Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demise: Ascension - is anyone else here playing it?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Yea I really enjoy the pure exploration feeling, with all the tools provided through items, spells, class abilities and whatnot, and the punishing dangers with it.

All my dudes are elves so I'm good on time I think. 450 years without any age reducer, that'd take some major fuck-ups to die from. I'm also full party, just prefer it that way really.

So far I got my dudes at:
- Elf Neutral, Artisan (28), Explorer (28), Sorcerer (7)
- Elf, Neutral, Artisan (28), Thief (28), Paladin (15)
- Elf Good, Artisan (28), Cleric (17), Paladin (15)
- Elf Good, Artisan (28), Paladin (27), Magi (7)

Pushing through 5 and 6 better now, but gonna raise some more to 28 then go more single focus for a while. Probably not optimized and shit but who cares :)

Anyway, good fun and checking new doors or finding new monsters is butt clenching sometimes :)

Zeriel

Arcane
Does anyone know what Fighting Ability actually does, in a precise mechanical sense? I am ashamed to say I have been playing this game since the 90's and still don't know. The name and some FAQs (ancient stuff) suggest it affects melee damage, but there's no hard info.

Yea I really enjoy the pure exploration feeling, with all the tools provided through items, spells, class abilities and whatnot, and the punishing dangers with it.

All my dudes are elves so I'm good on time I think. 450 years without any age reducer, that'd take some major fuck-ups to die from. I'm also full party, just prefer it that way really.

So far I got my dudes at:
- Elf Neutral, Artisan (28), Explorer (28), Sorcerer (7)
- Elf, Neutral, Artisan (28), Thief (28), Paladin (15)
- Elf Good, Artisan (28), Cleric (17), Paladin (15)
- Elf Good, Artisan (28), Paladin (27), Magi (7)

Pushing through 5 and 6 better now, but gonna raise some more to 28 then go more single focus for a while. Probably not optimized and shit but who cares :)

Anyway, good fun and checking new doors or finding new monsters is butt clenching sometimes :)

Yeah, age is mostly irrelevant for elves. For humans it's more of an issue, so you really like those potions of youth, especially once you start running into monsters who age you a year with every hit. I just started leveling a party after a while of just using my solo mushpot, and man... what a difference. Having even 3 characters with multiple swings almost makes damage spells for aoe obsolete, you get so many swings.

tindrli

Arcane
Does anyone know what Fighting Ability actually does, in a precise mechanical sense? I am ashamed to say I have been playing this game since the 90's and still don't know. The name and some FAQs (ancient stuff) suggest it affects melee damage, but there's no hard info.

Same here..I do remember having tons of FAQs and tips but they are all history now

Emmanuel2

Savant
Can D:TR be solo'd all the way through?

I'm at floor 5 right now with a Neutral Human Warrior (33) / Warlock (13) and still pushing fine and rather fast (almost mapped half).

I just wanted to ask so that my 7:45 hours isn't all that wasted due to playing through with a single character.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I'm at floor 5 right now with a Neutral Human Warrior (33) / Warlock (13) and still pushing fine and rather fast (almost mapped half).
I just wanted to ask so that my 7:45 hours isn't all that wasted due to playing through with a single character.

Is it "possible"? I'd say sure, no hard coded limitation that I know of.
Is it "possible" within a lifetime without going insane? Not sure...

In any case, if it's not, just make new characters and they'll still benefit from all the shit your other character brought up and mapped and whatnot.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not like partying is appreciably quicker--in fact, party leveling takes even longer. It's just that on the last few levels of the dungeon a party trivializes challenges that will be brutal for a single character. Thing is, most people will quit long before reaching that point, so I wouldn't consider it a problem for most players.

To give you a sense of scale for dungeon level 5, there are 32 dungeon levels in total in the base game, and another 3 after that in DTR.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
And levels past 4-5 take longer and longer to explore/deal with/survive/whatnot. I mean it doesn't get easier as you go down as far as I know.

Zeriel

Arcane
And levels past 4-5 take longer and longer to explore/deal with/survive/whatnot. I mean it doesn't get easier as you go down as far as I know.

The "getting there and back" part gets ridiculously easy at the point that you can cast (without greenies) open mystic portal and the teleport to grid X,Y,Z spell. But you get them really late. Last I checked I think the treatise for them is like... level 23 drop?

That's a point that would make things a little easier for multiplayer. You could join guilds from level 1 that will already have that treatise and can teach you the spell early. Downside of multiplayer is you are playing a solo character, so, yep, enjoy that. Overall I'd say singleplayer is much easier, it's just that it takes a lot longer and you don't have the benefit of being "twinked" by the community (i.e the server's store, guild treatises, and other stocked features).

Zeriel

Arcane
vyvzwB3.png

This guy walks up and slaps your girlfriend's ass. What do you do?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Very nice.
Been a while since I've read and old school "just game facts and information" review.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I love the aesthetics of the original Mordor, especially the monster graphics, man, I never finished it despite sinking lots of time into it, but overall it was definitely worth it

Outmind

Augur
I'm glad people enjoy the review. It has been long overdue and there is no one to blame but myself.

mutonizer - I'll take that as a compliment! As a kid in the 90s I used to devour the local gaming magazines and since information was scarce/ the internet new you really had to rely on the opinions of game journalists from that time to help you choose a game. I remember having read the review for PS:T maybe 10+ times and drooling over it with yearning.

Grauken - I completely agree! The monster artwork is fantastic and unique. I wanted to throw together a collage of sorts for the book, but since Felipepepe had already picked the screenshots, and they all serve a purpose, people will have to be contented with the Kyu lanmo, Margoyle and I'suss. If people reading this would like to take a closer look and see what we mean by fantastic artwork, head on over to the unofficial wiki's monster section:

http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=List_of_Monsters

If i had to choose a few that stand out vividly, I'd go with

Dimeon:
MON9.jpg

Gredlan Rogue:
MON4.jpg

Giant centipede:
MON23.jpg

Illusionist:
MON66.jpg

And, of course, Munsae:
MON8.jpg

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
mutonizer - I'll take that as a compliment! As a kid in the 90s I used to devour the local gaming magazines and since information was scarce/ the internet new you really had to rely on the opinions of game journalists from that time to help you choose a game. I remember having read the review for PS:T maybe 10+ times and drooling over it with yearning.
As an adolescent in the 90s myself, I totally meant it as a compliment since I pretty much was doing the exact same things that you described.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Hi, my four-piece party has died on level 3. What is the best strategy to rescue them?
I think I must create a new character, then
1. pay for a official rescue team, but I have no so much money :( Had it been better if I used the bank for money storing? Anyway then do I have to wait for rescuing them? Till I have to use my rescue chars binding my time?
2. level up my rescue character and grab the corpses back to town? It is dangerous, my first two rescue characters died too so I have now six corpse in the dungeon already.

Any other option?

Great game, it is very addictive :)

Dorateen

Arcane
If I remember correctly, when you have a full party wipe, you get a screen that immediately gives you the option to bring the characters back to the Morgue, at the cost of all your gold and the penalty of time passing, or leave your characters in the Dungeon to be rescued. It sounds like you left them there, which only gives you the choice of creating a new character who would have to raise the funds to rescue them or start building up additional characters to form your own rescue party. Of course, you will need to make them strong enough to survive the trip down to the spot where you died. It's not uncommon in this game to run multiple teams. I had a roster full of "support" characters in addition the main party. It is still early enough (Levels 1 - 3) that in developing members of your rescue team, some of them could turn out to be the primary characters you continue on with exploring the dungeon. The same starter advice would apply, that you should be looking for tomes on the first couple of levels and try to max out those ability scores.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom