Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Decent strategy games that aren't commercially available.

Blonsky

Prophet
Didnt see these on the list and im not completely sure if they are avaliable anywhere.

Paraworld
War leaders: Clash of nations
Star wars: Force commander
Seven kingdoms: Conquest

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's been a very long since I played it but I remember Dominion: Storm Over Gift 3 being pretty decent and it's forgotten and unavailable anywhere.

cerjdBv.jpg

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
There are a few free games, so maybe they really shouldn't be in this thread.
Some examples, please.
Besides Steel Panthers 2, which I left to the list on purpose.

If there are games that are officially freeware on the list; I'll be glad to amend it.

edit.
Own thread for free games would be great, but someone else have to do it.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shadow Company: Left for Dead

Depending how you count the 'strategy', M1 Tank Platoon 2 was a great game that you could play as a sim or as a strategy/RTS type of game.

I would have included Total Air War as it was the same: you could play it as a 'lite' sim, but also there was the option to fight the war only by AWACS map mode. Good thing is that you can get a free complete updated mod version here: http://community.combatsim.com/topic/20202-f-22-total-air-war-230-final-released/

I dunno..sure you can find anything on the net really...but if you are counting officially unavailable games then these should be on the list. Abandonware doesn't really count.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Added Shadow Company: Left for Dead.

Does anyone remember names of couple of games?
I'm talking about 2 part series which was published in late 90's or early 00´s.
Games theme was planning and execution of air operations (Battle of Britain in 1st part of the series and defense of the Reich in 2nd.)
Never played those, but those might be good additions to the list, or nice finds if they are available.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Soldiers of Anarchy was quite a decent real time squad level tactical game in a post apoc setting.
I think Warhammer: Mark of Chaos and its stand alone Battle March are nowhere to be found either(it qualifies as decent but certainly not as great by any means).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was going to write KKND but then found out that GOGs selling it. Now waitng for a sale :P

Also thanks for reminding me the Dark Colony, I like the bloody, brutal aspect of it a lot back then.

Edit:

Emperor: Battle for Dune man, couldn't played this one properly becuse of my shitty computer back then(those were the days...) and want to try it some day. Though I cannot find a good copy around :(

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Soldiers of Anarchy was quite a decent real time squad level tactical game in a post apoc setting.
I think Warhammer: Mark of Chaos and its stand alone Battle March are nowhere to be found either(it qualifies as decent but certainly not as great by any means).
Added.

I also added Chicago 1930 and Gangsters 2: Vendetta.
Though Mafia themed strategy games seems to be cursed to be decent at best.
No great classics in that niche that I'm aware about.

Edit.
Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy added.

Last edited:

Khorne

Arbiter
Hooligans: Storm Over Europe (Windows, 2001)

Played, but couldn't buy anywhere, it was banned.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Added some games to the list from this thread by Don Peste.

Games added:
-Armies of Exigo
-Rival Realms
-Shadow Vault
-Hammer & Sickle (there was rumours about GOG release) and that reminded me about Night Watch and Day Watch.

e. Night Watch and Day Watch are more curiosities than decent games.

Last edited:

groundhog

Educated
Added some games to the list from this thread by Don Peste.

Games added:
-Armies of Exigo
-Rival Realms
-Shadow Vault
-Hammer & Sickle (there was rumours about GOG release) and that reminded me about Night Watch and Day Watch.

e. Night Watch and Day Watch are more curiosities than decent games.

Day Watch is available at GamersGate (at least it is here in the UK):

https://uk.gamersgate.com/DD-DW/day-watch

I got a boxed copy of Night Watch from ebay very cheaply, but I've not seen it for sale anywhere digitally.

Anyway, thanks Taka-Haradin puolipeikko for compiling this list!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom