Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny: New FPS Revealed. Morgoth no longer fapping

Derek Larp

Cipher
ByaWQmKCUAE9BHB.jpg:large

I found this cartoon by Tim Buckley mildly amusing.

I think I might have a brain tumor.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-bug-reveals-unreleased-content/1100-6422614/

So- are we done pre-odering yet? Has everyone finally learned their lesson?

If this doesn't stop you from doing it again, I'm not sure what will. And if you don't see the direct correlation between the two, god help you.

Don't worry people, Bungie will release 2-3 GBs updates that are filled with useless data to make it look like the content was not already on the disk.

lmao

I wouldn't be surprised if this is intentional and planned to generate hype trains for the DLCs. Maybe people will think they will be the best DLCs ever and blindly buy them just like they thought they were getting the best game ever.

hype your game, release barebones game, hype the dlc, sell half a game for the price of three

best plan, or bestest plan?

While Destiny isn't as good as it was hyped up to be, it's still a very solid game with tons of future potential. Did they take some cheap shots with their DLC? Maybe but there is also free timed content every week and DLC is what most big game companies are doing now days. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

It's a little hard to compare it to other games because it's really the only one of it's kind. I've heard it compared to the "loot-shooter" Borderlands (which is a joke of a game imo) but BL doesn't have a competitive multiplayer like Destiny does. I've also heard it compared to other dungeon looters (or MMO's) like Diablo 3 which is also a very solid game. However not only does Destiny have competitive multiplayer, it also is in first person. It's not the best game ever by far...but I expect it to start slow and build up to be something big (very similar with what happened to the Mass Effect series).

Either way, there will always be a huge crowd to hate huge games. Don't be surprised when they decide to jump on that bandwagon

"stop nitpicking, it's fun."

-

ME2 is easily a top 5 game from last gen

Coming from a story-fiend cinephile I wouldnt expect much else.

It had great gameplay and one of the best stories ever told in video games. ME3 is on par with GoW in terms of gameplay. COD 4 was probably the best shooter last gen.

I like how the "it's a movie, not a game" jab goes completely over his head

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
He got paid to give a damn about the plot and didn't.
What plot? That gibberish? I don't understand people, he got paid to do a technobabble vomiting robot whose only function is to hack doors open because you are too stupid to do so and people complain about his performace? How about the hack that wrote his lines and think technobabble is the same as being spiritual and profound?

I thought he did a good (for what it is) job. The problems are

a) he's not a voice actor. "Actor with speaking roles" is not the same thing

b) the script doesn't give him much to work with, because videogames

c) he's playing a fucking robot

Will never understand why people enjoy a loot grind. In any game. Ever.

It's addictive. Constant rewards, even if most rewards are trash, tell our sapiens brain to keep going.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So they're selling Mass Effect 3 Co-Op for $75
:lol:

Kill me.

Black

Arcane
You know, "told you so" about this one doesn't seem so satisfying since almost everyone saw it coming.

Derek Larp

Cipher
It's addictive. Constant rewards, even if most rewards are trash, tell our sapiens brain to keep going.

I should rephrase. I don't understand why anyone with any fucking sense falls for it.

It's the video-game equivalent of these gambling machines. Nobody should fall for that shit, but here they are, day after day, sitting in front of the machine and pissing away their livelyhood, obsessing about the big win, it should be right around the corner, just once more, just once more...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's the video-game equivalent of these gambling machines. Nobody should fall for that shit, but here they are, day after day, sitting in front of the machine and pissing away their livelyhood, obsessing about the big win, it should be right around the corner, just once more, just once more...

Old Hans

Arcane
This game is blowing my mind. It can't be real.

Bungie spent 3+ years designing a game that boils down to:

faction grinding for 100 tokens a week to buy vendor gear
bounty board tasks
the loneliest hub ever created. I felt like I was in purgatory

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
If you like grinding or not is besides the point, the real fools are the ones that defend Activision shitty practices "Hey, Destiny isn't as bad as people say, just wait until they release the DLC with the true ending and the story, you will see." Even Path of Exile and Warframe had more stuff at release and they are fucking F2P.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

I should rephrase. I don't understand why anyone with any fucking sense falls for it.

1. It's about swag, especially in an MMO game. "Hey look at my shinny 'legendary' gun! That means I've grinded at my shitty job 120% harder than you." Just like in real life.

2. In a good Diablo clone, the randomized loot drop is meant to give a rogue-like vibe: you're supposed to make do with whatever gear you find, make a build with whatever shit random stats your sword has and when you accidentally get a gold weapon, it's just icing on the cake. The build-around-randomized-stats thing is THE meta-game. For Diablo and Path of Exile etc., it is THE game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. It's about swag, especially in an MMO game. "Hey look at my shinny 'legendary' gun! That means I've grinded at my shitty job 120% harder than you." Just like in real life.

2. In a good Diablo clone, the randomized loot drop is meant to give a rogue-like vibe: you're supposed to make do with whatever gear you find, make a build with whatever shit random stats your sword has and when you accidentally get a gold weapon, it's just icing on the cake. The build-around-randomized-stats thing is THE meta-game. For Diablo and Path of Exile etc., it is THE game.

Again, I'm not confused about this. What I am saying is: 1) I don't give a shit, and 2) I'm surprised human beings can be dumb enough to give a shit.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
People have been spending piles and piles of money on what amounts to scraps of cloth because of a logo slapped on the side for decades. This is not a recent phenomenon, only thing that's changed is the medium on which the content is sold.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Haven't heard whatever Dinklage voiced for this, but based on everything I've heard about voiceovers for video games, I'm not at all surprised it was crap. The general method seems to be 'Give VA the script after he's at the mic, give no instruction or context at all, record 3 times, take best reading, move on.' Which of course results in readings that are either totally flat or wildly innapropriate in tone, except for the one in a million chance the actor simply guessed how it should sound.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What I heard of it didn't sound uninterested so much as just more like he was reading a narration. I doubt he had much to go on. Granted, it's too bad because he seems like a talented actor and there are some who knocked their VA roles out of the park (like Stephen Merchant in Portal 2).

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

Again, I'm not confused about this. What I am saying is: 1) I don't give a shit, and 2) I'm surprised human beings can be dumb enough to give a shit.

I'm surprised human beings are dumb enough to waste life on vydia games.

Avellion

Erudite
The Dark Below DLC announced

• Level cap raised by 2 levels
  • 1 New Raid
  • 2 New Strikes (of which, 1 is exclusive to PS3/PS4 owners)
  • 3 New PvP maps
  • 3 New Story missions
  • 20 US Dollars

bobby-kotick-the-devil.jpg
Strikes again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom