Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Depressed with current games: what to look forward to?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Basically I was a bit bored this week and have been frantically looking for something cool to play. But I ended up starting up yet another game of ''they are billions'' because I couldn't find anything new to play.

I also realized that - especially for RPGs - there's not a lot I'm looking forward to. Am I missing something or are there very few promising RPGs in development right now?

Anyway these are the game I DO look forward to, just to cheer myself up. Any other games you would mention that are promising?

• Octopath Traveller
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Phoenix Point
  • Phantom Doctrine
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Spire of Sorcery
  • Griftlands
  • Disco Elysium
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall (maybe)
  • Ghosts of Tsushima (potentially)
  • Vampyr (possibly)
  • Artifact (who knows)

Vampyr, Call of Cthulhu, The Sinking City, Greedfall, Stygian, Project Indiana, Eidolons, Dicks of ISIL, Cyberpunk 2077, Imperator, Octopus City Blues, The Endless Cylinder and just generally any ACE Team game.

Cael

Arcane
I wouldn't anticipate anything.

The current crop of Western game developers are... wanting in the extreme. Not sure about the Asian developers as that is not my scene in terms of games.

mwnn85

Savant
My list really only consists of these few but I'd welcome any pleasant surprises.
  • Phoenix Point
  • Phantom Doctrine
  • Necromunda: Underhive Wars
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (If released on PC - I doubt it will)
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall (Giving it a half chance - AoW3 was solid entry)
  • Xenonauts 2 (If they can fix the dull, shitty combat, line of sight issues, literally every insignificant map object blocking shots, bullet sponge enemies/unreliable damage, etc. I think trained soldiers should be able to land aimed shots fairly reliably at close distances. All they ever seem to do is shoot each other in the back or spray wildly! It feels like a bad mix of classic xcom and new xcom)
  • They are Billions
I don't expect Wasteland 3 to be anything more than dumbed down console shit. Fargo hasn't delivered with any of the Kickstarter projects. Why ever did they drop the Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes mechanics to substitute it with that garbage system?
Underworld Ascendant and System Shock 3 could go either way. They've got those old Looking Glass Studios credentials but will they make horrible concessions? Spector made a complete dogs dinner of Deus Ex 2.
The System Shock remaster has been a complete cock up so far as well.

I'm sure they'll be a few fun indie games like Door Kickers: Action Squad that'll be worth a quick playthrough.
I've got a bunch of already released games to get through at some point i.e. OKAMI HD, Sanctus Reach, Dark Souls 3, etc.

Last edited:
The second decline is real and it is here. In many ways, it is worse than the first one, because it is less obvious. Between the Kickstarter and nostalgia games and an occasional gem, there is this notion that we are out of the woods, but we are really not. If you look at how many games are being released all the time, the percentage of stuff worth playing is minute. And the percentage of stuff that actually evokes excitement is smaller still.

Whole genres are dead, while the "new" stuff that replaced them is 40 times more shallow and pointless. If any of you have played the new blockbuster games, such as Far Cry 5, it's just depressing how mindless and pointless the new approach to gameplay and design is.

NA and Western European RPG scene is dead. Companies like Obsidian, nXile, Larian are just churning out mediocre stuff, while whales like Bethesda and Bioware are coming up with brilliant designs in the fields of microtransactions, monetization, and gambling. The only hope is now in Eastern/Central Europe.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Insomnia: The Ark is one I've been watching for a few years now. They originally wanted to make it an MMO, but they changed it to a single player RPG. About life aboard a gigantic wreck in space. They've switched from an Isometric view to third person, which I don't love but still, I'm interested in it

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Have you considered some older titles?
At worst - you will destroy good memories and nostalgia.
At best - you get something better than vast majority of recent releases.

Still waiting for Under Rail - Expedition ...

Morkar Left

Star Traders Frontiers
Stellar Tactics
Lurking II A Madness

ELEX!
RoA 1+2 HD!

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Seriously though, why do you need to look forward to games? I've never hyped myself for a game in 30 years and I end up playing more games that I enjoy than those I don't. When you're in the mood to play a new game, just go browsing for games and see what floats to the top of re-click interest.

Repressed Homosexual
ANY time a modern game is made by more than a handful of people then it is not worth playing. I found that to be a very good rule of thumb.

The real reason modern games are shit is because millennials are degenerate retards with nothing worthwhile to say. A game ONLY has a chance to be good if there are very few of them making the game. Then the game has a slight chance of not being ruined completely by a retard.

This doesn't apply as much to Japanese games because the Japanese are not as degenerate or retarded, although the situation is certainly worsening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom