Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of EVE Online

made

Arcane
Now I haven't touched the game in over a month except to train skills but the latest patch adds quite a lot cool stuff and since I made over a bil in the month I played I decided to invest in another plex:

- after years of begging, the game finally has UI scaling!
- Amarr captain's quarters (hell yeah!)
- pretty new nebula effects!
- engine trails!
- a new tier of battlecruisers, which I have no real use for but I bought one anyway since it looks like this:

oracle.jpg

Yes, I'm a sucker for their ship designs.

Sul

Savant
A player cannot achieve anything in an MMO. There is no progress, the story is persistent. The quest to find King Harold's Golden Testicles must still be there when Marcus comes along after Peter has just been there.

This is essentially means zero player impact on the game world. So why, again, would you want such an experience in a world you treasure?
Everquest and WoW clones? Sure, it's exactly how you say. But when it comes to sandbox MMORPGs like Ultima Online, EVE and Darkfall the player decides the "story" and how the gameworld advance. A single group of PCs can dramastically affect the experience of others.

Just an example of how sandbox MMORPGs can be different of your EQ/WoW clone.

SoupNazi

All you really need to show people how EVE Online is amazing is that story where one organization (the Guiding Hand) plants an insider into the most powerful faction (Ubiqua Seraph corporation), who seduces the leader and gains access to all the faction's resources, and then in a single, galaxy-spanning sweep, Ubiqua Seraph corporation is destroyed by the Guiding Hand and robbed of trillions of the game currency (which translates to like, thousands of USD). And then you find out that the Guiding Hand caused all that destruction simply because they were hired by some butthurt player, who just wanted to see the leader of that major faction killed and humiliated. The player even gave up any loot, it all came to the Guiding Hand. Fucking amazing.

Coincidentally, here's a link for the story: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/180867/features/murder-incorporated/

garren

Arcane
Patron
Kinda offtopic but since I can't be arsed to make a new topic here's a video of the Vampire the Masquerade MMO CCP Games is making:

Remember that a lot of the tech from the vampire MMO will probably be ported to EVE.

All you really need to show people how EVE Online is amazing is that story where one organization (the Guiding Hand) plants an insider into the most powerful faction (Ubiqua Seraph corporation), who seduces the leader and gains access to all the faction's resources, and then in a single, galaxy-spanning sweep, Ubiqua Seraph corporation is destroyed by the Guiding Hand and robbed of trillions of the game currency (which translates to like, thousands of USD). And then you find out that the Guiding Hand caused all that destruction simply because they were hired by some butthurt player, who just wanted to see the leader of that major faction killed and humiliated. The player even gave up any loot, it all came to the Guiding Hand. Fucking amazing.

Coincidentally, here's a link for the story: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/180867/features/murder-incorporated/

That says nothing about the game, just that people online are assholes to each other. The same shit has happened with facebook, is facebook an amazing game?

SoupNazi

The fact that it's even possible to do that in this game - unlike any other MMO - is what makes it amazing.

xemous

Arcane
i just want to let u guys know that xemous was my eve characters name back in 2003-2004 when i played. i scammed over 1.5bn isk which was a lot back them. i pioneered the art of 69,899.99 (looks like million to the naked eye) buy orders and sell orders 34,899,999.99 (thousand to the naked eye)

people would associate the item general value and the mind would ignore the missing or additional zeros. eve tried to remedy it by adding in the "this item is 1204% above the regional average" so it's effectiveness would've been reduced.

i refunded casual female players if they sent me an angry evemail because i felt remorse, but i gloated when i scammed the younger and more competitive players.

because of the near endless isk i had a series of scorpions all outfitted the same (before they fucked up EW and just make u train more skills in missiles for the more or less the same effect, prolonging the game)

i used them for piracy in low security and null sec zones. teaming up with other rogue pirates to attack the weakling miners was interesting. the pirates rarely attacked eachother and were very honorable and well organised. you could trust them. there was a bond that we are the predators (much like in the real life , predators prefer cooperation rather than competition.

eve is a role playing game and thus my actions have nothing to do with real life. the piracy / high risk competitive nature of the game interested me and i thought everyone would have a thick skin and join in, but it also attracted a large player base that enjoyed the ambient space exploration aspects and attacking these people was bitter sweet.

all the additions they've added and the influx the massive amounts of new players broke the dynamic of priates vs newbians. before u could be a predator flying for 1-2 hours looking for a kill in a lonely set of systems. now, if you warp into a low sec system you get jumped by 20 hacs. you need to specifically outfit and plan for every action in the game, and need friends and cooperation from other guilds to get what u want. it's a different eve than it was years ago. it's a sausage fest, and i dont like it.

xemous

Arcane
the one new addition which is very interesting is playing the eve market by docking a series of characters in major trade hubs and putting up buy / sell orders. i've never done this but i've read a lot of about it and if i ever play again i will try the trading commerce route instead.

the trade moguls in eve make even the worst scammers look good, the amount of isk these bastards rake in rivals medium corporations.

xemous

Arcane
i played the game again for a few months in 2009 and i can confirm if you max out all the relevant skills you can essentially recreate the old scorpion to a degree by using the new widow (you wont be able to destroy the smaller ships like before because of the missile changes but the new drone changes should remedy that)

unfortunately the ship is very expensive (500+ mil) unlike the disposable scorpion

5883019321_c84ae7ae40_b_d.jpg

made

Arcane
the one new addition which is very interesting is playing the eve market by docking a series of characters in major trade hubs and putting up buy / sell orders. i've never done this but i've read a lot of about it and if i ever play again i will try the trading commerce route instead.

the trade moguls in eve make even the worst scammers look good, the amount of isk these bastards rake in rivals medium corporations.
I once made half a bil in one day just hauling Scorch crystals from a neighbouring system to Amarr where they had shot up in price by 200% due to low supply. It's easy money but depending on who you compete with you have to sit online and adjust prices every few mins or your stuff won't sell, which is just as exciting as it sounds.

Destroid

Arcane
^^ Reminds me of beta where everyone was mining in the start system. Lot of cash to be made hauling all those minerals one system over :lol:

Had some pretty fun times cruising low sec with a pal in a pair of plate ruptures. And running away from gate campers in my nos dominix.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
pff i dont care, as long has he doesnt turn eve online into cockmunching faggotry with giant dicks hanging from every planet (i.e. he is a goon) I don't care much. also at the current point it is statistically much harder to decline than incline eve online.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Is that a women or a man? I don't know what to feel: attraction or repulse ... why the fuck did I click on a Eve thread!? ...

Sul

Savant
Is he/she/it even real? I always thought this whole "die CIS scum" and people without gender were internet bullshit.
The more you know...

mondblut

Arcane
I haven't heard of a single new nWOD supplement after Geist though.

And the 20th anniversary edition is good stuff, but it's loaded with bullshit on the business end. Only direct order release? No retail? Limited print? ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS?!

At least it started getting through pnp devs' thick skulls that people don't want the hyped "new shit" (tm). They love old stuff and hate to see it broken. Now WW is slowly bringing back OWOD, WOTC is reprinting 1ed AD&D in a bulk (and now 2ed core rules are announced to be reissued, not to mention the entire TSR back catalogue being put on drivethroughrpg in pdf shape). This, gentlemen, is the revolution. It is the closest they can come to saying "Okay. We give in. We fucked up royally with that last edition, so sorry. You can have the toys you wanted back, sigh" without shutting down their entire operations.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
To be honest, in case of WoD the rules aren't an issue at all as in case of both the rules are more of a streamlined vehicle (I'll also add that IMO Promethean is the best game White Wolf ever made), and in case of AD&D the 3rd Edition and *especially* Pathfinder are immensily superior in all respects.

mondblut

Arcane
To be honest, in case of WoD the rules aren't an issue at all as in case of both the rules are more of a streamlined vehicle (I'll also add that IMO Promethean is the best game White Wolf ever made), and in case of AD&D the 3rd Edition and *especially* Pathfinder are immensily superior in all respects.

Well, 3e is alive and well, WOTC shot themselves in the head with giving it away as OGL, now it is hijacked by others and there is no way reissued 3e could compete with Pathfinder, this train is long gone. On the other hand, 2e is infinitely superior to 3e in terms of published settings.

Ditto with WOD, even 8 years after OWOD was shot down, its setting and metaplot are way more influential than anything nWOD (aka "no, that's some other game about vampires").

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Well, 3e is alive and well, WOTC shot themselves in the head with giving it away as OGL, now it is hijacked by others and there is no way reissued 3e could compete with Pathfinder, this train is long gone. On the other hand, 2e is infinitely superior to 3e in terms of published settings.

Ditto with WOD, even 8 years after OWOD was shot down, its setting and metaplot are way more influential than anything nWOD (aka "no, that's some other game about vampires").
Absolutely correct, though in case of 2e I would say that there's nothing stopping you from using the setting material for any other system. I don't think I've ever played (or even been around) a Pathfinder game set in the official setting. With WoD, White Wolf is worse off because the rules are intrinsically linked to the setting. I still tip my hat off to WW for actually having the balls to provide their own ending to their metaplot though (and I did like the fact their new games were a lot lighter on the metaplot), don't remember anyone else doing that. CthulhuTech recently got a new sourcebook, which basically just sidesteps the whole thing and keeps more filler happening in the metaplot, hell it even says that "no you shouldn't let the players make Operation Final Strike succeed", with the obvious subtext being "because we can't come up with shit otherwise" with most of the book just introducing more ongoing metaplot.

One thing I digged about Godlike was that it came with the fully contained metaplot in the first book, though they kind of cheated because the metaplot is "WW2 happens, but you have superpeople in addition to tanks and airplanes."

On an entirely related note, Beckett can go choke on a dick. And Elminster can suffocate himself by climbing up Beckett's dead ass.

mondblut

Arcane
Absolutely correct, though in case of 2e I would say that there's nothing stopping you from using the setting material for any other system.

Oh no, there is something called WOTC that is very likely to stop you from using their setting material for any other system. As for using it themselves, a multitude of settings resulting in "market fragmentation" is believed to be one of the things that toppled TSR in the first place, so WOTC is unlikely to step into it all over again.

At least they did outsource Ravenloft and Dragonlance to third parties back in the day. But not any longer, and none of others were as lucky. Instead we've got a fucking Eberron. Who needs some fucking Eberron, let alone "the Default D&D Setting (TM), yay", when there are Planescape and Birthright gathering dust on shelves?

I don't think I've ever played (or even been around) a Pathfinder game set in the official setting. With WoD, White Wolf is worse off because the rules are intrinsically linked to the setting. I still tip my hat off to WW for actually having the balls to provide their own ending to their metaplot though (and I did like the fact their new games were a lot lighter on the metaplot), don't remember anyone else doing that.

Well, in the end their balls weren't as large as they thought:

In another reality, the Time of Judgment came, a Red Star its herald. The world ended, either through mass Ascension, war, or catastrophe. Yet, here we are in 2012, our world for the moment still spinning. For us, the Red Star was not a harbinger of doom, but a passing moment of curiosity, instilling dread in those most paranoid.

That's from NWO Convention Book. For Ascension. Released a couple of months ago. OWOD is marching back fulltime.

On an entirely related note, Beckett can go choke on a dick. And Elminster can suffocate himself by climbing up Beckett's dead ass.

Fuck you. Beckett is cool. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom