Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Details about Obsidian's cancelled Stormlands project revealed at Eurogamer

KevinV12000

Arcane
This is, unfortunately, life in private business. One minute you have a deal with MegaCorp and you're feeling good, then MegaCorp changes its mind and your scrambling to meet payroll. It's a minor miracle that Obsidian was able to stay afloat and hats off to the owners who pulled it off.

There has been a lot of Obsidian bashing these days, but I urge people to keep the facts of business life firmly in mind when doing so. Given objective market realities--which we don't like, we're a minority tendency, but they are still real, especially for people personally writing checks to meet payroll--is there any other publisher that still produces COMPUTER GAMES in this video game era?

Go Obsidian go, the one and only good thing about Irvine, Calif.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
post-apocalyptic magical setting

I am SO FUCKING SICK OF FANTASY SETTINGS, but THAT I would like to see.

Maybe some day they can do a setting like that. :salute:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

5a2fa2ce1155f0b03617c50a4a161b77.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They would have to be very very careful to not copy that setting (because of HASBRO/WoTC), but something similar would be awesome. :salute:

Quillon

Arcane

Doesn't Tyranny have a post-apocalyptic magical setting? :P

Azarkon

Arcane
Currently, however, Obsidian's hands are full, the 175-person studio occupied across four and a half projects: the Tyranny expansion, Pillars of Eternity 2, a small Pathfinder card game, a small idea the studio is "spinning up" and a considerable something else. And I'll tell you a bit more about that next week as well.

...Obsidian has 175 people? Tell me most of these people are working on the new game and not their existing franchises, because I can't imagine how you would need over 100 people to put out content light expansions like Tyranny's and Pillars of Eternity 2.

Flou

Arbiter
Currently, however, Obsidian's hands are full, the 175-person studio occupied across four and a half projects: the Tyranny expansion, Pillars of Eternity 2, a small Pathfinder card game, a small idea the studio is "spinning up" and a considerable something else. And I'll tell you a bit more about that next week as well.

...Obsidian has 175 people? Tell me most of these people are working on the new game and not their existing franchises, because I can't imagine how you would need over 100 people to put out content light expansions like Tyranny's and Pillars of Eternity 2.

About 10 on Pathfinder
40-50 on Deadfire
Indiana is a bit bigger than Deadfire so around 60-70 people on that
Around 20 people on Tyranny
Rest are spinning up a new project, some are HR, Q&A etc.

Edit: Some people work on all projects though and some of the Deadfire team has moved onto other projects etc.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom