Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of 'Decline of the Codex'

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Guys you need to cool off here have some rain
Comic4-1.png

This is not art by the way it's just a bunch of lines on paper

Chefe

Erudite
And yet, he keeps getting mod positions. I think KC is an alt of DU.

Redlands

Arcane
I don't know how serious this topic is, and I know I don't post or visit here much, but there are a few of points of consideration.

The first is the fact that Vince set up his Iron Tower Studio forum. I think that quite a few of the more serious posters that were still around now have two places to go and see, so you'll likely get fewer of the "good" posters spending their time here since their energies are split. And since ITSF are more strongly moderated, there probably won't be as many people

Second is the fact that quite a few people like Section8, Vault Dweller, Naked Ninja, etc. started working on their own games; isn't it likely that these people, who probably would have been making the majority of the good posts, now don't have the time any more, or even as much time? Also, given that there are a lot of lulzers, even if they (or someone else) do make a post, it's likely going to just be ruined, or turn into another piracy/decline of the codex/multiheaded dicks thread.

The third point I'd like to mention was something I've noticed recently is, to be honest, stupid threads outside of General Discussion. I don't mind a lul or two, but it seems like General Discussion is the new Retardo Land, and places like Feedback seem to becoming the new General Discussion. I do see how they are classified as such, but they then appear on the front page. This was particularly noticeable after the GD threads were removed from the front page. It almost seems as though people are trying to see how many retarded threads can appear on the front page.

The fourth is the tl;dr factor. I've got lots of weird ideas for computer games that come to me in dreams. Occasionally, I'd like to write up some stuff to see what other people think. I can't work on them at the moment, since I've already got two games in development at the moment, and I have very little spare time as it is. I'd like to write a long post. But why bother? Hardly anyone spends the time to read long posts, and I guess I'm fortunate in that I usually have to save posts to my computer so that I can read them later given the small amount of time I have access to the Internet in a day, so that I can. But even so, why bother when the chances are high that about 12-15 people maximum will respond, and if it's more it's probably down to someone posting something stupid?

I used to enjoy coming here, even if it was for lulzy things like demotivational posters or rat diplomacy - particularly when it's computer game-based or RPG-based. I'm not against lulz. I just think things have tipped too far towards that now. It's a bit disappointing, but I'm not too fussed. It's probably more disappointing for people who have been here longer or who come more often, and I don't really have much spare time anyway.

Murk

Arcane
Of course you would have a well written long post immediately after my stupid one, thus making me look like an idiot.

Can't say i was ever here for the "good times" but i can't help but think people are blowing this way out of proportion too. If you guys want proper discussions then engage in them. How many topics in RPG design forum go completely untouched by the very people complaining about this 'decline" ?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll say that RPG Discussion is very uninteresting. The topics proposed are plain boring. Some people, like Jarl Frank, are making topics there just for the sake of making topics, and I think readers notice that. No offense Jarl, your efforts are appreciated. It'd take a lot to make some cynical old Codex-guy write a long RPG Discussion post there again after so many things have already been discussed to death.

It's likely a better bet to go to the Iron Tower Forums for RPG Discussion.

[I'm not whining.]

Murk

Arcane
Heh, i guess i more or less said the same about Frank's topics but eh.

the complaints just seem... contrived. If the topics that you want to discuss have been discussed and resolved, then what's left? the post-whoring is mostly contained to general discussion anyway.

and to be honest most of the serious-business topics on iron tower's forums are... boring. I skip through most of it and only read minor excerpts since most of it is... well pointless. No offense to the posters, i'm not saying you guys are dumb or boring yourselves but what you're talking about is ... rather irrelevant to me and i'm guessing most others.

Mareus

Magister
I never really understood this decline of the codex stuff, because I am farely new to the codex and forums altogether. I didn't even spend much time reading through this thread because I thought it is just another topic made for a good laugh. However since this topic has been on the main page for so long I started reading it and some people like Mikayel, Redlands, DarkSign etc. have made quite a few points which made me think about this.

I must admit that I never came to the codex too much. Just occasionaly for a good read. What striked me the most was the ammount of insulting and provoking from some people without any consequence. On other forums the topics get closed as soon as people start ranting about something that is offtopic, or if it turns to jokes, but not here. Therefore I joined the codex for a good laugh and to exchange blows. I really had no idea what the codex stands for so in the beginning I really acted like a retard and just tried to provoke people into fight. Not really too proud of that now, because it soon became boring and every day I found very good posts here. Much better than on any other forum I have tried. A lot of people here really knew what they are talking about. Being a game freak myself I decided to show my other side, but since I was known as a retard already no one would take me seriously anymore. I guess I could have just made a new profile and start all over, but that is just not me. Anyway since this thread is a bit depressing I want to say I apologize to everyone for being a dumbfuck sometimes. I know you will all probably call me a wuss now, or even a moron for publicly humiliating myself like this, but this is something I feel I have to do after reading this. If you really got to know me, you would see I am not really a bad guy. Maybe boring a bit and all too serious, with a big sarcasm detector malefunction, but not a bad guy. If I contributed to the decline of the codex in any way I will try to be more careful in the future. Anyway... I know what's comming... so... fire away.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Once upon a time, even the decline of the Codex thread would've had more replies than this.

:declineofthedeclineofthecodex:

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Jasede said:
I'll say that RPG Discussion is very uninteresting. The topics proposed are plain boring. Some people, like Jarl Frank, are making topics there just for the sake of making topics, and I think readers notice that. No offense Jarl, your efforts are appreciated. It'd take a lot to make some cynical old Codex-guy write a long RPG Discussion post there again after so many things have already been discussed to death.

It's likely a better bet to go to the Iron Tower Forums for RPG Discussion.

[I'm not whining.]

They often talk about the same kind of shit at Iron Tower that gets ignored here because it was "resolved." If its the same people, often with the same name, why will they post there but not here? Just seems strange to me. Is the solution necromancy? Would people rather join in a restarted old topic on an issue than talk in a new one that might retread things we've already discussed?

Chefe

Erudite
Here's what happened. The good old boys either left or stayed around and went batshit insane. Right, DU? RIIIIGGGHHHTTT???

Unless you can find a cure for fucking crazy, we're all doomed.

Decline of the Codex

Texas Red

Whiner
Angler said:
Here's what happened. The good old boys either left or stayed around and went batshit insane. Right, DU? RIIIIGGGHHHTTT???

Unless you can find a cure for fucking crazy, we're all doomed.

Decline of the Codex

It's usually the new members who post about actual RPGs. Oldies tend to lulz more than you would think. Fez, for example, mostly spammed one liners, yet everyone started whining when he left. It's just nostalgia, Chefe. You don't want "friends" to leave and be replaced.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
That reminds me, I have to start playing that one day. I wonder if I actually have any of my 14 day trial left.

Murk

Arcane
is it supposed to be styled like Dragonforce (sega saturn) ?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
KC you fool, your're doing it wrong.
1184267293835cz1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom