Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Demons or devils?

nikolokolus

Arcane
If we're talking the implied cosmos of the D&D game, then Devils are definintely more interesting, since they are easier to play as manipulative charmers when you introduce them as NPCs. "Chaotic Evil" demons on the other hand usually work better as implements of terror. So "better" depends I guess.

Would always side with the devils (lawful evil), except until in PS:T where the disguised demons (chaotic evil) in the bar ask TNO whether, if something big and oppressive was going to try and stomp on him, would he rather it be an individual enemy or a faceless bureaucracy. Put it that way, and I always pick the demons' option.

It's sort of like real life. If I'm answering sensibly, I believe community is important, and that it's a necessary evil to have an advanced bureaucratic state simply because everywhere that doesn't have that doesn't have community. I.e. you can talk about libertarian ideals or pre-Lenin Marxism
(horse-shoe theory again - people forget that Marx was all 'after the workers win the revolution, we dissolve the state and there's no government', and things will magically work, just like pure libertarianism)
all you like, but the reality of anarchy isn't kids in black masks breaking shit in London (I always found it hilarious how the UK 'anarchists' would be so organised as to give the city council advance notice of their riots, so all the office staff could get out the way 'move aside everyone, riot scheduled for 1pm...' - so damn English:)), it's Somalia.

Which everyone knows. It's just that there's this little voice at the back of your mind, the same one that thinks mushroom clouds are beautiful in a certain sense, that just wants to you to side with anarchy:)

in PS:T where the disguised demons (chaotic evil) in the bar

Aethelgrin and Tegarin are disguised demons? Are you sure?

Pretty sure there's only one disguised demon (should have used singular), and yes he's in human form and asks you the aforementioned question. If you're haven't fucked around with the game enough to attack him and had him turn demon-form, then I'm already insanely jealous of you right now. You've almost certainly got enough material for at least one more genuinely rewarding playthrough of PS:T.

Last edited:

opium fiend

Augur
Hm, I finished the game once and had a couple of half-playthroughs and can't remember that guy at all. I remember the question but not the NPC. Well, your LP has already made me itch for another go.

Xorphitus

Scholar
Since daemons are not an option I will go with devils. Besides Orcus the only thing about the Abyss that is interesting is Lolth. With the Nine Hells there is Asmodeus, Dispater, Mephistopheles, and though not a devil Tiamat also lives in the first Hell. Then there are Pit Fiends which are very badass.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
TzcphZX.jpg

Which is better and why? Discuss!!!

wFafIJ2.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Since daemons are not an option I will go with devils. Besides Orcus the only thing about the Abyss that is interesting is Lolth. With the Nine Hells there is Asmodeus, Dispater, Mephistopheles, and though not a devil Tiamat also lives in the first Hell. Then there are Pit Fiends which are very badass.

Some incarnations of Graz'zt are pretty cool, but yeah, devils win the flavour-battle without breaking a sweat

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
He's competing with Baalzebul though, who in a couple of ways is a cooler version. Also: Mammon. Man all the archdevils are just awesome except like the Hag-Queen or whatever

Neanderthal

Arcane
To be honest I think Tharizdun (an all his aspects an shards) an unknowable aspect on his horrific being serves as a better villain than either, Blood Wars cool an all, an concept o Great Ring an petitioner system, but that timeless, eldritch horror that cannot be even concieved on wi out madness trumps it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom