Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Trash - edgy post-apocalyptic isometric action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Not bad but this better imo... "40 shades of brown"
1DSinCF.jpg

kmDhG0R.png

zgtqf0V.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing with this game is that all the screenshots shown look mushy and it's hard to make out details, and the view is too zoomed-in, and even if the visuals tried to convey some kind of atmosphere it's ruined by the trying-too-hard edginess.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
The thing with this game is that all the screenshots shown look mushy and it's hard to make out details, and the view is too zoomed-in

This reminds me a of a guy who didnt like Underrail because of fonts... FONTS CARL!

and even if the visuals tried to convey some kind of atmosphere it's ruined by the trying-too-hard edginess.

Maybe this is not your thing? Steven Hovelbrinks (creator and "one man orchestra") desribes the game as "a modern - post-apocalyptic RPG in horror/ cyberpunk/ grotesque/ trash-talk/ sex world". Also if you are interested, you could go to his FB and say your constructive criticism-he will be happy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing with this game is that all the screenshots shown look mushy and it's hard to make out details, and the view is too zoomed-in

This reminds me a of a guy who didnt like Underrail because of fonts... FONTS CARL!

and even if the visuals tried to convey some kind of atmosphere it's ruined by the trying-too-hard edginess.

Maybe this is not your thing? Steven Hovelbrinks (creator and "one man orchestra") desribes the game as "a modern - post-apocalyptic RPG in horror/ cyberpunk/ grotesque/ trash-talk/ sex world". Also if you are interested, you could go to his FB and say your constructive criticism-he will be happy.

Eh, not even that interested, just explaining why some people criticize the graphics and the writing.

It might end up being fun if the creator pushes the bizarro angle properly, but the gameplay looks kinda meh too.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Eh, not even that interested, just explaining why some people criticize the graphics and the writing.

It might end up being fun if the creator pushes the bizarro angle properly, but the gameplay looks kinda meh too.

Time will show. I am waiting for longer gameplay videos:shittydog: What worries me most, that as one man team he will stop developing it or the game will end very short on playtime (4-5h).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
And here I was thinking people from RPGCodex would actually care more about the RPG aspects. Silly me.
There are exist RPG aspects? Currently:

Inventory. Passable.
tumblr_nvr4nyvlXQ1udgdfno4_540.png

Choice in conversations? Passable.
tumblr_nv8f5ns5Mk1udgdfno3_540.png

Trade screen. OK.
screenshot_1120x630_2015-11-10_1.png

Overland map.
tumblr_nw897ocGIL1udgdfno1_1280.gif

I do not see character screen and combat is chaotic mess.

Bonus:
tumblr_nwh3364vrM1udgdfno1_1280.gif

EDIT:
Super-Duper bonus:
http://www.epicpowergaming.com/death-trash-a-scumbag-worm-first-look/

Death Trash : A Scumbag Worm First Look
By Cathew MurlockAugust 15, 2015Action Game, Adventure, Check This Out, classic, fallout, hype, News, Open World, pc, Real Life, real life strategy, Real Time Strategy, Retro Gaming, Sandbox, Single Player Games, steam, strategy, Survival Horror, Turn Based Strategydeath trash.pc, First look, in development., scumbag worm, steam

Death Trash is a game that was recently announced to be officially in development on August of this summer. I happened to stumble on the project after a gif appeared on my wall that lead me to some random dev on Twitter, that I just happened to be following. I was immediately sold and madly in love with the project after scrolling down on his twitter page of lust and acid, the more I seen, the more I did not know how I would feel if the project ended up dieing off and never being presented to the masses.

So far the only media that happens to be out their of the game are a few gifs and a ton of concept art from a dev , that was once not sure, but hopeful, of a dream that would come to the surface and one day become a reality. Then a Few months pass and now we are here with a website, title and 30 second animated video to boot.
tumblr_nt10k126LQ1udgdfno6_540.png

From what it looks like, after stalking the amazing man by the name of Stephan Hövelbrinks‘s Twitter, it seems that the project once started off as a short story game called There are no Demons, with a more short character pixelated art, that threw shade at the rpg’s of the old, before going the new modern route of Gods Will Be Watching and a few others we have come to see the last few years.
tumblr_nt10k126LQ1udgdfno4_540.png

The first thing that will catch your eyes and your heart when looking at the few screen shots available to the public would be the art and if not, then it would be comedic genius that we have all been missing from a post apocalyptic game. Yeah sure, The recent fallout series throws a bit of funny boned jabs here and their, but the majority of the time it’s all dark and moody, filled with drama and pain, which becomes a little bit of a overkill with the brown settings of the wastelands.

tumblr_nt10k126LQ1udgdfno2_540.gif

I am not saying those are bad things, I’m sure the project formerly known as The Isometric Role Playing Game, will include all those things and more, but it will at least do it with a fun and awesome style we have not yet gotten to experience in a game of it’s nature.
tumblr_nt10k126LQ1udgdfno9_540.png

Though I am not completely filled in with the information of when the game was truly started or know if the majority of what I speculated on is 100 percent accurate, I have seen glimpses of hints at Joseph announcing coding starting all way to July of this year, The Website and Game Title announced in August and a few screen shots of a game with similar trippy art going back a few months to around May of this year.
CFr4NLuW8AAlPnx.jpg

(ScumBag Worm First Looks should be taken with a grain of salt, the majority that is written about a game other then it being developed is just speculation and excitement coming from the writer at the moment of the article being created. Think of it a little like a hyper active child jumping in front of a candy store before it’s even open, while yelling how much he’s going to love everything he gets his hands on, before he has even gotten a chance to taste the candy.)

Just give me a a collectible figure with actual articulation and a toy shotgun of the punk blue haired protagonist and I will cancel my Fallout 4 pre order my friend. Can’t wait.
It's flesh indeed.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Just try imagining how no-budges games made by (probably) 1 person would have looked like 20 years ago.
Like pure sex.
GBNZf.jpg

Eo5CV.jpg

aethraschronicles8.gif

nahlakh_4.png
Weren't many of C64 and Amiga games made by one-man teams also? Never had either of them though, but my neighbor had the later and remember quite a few games having graphics superior to most PC ones of that time (late 80s - early 90s).

Most of them were or by very small team. I think fate gates of dawn was done by only one guy too and its still the biggest blobber i have seen. Those games were both more complex and more gorgeous than 90% of today indies.

MWaser

Arbiter
It is not that difficult of a task to be more complex than most modern games, especially indie. Some indie games might have considerable hidden depth to them, but many of them hold the appeal of being easy to pick up and play, while difficult to master.

Mortmal

Arcane
It is not that difficult of a task to be more complex than most modern games, especially indie. Some indie games might have considerable hidden depth to them, but many of them hold the appeal of being easy to pick up and play, while difficult to master.
I think its considerable amount of work just to redo something as good as 20 year old amiga classics and it doesnt pay to boot.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
He updated the website.
Release Date
2017 or later
The Story

Generations after the Great Galactic War, civilization rises again on Tauris V and the age-old power struggle of factions about resources, influence and beliefs begins anew. But this time the Ancients are freed from their shackles and the Evergrowing Heart pounds for the Flesh Hive. You are the key to solving or escalating this conflict...

Gameplay

Use realtime combat, dialogue, item crafting and psi powers to explore and survive this post-apocalyptic mystic world with larger-than-life beings.
Choose one character from a diverse selection and customize him or her through stats and making choices. A friend can join anytime for a session of local co-op.
The game is built around respecting your time and freedom.

The Death Trash Manifest
In the beginning of this project, I wrote a sort of guideline for myself. And while the content and type of the game are still evolving, these thoughts will always be there like a good companion. The wording changes over time, of course.

Empower the player!
1. Imagination

Let the player be part of creating this fictional world. Give him/her food for his/her imagination. Show things and explain some of them, but only hint at many other things. Art, narrative, dialogue, descriptions and audio should all be part of this.

2. Freedom

Let the player keep his/her freedom. Most important in the controls: Don’t take them away unless absolutely needed. Make key moments in the story interactable / walkable. No cutscenes. The game should work with multiple control schemes and screen situations. Go to great length to give the player comfort options like pausing anywhere and changing of controls anytime.

3. Choices

Give the player things to do. Prepare a world, a setting, and then let him/her loose on that. Present different possibilities for handling problems. Let the world react on player actions, but don’t judge. This does not mean total lack of hints: Show the player what he/she can do.

4. Contrast

With all of the above in mind, make sure the game has characters, moments and art that stand out from the rest. Give contrast to this world by funneling attention and highlighting. The noise should be backdrop, not center.

- Stephan

Cool specifications, if realtime combat doesn't count.

kraken_talk_finished.gif
loading_finished.gif
doors_finished.gif
procedural_stones_walking_finished.gif
acolyte_with_background1.gif
booze_finished.gif
tumblr_o3jb3mSxVu1udgdfno1_1280.gif

mondblut

Arcane
And here I was thinking people from RPGCodex would actually care more about the RPG aspects. Silly me.

Was there at least one screenshot with character sheet posted? I must have missed it.

But judging by the combat animated gif, the amount of RPG aspects is fuck/10, would fuck again.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Well, some people just cannot stand graphics that are below top-notch and/or just cannot see some art styles as a deliberate design choice, instead seeing it as some kind of "thing of the past".

thHWPMILWT.jpg

To be honest, I don't like the art style either. But that has nothing to do with the year, it's just a personal preference.
it's not a thing of the past it's a thing of the hipster subrace.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does it actually play anything like Fallout?

Use realtime combat, dialogue, item crafting and psi powers to explore and survive this post-apocalyptic mystic world with larger-than-life beings.
Choose one character from a diverse selection and customize him or her through stats and making choices. A friend can join anytime for a session of local co-op.
The game is built around respecting your time and freedom.

Sounds like a mix of Arcanum and Underrail.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How come every game that is like Fallout is nothing like Fallout?

Death Trash might be the Fallout game for people who wish Bethesda’s post-nuclear world were a whole lot grimier, scarier, and swearier.

The gameplay description fits FO4 almost perfectly apart from the "co-op" and "respecting your time" stuff.

I like the art style quite a lot but complete lack of stat screens and info on game mechanics isn't very reassuring. As for the immature vulgarity, it might work in a ~6-10-hour adventure game, but an RPG will need solid game mechanics to carry all that shit for any longer than that without overstaying its welcome, otherwise, the less said about it the better.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
I don't know, why do people think the writing is immature? It is uninspired, yes, maybe banal but all those fucks are not there because of immaturity. It's a deliberate choice, hell, every- fucking -thing in the game has the f word associated with itself, there's even a place called fucktopia. It's made for the laughs, simple as that.
Lol, the list of great design choices the guy uses as a guide is funny, 3/4 of the list sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom