Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Decline 20: Dominions 5: Defenders of the Faith

What era we play in?

• MA

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • EA

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • LA

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
Come to think of it... if I do run away and Arco does go AI, it presents interesting possibilities. A gay horde of thousands charging in random directions in 2 turns, that could be fun. As long as the AI does not remember I previously took some turf from his meatbag caretaker, that is.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
AI still has to deal with recruitment limit though, so it's not that big a problem if they only have one fort. Obviously, the AI would immediately start buying every merc in the game until their death, but that shouldn't be too bad.

I mean, look at the kills we're racking up!
IKYaQFt.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
bnGlwIF.png

After this spectacular show, the Morgen Princess Flying Circus has to leave the beautiful city of Arcoscephale and move on with its worldwide tour, having too few scene workers left to scale the walls.

mondblut

Arcane
Typical women behaviour. First they stirr the hornets' nest. Then they disappear, leaving manly men to deal with the shit they broke :argh:

This is sekshual hurashment! #metoo #methree #mealso

AI Arco can't get underwater, so I am cool with them reigning over the firmament :smug:

Infinitum

Scholar
Gone AI. Gotta say Cascades spam was pretty underwhelming in all (then again, that might just be due to not having enough blockers left).

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Stellar cascades has been nerfed somehow. Its stats were actually increased (rng 30 ---> 35) but it performs much worse than before. Admittedly, before was a bit OP.

I'd like to know why it performs worse though.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Stellar cascades has been nerfed somehow. Its stats were actually increased (rng 30 ---> 35) but it performs much worse than before. Admittedly, before was a bit OP.

I'd like to know why it performs worse though.

Same reason why ranged combat targeting is essentially nerfed? Doesn't hit as much when targets are "moving", as opposed to paused sitting there on your "turn". Admittedly I don't know exactly how the simultaneous turns messes with targeting(like the code/calculations, etc.), but anecdotally it seems to.

If it seems to still suck when groups are bunched up fighting for several turns while cascades are raining, then the above is moot and wrong.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Dunno... Spells that share a similar graphic, like banishment, seems to more or less produce the same results as in Dom4. sqeecoo I still haven't tried Ulm in Dom5, how do spells like iron darts/iron blizzard perform? They behave like arrows, the should have lost precision if the same calulations are used for spells and other projectiles.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Regarding stellar cascades, as far as I know they were indeed nerfed, they are now MR resist for half damage. Which isn't a big factor against the shitty MR of Ulm, but the damage is 25 armor piercing fatigue damage, and my guys have 26 protection after legion of steel, so even without a resist the fatigue is not so huge. Stellar cascades is also precision 100, so it should never be missing, unlike arrows. It's just that your front line got staggered by earth meld and then chopped up by the Ulmish guys before the fatigue could really set in.

Ulm smash and tank. All they do, but they do it well. Your guys are nice tanky meatbags, but big with low defense is perfect for Ulm, I'd have had a lot more trouble slicing through for instance Swarm with stellar cascades raining down. That's what I gathered from the battle anyway, I wasn't sure which way it would go beforehand.

I haven't deployed enough iron darts to really know how effective they are now, but I've heard people saying projectiles are more efficient now with real time, and that missing faster moving units is intentional, which would make sense.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Uh? Dom5inspector makes no reference to MR for half damage, but it makes sense. Time to test some old fashioned cascade spam and check the log carefully...

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
I read it in a change summary, but it does also say so in the spell description ingame.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Dayyālu I just put my turn in, then remembered you have that huge stack right next to the throne. I know you are in a war that is probably higher priority, so please no accidents. :M

Dayyālu

Arcane
Dayyālu I just put my turn in, then remembered you have that huge stack right next to the throne. I know you are in a war that is probably higher priority, so please no accidents. :M

No prob, no prob. Sent a in-game message to discuss the reason why the fuck I have a huge mictlanese stack on my border.

KoolNoodles

Arcane

No prob, no prob. Sent a in-game message to discuss the reason why the fuck I have a huge mictlanese stack on my border.

There are hordes of TC migrants pouring over my borders to a brighter future, have to do something about it. Little do they know, they are all going to be sacrificed.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Failed throne attack(the losses weren't horrible, only because no commanders died and the rest can literally be replaced in one turn), but it was just embarrassing. An eagle warrior attack large monster/attack rear gambit that didn't quite work. To top it off, the battle ended with two opposing units limping away, crippled in defeat. The AI's dust walker, and my moon warrior took about 20-25 turns to leave the field. Mine ran off the map a couple squares before his. :lol:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, Dominions makes for an incredibly tedious and boring multiplayer game. The interface is horrendous and the game doesn't lend itself well to long gaps between turns. I'll keep submitting turns here and in decline 21 so as not to spoil anything, although feel free to AI me or whatever if you lot prefer it. Single player is a lot better.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Do not despair. Dominions is a great multiplayer, probably the best I've ever played. You're right on the interface but as you play and interiorize it you'll find playing your turns gets better and better.
I remember, during my first games, I sometimes took hours to organize even early turns. Between giving orders, scripting, constantly checking the inspector to make a somewhat informed choice and various tests, I sometimes felt literally drained.
As you play though, it all starts to click into place. You'll still curse the interface obviously, but you'll tire much less. As a word of advice, do not play more than 1 or 2 games contemporarily. Ask questions, even inane one.

On a sidenote I thought you were going AI, otherwise I'd formally declare war on you. All these impossible AIs, left unchecked, will destroy this game. Again, sorry!

PS: We're at war! <--- formal declaration

Failed throne attack

I left the wrong script during one attack vs Arco and burned one of my communicants to death. Shame on me. I already lost 26 soldiers ond one almost-mage just to fight PD. We must end that limitless source of cash.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Selling Eyes of god full score graph and GPS information

:takemyjewgold:

Some free highlights -

In other respects - there's 3 clear top 3 players who are all about equal strength - Pangea, Ragha and Bogarus.... with Pangea actually looking the strongest overall..

However Patala's army size is really skyrocketing quite obviously and Bogarus is struggling.. according to the charts.

I also have the most research out of anyone which is cool...

:happytrollboy:

Using the latest geo-tracking technology we have discovered additional pockets of resources.... and that I have the most research :O

iHcBZbK.png

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Selling Eyes of god full score graph and GPS information

:takemyjewgold:

Some free highlights -

In other respects - there's 3 clear top 3 players who are all about equal strength - Pangea, Ragha and Bogarus.... with Pangea actually looking the strongest overall..

However Patala's army size is really skyrocketing quite obviously and Bogarus is struggling.. according to the charts.

I also have the most research out of anyone which is cool...

:happytrollboy:

Using the latest geo-tracking technology we have discovered additional pockets of resources.... and that I have the most research :O

iHcBZbK.png
Wrong game

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Agesilaus

Dominions multiplayer really takes off when you have the time and energy to really get into diplomacy. Likewise, your opponents do too. Then the times between turns becomes its own game, if you enjoy that sort of thing. Also theorycrafting between turns, thinking about "what if I....", trying to guess your opponents' moves in a big war, etc. Or, if you are in multiple games and have limited real time, it can always feel rushed. Or do your turns last minute and occasionally stale, keeps it fresh. :D

Try some blitz games if the pace feels wrong to you.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If anyone wants to see what the end of that throne battle looked like, here yah go. It's silent, so here's some music for it. It kinda works if you press play at the same time. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom