Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Desura goes bankrupt

Destroid

Arcane
zwanzig_zwoelf Desura won't give you any more exposure compared to itch and humble and those stores have a more favourable royalty split anyway.

zwanzig_zwoelf

zwanzig_zwoelf Desura won't give you any more exposure compared to itch and humble and those stores have a more favourable royalty split anyway.
Thanks for the tip, I've heard about itch.io before, but I didn't know about the reliability of the store.
And didn't know that Humble offers non-Steam games too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*doesn't have Desura account*

*shrugs*

But yeah, interesting to know how they'll resolve the gamer catalog issue.

Severian Silk

Only game I bought on Desura was Underrail, and I already got the steam code for it.

Turjan

Arcane
I was waiting for this. I always wondered how they made any money, and the changing ownership was not a good sign. I guess I theoretically have a few hundred games there, but never spent a single dime. Which does not sound like a good business model, if I am somewhat of a typical user.

Don Peste

Arcane
Super important news update

Games that might get lost if Desura closes:

https://twitter.com/IndiePlague/status/607194116712222721
https://twitter.com/IndiePlague/status/607195824636985344
https://twitter.com/IndiePlague/status/607199277559988225
https://twitter.com/IndiePlague/status/607224597247852544

One of them is Star Prospector. Remember the MS Paint Competition? I was who contacted the dev and got the keys for the competition. But never got credited... I should brolapse the OP. :argh:

Anyway, Lagole Gon, AngryKobold, dibens, felipepepe, Primordial Soup Nazi, Telengard and Gakkone you should all hurry and make sure you have a copy of the game properly stored, in case they shut down the place!!!1

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Next is steam and gog.
Steam is too big to fail!

:lol:

That's what's been said about all big companies that went tits up. Oh, they are too big to fail!

But... "The bigger they are the harder they fall".

I bet everybody felt perfectly safe with Desura too. After all digital is the future! How can you fail with such a profitable and well intended business? Save PC gaming, make billions over night and live forever!

amdus

Arbiter
For fucks sake, bought Underrail from Derpsura:negative:, should've got it on GamersGate instead or Humble Bundle if it were available from there. I hope Styg get his payments from Desura.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I only have two games on Desura - Project Zomboid and Xenonauts. Only the latter I am concerned about when Desura goes tits up.

Athelas

Arcane
Next is steam and gog.

That's what's been said about all big companies that went tits up. Oh, they are too big to fail!

I bet everybody felt perfectly safe with Desura too. After all digital is the future! How can you fail with such a profitable and well intended business? Save PC gaming, make billions over night and live forever!
At this point Steam is no longer just a company, it's an infrastructure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Next is steam and gog.

You will fail before Steam fails.

Those who think physical copies are perfectly safe clearly never had to deal with nosy women who thought they were being helpful by getting rid of those old boxes that were just taking up space.

d3d632533d4c4bea291e05d4ab62f053.jpg

366bcd326bac2aa5a325558b5d4e7c2b.jpg

10914347_752742564810275_1220506287_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Well, that's a bummer. I'm guessing most of Crystal Shard's sales of Quasar was through Desura and we won't see a cent of that now. Though it probably didn't amount to much anyway, so not a big loss.

Telengard

Arcane
Next is steam and gog.

A better example would be Atari, which had a market share the likes of which today's bigs can only dream of. It ruled uncontested as a multi-billion dollar company in the 80s. And it blew it all in only a few short years, taking down the entire infrastructure it had built with it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Next is steam and gog.

A better example would be Atari, which had a market share the likes of which today's bigs can only dream of. It ruled uncontested as a multi-billion dollar company in the 80s. And it blew it all in only a few short years, taking down the entire infrastructure it had built with it.

I think Atari and Commodore are not good examples. They were small compared to todays giants, and also because they were not successful because of a good strategy but because they were there when the market exploded.
When they tried to establish and repeat their luck had run out and one mistake followed another. In Commodore's case just think of incompatibility between Amiga versions, or CDTV, or Amiga killing off C64 which was their greatest success, or C128 and so much more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The real reason that Atari isn't a good example is because manufacturing and distributing Atari consoles and cartridges cost lots of money.

Even if PC gaming went to shit for a year or more, Steam's operating costs can't be so high that it couldn't just keep on going indefinitely. At worst, Valve would have to cancel a few luxury projects.

Barbarian

Arcane
Who ever used it? That's what I thought. There's a good reason why it closed.

SniperHF

Arcane
Steam as a service will always be valuable due to its subscriber base. Even if Valve was headed completely down the drain the line of venture capitalists and such to buy it and continuing operating it would be enormous. Valve can fail, Steam would live on.

Don Peste

Arcane
Battlemass GV4J8-RN8Y9-9TGQ6-AL8VZ-PKAYF
Little Gardens B5TFT-7KVZY-1BKBN-AGMIE-8PFO6
Witcher 3 Seeks the Troof (Steam) 04EFV-E7M46-2KVQE

Awesome!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom