Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demise: Ascension - is anyone else here playing it?

Stabwound

Arcane
I mean, games like Wizardry are tough, but you can generally tend to complete them even if you don't sperg out. In Demise, you seriously will not be able to complete the game if you don't speg out on your characters beforehand. You will just get annihilated after a certain point because you didn't get your guys enough HP or things like that.

And there can't be one person in the world that thinks the pinning system of levelling is a good idea.

Other than that, I love the concept. In Wiz 6+, you can really sperg out on your characters, but it's not necessary. In Demise, you have to sperg out, and it's about 100x more complicated than Wiz 7 without exaggeration.

covr

Prophet
Patron
FFS, final version is still not out. See here http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php
Decklin seems to be fixing one bug per month. I've been waiting for this much too long. I've been addicted to this game between the year 2000 and 2003. For the next 10 years I've been waiting for expansion. Now I've got wife and kids, steady job, and I'm fucking pissed.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
FFS, final version is still not out. See here http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php
Decklin seems to be fixing one bug per month. I've been waiting for this much too long. I've been addicted to this game between the year 2000 and 2003. For the next 10 years I've been waiting for expansion. Now I've got wife and kids, steady job, and I'm fucking pissed.

you're not only one bro....

Dorateen

Arcane
In this sense, it is kind of like the Grimoire superdmo. It's still a beta, not a finished product. There is an indefinite timetable for any sort of relase. But there's a hell of a lot of enjoyable content in the Ascension expansion as it is.

Outmind

Augur

Yeah, a family will do that to a personeventually.

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with picking demise up now and playing it. I bought ascension last year 2 years ago during a sale after having played rise of the kutan earlier and the original mordor and the demo for 2 earlier than that even. Having patched and started the game up a few weeks ago for the xth time I can say that the changes made in 1 year 2 years are miniscule - he added a party spell command, and changed the text color for your characters' successful hits. That's it at first glance. Maybe here were a couple of bug fixes (that one bug at the area with 2 pits on lvl 1 is gone) and stuff I'm not aware of, but everything else is basically the same. Since the official release date is, what, this fall?, i doubt that he will add anything else. So either get the game or patch your old version and start hacking. You've got a ways to go till lvl 35

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Well, I don't like playing beta versions, so I will wait for the gold release. Also, I've bought that game twice in the early 00', I'm not gonna pay Decklin for 10 years of waiting. Maybe someone at TPB will do the right thing and upload the game when it will be finished.

tindrli

Arcane
Well, I don't like playing beta versions, so I will wait for the gold release. Also, I've bought that game twice in the early 00', I'm not gonna pay Decklin for 10 years of waiting. Maybe someone at TPB will do the right thing and upload the game when it will be finished.

Maybe it will be in a home of the underdogs right after its release...

Reapa

Doom Preacher
is there any way to see what's behind doors before stepping through them for the first time?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
is it normal that all of a sudden all characters need over 200000 experience for the next level?
EDIT: restarting the game solved the issue.

covr

Prophet
Patron
It is a different and unofficial expansion. The official one is much bigger.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh, I didn't realize that. For some reason I thought Decklins had the legal right to sell it or something.

tindrli

Arcane
Oh, I didn't realize that. For some reason I thought Decklins had the legal right to sell it or something.

he did, but seems that there is some legal stuff that was uncleared or something (i forgot) so Archi DTR demise was free to download for years

Zeriel

Arcane
So, I've been playing this again like I tend to do every few years, going all the way back to the original Mordor II beta. I've been running a optimized ninja mushpot and that's been lovely, but I'm starting to have an identity crisis around dungeon level 9 as I wonder what the point of doing a solo mushpot is. I mean, you probably at some point want multiple characters in singleplayer if only to have multiple greenie points to teleport to, more mana than one character can have for healing, etc.

It makes me wonder why I'm eating up the XP penalty for a mushpot when I could just make 4 characters with the same amount of levels in single guilds who do a better job together. Anyone still playing this? Any thoughts on that dilemma?

Does anyone run solo characters all the way down to the bottom?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Started DTR up, 20+ years after Mordor and I never realized until now how good such game made the process of exploration.

Anyway, full party from the start, all elves. Slowly pushing into 5 now but these fucking stoners demons are annoying.

Zeriel

Arcane
Started DTR up, 20+ years after Mordor and I never realized until now how good such game made the process of exploration.

Anyway, full party from the start, all elves. Slowly pushing into 5 now but these fucking stoners demons are annoying.

Easiest way to deal with them is high dex. Nastrums are super weak (also super low XP, but nevermind that), so if you get the first strike and have at least 3 attacks you'll generally destroy them before they ever attack. It does suck when you get unlucky with max dex and they still stone you first that 1% of the time.

You eventually can get 95% resist to everything, but that's a very late-game (level 300+ for warlock) thing.

covr

Prophet
Patron
So, I've been playing this again like I tend to do every few years, going all the way back to the original Mordor II beta. I've been running a optimized ninja mushpot and that's been lovely, but I'm starting to have an identity crisis around dungeon level 9 as I wonder what the point of doing a solo mushpot is. I mean, you probably at some point want multiple characters in singleplayer if only to have multiple greenie points to teleport to, more mana than one character can have for healing, etc.

It makes me wonder why I'm eating up the XP penalty for a mushpot when I could just make 4 characters with the same amount of levels in single guilds who do a better job together. Anyone still playing this? Any thoughts on that dilemma?

Hmm, Demise was made to be played solo. However multicharacter playthrough is much more fun, there is so much interesting classes and possibilities in this game that I can't resist it. It is a great game, someday I will buy that whole Ascension thing. Now it is just too expensive. 32.50 USD is fucking too much for a game I have already own (two original copies).

Zeriel

Arcane

Hmm, Demise was made to be played solo. However multicharacter playthrough is much more fun, there is so much interesting classes and possibilities in this game that I can't resist it. It is a great game, someday I will buy that whole Ascension thing. Now it is just too expensive. 32.50 USD is fucking too much for a game I have already own (two original copies).

There's really no reason to buy Ascension. The original game is more than most people will ever play--and the DTR version is free.

As far as solo goes, yeah, it's not that big of a deal, but from what I hear levels 27-32 can be a slog solo. You basically need to outlevel everything and brute force it solo. The main thing I'm missing as a solo mushpot is the multiple greenie binds. Dungeon travel time really starts to slow you down, and the really powerful teleport spells aren't available until the game is almost over.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Easiest way to deal with them is high dex. Nastrums are super weak (also super low XP, but nevermind that), so if you get the first strike and have at least 3 attacks you'll generally destroy them before they ever attack. It does suck when you get unlucky with max dex and they still stone you first that 1% of the time.

Yea it's 95% of the time not a problem...
Then it's a problem...
Then it's a fucking 0.0001% "That ONE time" party wipe.

There are so many fights, traps and whatnot going on so fast that these weeeeeeee "never gonna happen" chances actually happen and really fuck you over. Well, it's just annoying really since all my chars are maxed CON already (elves!) with books to spare and money coming out of their ears.

Bit like my thief failing first thing a random "piece of cake" teleporter chest on level 4 while heading to 5 and getting sent deep into the water area...You know..."luck" :)

As a note, it's the "good fun" annoying, also known as !FUN

Zeriel

Arcane

Yea it's 95% of the time not a problem...
Then it's a problem...
Then it's a fucking 0.0001% "That ONE time" party wipe.

There are so many fights, traps and whatnot going on so fast that these weeeeeeee "never gonna happen" chances actually happen and really fuck you over. Well, it's just annoying really since all my chars are maxed CON already (elves!) with books to spare and money coming out of their ears.

Bit like my thief failing first thing a random "piece of cake" teleporter chest on level 4 while heading to 5 and getting sent deep into the water area...You know..."luck" :)

As a note, it's the "good fun" annoying, also known as !FUN

It always seems to happen to me when I'm at the end of a run, with 20K+ gold and pinned. So, yeah, annoying, but it's for me it's gotten to something that happens once every 20 runs or so instead of once every run.

I do really appreciate when the fuck-ups are my fault. Demise has some pretty cool mechanics that promote that. I wish "teleport through wall to square on the other side" spell was a staple of blobbers. It's really interesting. Even once you're not an idiot who will rock yourself, there's still stuff like what happened to me the other day. I like to use Ethereal Portal to skip tedious reroutes and to find unexplored rooms without trekking halfway across the map. Always use detect rock if I don't know what's on the other side first of course, but in this case the teleport put me right into empty air, which then fell down into a water area on a level I'd never been to before. I ended up drowning in the dark, but hey, it was my fault.

Stat items are an early game thing, yeah. You won't have much use for them after you're over the initial hump, aside from twinking new characters. The age reducer potions are very nice, though. Especially once you get down to the lower levels where "waiting for rescuers" can take years. Especially if you're playing solo. That's a good reason to play with parties, I guess.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Because of you I want to play this game again. Never went lower than 20 level or so. To bad I don't have spare 500 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom