Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder if Shadow Tactics had any effect on this update happening. You won't hear me complain about it if it leads to newly discovered fans playing more of these great games, though.

funkadelik

Arcane
Desperados was fucking amaze-balls. That cliff-side bandit hideout was fun as fuck, it took some patience sneaking around to get it right and not totally fuck yourself.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This was pretty much the only decent Commandos clone ever made.

Robin Hood, Desperados 2 etc. were much weaker games. Although the Shadow Tactics demo was very solid. Fuck I completely missed out on this one during the Steam sale.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Have this on GOG but went ahead and threw a dollar to Steam as well. This is the kind of thing I want to see more of.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This just got updated:
Update: Modern System Compatibility (Win8, Win10, Mac and Linux support) and Demo Level added!

Dear Desperados Fans,

We are happy to tell you that Desperados - Wanted Dead or Alive now runs well on modern operating systems:
Windows 7 / 8 / 10
New: Mac and Linux support!

Includes a long lost demo mission where Cooper, Doc and Kate free a town from Outlaws.
A challenging level from back in the old days when some games still had rather difficult demos

Language selection has been added in game.
Main game: French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, English
Demo mission: French, German, Spanish, English

Enjoy the update and let us know your thoughts in the forum or the brand new Desperados discord channel:
https://discord.gg/KR96Z9K

Cheers,
Your THQ Nordic Team

:incline:

Edit: Beginning of the Demo level:

My god I had no idea, my dick can only get so hard, FUCK!

I remember replacing the map from the demo with one of the tutorial levels of the retail version in order to play it. This is so cool, not because of the patch itself but because the current IP holder is giving a shit. Is there a copy of the patch for the original CDROM release?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember replacing the map from the demo with one of the tutorial levels of the retail version in order to play it. This is so cool, not because of the patch itself but because the current IP holder is giving a shit. Is there a copy of the patch for the original CDROM release?
You just missed it being on sale for $1. Just buy it again you cheap skeleton, they earned it.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You just missed it being on sale for $1. Just buy it again you cheap skeleton, they earned it.

Bought!

Sykar

Arcane
I know this is a
:necro:
but man did I loved this game back in the day took me long time to finish because I was trying to minimize casualties as a personal challenge when the game allowed it. Today I stumbled upon one of the worst Lets Plays I have ever seen on YT. I mean people are entitled to play however they want but that guy mostly just spams reload and brute forces his way through the game rarely really using his squad in a synergistic way apart from the plain obvious like Sam tying up unconcious people. I had to stop after a couple of episodes because I got tired of the spam reload shit. If you want something to look at to either laugh or despair at, there you go:

Now I feel like buying it on GoG if only it were available there, maybe Steam has it, and play it again. I lost my version a long time ago. :negative:

catfood

AGAIN
I know this is a
:necro:
but man did I loved this game back in the day took me long time to finish because I was trying to minimize casualties as a personal challenge when the game allowed it. Today I stumbled upon one of the worst Lets Plays I have ever seen on YT. I mean people are entitled to play however they want but that guy mostly just spams reload and brute forces his way through the game rarely really using his squad in a synergistic way apart from the plain obvious like Sam tying up unconcious people. I had to stop after a couple of episodes because I got tired of the spam reload shit. If you want something to look at to either laugh or despair at, there you go:

Now I feel like buying it on GoG if only it were available there, maybe Steam has it, and play it again. I lost my version a long time ago. :negative:

https://af.gog.com/game/desperados_wanted_dead_or_alive?as=1649904300

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I reinstalled this after playing the Shadow Tactics standalone expansion and after all these years I'm still impressed by the AI. In the mission where you have to steal the horses after the poor Chinese guy gets killed, sometimes enemies randomly decide to gun down civilians on the street, immediately causing a game over. Amazing.

Puukko

Arcane
Reading up, I had been under the impression I had the full version of this as a kid, but that restored demo mission sounds exactly like what I remember bashing my head against back then. I've meant to try it out again for years, good to know it's patched these days.

Üstad

Arcane
Is there wide screen resolution fix for this game? Also is it worth playing or should I just skip to playing desperados 3 instead?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Old thread, but just FYI, that compatiblity update was a bad rushjob in anticipation of the Desperados III release. I know for a fact they introduced several new bugs with this version and the "roll n' shoot" feature doesn't work anymore. You also can't use cheats, although I don't care about that.

It wouldn't be too bad, but almost everytime these silly updates are released we lose access to the old installers. I had to go to the high seas to download the gog installer of a pre-update version.

It's nice the demo level is available though, so that's a plus.

ironmask

Arbiter
I'm half-way through desperados 1, and I already like it more then 3. The western atmosphere is much stronger in this game. The per-rendered graphics have held up well and it's still look great even today. The soundtrack is pretty good too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom