Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress DECLINE 22: Primitive Proliferation

sqeecoo

Arcane
We love you Muty, don't leave!

Consider that Dayyalu didn't actually know your exact situation and whether it was justified to go AI or if it was a game-screwing fuckup like in D21. Being an administrator is a thankless job and Dayyalu does well. Except for the player lists, of course.

Last edited:

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
um also - coldcrow i saw you change your decision to not send those Tuatha fuckbois to get trampled after the rollback - (btw this is why rollbacks r so gey)

Dayyālu it's all your fault, I demand you trample coldcrow 's Tuatha fuckbois to not disrupt the space time dominuum

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I'm sorry for behaving like a rabid ape. If its any consolation, I'm at home with a fever feeling like shit fighting the flu, so what goes around comes around I guess.

Infinitum

Scholar
Q: Is sailing across enemy provinces possible, and if so does it impede movement in any way? The manual seems to imply sailing commanders can move across friendly sea province borders using 5 movement points, increased to 9 if its enemy territory but this doesn't really jive with how far it reaches in practice? Anyone know the mechanics?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Q: Is sailing across enemy provinces possible,

Yes. You can sail and jump above enemy UW provinces without problems, and if your movement points allow you can easily "jump" enemy coastal provinces.

The manual seems to imply sailing commanders can move across friendly sea province borders using 5 movement points, increased to 9 if its enemy territory but this doesn't really jive with how far it reaches in practice? Anyone know the mechanics?

Hell who knows. Older system was a tad easier to understand, now it's all second-guessing thanks to the movement points. Sailing is still crazy strong for mobility, considering that it ignores terrain maluses.

Again, the problem with the war against me isn't tactical: you can't simply rush in and gain enough provinces to offset the economy loss you are causing us both from failed expansion. Dumping gold that should be used in fort building and mage recruiting on troops is distasteful, and even if you manage to siege one of my forts you'll have to mantain for several turns an army there, break the defences, and then storm with limited mage support. IF you manage to beat my armies.

Early wars are good only if you go for a clear, quick kill (blessrushes) or for a massive late-earlygame invasion that quickly overwhelms the foe. It's the Ermor\Lemuria conundrum: a early war is useless if you lose more of what you gain, and losses should be evaluated even in lost revenue from failed expansion.

(This isn't only an attempt to save my skin, it's legit advice. Early wars should be quick. All wars should be.)

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
dirka dirka dirka berytos ...

... dirka dirka ..

Early wars are good only if you go for a clear, quick kill (blessrushes) or for a massive late-earlygame invasion that quickly overwhelms the foe. It's the Ermor\Lemuria conundrum: a early war is useless if you lose more of what you gain, and losses should be evaluated even in lost revenue from failed expansion.

(This isn't only an attempt to save my skin, it's legit advice. Early wars should be quick. All wars should be.)

Yep - if you attack someone who you are less than certain to win, if they pull out some unexpected ace then you're going to be weakened and exposed to a gang bang as well... attacking someone who's already at war is a tried and true way to get a free lunch.. at the start almost nobody can fight 2 at once.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
The first centaur casualty -

My dryad gets hit by a random arrow that does 18 damage :D - one of the centaurs, her lover - was so distressed by her death that he returned to the woods, never to be seen again

mondblut

Arcane
laPD8w0.png

Dat fucking game :despair:

Luck 0 is the new Misfortune 3 :negative:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Oh for crying out loud. Are you trying to publicly shame me into letting you complete your expansion undisturbed? I'm new to dominions, not strategy games. You know full well why that isn't an option.

No, I'm simply waiting until you realize you aren't gaining anything out of this war bar economical losses.

Do you truly think you are winning this fast?

We can dance around each other for a dozen turns at least, and the others will quietly expand, build fortresses and recruit mages. While we leave a ton of indie provinces unclaimed because reasons. You have eight provinces on turn 14: it's atrocious expansion for Dominions.

Also, I told you elephants weren't going to cut it (they almost got you, but almost is not enough. Well, gotta recruit more with the Gold I needed for labs and mages....).

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Infinitum - how many provinces does Dayyālu have?

also while we were discussing Muty's epic fail - I tried Xibalba, until you get blood economy going and a few of those sacred freespawn commanders, they are pretty pathetic in terms of expansion.

So what bless do you guys take with them - everything i've tried ended up the same - melee glass cannons and non-trivial casualties on every province cap.

Infinitum

Scholar
Not about to divulge strategic information; but think of us as Scotland and England. Dayyalu's got fertile plains, rolling hills, an easily defended position as well as a perfect spot to obtain MASTERY OF THE SEAS. I got a shite hinterland of forests and mountains and swamps and is almost completely boxed in by him. Incidentally, I also block his access to a couple of thrones, and conquering me doesn't open up any new fronts for him. Also, he stepped on my prophet and main expansion party on turn 6.

tl;dr choosing the disadvantaged war vs the unwinnable peace. Worst case scenario?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Jumping on AI Xibalba while I get into a match with Pans and you can knife me in the back efficiently? I can't even be killed by Pans now as Starspawns are in the fucking middle.

Aand you get Grimmie as a neighbour while fighting me. Grimmie is a good man, but you want to have a shitton of allies if he borders ya. This war isn't wrong from the strategical POW, but your strike was too soon. If you knifed me while I was otherwise occupied with enough numbers, it wwould have been far more effective.

Prime late earlygame war material: now we are stuck, and it's bad. Not devoid of excitement, but bad .

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Haha, that's a lucky Myrmecoleon. So close to passing out (96 fatigue due to chestwound), but my last warriors decided to pack it in.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Can we have an overview of who is fighting who? My poor scout network is missing all the interesting action!

On my end, I spawned with an immediate border on land (!) with R'lyeh and am now engaged in a death-struggle with Mekone. Like ancient Arrhachion, I think the victor of the war will be a corpse himself when crowned.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Haha, that's a lucky Myrmecoleon. So close to passing out (96 fatigue due to chestwound), but my last warriors decided to pack it in.

More like a lucky hit and wound attacking 29 Prot(still ~24 with AP modifier) with human spears. :lol:

That's why he has reinvig my friend, he would have been perfectly fine. Even with the +2 Fatigue from berserk he still only gains more from the chest wound when actively attacking. Was still at 120+HP. Basically would have been sleep>wake+attack>sleep>wake+attack etc. Don't think those 6 Nemedians would have lasted more than a couple rounds. Sigh. Guess I'll have to get a blood economy going to heal this beast.

Now...do I press the attack for this incursion into my lands? :fight:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom