ~ 5 years and kickstarter just to get where they are now? Not going to fool me again.

I wonder how many of its problems are related to using the shitty Age of Decadence engine, one that in my experience seems to be even more hacked together to boot.
Yeah, I agree. It's ridiculous how long it's taking them to fix things that should've been fixed in EA. I remember people being mad that they had TONS of bugs on their forums that still needed fixing yet the still went froward and released the game. I guess the best theory is they did it for the holiday cash grab. Seriously, even after all the time they had, the game seems half-finished still. I played the "First 7 days" demo/alpha, and I have trouble making out how much different the regular game is to the fucking alpha/beta or whatever they were marketing it as.

sgm

Educated
Finally finished the game. Took a break about a week ago even though knew I was near the endgame. Just ran out of locations to visit and didn't feel like burning through a bunch of days to get to the end.

Managed to save most of my shelter. Only lost 3 people. Could have done more, but I decided to leave certain locations and groups alone. Which is weird because I killed so many humans in this game that my character shouldn't have cared anymore.

Definitely the best part was dealing with the different characters every morning. More of the game should have focused on that instead of scavenging for food and supplies.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Whoa -- looks like either the old negative reviews or the upvotes on the old negative reviews were purged: it's almost all positive reviews now on the "most helpful" list.

[EDIT: As determined later in the thread, this appears to have happened simply because the negative reviews were more than a month old and got moved off the front page as a result, i.e., no foul play of any kind. Leaving original posts intact for context.]

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The reviews were not troll reviews, but I suppose the people upvoting them may have been uninterested in the game and in that sense might be deemed troll upvotes.

Multi-headed Cow

The reviews themselves were purged though. Dead State is now 75% positive rating on Steam. :M

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This practice makes me more than a little sad and uncomfortable, both as a consumer and a developer. I take a lot of pride in Primordia's reviews, and put a lot of stock in other games' reviews -- not necessarily the raw numbers, of course -- but there's a real devaluing that happens when it turns out that ostensibly crowd-sourced reviews are in fact being curated by the sellers, and not on a content-neutral basis.

[EDIT: As determined later in the thread, this appears to have happened simply because the negative reviews were more than a month old and got moved off the front page as a result, i.e., no foul play of any kind. Leaving original posts intact for context.]

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a mess. Hopefully this was a one-time thing to deal with a one-time unjustified shitstorm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom