Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ded rising 3

A horse of course

Couldn't see any threads. Anyone else been playing this? Although I prefer the ps4 for the better grafix, I have to say that this has been the best of the four or five exclusive launch titles I've tried (especially compared to the godawful Shadow Fall).

In short, they ditched the mall in favour of a large city (four super-areas connected by bridges) and removed time limits in regular mode (although side-missions still have a fairly generous countdown metre). The overall feeling is that there's a greater emphasis on open-world exploration and item collection. Whilst you do have to take stock of the layout of the city and general environment (it's often useful to clamber your way up buildings to try and get a good vantage point), there's very little pressure to minimize travel times or find shortcuts whcih I found necessary in the previous games. It's also save-anywhere in normal difficulty, so no mad rush to the nearest toilets to record progress.

Overall it's a pretty lenient, casual-friendly game for people who just want to screw around, carve up zombies or chase collectibles. Still, getting stuck in a crowd of zombies will mess you up, even with melee weaoons, and health only regenerates (to a point) once you get enough perks. Speaking of crowds, the density of the zombie hordes is based upon story (or presumably countdown, in nightmare mode) progression. In the early chapters they're numerous but pretty easily avoided. Mid-way through the game, you're going to start running into serious problems and will make more of an effort to take alternate routes (through department stores, rooftops etc.) or scavenge vehicles. By the final three chapters, the streets are packed like overstuffed tuna cans, with zombies in the the high double digits or more backed up by elite versions (who aren't really relevant if you're just trying to avoid them).

This was the least enjoyable portion of the game for me, partly because the framerate takes a beating when the game tries to render these numbers, and quite frankly because getting around just ends up something of a chore, with no time to really poke around in nearby buildings before the windows break down and you have to run like hell again. I'm playing the first DLC episode, which changes some of the side-quests whilst letting you continue collecting vanilla items, but it seems to be set at night time in the latter chapters, which sucks.

tl;dr if you end up getting an xbawks in a year or two, pick this up as a goty edition or w/e. Don't expect a hardcore survivalist experience or anything like that.

Angthoron

Arcane
Will prolly pick up the PC version some day, so, would like to know if the inventory space is still kinda non-existent (because realism in a game where you can make laser beam carnival masks?), or can you hold more items now? I really liked the whole "find shit and make superweapons out of it" aspect, but the inventory always made me rage - especially considering how you'd end up with all the superweapons broken to bits/depleted in like 30 seconds. How's this aspect in 3?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lots o' text.

I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different from a Derp Rising game? The first two were just retarded zombie killing fun... who would think the third would be some hardcore survivalist experience?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Even try-hards like Cassidy and FeelTheRads have heard of it!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Anyone else been playing this?

Well no, what turned me off was the boring gameplay. It was always more of a "making fun of" game than serious zombie threat. Made me fall asleep even when watching on the tube. Can't wait for "Dying Light" though.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Anyone else been playing this?

Well no, what turned me off was the boring gameplay. It was always more of a "making fun of" game than serious zombie threat. Made me fall asleep even when watching on the tube. Can't wait for "Dying Light" though.

Isn't that being made by the Dead Island guys? Not exactly inspiring confidence in DL...though I'll probably D1P anyway.

Last edited:
Lots o' text.

I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different from a Derp Rising game? The first two were just retarded zombie killing fun... who would think the third would be some hardcore survivalist experience?

Never played it (don't own a console), but from what I gathered, the 1st DR was a hard game to 'win' - i.e. it presented as a 'run around having fun killing zombies for 24 in-game hours', but it was difficult and something of a bonus to find and get through the actual story content (partly because the game lent itself to you just skipping it, without necessarily getting far enough along to find out what is happening), in time to escape the maill before the military bomb it and trigger the 'another 4 hours' endgame outside the mall.

Could be completely wrong - as I said, never played any of them. Just a thing I repeatedly heard though, along with comments that they ditched that approach after the 1st one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No such thing as excloooooooooooooosive when there's additional money to be made. They put DR2 on PC. That said, I'm sure it'll take another two years.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
^ Fuck the consoles. :smug:

tl;dr if you end up getting an xbawks in a year or two, pick this up as a goty edition or w/e. Don't expect a hardcore survivalist experience or anything like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed messing around with Dead Rising 2 for 5-10 hours. The mouse control seemed assy though so I had to use a gamepad, which I dislike doing. It was nice looking and kind of open world though, and the "grab something to kill zombies with from the store you're in" thing was a good concept.

I'd buy 3 on PC. The toned down time limit stuff would make me enjoy it more, I suspect.

Martius

Liturgist
It looks like Qloc will make this so port so it should be decent at least.

I'm interested in playing this, even if Dead Rising 2 was nowhere as good as the first one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You should D1P me a copy instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom