Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Debate which RPG setting has the richest/most interesting/highest quality lore.

Which RPG setting has the richest/most interesting/highest quality lore?

• Total voters

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only a fucking retard would vote for Forgotten Realms!

Why? Just why?
Same goes for TES, no matter if post MW or not.
It's all just derivative fantasy in the end and TES makes it even worse by burying most of its lore in stupid ingame books.

Twitcher lore is kinda cool though so I voted for that.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I voted for TES but really I only voted for Morrowind. Equally important as lore is the presentation of the lore (otherwise, how do you know it exists?) and both Oblowvian ( :lol: ) and Skyrim had ridiculous, watered down versions of their lore libraries implemented.

Cadmus

Arcane
I would have voted for TES if the last game I played was Morrowind. Now fuck that and I voted for The Witcher.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Same goes for TES, no matter if post MW or not.
It's all just derivative fantasy in the end and TES makes it even worse by burying most of its lore in stupid ingame books.

If you think Morrowind's lore is normal fantasy shit you weren't paying much attention.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't know about the 'best evar lore' but Dark Sun is the more interesting to me. TES seems to have a lot but most of it is inane shit.

yeah, if we're going to throw out DnD settings which have been used in cRPGs, Dark Sun is definitely the most interesting in its own terms. Planescape is cool too, but part of what makes it good is the way it works as a counterpoint to other DnD settings.

Generally I'm not sure about saying any which game has the best lore when we're talking about games set in their own universes, games set in the worlds of novels and games set in PnP settings at the same time. Are we talking about the most interesting setting used in an RPG? Or the most interesting use of lore by an RPG, whether or not the lore it uses is already in place or created for the games. For the former, I'd take Dark Suns. If we're going to go with the latter, I'd probably say Planescape, but also throw out KOTOR II for consideration as well, which takes the trash lore of Star Wars and does something interesting with it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'd like to say TES, but Skyrim and Oblivion were boring as shit, so I'd say The Witcher.
Say thanks to Todd Howard, the guy who:
- Cut off the Dijlimeri ('the people that fly using their dongs') from Oblivion, because they couldn't make the Radiant AI work as intended, and they used to fly up in the sky, run out of stamina, then fall down to their death. Also, due to the 'cultural reasons'.
- Removed the 'alternative wastelands' from Fallout 3. Seriously, there was a guy who was crazy about alternative wastelands, and would drop you in the random 'alternative wasteland' where you could explore a large map filled cool dialogues and witty jokes. Nazi Germany, US countryside in our 60-s, Russian wasteland, you name it. And all you really had to do is to find him some object in there, like a bottle of schnapps or a fresh steak.
- Removed slave trading from Fallout 3. Yes, you could make a raider fight for you, free of charge.
- Removed early plot drafts that were far more superior than the final one. You started as a child, and had to play your way into the adulthood - you could be easily molested, beaten up, or even killed on the way. Also, your father was kicked out of the Vault for different reasons - in the last version he had to find the new water chip, but then they sent you to find him, because he had a thing for chicks/booze/other things, and he could easily get off the trail.
- Removed the aging mechanic because QA department was dumb as fuck, and died of old age before they could reach the final boss.
- Removed killable children.
- Removed the timed event where on October 31 a bunch of kids with knives would randomly spawn across the world and hunt you until you die. It was removed after the removal of killable children, because it caused MASSIVE butthurt in the QA department. IIRC some of the programmer did that before he got fired because he hated his job.
- More atrocious bullshit that even mods won't probably fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
I'd like to say TES, but Skyrim and Oblivion were boring as shit, so I'd say The Witcher.
- Cut off the Dijlimeri ('the people that fly using their dongs') from Oblivion, because they couldn't make the Radiant AI work as intended, and they used to fly up in the sky, run out of stamina, then fall down to their death. Also, due to the 'cultural reasons'.
- Removed the 'alternative wastelands' from Fallout 3. Seriously, there was a guy who was crazy about alternative wastelands, and would drop you in the random location of the 'alternative wasteland' where you could explore a large map filled cool dialogues and witty jokes. Nazi Germany, US countryside in our 60-s, Russian wasteland, you name it. And all you really had to do is to find him some object in there, like a bottle of schnapps or a fresh steak.
- Removed slave trading from Fallout 3. Yes, you could make a raider fight for you, free of charge.
- Removed early plot drafts that were far more superior than the final one. You started as a child, and had to play your way into the adulthood - you could be easily molested, beaten up, or even killed on the way. Also, your father was kicked out of the Vault for different reasons - in the last version he had to find the new water chip, but then they sent you to find him, because he had a thing for chicks/booze/other things, and he could easily get off the trail.
- Removed the aging mechanic because QA department was dumb as fuck, and died before they could reach the final boss.

Yeah, Morrowind was probably Bethesda's last good RPG title (well, hopefully not THE last). I really tried to get into Oblivion, Skyrim or Fallout 3, but those games were way too dry, soulless and incredibly boring. Vegas was somewhat better. Also, those stiff NPC animations didn't help either.

I mean, the same company wanted to sell a fucking horse armor. If the PC modding community wasn't that strong, they'd surely continue to sell that crap.

zwanzig_zwoelf

- Removed the 'alternative wastelands' from Fallout 3. Seriously, there was a guy who was crazy about alternative wastelands, and would drop you in the random location of the 'alternative wasteland' where you could explore a large map filled cool dialogues and witty jokes. Nazi Germany, US countryside in our 60-s, Russian wasteland, you name it. And all you really had to do is to find him some object in there, like a bottle of schnapps or a fresh steak.
- Removed the aging mechanic because QA department was dumb as fuck, and died before they could reach the final boss.

Yeah, Morrowind was probably Bethesda's last good RPG title (well, hopefully not THE last). I really tried to get into Oblivion, Skyrim or Fallout 3, but those games were way too dry, soulless and incredibly boring. Vegas was somewhat better. Also, those stiff NPC animations didn't help either.

I mean, the same company wanted to sell a fucking horse armor. If the PC modding community wasn't that strong, they'd surely continue to sell that crap.
Bethesda can suck my dick after Morrowind. It wasn't a totally shitty game, but it was clearly a decline of the series.
Then Oblivion happened.
Then Fallout 3.
And when I expected that they might learn something from their mistakes, Skyrim knocked my door, and I felt like Todd Howard himself wrote 'Hello Ingvar, missed me? Here's a punishment for badmouthing me. Look how we took a dump all over your favorite Norse mythology. Just look at this.' on the DVD case with invisible ink.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
And when I expected that they might learn something from their mistakes, Skyrim knocked my door, and I felt like Todd Howard himself wrote 'Hello Ingvar, missed me? Here's a punishment for badmouthing me. Look how we took a dump all over your favorite Norse mythology. Just look at this.' on the DVD case with invisible ink.

Hahahaha, I'm laughing my arse off. Awesome comment mate :-D

:Flash:

Arcane
I'd say that summoner was pretty good in the lore department. I don't remember if the lore itself was any good (it was some standard stuff with ancient gods, IIRC), but the way it was presented was really well done. In the main temple there was a monk(?) who could ask about stuff, and he would explain it while pointing at different stained glass windows of the temple.
Somehow the stained glass windows really conveyed that the lore was something that was alive to the people of the world/game, and not just something the designers put in.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I mean, the same company wanted to sell a fucking horse armor.
you make it sound as if they wanted to but didn't, while in fact they sold a fuckton of horse armor dlc, even with the ridiculously high price tag they set for it initially.

zwanzig_zwoelf

FFS, I forgot to mention that in originally intended Bethesda's Fallout 3 the ghouls didn't look like those ghouls. They were genetically engineered creatures that looked like humans, though they could be distinguished among them by their toneless voice. They infiltrated human society to have regular sexual relationships in order find a way to modify themselves so they can breed without usage of special tech that was almost fully broken when the player character was born.

Lhynn

Arcane
FFS, I forgot to mention that in originally intended Bethesda's Fallout 3 the ghouls didn't look like those ghouls. They were genetically engineered creatures that looked like humans, though they could be distinguished among them by their toneless voice. They infiltrated human society to have regular sexual relationships in order find a way to modify themselves so they can breed without usage of special tech that was almost fully broken when the player character was born.
Truly enlightening.

I can only wish Infinitron news post where as accurate, insightful and interesting as your posts zwanzig_zwoelf .

you make it sound as if they wanted to but didn't, while in fact they sold a fuckton of horse armor dlc, even with the ridiculously high price tag they set for it initially.

It was the beginning of the DLC craze, those Microsoft Points were burning a hole in a lot of pockets, according to Pete.

Pete Hines asserted, "We were the first ones to do downloadable content like that—some people had done similar things, but no one had really done additions where you add new stuff to your existing game." There was no pressure from Microsoft to make the move

I've recently read an interview somewhere with some beth guy (maybe Pete himself), when the interviewer asks about the bad press generated by the horse armor, the guy says that while they don't regret making the horse armor, they would "do it differently" nowadays, or something like that.

(but then they went and released Hearthfire anyway)

Cadmus

Arcane

It was the beginning of the DLC craze, those Microsoft Points were burning a hole in a lot of pockets, according to Pete.

Pete Hines asserted, "We were the first ones to do downloadable content like that—some people had done similar things, but no one had really done additions where you add new stuff to your existing game." There was no pressure from Microsoft to make the move

I've recently read an interview somewhere with some beth guy (maybe Pete himself), when the interviewer asks about the bad press generated by the horse armor, the guy says that while they don't regret making the horse armor, they would "do it differently" nowadays, or something like that.

(but they released Hearthfire anyway)

DLC is ass, it should be called datadisk or expansion and have a proper length about 1/2 to 3/4 of the original game, fuck the DLC because the "content" part of it is usually about 1 hour long.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All this Todd Howard hate is mostly justified but the man knows how to make fucking money, give him that.

Skyrim in my opinion was an honest attempt to win back some of the artistic integrity they had before Oblivion, and it's a more enjoyably experience as a result. I doubt they will ever go full Morrowind again, sadly, but they are improving at trying to please both camps.

Ninjerk

Arcane

(but they released Hearthfire anyway)

DLC is ass, it should be called datadisk or expansion and have a proper length about 1/2 to 3/4 of the original game, fuck the DLC because the "content" part of it is usually about 1 hour long.
Everyone said this almost 10 years ago and look where we are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom