Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
HR is much more viable as a pure shooter and gives more enjoyment as one than original DX. Particularly because of incredibly retarded AI that DX had. Everyone simply ran at you so could blast them at point blank rage. Also better physics, sounds etc., which is obvious.
(cover system does help, trolololo)

Since Deus Ex uses Unreal Engine it still feels better as shooter than Human Revolution. Which is quite funny because the Deus Ex difficulty level makes stealth and cover seeking mandatory and takes everything away from being a shooter.
No, it isn't, because everyone runs at you straight forward, while screaming, ILL KILL U!.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If they do:
Allow a way to turn down all stealth helpers including that annoying mini map that show where every enemy is and where they are facing. I want to turn down all that shit and the game remain playable.
Make bigger levels with "realistic architecture" no more disguised corridors on mah Deus Ex. They should ape Dishonored all the way in terms of level design. They have 8 gigs of ram now and a good game to ape, they have no excuses now.
Add bigger and tougher, augmented soldiers that are immune to gas/shock/takedowns or alot more enemies on alarm, I felt the enemies were too little or too easy to kill/KO to make the combat fun. I was murdering whole rooms on seconds with my upgraded heavy rifle by the end.
Revamp the design of the weapons, not their visual but their sound, damage and accuracy, shotguns on DX HR are a bad joke. Heavy Rifle varied from so innacurate that was useless to so accurate that you could almost snipe with it. PEPS was a shitty concussion grenade with less ammo, submachine gun and assault rifle were too identical, the taser gun was so overpowered with its one shot KO, gas grenades should NOT KO all enemies on area of effect just distract them, revolver and later upgraded revolver killing basic mooks with one shot without headshots was too overpowered.
Allow different builds that actually feel different, the aug system on HR doesn't has enough of an impact on the game. If you are playing stealth, you should feel like a little bitch that must hide and if you are playing like a Rambo, you should be able to face the opposition with they throwing everything at you without hiding after two shots. If you invest on jumping, you should be jumping from buildings not barely jumping a fence.

It would make my opinion change from "nice try but kinda boring" from HR to "Hey, this is truly a good game." on this one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's like people keep loving the taste of a turd popsicle that is covered in delicious icing. If only they add another layer of delicious icing, this turd popsicle will be even better!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It's like people keep loving the taste of a turd popsicle that is covered in delicious icing. If only they add another layer of delicious icing, this turd popsicle will be even better!
Given what you are, you're probably the major expert of how turd tastes. Bet you can even discern between various types.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Given what you are, you're probably the major expert of how turd tastes. Bet you can even discern between various types.
He walked into that one.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Just like it didn't in original.

Not really, in the original you had more aug choices (both quantity and quality wise), some of which were mutually exclusive (which I always liked) because they went to the same slot and overall less upgrade canisters (the equivalent of praxis points in HR) so you needed to specialize more. In original DX a combat focused character had different aug build than a stealth focused one.

I beat HR several times and always ended up with same augs no matter whether I was focused on stealth or on combat, there's too much XP/praxis points and too little good aug choices. Now Mission Link was better in that regard, because I had to think in what to invest.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Allow different builds that actually feel different, the aug system on HR doesn't has enough of an impact on the game.
Just like it didn't in original. So, HR is a bad game, because it's not better than DX.
Wot? Gindrologist go play the original DX because or you didn't or you post drunk.
Well, tell me, pretty please, what other ''build types'' between stealthy ghost and run/jump and gun there were in DX? I hope you'll not bring up the swimming, medicine and low tech weps as an excuse for a build type.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Not really, in the original you had more aug choices (both quantity and quality wise), some of which were mutually exclusive (which I always liked) because they went to the same slot and overall less upgrade canisters (the equivalent of praxis points in HR) so you needed to specialize more. In original DX a combat focused character had different aug build than a stealth focused one.

I beat HR several times and always ended up with same augs no matter whether I was focused on stealth or on combat, there's too much XP/praxis points and too little good aug choices. Now Mission Link was better in that regard, because I had to think in what to invest.
I agree you with this one, but it just confirms stealth vs combat build, which is only two choices in DX. HR like all modern games wants every sappy kiddo to be able to have all the skills and perks that the game has in a single run. Yeah, it's lame. But gameplay wise that doesn't change much, because you will still play either stealthy or aggressive depending on which style you prefer. And just as in DX in HR there are areas/situations, where you are forced into heavy duty combat anyway.

I do agree that the praxis system could be more refined though.

Love

Cipher
No, it isn't, because everyone runs at you straight forward, while screaming, ILL KILL U!.

Your description reads more like the enemies in Aliens Versus Predator, another classic and fast shooter. But judging from your posts you would probably prefer the 2010 version because more Aliens dipsy-doodle.

Well, tell me, pretty please, what other ''build types'' between stealthy ghost and run/jump and gun there were in DX? I hope you'll not bring up the swimming, medicine and low tech weps as an excuse for a build type.

I was never limited from my stealth build to pack out my assault rifle and start shooting the place up and sneak away, which is pretty much what the guys from Eidos admitted to not get right in Human Revolution.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Your description reads more like the enemies in Aliens Versus Predator, another classic and fast shooter. But judging from your posts you would probably prefer the 2010 version because more Aliens dipsy-doodle.
Judging by my posts i have actually played the fucking game.

I was never limited from my stealth build to pack out my assault rifle and start shooting the place up and sneak away, which is pretty much what the guys from Eidos admitted to not get right in Human Revolution.
Then where is the problem? I could do that in DX too. I simply didn't like that sort of gameplay. Hacking the turrets and robots to kill their own proteges was way more satisfying. Killing them with an assault rifle or a GEP gun would probably be even more easier though.

Love

Cipher
Then where is the problem? I could do that in DX too. I simply didn't like that sort of gameplay. Hacking the turrets and robots to kill their own proteges was way more satisfying. Killing them with an assault rifle or a GEP gun would probably be even more easier though.

I was referring to the original because your post seemed to suggest, that it also would only let you sneak or go guns blazing. Which is simply wrong and the developers of Human Revolution even admitted, that they fucked up their game in exactly that way because they don't have this grey areas as the article calls it in between.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
They fucked it up the same way most moderrn devs do - allowing protag to have all skills/traits in one play through. So the replayability factors goes into garbage can. That is true, especially given that just like in the original or IW, there are no C&C in the game to go back and do it differently. Only valid point where DX excels on top of HR was better augmentation three/development. Especially given that some of the HR augs were useless from the get go, at least for players, who played the old games and were familiar with the system. Like the whole stealth enhancement three or battery upgrade (i took it and now realize 'm retard to invest even a single praxis jar into it).
The hit through the wall, jump 3 meters high and ability to carry/throw heavy objects was way better investment although it doesn't seem that way in the first walkthrough. Oh, and the parachute jump. Saves so much time.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It doesn't change shit, because you can simply avoid
popamoledex.png
if you want. The same way how you can disable quest compass in some of the games. So you DO NOT because it's available? And it's game's fault? You fickle, weak willed and delusional pussies really make my day.

Love

Cipher
It doesn't change shit, because you can simply avoid
popamoledex.png
if you want. The same way how you can disable quest compass in some of the games. So you DO NOT because it's available? And it's game's fault? You fickle, weak willed and delusional pussies really make my day.

Of course you can avoid it. But then you can't stealth the game because the level design is forcing you to use it, which the designers also admitted.
And like I already wrote, you can't get into shootouts on Deux Ex difficulty without resorting to it. Actually you can't get into any cover at all without it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
How is it forcing it? Not enough vents for you?
And what is actually wrong with having to go into cover in shoot out? You want it to be like in original DX, where you can simply run at them screaming 'Jeronimo'? Besides the usual codexian kneejerk reaction, which seems to quickly infect even newcomers, what exactly is so bad about the cover system to begin with? I have crossed whole levels in basic crouch mode, when i didn't feel like shooting anyone, but it's kinda logical, that if you DO want to turn it into showdown, you will need to get a cover. Is that unreasonable? I mean, Jensen is strong, but he's not terminator ffs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect DX: MD will end up taking a page out of Skyrim's book and just add lots more augs. They'll be like perks, you won't be able to get all of them.

We'll see, though.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I loved DEHR, but yes, the story was a definitive let down. The narration was just NPC A telling you to go to NPC B for intel, but B tells you that first you must do a job for C, before being sent to D who tells you that damn, that intel was just fake but E has the real answer and goddamnit ! E is in custody, so you need F to help him but he'll only help if you go talk to G and...

... To sum up, nothing much happens in DEHR. That's pretty much what dissapointed me the most in that game. Otherwise, the atmosphere and gameplay were of great quality, besides the boss fights.

T. Reich

Arcane
Of course you can avoid it. But then you can't stealth the game because the level design is forcing you to use it, which the designers also admitted.
And like I already wrote, you can't get into shootouts on Deux Ex difficulty without resorting to it. Actually you can't get into any cover at all without it.

Bullshit. This guy - http://lparchive.org/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution/ - played DX:HR without using the wall-hug stealth gimmick. While this Let's Play is not about maximum stealth, where he did go stealthily, the old-school (crouch) approach was enough to do the trick. Similarly, he engaged in a good amount of firefights without using the wall-hug trick, and it all worked out well.

People like you, who claim that DX:HR can't be done without :popamole:, have no idea what you're talking about.

I suspect DX: MD will end up taking a page out of Skyrim's book and just add lots more augs. They'll be like perks, you won't be able to get all of them.
We'll see, though.

The big problem with DX:HR's aug availability wasn't just the amount of Praxis available to the player. It's also the fact that in DX (as well as in DX:IW) there was a very simple mechanical limitation that was absent in DX:HR - you could only install so many augs on you, and a lot of differently-focused augs would occupy the same slots. In DX:HR you could pick any and all augs as long as you had the Praxis. I imagine that if DX:HR had limits, it wouldn't be as retardo. Like if you took Typhoon you wouldn't be able to take Invisibility or Ballistic armor, or the overall number of praxis points you could spend on a body part would be limited.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How is it forcing it? Not enough vents for you?
And what is actually wrong with having to go into cover in shoot out? You want it to be like in original DX, where you can simply run at them screaming 'Jeronimo'? Besides the usual codexian kneejerk reaction, which seems to quickly infect even newcomers, what exactly is so bad about the cover system to begin with? I have crossed whole levels in basic crouch mode, when i didn't feel like shooting anyone, but it's kinda logical, that if you DO want to turn it into showdown, you will need to get a cover. Is that unreasonable? I mean, Jensen is strong, but he's not terminator ffs.
Hiding behind cover waiting for health to regenerate is a boring activity. While DX is honestly even easier as a shooter if you spend any reasonable amount of augs/skills on combat, the simple fact that it's more run and gun makes it more exciting.

T. Reich

Arcane
I loved DEHR, but yes, the story was a definitive let down. The narration was just NPC A telling you to go to NPC B for intel, but B tells you that first you must do a job for C, before being sent to D who tells you that damn, that intel was just fake but E has the real answer and goddamnit ! E is in custody, so you need F to help him but he'll only help if you go talk to G and...

... To sum up, nothing much happens in DEHR. That's pretty much what dissapointed me the most in that game. Otherwise, the atmosphere and gameplay were of great quality, besides the boss fights.

I'd agree that quests in DX:HR involved a good deal of probably unnecessary legwork and backtracking, but on the global scale it wasn't much different from DX, where you had to fly from one continent to another in order to meet the next person who would move the plot forward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom