Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter DEAD SYNCHRONICITY: TCT - A dark point and click adventure

kaizoku

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ity-tct-a-dark-point-and-click-adve?ref=users

While writing Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow comes Today we’ve been influenced by creators like Joseph Conrad, Phillip K. Dick (well... who isn’t?), Tarkovski, Terry Gilliam, lots of terror movies from the 70s and 80s (including Italian giallo)... and all those great point and click adventures we enjoyed during the 90s, and we still enjoy today.

Could you then describe Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow comes Today as "Guybrush meets Mad Max meets 12 Monkeys"? Well, we guess you could…

45 hours to go
$3000 more needed to get funded

This one was mentioned weeks ago (by me?), and today (?) by someone else again in the KS thread.

They have a demo, has anyone tried it?

46e7455255a7c9bba7749df06f840213_large.jpg

e0fc92008fb70c0698bf63c958a14fbf_large.gif

d3024386248cee741ba5179be983f9e6_large.gif

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There are a million tiny hotspots in there, and only one matters! :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This *seems* interesting, so I thought I'd start a thread about it....

Hamburg, Germany/ Madrid, Spain; October 23rd, 2014 – Daedalic Entertainment and Fictiorama Studios are pleased to announce a publishing deal for “Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow comes Today” – Fictiorama’s upcoming 2D dystopian suspense adventure game.

As part of the agreement, Daedalic plans to publish Dead Synchronicity digitally world-wide, as well as release retail editions in selected territories in early 2015. The game will be available for PC, Mac, Linux and iPad.

Daedalic Entertainment will arrange full English and German localizations of the game, including the recording of voiceovers in both languages. Furthermore, Dead Synchronicity is scheduled to also feature Spanish, French, Italian and Russian subtitles.

In Dead Synchronicity, you play as Michael, a man with no past, who must recover his identity and decode the two events that brought the world to the edge of collapse: the so-called Great Wave, an inexplicable chain of natural disasters, and a pandemic that turned humans into “the Dissolved”, infected beings whose sick bodies will eventually dissolve into blood. However, before they die their gruesome death, the Dissolved gain special cognitive powers. If Michael doesn’t hurry, he won’t be able to avoid the impending moment of “dead synchronicity”, when Time itself starts to dissolve.

As an homage to darker adventure titles, such as “I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream” and “Sanitarium”, Dead Synchronicity paints – using hand-drawn 2D art – a mature dystopian sci-fi scenario, and features classic point & click adventure gameplay elements.

For an early taste of Dead Synchronicity, Fictiorama has made a public Alpha demo available that players can play-test for free: www.deadsynchronicity.com/extended-demo-alpha-ks/

http://www.deadsynchronicity.com/blog/back-from-adventurex-2013/

zwanzig_zwoelf

For some reason I can't stand the art style.
If they'll manage to write a good story with proper gameplay and nice soundtrack, then it'll be alright.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I have a key from backing it on Kickstarter. Given the demands on my time, there's almost no chance I'll use it. Would you like it, Crooked Bee? Or would someone else? If for no other reason, I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Cromwell

Arcane
I will start it now and post something about it later, dont know how much I get to play everyday.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have a key from backing it on Kickstarter. Given the demands on my time, there's almost no chance I'll use it. Would you like it, Crooked Bee? Or would someone else? If for no other reason, I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Thanks for the offer, but I think it should rather go to someone who has the time to play it in the near future (unlike myself).

Cromwell

Arcane
So my first impressions after playing a bit. I dont like the artstyle but I think thats a matter of taste, the game itself looks ok although not beautiful. The story so far is interesting and I want to find out more and I also do hope they dont fuck it up later. The few puzzles so far were ok but that doesnt say much since im pretty much at the beginning of the game, nothing to hard. Some people may find that to easy since I suck at Adventure puzzling so whats ok for me maybe to easy for others.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was a puzzle right in the beginning were you distract someone but he is right beside you and he doesnt notice it and makes a comment like "who did that". Its a small thing but that was a little off. Also the artstyle seems fitting even though I dont like it very much. As for the gameplay itself its point and click, you can quiktravel from one room to another by double clicking the exits but theres no running from point a to b.

You dont have that much options to interact, you either right click to look or left click to do something and the symbol you get when hovering over a hotspot indicates what you can do via a hand if you can interact or a mouth if you can look talk (or both). If you cant interact but try there are no snarky comments just nothing will happen. Holding space will show you all the hotspots in a room for as long as you hold it until you do something. Invetory access comes either via mousewheel or clicking the bag symbol in the corner. Using an Item goes without fiddeling just click it and drag it out of your bag the bag screen will vanish and you have no small load times or any other sort of lag or fiddly clicking.

From what I saw it plays like a normal newer Point and Click, you have some sort of "cutscenes" which come off like something out of a movie when the game zooms in on the protagonists face and you hear his thoughts or other such effects but its definetly no telltale visual experience.

For the story, and without spoilering anything:

You wake up without memories, realize the world went to shit but you dont know what exactly happened, yourw in a refugee camp which is some kind of prison now and the military has control over it. Theres also a strange disease which kills infected people after a while, that is if the military doesnt get to them first and drags them away for whatever purpose. Your purpose seems to find out what happened and who you are and while your at it find a cure. Does not sound that special if I describe it but is presented in an interesting way. Definetly different from most other adventures I know.

Cant say much more because I did not play for very long but if it stays interesting and they did not fuck up anything along the way I would not mind giving them the 17 euro they are asking for.

Urbanolo

Augur
I'd say this game ranges from painfully bad to mediocre. The VA being bad is a staple of indie adventure games, so that's not new. The plot is retarded, the writing and the dialogues cringeworthy. Puzzles, while not being hard, require LOTS of backtracking.

Plus the game ends with a cliffhanger.

The art is nice though and it's short (I've completed it in one sitting).

Tolias

Educated
Finished this today.

I thought that the game had some interesting concepts. The puzzles were almost all logical and intuitive... I only got stuck twice and I brute forced my way through both points.

Unfortunately, the voice acting is horrendous. It almost killed the game for me. No emotion, no inflection. The peripheral characters sort of sound bad but the protagonist... just no. Do yourself a favor and set dialogue to just text from the start.

The music was at best mediocre, at worst torture. There's a segment in the middle of the game where, supposedly, you're under the pressure of time to do something and a drum piece keeps starting at random, it shot my nerves to hell. It was so bad it made me angry - I caught myself crushing my mouse. It's really too bad, I feel some better atmospheric music would have done wonders for the game.

The writing... there were some decent parts. I liked the early discovery phase of the game a lot [my favorite part in adventures and rpgs]. But.
The dialogues and flashbacks. They sucked. Infodumps EVERYWHERE. Convoluted theories and explanations. Ironically, for being mystery driven [and with the amnesia trope] the game would have done a lot more with less. It felt like the creators tried to smash your face with the message "SEE HOW MYSTERIOUS AND DYSTOPIAN THIS IS? AND THERE"S EVEN A TWIST AT THE END!!!"

Subtlety is what DS needed.

And jesus fucking christ, that voice acting. Next time do plain text dialogue, less complex art and GET BETTER WRITERS.

Will I get the sequel? Probably, I'm curious to see what happens.

Did finishing the game give a profound feeling of satisfaction, such as the one I got from finishing Primordia, Gemini Rue or Resonance?

No.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So this game:
+ good art (except the young girl who is prob supposed to be 15 who looks 56 lolol)
+/- stupid plot but you can deal with
- infodumbs
- trying too hard with teh 'tragedy'
- stupid stupid puzzles with backtracking (need object x to get object y in location already visited z)
- it's fucking episodic and finishes on a cliffhanger
- finishes right after the first use of the only 'interesting' puzzle mechanic in the entire game (it's a ripoff of countless time travel puzzles... but you know, without any charm or interest or cleverness or ui or even use, ghost trick this is not)

A bad game, waste of 3 hours

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I necro-ed the wrong thread about this game :)

Saw it in some bundle and I was thinking to buy it. However I've changed my mind after seeing the comments above.

Thank you! Tolias SCO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom