Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Decline 20: Dominions 5: Defenders of the Faith

What era we play in?

• MA

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • EA

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • LA

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Dayyālu

Arcane
I seriously doubt Cataclysm will let us "experiment".

It's Astral Corruption, after all.

About Time Stop, I have it, but I seriously don't know if it's worth it. Maybe testing will help.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
It's hard to use with conventional mages, unless you tailor a pretender around it or invest heavily on boosters on a top notch chassis and even in that case, it's an high path spell costing 100 fatigue. I mean, you need S4, an extra gem and LotNS up just to cast it at base cost.

Using a small communion ad Pythium (8-16) allows you to dump fatigue on slaves, sets it up on turn one and adds a minimum bonus of 3 to all paths, on paper it sounds both powerful and versatile.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Losing 1800 skellies because the made-up Communion stubbornly refused to cast Opposition!

z43jnvt.jpg

If I didn't summon 2k skeletons par turn that could even sting, but the retardation of Dominions' spellcasting AI never ceases to amuse me. Yeah, keep blessing and summoning zombies instead of casting Soul Slay or Frozen Heart, that will help!

:lol::lol::lol:

Dayyālu

Arcane
What did the Ulmites cast? Asking for a friend.

Nothing!

Well, they took a Earthquake, that killed roughly 300 skellies and a single Grand Thaumaturg. Then their mages went to sleep thanks to Grip of Winter.

The five Golems then proceeded to kill the skellitons one at a time because the Communion and the W Mages refused to move and cast anti-thug spells. They were scripted with Opposition and Frozen Heart, even with Cold Resist 5 they would have killed easily from testing a Golem.

Yeah, I got fucked by poor casting AI and poor positioning. Also, Ulm's 33 prot infantry is worth jack shit against Falling Frost and Nether Darts, but that should not come as a surprise.

Ironically, considering that all my mages retreated safely and probably Ulm's mages didn't (besieging army) I could consider this a Soviet-style victory: 30 to 1 kill\loss ratio is still something!

mondblut

Arcane
What's a scout?

Obv. the golems grinded down half of the skeletons, I was just curious what killed the other half. 5 mages vaporizing several hundred enemies is worth inquiring. For a friend.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Obv. the golems grinded down half of the skeletons, I was just curious what killed the other half. 5 mages vaporizing several hundred enemies is worth inquiring. For a friend.

Single EQ casting and a couple Iron Blizzard? The rest of the skellies died because mindless and retreat. Ulm's mages would have been shut down even if more numerous, Grip of Winter. Their role in the battle was irrelevant.

And may I remember we have deals in place, Ys? I have not given you the most beautiful shores and a Throne province (that you still didn't claim for unknown reasons) for nothing.

:lol::lol::lol:

mondblut

Arcane
As I said, my interest is purely academic. Then again, one can never be too sure that someone else won't get bored and go all YOLO just for thrills eventually, so in absence of scouts we need to be aware of the neighbors' tools and tactics :)

a Throne province (that you still didn't claim for unknown reasons)

I am just waiting for Hruvor to clear its defenses ;)

(no, srsly, a monolith with an entourage of statues must be a perfect horror honeypot. razing it would be a crime against the rest of the world)

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yeah, NAP3 was signed in our forum PMs, page 2, and I think we went to NAP5 in steam messages.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Pretty sure NAPs mean nothing, especially late game, we all know this. It just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of friendship, you know?

sqeecoo

Arcane
I don't know, I was under the impression that we almost always abide by NAPs here on the Codex.

sqeecoo

Arcane
That's rich coming from you.

Hey, when I broke that NAP with I didn't just straight out attack, I gave you 3 turn warning, basically a NAP3. I didn't even get the courtesy of a declaration of war here, NAP forgotten or not. I was under the impression that we were waiting for the horrors, not going for wars. Wouldn't have been relaxing and dicking around otherwise.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I disagree but I'm pathologic about such things, as some of the players here may already know.

I agree with Matalarata, but I kinda completely Alzheimer'ed the NAP (checking the Pm you are kinda right). I kinda sorta believed we had the same non-deal I have with everyone else.

On my defense, "waiting for the horrors" became insanely boring and not wasting hordes of skellitons is a waste, also Ulm sincerely acted like Nazis by going on a unprovoked conquering spree against every minor he could place his claws on (ruining the magnificent little war between Man and Shinu, and then jumping on Atlantis). Your definition of "dicking around" is rather expansionist.

So.... ehm, so.... puppy! Look at the puppy!

Plus don't worry, you'll soon have a shitton of things to worry about. 15k skeletons are rather minor in the great scheme of things. Also, game was boring.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I must take my share of the blame for ruining the Man vs SY war, but I felt compelled to aid an ally that basically made no other request this whole game and had been more than cooperative with me. In any case I gave coldcrow a warning, ample oportunities to back down from the war and :popcorn: while waiting for the cataclysm and even softly suggested I was going to raid those undefended temples, many moons ago.

coldcrow, you're a legit Dominions player in my book but ffs, I'll never understand why you ruin your own games with your "diplomatic approach". We don't need to become best buddies, sometimes even basic comunication can go a long way. Instead you threatened me in the wrong thread, suicided your last good army under that firestorm and went AI, why? That's like saying fuck you to the whole game, you still had opportunities to fight back, make me pay and allow me to have some fun while at it, goddamit :argh:

Just sayin'

On a sidenote, on that stale turn I magic dueled my first pretender to death. Woot. Go me!
...I actually feel a lot less green now.

Trash Player

Scholar
Dayyālu FYI, Frozen Heart does not work on lifeless, which Golem is. Opposition is range 25, so good luck getting that close with your thaumaturgs.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Wooopppssss.

Dammit, sorry folks. Forgot to submit that turn, and I'm actually enjoying this game. :negative:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So can we extend this one for Dayyālu etc.?

Would be a shame if this final big war goes to waste due to stales by all sides.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom