Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It'll be 25% off by Christmas.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This will release with denuvo, so those that are hoping to pirate before buying or just outright pirate it, are shit out of luck.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's more, all these overpowered augs now regenerate charge in full. Looks popamole+
Wait, I haven't been following this, they got rid of the stupid potion chugging candy bar spamming? Good, that was really piss poor in HR.
Uh haven't we talked about this before?
Haha, yeah, and I haven't changed my mind about anything since then. It was my biggest gripe with HR (followed closely by biased xp incentives and indistinguishable lethal/nonlethal gameplay), so if it's gone, to me that's a big deal.

But I guess the latest word is still continuous vs. burst? Whatever.

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
This will release with denuvo, so those that are hoping to pirate before buying or just outright pirate it, are shit out of luck.

Or just wait a few years for the "director's cut" so they fix the bosses and buy the game at the same/lower price + DLC.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Don't really bother me that they "improved" the gun-play parts of the genre, as the stealth approach was THE way to go at it in HR. Just hope the stealth play is just as good if not better in MD.

Going rambo in a game like this never appealed much to me. Add to that, I hope they give opportunities to play on "hardcore" mode with no help, UI, and maybe even disable or play down the "awesome" augs. Or you could simply not pick them to challenge yourself. Eh.

Ash

Arcane
the stealth approach was THE way to go at it in HR.

If no light-based stealth, no leaning, awesome button takedowns as your primary method of engagement, third person cover humping and regenerating invisibility is your thing, sure.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If no light-based stealth, no leaning, awesome button takedowns as your primary method of engagement, third person cover humping and regenerating invisibility is your thing, sure.
Wait, DX HR light have no effect on your sneaky sneak?

Its been a long time since i played it and didnt remember

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Wait, DX HR light have no effect on your sneaky sneak?

Its been a long time since i played it and didnt remember
I've just started playing it, I haven't noticed lighting affecting my visibility, let alone there being dark spots to hide in in the first place. It's like an updated version of Metal Gear Solid-style Pacman stealth, with the enemy-detecting radar and perspective-shifting cover vision et al.

Ash

Arcane
You're better off going combat. It's still not very notable but it's better than the garbage that is the stealth gameplay. I don't think the devs understood that Metal Gear Solid had a top-down camera perspective offering a very limited field of view hence the arguable need for a radar and a cover system. And that's all it had, it didn't have regenerating invisibility, time stopping one button insta-takedowns, see through walls and the like. HR features just about every stealth handholder ever conceptualized.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've recently started playing Humane Evolution as well. I like it a lot, but the stealth part is really silly with the handholding design. (Thankfully many helpers are optional augmentations.)

The most ludicrous part is how stealth areas have perfectly aligned cover chunks that you can dash between with the press of a button. All you need to make sure of is that no enemy is looking straight in your direction and you won't be detected. It's essentially a QTE.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You're better off going combat. It's still not very notable but it's better than the garbage that is the stealth gameplay. I don't think the devs understood that Metal Gear Solid had a top-down camera perspective offering a very limited field of view hence the arguable need for a radar and a cover system. And that's all it had, it didn't have regenerating invisibility, time stopping one button insta-takedowns, see through walls and the like. HR features just about every stealth handholder ever conceptualized.
The combat from what I've tried is already fairly popamole to the extreme given your limited health, and I can't help but try a lethal run. Maybe I'll do so in a second run.

I've just started playing it, I haven't noticed lighting affecting my visibility, let alone there being dark spots to hide in in the first place.
Yeah, I was gonna say ... what lighting?

Yeah, it's the kind of game where even the darkest areas have enough ambient light that you can see just fine. I presume this is done by this and many other games because people playing on consoles from 20 feet away would otherwise have problems seeing in dark areas and they don't want people to need to get up and adjust their TVs. Is there even a flashlight or other light source for the player in DXHR? In any case I'm pretty sure that DXHR detection boils down to "Is the player in my cone of sight? If so then he's detected".

Kind of funny that of all the FPS/RPG hybrids the ones with the most comprehensive stealth systems are probably Bethesda games.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stealth is fine so long as you play on the hardest setting for a moderate challenge.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's the kind of game where even the darkest areas have enough ambient light that you can see just fine. I presume this is done by this and many other games because people playing on consoles from 20 feet away would otherwise have problems seeing in dark areas.
To be honest, I'm fine with it here because it's very appropriate to the setting: perpetual night with little dim electric lights everywhere. It's, whaddayacall, atmospheric ... but yeah, a step backwards for stealth gameplay.

Coma White

Educated
I John McClane'd my way through Human Revolution -- guns and armor the whole way through. It was more challenging because of it, but it's certainly very doable.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Or just wait a few years for the "director's cut" so they fix the bosses and buy the game at the same/lower price + DLC.
By that I will no longer care.

You won't miss a single thing not even playing this. If you want to play an actual Deus Ex game, all you can play is the original. And that is pretty much it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What are you talking about, Human Revolution IS the first Deus Ex game!

It is hilarious when I did play that once. The horrible memory limitations (of consoles at the time), so the levels were like shoe-box in size.

I *get* what they were trying to do, but the horrible limitations of current consoles (and that is when they had a prime directive to release on) just completely utterly ruined all games designed for it since. They could not go back, and have the freedom they once had on a PC game. And it really shows.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The thing that ruined HR for me was that the game world felt fabricated with a forced directive in mind. It oozed with "Here, look at this! No, go there!" bullshit. The game world of the original DX felt more indifferent to the player. You entered a map and started messing around without any handholding, but this indifference is key to immersion. It's not like the real world gives a shit about you, either.

MD so far just looks like a prettier HR with an edgier Jensen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom