Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He wrote that review in February and now it's June. [Ableist slur]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yesssssssssssss.

I hope they get rid of him too. :)

Minor forum thing I thought was amusing enough to share here:

Our overall policy on refunds at this stage in development is one inspired by Kickstarter's own policies. Since we are very much continuing active development as well as providing EA content updates on Steam and communicating with players about our progress, then I think it's fair to say we haven't failed to deliver the promised product to our players. In other words, we're not issuing refunds for Dead State being 'vaporware', because it's so far from the truth.

Bonus posts from Annie that are better discussed in GD :): http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4087.msg116833.html#msg116833 http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4103.msg116936.html#msg116936

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nice, drama update.
This review was removed by the Steam moderators for violating several different Community terms of service. If you repost this review again, you will receive a temporary ban.
We have no ability to remove or edit reviews of our game, and if you'll look you'll see that we have made no effort to flag, block, or censor any negative reviews. This review was taken down by Valve, not us. Valve did not tell us the exact reason why they decided to take it down. I would assume that it was taken down because it bypasses profanity filters, it does not in any way review the game but instead focuses exclusively on the reviewer's issues with forum moderation and Steam Early Access policy, and because it is insulting and abusive towards the devs.
followed by paragraphs of sperging from the re-poster and another "DoubleBear is lyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying" review from someone else. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This update's from Monday but I figured since today is Kickstarter-RPG News Day....

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4207.0.html
During E3, the gaming press was buzzing about the lack of a choice of gender in the new Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry franchises. Regardless of my opinion about the reasons that those studios have made those decisions, it would be great if the media focused on the games that are allowing the most player choice in creating their character’s look and identity. From the beginning, this has been a key feature in character creation in Dead State.

When you start a game of Dead State, you will be able to customize your character’s gender, looks (including skin tone), and portrait. Unlike many games where the female characters get the pretty faces and the men get the gruff/weathered faces, female avatars also have the option of looking scarred from the crash. Within the first conversation of the game, you can define your sexuality, marital status, and whether or not you lost family in the crash – the game will remember these choices and reference them in the dialogues. The most important thing about all of these choices are that you have agency to make the character you want to make, whether that reflects who you are or the character whose fiction you want to write. Ultimately, you are going to be the leader of the shelter, regardless of your ethnicity, gender, or sexuality. Hopefully, the choice to represent your identity in a game will be empowering for some of our players, but we really don’t think it’s a “feature” that should be bullet-pointed on the box, but a standard choice in any real-world game. Gender shouldn’t be downloadable content or expansion material. While we wanted to have more reactivity to every choice the player could make regarding appearance and sexuality, there’s only so much we can do because of the time needed to write that reactivity into the game.

Through the development of Dead State, we’ve worked to make sure our game features a diverse cast of allies with a wide range of backgrounds, ages, and personal relationships. True to life, when you have a group of people, you’re not going to have absolutely every color, gender, sexuality represented 100% in that group, but more than appearance, I think it’s important that all of our characters are complex individuals with distinct personalities than being stereotypes for the sake of calling out their ethnicity. Ethnicity/appearance/sexuality is something that’s personal for everyone and especially these days, the identification is not simply boiled down to checking a box on a form next to “Non-white Hispanic”, “Black” or “Asian”. For example, Renee Cass has a white father and a Hispanic mother – her identity isn’t an issue, because it’s so much more important that she’s able to patch you and your team up after combat! Our characters are all trying to survive, and it’s their abilities and attitudes that are going to be so critical for your interactions with them and your character. Whoever you choose to be, you’re the one that’s going to call the shots and get them through this.

Look, we’re not the only ones doing this and we’re not trying to pat ourselves on the back. The fact is, there are a lot of other studios making an effort to be as inclusive as possible and there needs to more attention on the games that are making an effort. I say “effort”, because diversity in games isn’t something that just “happens” but is something that the game creators need to pay attention to when they’re developing their characters and stories. If we, as gamers and creators, want that to change, we need to show the gaming community that there are games that are committed to making those changes. At DoubleBear, we may make some mistakes or omissions along the way, but we are dedicated to allowing players to make the characters that they can identify with, and we hope that Dead State is a step in the right direction for our industry and fans.
:smug: :smug: :smug:

Gonna be trans in this thing (if it's supported).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Good to see they have their priorities straight on this fine piece of vapourware/scam

When I played the demo those gender/sexuality choices were hilariously shoehorned in the initial dialogue

Hopefully, the choice to represent your identity in a game will be empowering for some of our players

In a zombie apocalypse I'd feel more empowered by a machine gun, but being able to tell the other survivors I'm into dicks is a good alternative.

And just so we don't lose the habit:

index.php

likaq

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/540744935470695954/

I believe in full disclosure so therefore Doublebear I am letting you know that i have sent a Full copy of Jynxx's review (including all 679 comments) to RockPaperShotgun and soon several more gaming sites... I know that Steam is the group that banned it however I do not believe in censorship and that review (or any for that matter) to disappear into the void so therefore i am sending it to many review websites where neither Valve or you have the control to censor it as i believe that even flaming etc... if you exercise modding powers shouldn't be deleted just locked that way everybody knows who it is that is flaming etc. and i have seen many discussion threads disappear and would not be surprised if this one does as well or a possible ban from the discussion thread. (the reposted review on steam has been deleted as of the posting of this as i will not break the TOS and this is just an informational thread.)

Ha Ha Ha oh wow

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/540744935623273233/ is even more golden

Let me weigh in on this before this thread gets locked or deleted. It was MY review. BJ is just doing something he feels needs to be done because he doesn't believe in what happened.
Yes, Valve banned my review. Do you know why? Because DoubleBear marked it as abusive, several times. I spoke with two different Valve employees, and they both said that Valve doesn't even read those. When a dev flags it as abusive, it gets locked. If more people flag it as abusive, it gets banned. Period. No one even looks at it to see if it IS abusive. And I can assure you, I was very to the point and factual about everything I said, and was never once abusive. I even stated that I liked the game.
My argument was it's label as an Early Access game, which is very clearly is not. I was the first person to start that up, and I was banned from these forums because of it (which was later very publicly rescinded), so I wrote a review so they couldn't delete it, ban it, or edit it. In the end, it had almost 700 comments, and over 2000 people (79% of all who clicked) found it helpful.
So who is abusive? I simply pointed out reasons why this game isn't Early Access. THEY flagged my review as abusive TO STOP IT, and then kept doing so to get it removed completely. Beyond their gross misuse of the Early Access model for their own pre-order campaign, the way they had my review removed was an extreme abuse of the way that Steam works.

So that's what happened. My review was not an "insane rant" at all, nor was it abusive in any way. It was informative. Regardless of what your opinion is on Early Access, or whether they are misusing it, the way they had my review censored was just plain wrong, and I commend BJ for having the guts to stand up for what he believes in.

And the best part about that is that he was one of their biggest supporters, there are at least 4-5 pages of he and I discussing it, sometimes heatedly... until he saw firsthand how much they are misleading people into getting their "Early Access" demo. And now he is fighting to make sure more people know what is going on. You can't get mad or shi tty at him for it, as he is just doing what he thinks is right.

Now lets see how quickly this thread gets locked or deleted. It is 10:02AM CST, on June 23rd. I give it an hour.
I didn't start this thread to argue about what is and what isn't an Early Access game. I am way past that. This is a reply to the thread by BJ that got locked before I had a chance to explain the situation. This explination simply informs you of what he is talking about, and why my review was banned by Valve, so that you have it in context. When you just hear that my review was banned for being abusive, you have no idea why, but you just take it at face value... which is exactly what I would do too. However, in this case, the assumptions you make when you take something like that at face value are wrong. I wasn't abusive at all. This was censorship, plain and simple. Just like they are doing when they delete or lock all the threads that speak up, because they "devolve" into arguments or get off topic... yet at the same time they say that they welcome anyone's opinion of the game, and promote healthy discussion. The last time I checked, most discussions that had sides of vastly differing opinion tend to get heated. That doesn't mean that they "devolve", or that they are unhealthy, just that the opinions are strong, given by passionate individuals.
Regardless, they have a right to their discussions, and their opinions.

Jynxx and bjsadzewicz, if any more posts from you show up on this topic, you'll receive permanent bans. You are re-opening / reposting locked discussions (against policy), posting inflammatory comments (against policy), arguing with mods (against policy), and many more things which openly violate both our and Steam's community policies. You will receive no further warnings about your behavior.

Bonus: http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561198049063189/recommended/239840/
0 hrs last two weeks / 0 hrs on record

Its a demo not early access

Did Jynxx or that other wordy-autist create a new account just to buy it again and post that review? Seems likely to me.

Brian and Annie's former coworkers at Obsidian probably read all this and breathe sighs of relief knowing they'll be dodging this bullet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, remind me again why the Mitsoda's left Obsidian.
Brian turned in two drafts of Alpha Protocol and Chris Avellone told him it was still too lacking in C&C and interesting characters, so he quit and moved to Washington. Annie, being his girlfriend, took the move with him.

agris

Arcane
Patron
What was the situation behind Brian leaving OE? I saw the SJW post the studio made, and while I'm inclusive as fuck, it does seem tad dramatic.

EDIT: retcon'd

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, has the codex played this game yet?
The first version was boring and lacking in content.

Supposedly more has been added, but I have better things to do.

I tried playing the demo but this thing is in early development and it shows. I think all the dialogue is placeholder.
Is this another we don't want to spoil the game so we're using fake dialog?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom